ITA L.Bronzetti vs LAT J.Ostapenko (13)

USA J.Pegula (11) vs CHN Q.Wang
UKR A.Kalinina vs Qualifiée
EGY M.Sherif vs UKR M.Kostyuk
USA C.Liu vs SLO T.Zidansek (24)

--- E.Alexandrova (30) vs BEL G.Minnen
ROU I.Begu vs ITA J.Paolini
FRA L.Jeanjean (W) vs ESP N.Parrizas Diaz
FRA T.Andrianjafitrimo (W) vs CZE KA.Pliskova (8)

ESP P.Badosa (3) vs FRA F.Ferro (W)
Qualifiée vs SLO K.Juvan
Qualifiée vs --- K.Rakhimova
Qualifiée vs --- V.Kudermetova (29)

USA M.Keys (22) vs --- A.Kalinskaya
USA T.Townsend vs FRA C.Garcia
USA K.Volynets (W) vs SUI V.Golubic
NED A.Rus vs KAZ E.Rybakina (16)

USA D.Collins (9) vs Qualifiée
USA S.Rogers vs CZE T.Martincova
HUN P.Udvardy vs Qualifiée
(SWE R.Peterson vs --- D.Kasatkina (20)

ITA C.Giorgi (28) vs CHN S.Zhang
Qualifiée vs KAZ Y.Putintseva
USA M.Brengle vs Qualifiée
FRA C.Paquet vs --- A.Sabalenka (7)

Bottom Half

TUN O.Jabeur (6) vs POL M.Linette
ITA M.Trevisan vs GBR H.Dart
Qualifiée vs AUS D.Saville (W)
HUN A.Bondar vs CZE P.Kvitova (32)

GER A.Kerber (21) vs POL M.Frech
GBR H.Watson vs FRA E.Jacquemot (W)
--- A.Sasnovich vs CHN X.Wang
Qualifiée vs GBR E.Raducanu (12)

SUI B.Bencic (14) vs Qualifiée
CAN B.Andreescu vs Qualifiée
CZE K.Siniakova vs CRO P.Martic
FRA K.Mladenovic vs CAN L.Fernandez (17)

USA A.Anisimova (27) vs JPN N.Osaka
Qualifiée vs Qualifiée
FRA C.Monnet (W) vs CZE K.Muchova
FRA C.Burel vs GRE M.Sakkari (4)

EST A.Kontaveit (5) vs AUS A.Tomljanovic
AUS A.Sharma vs --- V.Gracheva
USA L.Davis vs CZE M.Bouzkova
ROU EG.Ruse vs BEL E.Mertens (31)

USA C.Gauff (18) vs Qualifiée
BEL A.Van Uytvanck vs USA A.Li
BRA B.Haddad Maia vs Qualifiée
EST K.Kanepi vs ESP G.Muguruza (10)

--- V.Azarenka (15) vs ROU A.Bogdan
FRA O.Dodin vs GER A.Petkovic
Qualifiée vs HUN D.Galfi
USA B.Pera vs SUI J.Teichmann (23)

ROU S.Cirstea (26) vs GER T.Maria
USA S.Stephens vs Qualifiée
COL C.Osorio vs FRA H.Tan (W)
FRA D.Parry vs CZE B.Krejcikova (2)

by meganfernandez Pegula would get Kalilina in R2, which is tough, and she's in Iga's quarter. Bad draw for her.
Leylah, Bencic and Andreescu are in the same section. Only one of them makes the fourth round.
Badosa has a soft draw, other than being in Iga's half.
Collins could potentially get Kasatkina in R3 and Sabalenka in R4. So-so draw.
Muguruza will lose to Kanepi in R1.

by ti-amie
meganfernandez wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm Pegula would get Kalilina in R2, which is tough, and she's in Iga's quarter. Bad draw for her.
Leylah is in the same section as Bencic and Andreescu. Only one of them makes the fourth round.
I thought the same thing.

by Liamvalid My vote is for Halep. Not that I think it’ll happen, but I think if Halep plays her best it might be good that she gets Iga early on in the draw

by dmforever Osaka vs Anisimova in the first round. Ouch.

