by ti-amie Court PHILIPPE-CHATRIER

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
TUN O.Jabeur (6) vs POL M.Linette
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
CAN F.Auger-Aliassime (9) vs PER JP.Varillas (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
FRA C.Burel vs GRE M.Sakkari (4)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
ARG JI.Londero (L) vs ESP C.Alcaraz (6)

Court SUZANNE-LENGLEN

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
USA S.Stephens vs GER J.Niemeier (Q)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA J.Isner (23) vs FRA Q.Halys
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
GER A.Zverev (3) vs AUT S.Ofner (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
FRA K.Mladenovic vs CAN L.Fernandez (17)

Court SIMONNE-MATHIEU

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
BOL H.Dellien vs AUT D.Thiem
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
EST K.Kanepi vs ESP G.Muguruza (10)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
ITA F.Fognini vs AUS A.Popyrin
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA C.Gauff (18) vs CAN R.Marino (Q)

Court 14

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
COL C.Osorio vs FRA H.Tan (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
JPN T.Daniel vs FRA G.Barrere (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
POR N.Borges (Q) vs --- K.Khachanov (21)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SUI B.Bencic (14) vs HUN RL.Jani (L)

Court 7

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
BUL G.Dimitrov (18) vs USA M.Giron
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
FRA C.Monnet (W) vs CZE K.Muchova
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA B.Pera vs SUI J.Teichmann (23)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
ESP A.Ramos-Vinolas vs AUS T.Kokkinakis

Court 6

Women’s Singles

FIRST ROUND
ROU S.Cirstea (26) vs GER T.Maria
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
--- A.Kuznetsov (Q) vs ARG D.Schwartzman (15)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
NED T.Griekspoor vs ESP A.Davidovich Fokina (25)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
ROU EG.Ruse vs BEL E.Mertens (31)

Court 8

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
SLO A.Bedene vs AUS C.O'Connell (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
URU P.Cuevas vs USA J.Brooksby (31)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
AUS A.Sharma vs --- V.Gracheva
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SWE M.Bjorklund (Q) vs CRO D.Vekic (Q)

Court 9

Men’s Singles

FIRST ROUND
GER D.Altmaier vs ESP J.Munar
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
--- A.Sasnovich vs CHN X.Wang
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SRB O.Danilovic (Q) vs HUN D.Galfi
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA M.Mmoh (W) vs ESP B.Zapata Miralles (Q)

Court 12

Women’s Singles

FIRST ROUND
BRA B.Haddad Maia vs ESP C.Bucsa (Q)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
NED B.Van De Zandschulp (26) vs --- P.Kotov (Q)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
ARG C.Ugo Carabelli (Q) vs --- A.Karatsev
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA L.Davis vs CZE M.Bouzkova

Court 13

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
CRO B.Coric vs ESP C.Taberner
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
CZE K.Siniakova vs CRO P.Martic
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
BEL A.Van Uytvanck vs USA A.Li
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
AUS J.Kubler (Q) vs KUDLA USA D.Kudla

by meganfernandez Jabeur is in trouble, down a break late in the third. Forehand breaking down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Deuce Indeed...
Linette was 1 point away from a 5-2 third set lead - but Jabeur held on to break.
Now on serve at 3-4... and... raining.
At the beginning of the broadcast, they said there was an 8% chance of rain.
That 8% just became 100%.
Not raining hard, though - they're back on court now after a delay of only a couple of minutes.

by Deuce Linette then had another 2 chances to go ahead 5-3 at 15-40 on Jabeur's serve... but Jabeur held.
4-4.
Against a top player like Jabeur, you have to capitalize on your chances.

Jabeur is clearly frustrated with her own play... but Linette is gifting her too many points now.
Both are playing nervous tennis.

Linette just held. 5-4...

Thiem out in straight sets. His comeback is really not going well.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:Linette then had another 2 chances to go ahead 5-3 at 15-40 on Jabeur's serve... but Jabeur held.
4-4.

Jabeur is clearly frustrated with her own play... but Linette is gifting her too many points now.

