by JTContinental I didin't see a Day 8 discussion thread, but if it's there, and I missed it, feel free to delete/merge this one

by JTContinental I'm glad other matches are starting because this Sasnovich/Trevisan one is making my eyes bleed.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:I'm glad other matches are starting because this Sasnovich/Trevisan one is making my eyes bleed.
I haven’t seen any of it. Is it a mess or just boring?
JTContinental wrote:I didin't see a Day 8 discussion thread, but if it's there, and I missed it, feel free to delete/merge this one
There is one. :) only post so far is the OoP.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:22 am
JTContinental wrote:I'm glad other matches are starting because this Sasnovich/Trevisan one is making my eyes bleed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all screaming, UFEs, and really bad serving.

by Suliso So much for Anisimova crushing Fernandez ;)

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:22 am
It's all screaming, UFEs, and really bad serving.
Glad I slept an extra hour, then.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:So much for Anisimova crushing Fernandez ;)
She’s tight. The opportunities are there left and right.

by JTContinental Yes, she's the one who should be up 5-2, but Anisimova is very nervy at the moment

by meganfernandez Anisimova played her first good point down 1-5.

There have been 5 breaks and 2 holds (both Leylah). Because Amanda can’t hold serve - hasn’t won a point on second serve yet. She has to know that she will have chances on every Leylah service game.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Yes, she's the one who should be up 5-2, but Anisimova is very nervy at the moment
Tighter than a Juan Monaco shirt.

Starting to change…. Let’s see if she can keep it up.

by Suliso First set Fernandez. Leyla's game not that special, but psychologically she's stronger than 95% of players on tour.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:First set Fernandez. Leyla's game not that special, but psychologically she's stronger than 95% of players on tour.
Exactly. Game is solid (at least), heart and head are special. She has come up with some special shots on the run. And she has great shot selection.

by Suliso Trevisan is also a fighter and with less game than Fernandez. Really maximising what she does have, I feel.

by JTContinental
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:12 am Trevisan is also a fighter and with less game than Fernandez. Really maximising what she does have, I feel.
But only at this tournament

Of note, she is often still mid-follow through bellow when the ball is on the opponent's side of the net. If I were a ref, I'd call hindrance every time. Either Sasnovich or the chair ump must have said something, because it stopped abruptly late in the first set.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Trevisan is also a fighter and with less game than Fernandez. Really maximising what she does have, I feel.
A Cibulkova?

by JTContinental Sasnovich did just wipe out most of the women's pool, so that was enjoyable for me.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Sasnovich did just wipe out most of the women's pool, so that was enjoyable for me.
:) that one was too close for me to pick. I would have taken Sasnovich.

by Suliso
JTContinental wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:15 am
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:12 am Trevisan is also a fighter and with less game than Fernandez. Really maximising what she does have, I feel.
But only at this tournament
That's true, but for those with clay games this is the most important tournament. Or at least most likely one to have any impact at.

by meganfernandez I think if Anisimova wins this set, she gets to the final.

by JTContinental A little tight again at the very end, but that set looked more like what I expected, with Anisimova hitting through Fernandez.

by Suliso Certainly possible, but I wouldn't rule out Stephens or Gauff just yet.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Certainly possible, but I wouldn't rule out Stephens or Gauff just yet.
I ruled out Gauff today by picking Mertens. :) I think her experience and steadiness will come through but haven’t even seen Gauff play this tournament, so what do I know.

I think Anisimova will have a lot of confidence if she gets through this match, which I THINK I think she will. She will continue to have a pile of chances and she is fighting. It’s definitely on her racket. Nearly every match is on her racket. :)

by meganfernandez Anisimova’s third foot fault of the match. Comes up with a good second serve afterward.

Gotta say I like what I see from Anisimova, fighting herself every step of the way and winning that battle. I think this could be a career-defining match for her.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:43 am First set Fernandez. Leyla's game not that special, but psychologically she's stronger than 95% of players on tour.
I think she has the best service return in the game...statistically, maybe not, but she seems to hit amazing returns..preys on the server's mind, I am sure .