Kevin

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:41 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm Pegula would get Kalilina in R2, which is tough, and she's in Iga's quarter. Bad draw for her.
Leylah is in the same section as Bencic and Andreescu. Only one of them makes the fourth round.
I thought the same thing.
Makes three of us. The way she is playing these days, Kanepi is too hard a 1R.
Osaka-Anisimova. Anisimova in 3. But Anisimova.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm Badosa has a soft draw, other than being in Iga's half.
Disagree on this one after looking at her draw. Badosa would do well take it match by match. She's got a draw where I can see her being upset and I wouldn't be surprised, so not what I'd term a soft draw. But definitely no big names to get through in the first few rounds.

by ponchi101 Worst case scenario for Paula is: Ferro, Juvan, Kudermetova. With today's parity in the WTA (except Iga, we agree), that is as good as you can hope for.
Sure, she can lose to all of those. But she should beat them too. (Yes, I know, big SHOULD and I just jinxed her to death, but...)
Raducanu has to take this opportunity. Qualifier, maybe Sasnovihc, maybe Kerber. That is doable. It should take only 2 MTO's per match.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 pm Worst case scenario for Paula is: Ferro, Juvan, Kudermetova. With today's parity in the WTA (except Iga, we agree), that is as good as you can hope for.
This is where I disagree. There are much easier draws in the early rounds than someone who got to the 4th Round of RG 2 years ago and should've gotten to the QF (got finessed by Kenin and her dad) and a top 30 player that has a winning record against you. Should it go well for Paula? Yes. But I've learned with her, things aren't as predictable as they ought to be for someone with enough consistency to be ranked in the Top 5. That being said, since I'm saying this, she'll handle these two well, win a tough match I thought she'd lose, then she'll lose to someone I thought she'd beat fairly easily.

by Liamvalid Top 1/4 toughest for me. Ons has a decent draw

by ashkor87 'other' for me is Anisimova, Alexandrova or Rybakina...
If I had to choose one, Anisimova...
I know some people here are supporting Halep..I like her too but she isn't as good any more as she used to be..and even then, ould have had no chance against Swiatek of today...if the operative word in the poll is 'challenge' I would say 'nobody' should be the option to choose!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:28 am 'other' for me is Anisimova, Alexandrova or Rybakina...
If I had to choose one, Anisimova...
I know some people here are supporting Halep..I like her too but she isn't as good any more as she used to be..and even then, ould have had no chance against Swiatek of today...if the operative word in the poll is 'challenge' I would say 'nobody' should be the option to choose!
Anisimova, yes. Maybe Ostapenko or Sabalenka, if one of them finds a zone. What about Collins? She has the belief... Rybakina and Alexandrova would have to outperform their recent results quite a bit. I could see it from Rybakina more than Alexandrova. Samsonova might have some confidence after taking a set off Iga in Stuttgart. I just don't see anyone blasting through Iga in her current form. Iga will have to have an off day or get really nervous, and so far she hasn't this season. But who knows, this is the big one. Ostapenko is the last person to beat her.

I wonder how much the ball will be a factor. Listened to Marc Lucero's podcast yesterday (he coaches Stevie Johnson) and he said it plays so differently than other balls. Said it's like a b-b gun bullet hitting the court, very hard and speedy. Said kick serves are grabbing the court really well. This probably favors Iga even more. Doesn't she have a good kick serve? But also someone with a lot of power.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 pm Raducanu has to take this opportunity. Qualifier, maybe Sasnovihc, maybe Kerber. That is doable. It should take only 2 MTO's per match.
Based on quotes I've seen, this is damn near a guarantee. She's setting the stage for injury excuse already at her post-game press conference.

by jazzyg If Ostapenko can actually win a couple of matches, I believe her third round with Halep will determine Swiatek's toughest opponent.

Ostapenko beat Swiatek on hard courts earlier this year--the last time she lost--and Halep was a point or two from winning the first set against her on hard courts. I don't the like the chances of either of them, but I can't see anyone else with any chance at all.

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:28 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 pm Raducanu has to take this opportunity. Qualifier, maybe Sasnovihc, maybe Kerber. That is doable. It should take only 2 MTO's per match.
Based on quotes I've seen, this is damn near a guarantee. She's setting the stage for injury excuse already at her post-game press conference.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:32 pm
It's unusual for Emma to play someone younger and greener on the tour than her. Wonder if that dynamic will hurt or help her.

by ponchi101 I don't think it will make a difference. Did she know of Noskova prior to being told they are scheduled to the 1st round?
Right now, I say Emma's problems are solely stemming from her. Her body breaks down to easily; it seems to be the root of it all.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 pm I don't think it will make a difference. Did she know of Noskova prior to being told they are scheduled to the 1st round?
Right now, I say Emma's problems are solely stemming from her. Her body breaks down to easily; it seems to be the root of it all.
I'll believe her body is breaking down at the rate it seems when she doesn't get an "injury" at a highly opportune moment in the match. She's like the opposite of Bianca at this point where this is concerned. It is not remotely obvious Emma is injured when she calls a trainer, she regularly plays the next tournament after the supposed injury, the injury bothers her a good deal less if she turns the match around, and has disappeared if she really turns it around, only to reappear in the next match when she's in trouble again, etc. Bianca was calling the trainer when she was up 5-2 in a set. That is not what Emma has been doing. She's been calling Yastremska-like MTO's, it's why she's getting a reputation among fans that aren't Emma-stans.

by Deuce Cori Gauff is playing Canadian qualifier Rebecca Marino in the 1st round.
This presents a dilemma for Leylah...