I’m enjoying the end of this Jabeur-Linette match. Super tight and a see-saw in intensity/pressure every few points. Lunette had chances with Jabeur serving at 4-5. At 15-all, Linette missed a second-serve return into the net. Later hit a super tight FH slice into the net. On form, Linette ought to have won by now but Jabeur is calling on her confidence every time her back is against the wall.

It’s raining quite hard.

Update: You don’t want to know what happened once Jabeur was up 40-love on her serve at 5-6. Unbelievable. Jabeur looked to be cruising into a TB - then she failed to put away an overhead and a following high volley, qnd Linette passed her. Next point or two, she missed a sitter overhead into the bottom of the net. That made it deuce and she lost the next two points. Ouch.

Credit to Linette. Very tough loss for Jabeur.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:35 am
Deuce wrote:Linette then had another 2 chances to go ahead 5-3 at 15-40 on Jabeur's serve... but Jabeur held.
4-4.

I’m enjoying the end of this Jabeur-Linette match. Super tight and a see-saw in intensity/pressure every few points. Lunette had chances with Jabeur serving at 4-5. At 15-all, Linette missed a second-serve return into the net. Later hit a super tight FH slice into the net. On form, Linette ought to have won by now but Jabeur is calling on her confidence every time her back is against the wall.

It’s raining quite hard.

Update: You don’t want to know what happened once Jabeur was up 40-love on her serve at 5-6. Unbelievable. Jabeur looked to be cruising into a TB - then she failed to put away an overhead and a following high volley, qnd Linette passed her. Next point or two, she missed a sitter overhead into the bottom of the net. That made it deuce and she lost the next two points. Ouch.

Yeah - Jabeur really butchered that last game. She was playing very fast, and was up 40-0 in about 40 seconds. I think she was already into the tiebreak in her head, and forgot that she has to close that game out first.

Two things stood out to me in that 3rd set:
Jabeur missed putting away several points at the net - sometimes it was hitting put-away volleys right back to Linette, sometimes it was weak or outright missed overheads...
And Linette hit some beautiful (and very effective) drop shots in that 3rd set that really frustrated Jabeur, as SHE is the one who's supposed to be hitting the perfect drop shots.

So... this tournament will now have less variety and creativity now with Jabeur gone. It's too bad, because she's easily one of the most enjoyable players to watch play.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:35 am
4-4.

It’s raining quite hard.

Yeah - Jabeur really butchered that last game. She was playing very fast, and was up 40-0 in about 40 seconds. I think she was already into the tiebreak in her head, and forgot that she has to close that game out first.

Two things stood out to me in that 3rd set:
Jabeur missed putting away several points at the net - sometimes it was hitting put-away volleys right back to Linette, sometimes it was weak or outright missed overheads...
And Linette hit some beautiful (and very effective) drop shots in that 3rd set that really frustrated Jabeur, as SHE is the one who's supposed to be hitting the perfect drop shots.

So... this tournament will now have less variety and creativity now with Jabeur gone. It's too bad, because she's easily one of the most enjoyable players to watch play.
Yeah, big loss for entertainment value. Really thought Jabeur was going to edge out Linette on confidence. Shows how fickle tennis can be. She seemed 10 seconds from a tiebreak with the momentum and the experience, and instead in three minutes she is shaking hands. Ons to the grass…

Mugu is up an early break and I’m falling for the trap that she might catch fire and win the tournament. She’s in the bottom half, so….

by meganfernandez

This is one of the five straight points Jabeur lost in the last game after leading 40-love. A couple points earlier, she failed to put away an overhead and lost the point. Good bet that was still in her head when she flubbed this one badly.

by ponchi101 Thanks for the narrative because I just woke up to find out that Ons had lost. A complete WTF moment, as she had obviously been the second best player in the tour after the Iga, during the clay season.
I am going to build a MACRO that inserts the words THE PARITY IN THE WTA IS HIGHER THAN AT ANY OTHER TIME IN HISTORY. As I have said plenty of times, I like that. Iga is the only one not affected by that but all other players right now are aiming to be just slightly better than her opponent that day. Nothing more.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:02 pm ...

Mugu is up an early break and I’m falling for the trap that she might catch fire and win the tournament. She’s in the bottom half, so….

