Not before 20:45
DEN H.Rune vs FRA H.Gaston

Court SUZANNE-LENGLEN

THIRD ROUND

Women’s Singles
ROU I.Begu vs FRA L.Jeanjean
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
SRB M.Kecmanovic (28) vs --- D.Medvedev (2)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
ESP P. Badosa (3) vs --- V. Kudermetova (29)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
SWE M.Ymer vs GRE S.Tsitsipas (4)

Court SIMONNE-MATHIEU

THIRD ROUND

Men’s Singles
USA M.Mcdonald vs ITA J. Sinner (11)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
ITA C.Giorgi (28) vs --- A. Sabalenka (7)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
BEL D.Goffin vs POL H. Hurkacz (12)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
USA M. Keys (22) vs KAZ E. Rybakina (16)

Court 14

THIRD ROUND

Men’s Singles
--- A.Rublev (7) vs CHI C.Garin
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
Not before 12:30
USA J. Pegula (11) vs SLO T. Zidansek (24)
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
NOR U.Eikeri/USA C.Harrison vs JPN M.Doi/AUS A.Tomljanovic
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
Not before 16:00
NOR C.Ruud (8) vs ITA L.Sonego (32)

Court 7

Men’s Doubles
THIRD ROUND
IND R.Bopanna (16)/NED M. Middelkoop (16) vs CRO N.Mektic (2)/CRO M.Pavic (2)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
USA S.Rogers vs --- D. Kasatkina (20)
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
KAZ A.Bublik/AUS T.Kokkinakis vs CRO I.Dodig/USA A.Krajicek
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SLO A.Klepac (5)/IND R.Bopanna (5) vs FRA A.Cornet/FRA E.Roger-Vasselin

Court 6

Women’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
USA K.Christian/--- L.Marozava vs POL A.Rosolska/NZL E.Routliffe
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
TPE HC.Chan JPN/B.Mclachlan vs USA N.Melichar-Martinez/GER K.Krawietz
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
POL A.Rosolska/POL L.Kubot vs CAN G.Dabrowski (3)/AUS J.Peers (3)
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
Not before 15:00
HUN D.Galfi/--- A.Kalinskaya vs HUN A.Bondar/BEL G.Minnen

Court 9

Men’s Doubles
THIRD ROUND
MON H.Nys/POL J.Zielinski vs GBR L.Glasspool/FIN H.Heliovaara
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
UKR L.Kichenok/BRA R.Matos vs AUS S.Stosur/AUS M.Ebden
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
CZE L.Hradecka (10)/IND S.Mirza (10) vs SLO K.Juvan/SLO T.Zidansek

Court 13

Women’s Doubles
SECOND ROUND
USA A.Muhammad (9)/JPN E.Shibahara (9) vs SVK K.Kucova/--- A.Potapova
Men’s Doubles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
USA R.Ram (1)/GBR J.Salisbury (1) vs USA M.Cressy/ESP F.Lopez
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
NED D.Schuurs/NED M.Middelkoop vs JPN E.Shibahara (2)/NED W.Koolhof (2)

Court TBA 1

Women’s Doubles

UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
CAN L.Fernandez/BEL K.Flipkens vs --- V.Kudermetova (2)/BEL E.Mertens (2)

by Suliso Such a lucky draw for Begu...

by meganfernandez Boy, Kovinic let Iga off the hook serving at 5-5 in the second. Four errors, I think.

Iga is showing that she isn’t immune to pressure and some shaky play. Honestly I think she is beatable in this tournament. Definitely on a faster court. She can be rattled. And the serve isn’t that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101 When she loses it will be because her level dropped and her opponent will play a superb match. Stating the obvious, but that combination will be needed.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:When she loses it will be because her level dropped and her opponent will play a superb match. Stating the obvious, but that combination will be needed.
Yes of course. And a good strategy - I think there are some attackable parts of her game, where an opponent could put pressure on her. I think the streak will creep into her head at points, too. Kovinic had a decent chance today once she broke back and had the momentum.