Rebecca has been a mentor and 'big sister' of sorts for Leylah, and the two of them are quite close. And Leylah has known Cori and her game for quite a while, going back to Juniors.
So you'd think that Leylah could give Rebecca some tips about how to play Cori...

But Leylah is friends with Cori, as well... :?

by ashkor87 Coco has a nice draw, nobody in her vicinity who can be expected to beat her early...until the semis in fact! Anisimova has a tough draw, on the other hand..can she get past Sakkari? 50-50 I would think..

by JazzNU
JazzNU wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:29 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 pm Worst case scenario for Paula is: Ferro, Juvan, Kudermetova. With today's parity in the WTA (except Iga, we agree), that is as good as you can hope for.
This is where I disagree. There are much easier draws in the early rounds than someone who got to the 4th Round of RG 2 years ago and should've gotten to the QF (got finessed by Kenin and her dad) and a top 30 player that has a winning record against you. Should it go well for Paula? Yes. But I've learned with her, things aren't as predictable as they ought to be for someone with enough consistency to be ranked in the Top 5. That being said, since I'm saying this, she'll handle these two well, win a tough match I thought she'd lose, then she'll lose to someone I thought she'd beat fairly easily.
And I thought maybe Juvan would be her non-problematic early match, but she's finding her footing on clay, having a fantastic week in Strasbourg whether she wins or loses today. So as I said before, I don't think Paula's draw is soft, there were much better draws to be had and I don't have any confidence about her getting to the second week. She surprises me regularly, in good and bad ways, so we'll see, but my confidence is very low.

by ponchi101 It could be said that after a week of over-performance from Juvan, a drop is expected. A bit of regression to the mean.
Of course, last year's winner at Strasbourg did sort of well at RG ;) ,but let's see now how Angie and Juvan do.
But, going by form, this latest datum would side with your position. Juvan must have been playing well, to reach the final and push it to 3TB's.

by ti-amie

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:07 pm
^ One of the best names in tennis in a while.
Sounds like something that happened to a player just before taking a Medical Time-Out... :D

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 pm It could be said that after a week of over-performance from Juvan, a drop is expected. A bit of regression to the mean.
Of course, last year's winner at Strasbourg did sort of well at RG ;) ,but let's see now how Angie and Juvan do.
But, going by form, this latest datum would side with your position. Juvan must have been playing well, to reach the final and push it to 3TB's.
I was really talking about her entire week, including the wins over Pliskova and Mertens. In terms of regression to the mean, the main thing about Juvan was that this was who she was projected to be, and confidence and belief in these kinds of matches has been mentioned as potential problems for her. She got 2 big wins and game very close to a third. Enough to turn the tide for her? Whether she does good at RG or not, this could be the turning point she's been working towards. Her mean was never supposed to be top 100 player, not even top 50. She was on the most promising lists with Iga, Coco and Amanda just a few years ago.

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:01 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:07 pm
^ One of the best names in tennis in a while.
Sounds like something that happened to a player just before taking a Medical Time-Out... :D
:lol:

by meganfernandez They're expecting a battle? Against Mladenovic? Leylah out to roll over her. :) The French don't get hostile, even toward a French player's opponent. They only jeer bad sportsmanship. (Thanks for the video.)
Deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:52 am .
Leylah video interview...

'Trash Talk' from Dad has Leylah Ready for Battle Against Home Favourite Mladenovic...

by Deuce I guess they're thinking that Mladenovic will have extra motivation playing at home, and so may summon up some of the talent she once displayed...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:I guess they're thinking that Mladenovic will have extra motivation playing at home, and so may summon up some of the talent she once displayed...
I think they are delusional. :)

I remember the year Kiki beat Mugu in the fourth round - I think Mugu was defending champ, not sure. Seems like that was Kiki’s last good singles match. (Wait, didn’t she single-handedly win Fed Cup for France vs Australia a couple years later?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ashkor87 Massive upset..jabeur out in the first round.Italian jinx at work? She seemed to be bothered by the rain.seemed to speak to the umpire about it...

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:42 am
Deuce wrote:I guess they're thinking that Mladenovic will have extra motivation playing at home, and so may summon up some of the talent she once displayed...
I think they are delusional. :)

I remember the year Kiki beat Mugu in the fourth round - I think Mugu was defending champ, not sure. Seems like that was Kiki’s last good singles match. (Wait, didn’t she single-handedly win Fed Cup for France vs Australia a couple years later?)