Do that at your own risk. It might affect your sanity, though ;)
The scoreline looks promising...

by Deuce I'm watching Muchova - Monnet now... Some really nice points - both players have to work for their points.

Monnet is a kid I met at a Junior tournament 3 years ago. Very nice and polite. I told her I'd give her $5 if she played the Final with my standard size Head Vilas wood racquet that I had with me. She found that quite funny.
Her coach told me he teaches kids using a wood racquet - he has them use wood racquets. Then he gave me his coupon for free food at the restaurant tent.

Monnet had problems finding the money to play through Juniors - her parents couldn't afford it... She's climbing in the rankings now, though - she's up to about #250. She's 1 year older than Leylah.

She is a scrambler. She's got a lot of 'spunk'. She's one of those players who you can clearly see plays for the right reasons. This is her first main draw at a Major.
She won't win this match, but she's putting in a very good effort, and is definitely making Muchova work for it.

by jazzyg As for Jabeur, once a loser, always a loser, even though I love her game, too, and had her going to the final.

She has been a choke artist throughout her career and reverted to form today.

by shmrck14 Well Jabeur just blew up my draw, I had her in the final and used that for the various contests. I thought she was over the inability to close out matches. My bad, won't ever make that mistake again.

by ponchi101 FAA in real trouble. It is not the score only, is that Varillas (no idea who he is) is playing very solid tennis.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:50 pm As for Jabeur, once a loser, always a loser, even though I love her game, too, and had her going to the final.

Kinda harsh. :) If she had hit the overhead at 40-love just a little better, not right back to Linette, she probably wins the match. One match or one swing of the racket doesn't define her. I know it's frustrating when you are counting on a player for predictions, though.

by Deuce Muchova beat Monnet 3 and 3, but it was a very high quality match. Muchova needed a 10 minute service game and 4 match points before she closed it out.

This was actually only Monnet's second WTA main draw (and first in a Major). She's from France, and so took advantage of her main draw appearance in this home Major - she was signing autographs and posing for photos and talking with fans for at least 15 minutes after the match - long after Muchova had left the court.

She was still signing and posing and talking when Teichmann and Pera came to the court and were doing the coin toss for their match :D . It was quite funny - and wonderful to see...

And, yes - Felix is in very deep trouble, down 2 sets to love now (2 and 2).
He has got to be the most inconsistent male player on the tour. Every time it looks certain that he's 'turned the corner' and 'gotten over the hump', he throws in a complete dud or two...
Sigh...

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:02 pm ...

Do that at your own risk. It might affect your sanity, though ;)
The scoreline looks promising...
Too late, I'm already set up to be disappointed if Mugu doesn't pull this out. If she does, I hope it gives her some confidence. She is playing pretty well. She had definitely had the edge in the match and needs to hold off Kanepi in the third. It will come down to nerves.

by Tolulops Just heard commentators say on Radio RG that Felix has never won a main draw match at Roland Garros... Can that possibly be true? If so... Ouch.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:17 pm Muchova beat Monnet 3 and 3, but it was a very high quality match. Muchova needed a 10 minute service game and 4 match points before she closed it out.
Thank goodness because I took Muchova the SP and two of my other options had already won before I even woke up.

by jazzyg FAA is down 6-2, 6-2 to a player I've never heard of.

by meganfernandez
Tolulops wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:19 pm Just heard commentators say on Radio RG that Felix has never won a main draw match at Roland Garros... Can that possibly be true? If so... Ouch.
Correct, but this is only his third year in the main draw. Lost in qualies in 2018, didn't play in 2019, lost to Nishioka in 2020 and Seppi in 2021. He did win one qualifying match in 2018.

by jazzyg
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:16 pm
jazzyg wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:50 pm As for Jabeur, once a loser, always a loser, even though I love her game, too, and had her going to the final.

Kinda harsh. :) If she had hit the overhead at 40-love just a little better, not right back to Linette, she probably wins the match. One match or one swing of the racket doesn't define her. I know it's frustrating when you are counting on a player for predictions, though.
You have it reversed. She hit the overhead into the ground because she is a loser. She did not lose because she hit the overhead into the ground.