I could see Badosa doing it if she gets in a first strike.

by patrick This match may help Swiatek in the long run as a player always have one difficult match

by meganfernandez
patrick wrote:This match may help Swiatek in the long run as a player always have one difficult match
Maybe. She got through a patch of nerves but didn’t play her way out of trouble. I could see Zheng taking it to her.

by jazzyg Going back to when she trailed Halep a set and a break, Zheng has won 19 of her last 20 games.

That's quite the run.

by ponchi101 Kasatkina is playing solid tennis. That was a quick dismantling of Rogers.
I say she has a very good chance of beating the winner of Sabalenka/Giorgi, as those two can go bonkers with their shots on court.

by jazzyg Rough day for the French players so far.

Cornet did not win a game before retiring. Simon has lost the first eight games against Cilic, whom he has a 6-1 advantage against in their head to head (the one loss was a five-setter at the U.S. Open when Cilic won every other set he played in the tournament).

JeanJean almost lost 6-1, 6-1 before a brief comeback attempt against Begu.

by ponchi101 It is showing why Simon has to retire. That game simply will not work anymore at tour level.

by ponchi101 What happened to Badosa? they just showed she retired, but the last point did not say much. She didn't even call for a trainer.

by JazzNU Kudermetova was playing great against Badosa, was looking like she was going to win today, up a set and then a break. And then Paula retired from the match so suddenly that it didn't even air on what I was watching and the commentator didn't even know it occurred, said he was writing something down quickly and she was gone. Said he'd never seen a decision and exit made quicker. Coming out of a commercial break that was no longer than a minute, the next thing we saw was Veronika putting on a jacket.

Veronika had the H2H advantage over Paula, so this isn't a shocking win in the least, but that was a strange exit for sure.

ETA: No interviews done post-match because the exit was so quick, they didn't have any warning they should set things up.

by ashkor87 I saw Badosa had called the trainer to do something with her leg..thigh region...so yes, an injury

by ashkor87 Missed the Giorgi match though..anyone see what happened?

by ponchi101 Monica Puig is pointing out that, with Badosa's exit (after Sabalenka's), there is only one top 10 player left in the draw. By the end of the 3rd round.
Puig also says that Badosa has retired from a match 25 TIMES IN HER CAREER. :shock:
That is insane, and there is no way it can be due to injuries of relevance. If that were the case, she would have been on IR way too much.

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:29 pm I saw Badosa had called the trainer to do something with her leg..calf region...so yes, an injury

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm Going back to when she trailed Halep a set and a break, Zheng has won 19 of her last 20 games.

That's quite the run.
ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:29 pm I saw Badosa had called the trainer to do something with her leg..calf region...so yes, an injury
Zheng is really something..I, atleast, have been overlooking her..maybe she is the one to challenge Swiatek!

by JazzNU
ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:29 pm I saw Badosa had called the trainer to do something with her leg..thigh region...so yes, an injury
I believe they are saying it's a knee injury. Her MTO was in the first set when she was down 2-5 and didn't look like it was that serious. And she was not treated before she retired from the match. Her knee wasn't taped, and nothing else was either. She wasn't limping, she wasn't hobbled, she wasn't moving slow between points or favoring anything and she was still chasing balls down like she typically would. She wasn't playing in a limited way at all. This retirement came out of nowhere.

by dryrunguy
ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 pm Missed the Giorgi match though..anyone see what happened?
Camila simply couldn't miss in the second and third sets. Sabalenka was nothing more than a spectator after the first set. It was brutal.

by Suliso Somehow it happens again and again with Sabalenka at GS level...

by dmforever
dryrunguy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:59 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:30 pm Missed the Giorgi match though..anyone see what happened?
Camila simply couldn't miss in the second and third sets. Sabalenka was nothing more than a spectator after the first set. It was brutal.
So it was Giorgi playing great and not Sabalenka misfiring? 1 and 0 after the first set was hard for me to believe when I woke up this morning. :)

Kevin

by dryrunguy
dmforever wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:09 pm
So it was Giorgi playing great and not Sabalenka misfiring? 1 and 0 after the first set was hard for me to believe when I woke up this morning. :)

Kevin
I was doing other things around the house at the time. But my sense of the match was that, if Sabalenka got her racquet on the ball, the error was forced by Camila's pace of shot. Perhaps someone else watched more closely.