Exactly. Kiki had that moment, together with Garcia (they were doubles' partners) when it looked like she was top ten material, maybe even a slam challenger. Those days are long gone. Right now, she is a perfect R1 match: will get the ball back, will make you run a bit and keep you on court for 90 minutes, after which you walk out with a 6-3, 6-4 win and a good, real situation practice.

by ashkor87 both Thiem and Kiki have gone south after their breakup!

by ponchi101 I would say that the breakup that did Thiem in is his wrist breaking up. He had broken up with Kiki a long time before he won his USO.
But this is far from Hingis "black widow" status... ;)

by Suliso Deuce was wondering somewhere here why Iga is winning so much. Here are two articles exploring the same question:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ame-person

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2623526/ ... he%20draw.

By all objective criteria Swiatek is a huge favorite. The question mark I still have is how well she can handle that at a GS level. If she plays her best for 7 matches there are no peers.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 As our initial poll went to my favorite player (OTHER), and all others have lost, I updated and posted a new list. Our limit for options are 10, so I excluded the unseeded players PLUS the lowest seed remaining (Mertens).
I will still pick "other". It works.

by ashkor87 by 'other' I mean Zheng.

I saw the highlghts of the match against Halep - it was Zheng's relentless aggression, I think, that frazzled Halep.. she has the same relentless ferocity Swiatek has - Halep didnt know what to do, it seemed so hopeless..I think Zheng is more of a threat than any of the others.. I personally like Ansimova but she isnt a threat to Swiatek, even if she gets to the finals..!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:by 'other' I mean Zheng.

I saw the highlghts of the match against Halep - it was Zheng's relentless aggression, I think, that frazzled Halep.. she has the same relentless ferocity Swiatek has - Halep didnt know what to do, it seemed so hopeless..I think Zheng is more of a threat than any of the others.. I personally like Ansimova but she isnt a threat to Swiatek, even if she gets to the finals..!
Don’t disagree. Maybe Keys if she can 100% relax

by Suliso I agree. It's Zheng or no one.

by Deuce Wow... talk about 'flavour of the month'...
I've seen basically zero mention of Zheng on this discussion board prior to the past couple of days (except for my mentioning a couple of times that I think she may become the kind of player that Sabalenka was 'supposed to be')... and now, all of a sudden - and it is definitely all of a sudden - people are appointing her as the only player who can adequately challenge Swiatek.

I mean - I like Zheng - I think she has some good potential. But to suddenly appoint her as Swiatek's most worthy challenger when no-one seemed to notice her before, and when she hasn't really done anything of note in the past - let alone at a Major - seems somewhat iffy.
Hmmm.....

by ashkor87 Btw all 4 of my semifinal picks are still alive..can anyone else claim that?!

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:Wow... talk about 'flavour of the month'...
I've seen basically zero mention of Zheng on this discussion board prior to the past couple of days (except for my mentioning a couple of times that I think she may become the kind of player that Sabalenka was 'supposed to be')... and now, all of a sudden - and it is definitely all of a sudden - people are appointing her as the only player who can adequately challenge Swiatek.

I mean - I like Zheng - I think she has some good potential. But to suddenly appoint her as Swiatek's most worthy challenger when no-one seemed to notice her before, and when she hasn't really done anything of note in the past - let alone at a Major - seems somewhat iffy.
Hmmm.....
I’ve heard great things about Zheng, just haven’t said anything here. :) I mean she’s a likely challenger to Swiatek in the top half, not overall, based on her boldness and power and current form. And she likely won’t be nervous.

by Suliso She could be like Swiatek two years ago. Or completely not a factor.

by ashkor87 Keynes - ' when the facts change, I change my mind..what do you do, sir?'

by JazzNU
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:16 am Btw all 4 of my semifinal picks are still alive..can anyone else claim that?!
I thought you were high on Alexandrova?

by ashkor87
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:02 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:16 am Btw all 4 of my semifinal picks are still alive..can anyone else claim that?!
I thought you were high on Alexandrova?
My final 4 were Swiatek Kasatkina Gauff Anisimova
3 of them are still around...who were your picks and how many are still standing?

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:22 am ...

My final 4 were Swiatek Kasatkina Gauff Anisimova
3 of them are still around...who were your picks and how many are still standing?
What contest is that? Are you cheating on us at another site? :flamed:

by ti-amie

by Suliso Only two unseeded players despite all the chaos and upsets.

by ponchi101 And one of them a former finalist. The symbol of the WTA should be a revolving door ;)