I have seen her blow more matches than any other top player. There is a reason she took forever to win her 1st tourney. I hope her recent brilliant stretch was a sign of consistency, but today gives me pause. Maybe this was just a result of overplaying,

Her opponent today also struggles mightily to close out matches from winning positions.
I

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:16 pm

You have it reversed. She hit the overhead into the ground because she is a loser. She did not lose because she hit the overhead into the ground.

I have seen her blow more matches than any other top player. There is a reason she took forever to win her 1st tourney. I hope her recent brilliant stretch was a sign of consistency, but today gives me pause. Maybe this was just a result of overplaying,

Her opponent today also struggles mightily to close out matches from winning positions.
I
I'm talking about the first overhead in that game, not the one she dumped into the net. She hit it right back to Linette, same with the next high volley, and Linette passed her. I think that affected her on the next overhead, which she flubbed badly.

For me, this isn't a bad loss, just disappointing. It was super close and she got edged out. Could have won but that's tennis. She has won lots of close matches, too. It's all about one's personal perspective and relativity. The way I look at it, no one who gets to her level is a loser or a choker.

by Deuce Muguruza just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:40 pm Muguruza just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...
Ouch ouch ouch. She looked like a contender for a hour-plus. I was already dreaming... I'd say no shame in losing to Kanepi, but there's a tad bit of shame with the lead and form Mugu had until Kanepi raised her game. Oh well. I'm not in the mood to be hard on players these days. It's a brutal sport and there are a lot of great players out there.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:42 pm
Deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:40 pm Muguruza just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...
Ouch ouch ouch. She looked like a contender for a hour-plus. I was already dreaming... I'd say no shame in losing to Kanepi, but there's a tad bit of shame with the lead and form Mugu had until Kanepi raised her game. Oh well. I'm not in the mood to be hard on players these days. It's a brutal sport and there are a lot of great players out there.
The problem for me is that there is a pattern. Mugu has been wining first sets handily, and then it is not that the wheels fall off; it is the wheels, the engine, the transmission, everything. She falls apart terribly.
And this was quick (meaning the way the match played out). I saw she was up, started doing a couple of things (and, of course, ESPN L. America will rather show a Div4 Peruvian soccer match than actually show women's tennis, so I can't watch the match), and then you guys posted that she had lost. In a blink.
I guess the sole thing she is good for is for YCWJ. She is becoming a solid wooden spoon contender. :cry:

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:42 pm
The problem for me is that there is a pattern. Mugu has been wining first sets handily, and then it is not that the wheels fall off; it is the wheels, the engine, the transmission, everything. She falls apart terribly.
And this was quick (meaning the way the match played out). I saw she was up, started doing a couple of things (and, of course, ESPN L. America will rather show a Div4 Peruvian soccer match than actually show women's tennis, so I can't watch the match), and then you guys posted that she had lost. In a blink.
I guess the sole thing she is good for is for YCWJ. She is becoming a solid wooden spoon contender. :cry:
Yeah that pattern is problematic. Something in the way she is competing. Maybe belief, maybe losing focus. It’s nice to see that the game is still very much there. Would love to know from her, honestly, what she thinks the problem is, but she doesn’t explain too much, at least not in English pressers.

by ponchi101 Felix coming back. Up an early break in the 4th.
And Varillas is no longer hitting winners all over. Still a long way to go, but if Felix pushes this to 5, he will get it. I don't see this kid being able NOT to think "I just blew away a two sets lead"

by Deuce Yes... When Felix went up 4-1 in the 3rd, I said "He's got this match now" - because of his opponent's inexperience at this level, as well as when Felix gets on a roll, he's very good.

It's just too bad that he so often needs to fall into a deep hole before he wakes up. And he has discovered that not all opponents will allow him to wake up easily.

On another subject... I know it's only the first day, but in all the matches I've watched today, these ball kids are among the fastest and most efficient I've ever seen.
Let's see if they tire and slow down in the second week... :D

by Suliso I'm as surprised as all of you with Jabeur losing. In retrospect indeed one could cite her inability to close out matches in the past and also that her game is flashy, but could be overwhelmed by a more powerful player when not firing on all cylinders. It's easy to say that afterwards, though.