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Kevin
Definitely Giorgi playing great. She was a freight train. In the zone that we typically only see from her every once in a while on a hard or grass court. Surprising, but yeah, she was on fire today.

by Deuce Giorgi was playing extremely well in the 2nd and 3rd sets.
Sabalenka was playing extremely poorly in the 2nd and 3rd sets.
That combination created a huge chasm between the quality of play of the two players.

It seems that Sabalenka self-destructs as soon as her opponent starts playing well. She can't handle it mentally. This shows that her self-confidence is very fragile. And when that happens, she plays like a 3.5 level club player.

More evidence of the increasing fragility of today's players...
Two in-match retirements for the women today (Cornet and Badosa), and Goffin was limping his way through most of the final two sets vs. Hurcacz.

by patrick
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:32 pm Monica Puig is pointing out that, with Badosa's exit (after Sabalenka's), there is only one top 10 player left in the draw. By the end of the 3rd round.
Puig also says that Badosa has retired from a match 25 TIMES IN HER CAREER. :shock:
That is insane, and there is no way it can be due to injuries of relevance. If that were the case, she would have been on IR way too much.
Please provide Badosa 25 times she has retired

R32 French Open Kudermetova

by mick1303
patrick wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:58 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:32 pm Monica Puig is pointing out that, with Badosa's exit (after Sabalenka's), there is only one top 10 player left in the draw. By the end of the 3rd round.

This is wrong. Badosa retired 7 times prior to this Roland Garros. Maybe Puig counted juniors, qualification, challengers, etc.

by Deuce
mick1303 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:31 pm

This is wrong. Badosa retired 7 times prior to this Roland Garros. Maybe Puig counted juniors, qualification, challengers, etc.
Even if Juniors, Challengers, Qualies, etc. are counted, 25 in-match retirements is still excessive for a 24 year old who is supposed to be in very good physical condition.

And, yes, ALL matches should be counted in such a statistic, because a match is a match, whether it's played at the WTA, ITF, or Junior level... main draw and qualies. I don't see any differences when it comes to how often a player has retired in-match.

by ponchi101

I will trust you more than Monica, although she has been fairly reliable. I thought it was too much, but since she is broadcasting for ESPN, I thought somebody must have fed her the info.
7 times is still considerable.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:

patrick wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:58 pm Please provide Badosa 25 times she has retired

I will trust you more than Monica, although she has been fairly reliable. I thought it was too much, but since she is broadcasting for ESPN, I thought somebody must have fed her the info.
An average of 1 retirement per year isn’t excessive IMO. She turned pro 7 years ago.

by JTContinental NBC has moved the end of the match to their streaming service so I'm not watching, but Keys has raced out to a 6-0 lead in the final set super tiebreak

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:NBC has moved the end of the match to their streaming service so I'm not watching, but Keys has raced out to a 6-0 lead in the final set super tiebreak
She won, 10-3 I think

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:38 pm
ponchi101 wrote:

An average of 1 retirement per year isn’t excessive IMO. She turned pro 7 years ago.
That would mean she had 18 in-match retirements up until the age of 17, which is excessive in my book, considering that one typically doesn't play serious tournaments where in-match retirements would count before the age of at least 10.

A breakdown would be nice to have. If she turned pro 7 years ago, I assume that means she began playing ITF events at that time. So if she's retired 7 times from matches in that time, then the other 18 retirements were at the Junior level.
Excessive, indeed.

I guess the good news may be that she's gotten out of the habit of retiring so easily, today notwithstanding...

by Suliso How much can we actually trust that number 25? Some people play loose with numbers and 15 suddenly grows to 25...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:How much can we actually trust that number 25? Some people play loose with numbers and 15 suddenly grows to 25...
Agree, 25 is dubious. Also hope people don’t judge me by what I did at 16.

Anyway, Sabalenka had other plans today. Isn’t her boyfriend a football player?

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:41 pm
Monica is going to be proven right here and I'm sure you're correct that there was an ESPN producer that fed her the info. It is most definitely not 7 retirements in her pro career and 25 is highly likely to be the accurate number.