Muguruza losing doesn't surprise me. She has been playing at low level recently.

by ponchi101 Not going to look it up, but I said she would be out. Kanepi is a tough opponent to draw in a first round, if you are a player in a slump.
But Jabeur? I mean, sometimes you have to go by form, and she won one and reached the final of the other, in the last two MS1000. I call this a big upset. 18 of us in PeterSkan were completely taken in.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:02 pmMugu is up an early break and I’m falling for the trap that she might catch fire and win the tournament. She’s in the bottom half, so….
....Suliso'd. :gorgeous:

by ponchi101 An actually excellent match for FAA. Had to put it all together, came back from 0-2, and because it is Sunday he gets two days to rest because he started on Sunday. If I were his team, I would order him to not leave the room tomorrow, and room-service everything.
Get back on court on Tuesday.

by martini4me I could be deceived, because the on-court microphones are quite forward in the sound mix, and we're quite clearly hearing the sound (and a slight echo) every time a player strikes the ball. But Marino and Gauff seem to be just crushing the ball back and forth to each other. A break each to start, now 2-all.

by JTContinental Gauff survives 5 double faults and 9 break points in one game to hold for 3-2

by Deuce
martini4me wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:02 pm I could be deceived, because the on-court microphones are quite forward in the sound mix, and we're quite clearly hearing the sound (and a slight echo) every time a player strikes the ball. But Marino and Gauff seem to be just crushing the ball back and forth to each other. A break each to start, now 2-all.
I've noticed the same thing.
The commentator just said that "the acoustics of this court are different from the other courts" - so that's likely part of it.

This is the best I've seen Marino hit in a while (maybe she's more comfortable with the new Head racquet than she was with the Yonex). Gauff needs to start moving her around more - throw in some drop shots, too... because I'm not sure she can outhit her from the baseline with Rebecca hitting this well.
I think this is the first time Marino is playing the main draw of Roland Garros in 11 years. Of course, she was away from tennis for most of those 11 years...

Gauff just broke, though... But then throws in another double fault - 7 of them now, I believe - in 4 service games. But she held.

by JTContinental Gauff has Diego Moyano (Kevin Anderson's former coach) sitting in her box. They've been working together since after Miami

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote:
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:42 pm Ouch ouch ouch. She looked like a contender for a hour-plus. I was already dreaming... I'd say no shame in losing to Kanepi, but there's a tad bit of shame with the lead and form Mugu had until Kanepi raised her game. Oh well. I'm not in the mood to be hard on players these days. It's a brutal sport and there are a lot of great players out there.
Yeah that pattern is problematic. Something in the way she is competing. Maybe belief, maybe losing focus. It’s nice to see that the game is still very much there. Would love to know from her, honestly, what she thinks the problem is, but she doesn’t explain too much, at least not in English pressers.

Positive outlook from Garbi. Good for her. Things that seem desulatory to fans aren’t necessarily to players. Champions mindset - take away the positives and keep going.

by ponchi101 I could take that if she were a 21 yo rookie. But she is a 28 yo veteran, with Slams on her belt. Good for her that she is not talking despair or serious doubts, but the team has to figure out what is going on.
Conchita has proven to be a reliable figure, so I gather they will figure out what is happening. Correcting it will be a separate matter.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:51 pm Not going to look it up, but I said she would be out. Kanepi is a tough opponent to draw in a first round, if you are a player in a slump.
But Jabeur? I mean, sometimes you have to go by form, and she won one and reached the final of the other, in the last two MS1000. I call this a big upset. 18 of us in PeterSkan were completely taken in.
I had Jabeur out in the second round, instead of the first. Her success of late has been impressive, but I thought she was playing a bit too much to peak at RG. I It was also the nature of some of those wins, like the ones against Sakkari and Kasatkina in Rome, that took a lot of effort. But with this unplanned forced break, I like her going on a deep run at Wimbledon.

by JTContinental Marino's attitude has visibly shifted since losing the first set, and she's started resorting to hitting terrible drop shots

by ti-amie I love reading commentary on matches here.

I expected Kanepi to win and thought that Ons might have played too much coming into this major. That wobbling racquet on that overhead that ended up in the net spoke volumes about mental and physical fatigue to me.