I just pulled up a random year and I see 6 retirements from her in 2017. Her junior RG title was in 2015, so she was definitely a pro in 2017 and that's a ton of retirements in a single year. I looked at 2019 after seeing that. 5 retirements. That's Yastremska-eqsue. And though I didn't look at every single one closely, there's definitely a lot of play the next week or the week after in there, so even more suspect. These "injuries" weren't leading to extended time away from the tour, she played a full season's worth of tournaments in both 2017 and 2019.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 pm
Suliso wrote:How much can we actually trust that number 25? Some people play loose with numbers and 15 suddenly grows to 25...
Agree, 25 is dubious. Also hope people don’t judge me by what I did at 16.

Anyway, Sabalenka had other plans today. Isn’t her boyfriend a football player?
I'm not sure why there's so much skepticism about the 25. You're not alone of course, but I wonder why it's so hard to believe. Is it because people like her? I like her too, but we've called this out about other players, no reason not to do so if this is a trend in Paula's career. We haven't been watching Badosa closely for 7 years, we've been watching her closely for a year and a half for the most part. WTA very clearly lists a retirement as part of the scoreline when one occurs, there doesn't need to be skepticism about the numbers.

And she wasn't 16. If someone was saying this only happened when she was 16, that's very much inaccurate.

Sabalenka's boyfriend was a hockey player, he's a good deal older than her, so his playing days are well behind him.

by ponchi101 I went back and counted the retirements listed in WTA page for Paula:
2016. 6 ret (5 ITF)
2017. 6 ret (6 ITF)
2018. 3 ret (2 ITF)
2019. 3 ret (3 ITF)
2020. 1 ret (1 ITF)
2021. 3 ret (1 Olympics)
2022. 2 ret (including RG)

I count 24, so maybe one more in a previous year. A lot, as you can see, are at ITF level, which might be where Puig got her data from.
So it depends how you count her career. if you include ITF level tournaments, which are pro, Monica is right. If not, we get the figures here in the topic.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:17 pm I went back and counted the retirements listed in WTA page for Paula:
2016. 6 ret (5 ITF)
2017. 6 ret (6 ITF)
2018. 3 ret (2 ITF)
2019. 3 ret (3 ITF)
2020. 1 ret (1 ITF)
2021. 3 ret (1 Olympics)
2022. 2 ret (including RG)

I count 24, so maybe one more in a previous year. A lot, as you can see, are at ITF level, which might be where Puig got her data from.
So it depends how you count her career. if you include ITF level tournaments, which are pro, Monica is right. If not, we get the figures here in the topic.
Why would ITF be excluded? I don't understand that logic. Excluding Juniors I get, but not ITF once you've fully gone to the pro tour.

For 2019, I'm wondering if you expanded to see all her results - like I said before, I counted 5 retirements, but you only have 3 listed. And assuming the rest is correct, if you removed RG from your count, and add in 2 missing from 2019, that's 25.

2019 Retirements -

1) ITF Australia
2) Samsung Open in Lugano, Switzerland
3) ITF Spain
4) ITF Japan
5) ITF Luxembourg

by ponchi101 I didn't say they should be excluded. I said if SOMEBODY would do so, the count drops to 7. I agree, they should count. Those are pro level matches. It is the same as the Olympics withdrawal, which I remember was because she was passing out due to the heat.
So Monica is most likely right. Your count for 2019 is different than mine, so you found a couple of extra matches.

by ponchi101 BTW.
Some people have voiced opinions (I have, at least) that after the Big Three, there might be a void not only the quality of tennis, but also on personalities that are likeable.
Holger Rune wants to differ.
At the end of his on-court interview with Corretja, Corretja told him "I am going to let you go, it is cold and you must be getting cold".
Rune deadpanned: "I'm from Denmark".