I was surprised that Felix came back to win. I only saw the end of the match. Varillas had gotten quite a bit of attention during his Qualifying play and I'm not surprised that he took the first two sets as Felix can be very, what's the word I want, soft at times, overthinking at other times.
That was really an important win for him.

I have Carlitos vs Londero on. It's been mostly listening so far. I should be able to watch more in a bit.

by ponchi101 Felix was not playing GREAT tennis in the first two set, but Varillas was. He simply zoned for 90 minutes. Then, Felix kept his level, knew what to do, and Varillas started misfiring, The same shots that were landing 10 cms inside the lines started to land 10 cms out.
I would not read much into the first two sets. The last three showed what he can do, against this level of opponent. Only thing would be to use the extra day of rest properly because, after all, it was 5 sets, but no need to panic.
About fatigue and Ons: she had last week off. I really don't know if that is not enough. And she played that last set to 7-5, so it was not as if the air came out the tires. Plus: Linette has some quality wins. This was just a bad day on court, for Ons.

by Deuce Quite a disappointing 2nd set from Marino after playing Gauff pretty much even through the 1st set and hitting really well. Psychologically, I guess she figured (either consciously or subconsciously) that winning 2 sets from Gauff after the hard and exhausting battle of the 1st set was too high a mountain to climb.

I hope she watches the video of the 1st set and takes confidence from that.

Meanwhile, Leylah just steamrolled over Mladenovic 6-0 in the 1st set. Mladenovic played completely uninspired tennis - in front of her home crowd. If this is all she's willing to give, she shouldn't have taken to the court.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:53 pm
Speaking of harsh....You know you forever confuse me with your Garbine "fandom"

by ti-amie

by Deuce But now the momentum has completely - and shockingly - shifted...
Mladenovic has just broken Leylah twice, and is up 3-0 in the 2nd.

Mladenovic came out inspired in the 2nd (either that, or the crowd threatened her after her wholly UNinspired 1st set). Leylah has lost focus - which occurs very rarely - and is missing a lot.
The crowd is getting more and more vocally supportive of Mladenovic. And the crowd will probably grow as word spreads around the tournament that this could possibly be a match.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:28 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:53 pm
I try to be objective. I am not one of those fans that when my fave is not performing, I can't see it. When they misbehave, when they do something petulant, I gather I can still look at them call it what it is.
I like Garbiñe because, as I once said, she is a dead ringer for my very first GF and she is a fun person. Her videos and posts are fun. I also like her tennis, but it is not my favorite style of them all. So I am a fan, but I am not enamored of her. And you have to admit, she has not been playing anything remotely close to good tennis lately.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pm
I try to be objective. I am not one of those fans that when my fave is not performing, I can't see it. When they misbehave, when they do something petulant, I gather I can still look at them call it what it is.
I like Garbiñe because, as I once said, she is a dead ringer for my very first GF and she is a fun person. Her videos and posts are fun. I also like her tennis, but it is not my favorite style of them all. So I am a fan, but I am not enamored of her. And you have to admit, she has not been playing anything remotely close to good tennis lately.
I think you are anything but objective where Garbine is concerned. You've picked her as one of your favorites to win RG a few weeks ago (and I believe did the same last year). But she hasn't been to a clay court final of any level since her RG win. That's the thought of a fan who is not evaluating objectively to me. But also, when she loses, whew! Some of the criticisms are unduly harsh to me, like saying she's good for YCWJ and nothing else.

Also, I'd argue that she's playing pretty good tennis in parts of her matches lately, but is having a lot of problems closing out sets and matches and so her results are dismal of late. I haven't watched all of them, but it has been a trend with the ones that I've watched, where she should've won the match, had the advantage and lost. In some cases, rolling over an opponent in the opening set, only to suddenly struggle late in the second. Not saying it's good, not saying it's not a worrying trend, I'm saying I wouldn't throw her to the woodshed for this rough patch. Also, for me at least, losing to Kaia Kanepi is one of her better losses, so it certainly wouldn't inspire me to criticize her harshly for this one.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:07 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:39 pm
I think you are anything but objective where Garbine is concerned. You've picked her as one of your favorites to win RG a few weeks ago (and I believe did the same last year). But she hasn't been to a clay court final of any level since her RG win. That's the thought of a fan who is not evaluating objectively to me. But also, when she loses, whew! Some of the criticisms are unduly harsh to me, like saying she's good for YCWJ and nothing else.

Also, I'd argue that she's playing pretty good tennis in parts of her matches lately, but is having a lot of problems closing out sets and matches and so her results are dismal of late. I haven't watched all of them, but it has been a trend with the ones that I've watched, where she should've won the match, had the advantage and lost. In some cases, rolling over an opponent in the opening set, only to suddenly struggle late in the second. Not saying it's good, not saying it's not a worrying trend, I'm saying I wouldn't throw her to the woodshed for this rough patch. Also, for me at least, losing to Kaia Kanepi is one of her better losses, so it certainly wouldn't inspire me to criticize her harshly for this one.
When did I pick her to win RG? :? I gave her a 2.5% chance of winning it, together with Ons (and two more that I am not going to look up) and did make the point that the sole reason I would give her that much was because she is a former champion.
Also, if because I say she is becoming wooden spoon material, and right now, she is in the run for that, plus I say so while putting a cry-emoji, meaning I am not happy about that state of her tennis, you conclude that I am not being objective... well. I hope she wins Wimby and we will all rejoice.

by JazzNU That was a good win for Leylah. Not sure if that had gone to 3, who would win it, which is shocking since I rarely think anything positive about Kiki in singles these days. But she played a much better 2nd set and with that late break, looked like she was maybe going to be able to force a 3rd set. And with a small, but loud and involved crowd firmly in her favor, it wouldn't have necessarily been easy for Leylah. But Leylah clearly got very pissed at herself for dropping her serve late in the 2nd, and fixed that in short order.

Think Leylah did win a decent fans in the post-match interview though. She should definitely keep speaking in French. The applause for her win was tepid at best. After her animated interview, it was boisterous applause.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:35 pm But now the momentum has completely - and shockingly - shifted...
Mladenovic has just broken Leylah twice, and is up 3-0 in the 2nd.

Mladenovic came out inspired in the 2nd (either that, or the crowd threatened her after her wholly UNinspired 1st set). Leylah has lost focus - which occurs very rarely - and is missing a lot.
The crowd is getting more and more vocally supportive of Mladenovic. And the crowd will probably grow as word spreads around the tournament that this could possibly be a match.
Leylah Fernandez, tough as ever. Fends off set points at 3-5 and reels off four games in a row. I want to see the Leylah-Andreescu R3 match.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:59 pm I could take that if she were a 21 yo rookie. But she is a 28 yo veteran, with Slams on her belt. Good for her that she is not talking despair or serious doubts, but the team has to figure out what is going on.
Conchita has proven to be a reliable figure, so I gather they will figure out what is happening. Correcting it will be a separate matter.
Yeah, they have to work on it. I'm glad to hear Muguruza acknowledge the issue. Sounds like she knows she needs some confidence. I have faith in Conchita... Hoping for a good result on grass.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:18 pm [
When did I pick her to win RG? :? I gave her a 2.5% chance of winning it, together with Ons (and two more that I am not going to look up) and did make the point that the sole reason I would give her that much was because she is a former champion.
Also, if because I say she is becoming wooden spoon material, and right now, she is in the run for that, plus I say so while putting a cry-emoji, meaning I am not happy about that state of her tennis, you conclude that I am not being objective... well. I hope she wins Wimby and we will all rejoice.
Thus making her one of your favorites to win. How many players did you list? Like maybe 4? I'm not saying you said she'd win over Swiatek, you didn't. But yeah, you picked her as one of your favorites, gave her individual odds to win and didn't include her with the field.

But also, I was giving a recent example of something. You are of course aware, I've mentioned this before.

And yes, you definitely said you were putting Muguruza there only because she was a former champion. But I don't recall Ostapenko being listed alongside her, which is my point.

by Deuce Leylah needs to keep her foot on the accelerator when she's got her opponent down. After a 6-0 1st set, the natural tendency is to expect a 6-0 2nd set... but it rarely pans out that way. After an easy set like that, she needs to get herself to believe that the next set will be extremely hard fought. Not easy to do, but it would be most beneficial.