Maybe I am, as so frequently happens, wrong. The new, new kids may be alright.

by mick1303
ponchi101 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:37 am I didn't say they should be excluded. I said if SOMEBODY would do so, the count drops to 7. I agree, they should count. Those are pro level matches. It is the same as the Olympics withdrawal, which I remember was because she was passing out due to the heat.
So Monica is most likely right. Your count for 2019 is different than mine, so you found a couple of extra matches.
I did look up my data on challengers (since WTA did not have such clear distinction between pro challengers and ITF, these are mixed data, where the tournaments are counted in my database if prize money is 25K or above). I found 16 retirements for her on this circuit, so 7 + 16 is equal to 23. It is possible that couple of retirements happened in ITF-15 events or quallies, and there you have it. All of her 16 retirements are ITF-25, except one ITF-50 in Barcelona.

by ponchi101 I gather that the point is that she has retired A LOT. According to the link Ti placed (separate topic), she has played 136 matches. Just give her the 23 retirements you mention here, and that is roughly 1-out of-6 matches she has retired from.
That is fairly unheard of.

by JazzNU
mick1303 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:03 am
I did look up my data on challengers (since WTA did not have such clear distinction between pro challengers and ITF, these are mixed data, where the tournaments are counted in my database if prize money is 25K or above). I found 16 retirements for her on this circuit, so 7 + 16 is equal to 23. It is possible that couple of retirements happened in ITF-15 events or quallies, and there you have it. All of her 16 retirements are ITF-25, except one ITF-50 in Barcelona.
I don't know where you're pulling the data from, but if you want accuracy, I'm positive there's one that is a $60k event in Australia because I originally wrote it out that way when I posted her 2019 retirements yesterday.

by mick1303
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:35 pm
mick1303 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:03 am
I don't know where you're pulling the data from, but if you want accuracy, I'm positive there's one that is a $60k event in Australia because I originally wrote it out that way when I posted her 2019 retirements yesterday.
For WTA I don't have now any source to populate a database other than SteveGTennis. WTA and ITF sites allow to look up a separate match or two, but the data there is in such form that I can't parse it en masse. in 2019 I counted 5 events in Australia, which were 60k. Badosa played in two of them - Burnie and Launceston. No retirements. The other 3 were in autumn (Darwin, Bendigo, Playford). I don't see her in the draws of those.

by JazzNU
mick1303 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm
For WTA I don't have now any source to populate a database other than SteveGTennis. WTA and ITF sites allow to look up a separate match or two, but the data there is in such form that I can't parse it en masse. in 2019 I counted 5 events in Australia, which were 60k. Badosa played in two of them - Burnie and Launceston. No retirements. The other 3 were in autumn (Darwin, Bendigo, Playford). I don't see her in the draws of those.
It's the Launceston one that she retired from according to the WTA site. Not sure what the disconnect is where one source would say it and the other wouldn't. She lost in the finals of the first tournament you mentioned, retired from the second.

by mick1303
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:26 pm
It's the Launceston one that she retired from according to the WTA site. Not sure what the disconnect is where one source would say it and the other wouldn't. She lost in the finals of the first tournament you mentioned, retired from the second.

Yes, it was a mistake on my part (the consequences of the import query glitch). Scores are getting mixes between matches.
I found a Klondike of tennis data on TennisAbstract site. Imported their databases already (ATP portion) and will be verifying my data against theirs (the overlap is above 90%). I will be adding lower level Davis Cup matches, which I'm missing and generally validating scores, players' data etc.
Undoubtedly it will improve the reliability of data.

If anybody knows how to contact their "chief" Jeff Sackman - let me know. He might be interested in validation results as well. Even preliminary glance reveals, that their data is not above errors/mistakes as well as mine. For instance they split Jose Edison Mandarino to two different players: Jose and Edison Mandarino ))

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote:
JazzNU wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:26 pm

Yes, it was a mistake on my part (the consequences of the import query glitch). Scores are getting mixes between matches.
I found a Klondike of tennis data on TennisAbstract site. Imported their databases already (ATP portion) and will be verifying my data against theirs (the overlap is above 90%). I will be adding lower level Davis Cup matches, which I'm missing and generally validating scores, players' data etc.
Undoubtedly it will improve the reliability of data.

If anybody knows how to contact their "chief" Jeff Sackman - let me know. He might be interested in validation results as well. Even preliminary glance reveals, that their data is not above errors/mistakes as well as mine. For instance they split Jose Edison Mandarino to two different players: Jose and Edison Mandarino ))
Jeff is reachable on Twitter.