Leylah did a good job of re-gaining her focus and composure... but I think Mladenovic faded in the second half of the 2nd set, as well. The crowd was inspiring her for the first part of the set, but then she seemed to get nervous, perhaps thinking too much about the crowd's expectations of her.

Leylah's French is a little more fluent than her English, so there's no problem with her speaking French in Paris (or Spanish in Mexico, or English in the U.S.)...

by ponchi101 Because I would give Ostapenko negative percentage points of winning. Ashkor was talking about who we thought had a chance and I simply said, well, let's look at some people that MAYBE can challenge Iga. I am sorry I did not include a regression analysis and some Bayesian formulas but, giving somebody 2.5% chance of winning an event is about the same as saying "I can see a black swan in the horizon".
Jazznu, if it upsets you that I think that Garbiñe is playing terrible tennis, ok. But she is 7/9 for the year, and has lost 5 matches after winning the first set.
For a two time slam champion still in the prime of her physical abilities, that is not good. Not one bit.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:50 pm Because I would give Ostapenko negative percentage points of winning. Ashkor was talking about who we thought had a chance and I simply said, well, let's look at some people that MAYBE can challenge Iga. I am sorry I did not include a regression analysis and some Bayesian formulas but, giving somebody 2.5% chance of winning an event is about the same as saying "I can see a black swan in the horizon".
Jazznu, if it upsets you that I think that Garbiñe is playing terrible tennis, ok. But she is 7/9 for the year, and has lost 5 matches after winning the first set.
For a two time slam champion still in the prime of her physical abilities, that is not good. Not one bit.
It doesn't upset me. I've said it before to both you and Megan. You're openly her biggest fans on here, but the harshest criticisms also come from you guys. It's odd to see it from people who are big fans of hers is all. And you say that about Ostapenko, but she's also unquestionably had a better year than Muguruza.

And maybe you look at odds differently than I do. In betting here, when you give any odds, you're placing them as a bigger favorite than the field. So it's not just a throwaway. So, for instance, if you give any percentage whatsoever to the Warriors, Celtics, Lakers, Hawks and then broadly to the field, then you have favored the Hawks and Lakers as more of a title favorite than the Bucks, the Nuggets, and the Sixers. So your giving her specific odds of any kind even if it seems small, did stand out as being highly favorable to her chances.

by meganfernandez
JazzNU wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:50 pm Because I would give Ostapenko negative percentage points of winning. Ashkor was talking about who we thought had a chance and I simply said, well, let's look at some people that MAYBE can challenge Iga. I am sorry I did not include a regression analysis and some Bayesian formulas but, giving somebody 2.5% chance of winning an event is about the same as saying "I can see a black swan in the horizon".
It doesn't upset me. I've said it before to both you and Megan. You're openly her biggest fans on here, but the harshest criticisms also come from you guys. It's odd to see it from people who are big fans of hers is all. And you say that about Ostapenko, but she's also unquestionably had a better year than Muguruza.

And maybe you look at odds differently than I do. In betting here, when you give any odds, you're placing them as a bigger favorite than the field. So it's not just a throwaway. So, for instance, if you give any percentage whatsoever to the Warriors, Celtics, Lakers, Hawks and then broadly to the field, then you have favored the Hawks and Lakers as more of a title favorite than the Bucks, the Nuggets, and the Sixers. So your giving her specific odds of any kind even if it seems small, did stand out as being highly favorable to her chances.
I am guilty of being hard on Mugu, more so in the past. I’ve adjusted my expectations, and have a pretty different perspective on general success/effort/etc. these days. But yeah, her shortcomings and streakiness got under my skin more so than any other player in the last few years.

She could be a fixture in the top 5, and I wish she would. But that’s how it goes. Certainly doesn’t negate any of her excellent accomplishments. I still think she might have more good results. The game is still there. We’ll see.

The latest string of losing control of matches against lesser players is problematic. But hey, it’s tennis. Opponents can turn matches around. Other than today’s match, I didn’t see the others she had lost after having a commanding lead and the edge. Really it’s hard to judge performances by the score alone.