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote:Anisimova’s third foot fault of the match. Comes up with a good second serve afterward.

Gotta say I like what I see from Anisimova, fighting herself every step of the way and winning that battle. I think this could be a career-defining match for her.
Never mind! Just tossed her racket and she is only down one break. She does play well mad, though.

by Suliso If she's winning the battle how come is she's behind in the 3rd?

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:43 am First set Fernandez. Leyla's game not that special, but psychologically she's stronger than 95% of players on tour.
I think she has the best service return in the game...statistically, maybe not, but she seems to hit amazing returns..preys on the server's mind, I am sure .
Leylah? Maybe… She probably gets more back (and better) that she should than other people do. Anisimova’s return is pretty darn good but only when she is set.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:If she's winning the battle how come is she's behind in the 3rd?
I guess I should say she is winning the war (by getting herself back in the match… and this was before she lost serve in the third). Losing a lot of battles along the way. Might still have a couple more battles to go here. She has chances on every Fernández serving game.

AA might ultimately be too nervy to close it. We’ll see.

by Suliso Who's a favorite now? Fernandez or Stephens or even Gauff?

by Suliso Anisimova is a good player, but not a great fighter. Maybe she can still improve..

by ponchi101 Side thought (I did not see the Anisimova/Fernandez match, just reading your comments).
This is one side effect of what happens when you retire in the third set for not apparent reason at a big tournament. You have a bigger game, more power, are physically stronger, but the other player simply thinks that you cannot beat her because you pulled that retirement-stunt in a previous match. The other player says "I don't even have to be winning, I only have to keep it close, and she will hand it over to me".
Maybe time to start adding Fernandez to that list of players: Ferrer, Diego, Mardy Fish, Errani (without the obnoxiousness). You may be better than them. But you have to prove it.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Who's a favorite now? Fernandez or Stephens or even Gauff?
To me it’s Sloane’s to lose if she plays well, and I think she will. But Fernández is a close second.

Also:

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Anisimova is a good player, but not a great fighter. Maybe she can still improve..
I think she can but this match isn’t going to help.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:30 pm
Suliso wrote:Anisimova is a good player, but not a great fighter. Maybe she can still improve..
I think she can but this match isn’t going to help.

That is the hardest thing to improve. The great ones are born with it.
In a totally unfair situation, Lendl used to be labeled as a choker. Why? Because he lost his first four Slam finals. Nobody noticed that he lost to Borg and Wilander @ RG, and twice to Connors @ the USO. And then be started winning those finals and the label was removed. In reality, he was always a very strong player. He just lost a few tough matches in the beginning of his career, to equally tough players.
So now, Anisimova seems unable to get past one player in particular. It will take a lot of work and at least one major victory over Fernandez at a high stakes match for her to get over that hump.

by Suliso Is her problem really just Fernandez? I don't think so.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:49 pm Is her problem really just Fernandez? I don't think so.
Agree. Plenty of players can and have beat her too. I used Fernandez as an example.

by Suliso Unsurprisingly Gauff is having an easy time with Mertens. Just too big a difference in ability.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Unsurprisingly Gauff is having an easy time with Mertens. Just too big a difference in ability.
Whoa, I didn’t see it coming. Didn’t know Gauff was in this form. First time this year she has won 4 matches in a row. Now I want to see her play Fernández.

Out of the SP but happy Gauff is playing this well.

She is telling Bartoli that she is honored to be interviewed by her, and remembers one time when Bartoli took time to sign an autograph for everyone (including Coco) after a hard match or practice.

by Suliso Stephens could be a factor too. We'll be able to judge better after her match tonight. So far her draw has been very easy.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Stephens could be a factor too. We'll be able to judge better after her match tonight. So far her draw has been very easy.
Yes after she lost the first set in R1, she has cruised for the most part. Did drop a set to Cirstea. Gauff hasnt lost a set yet.

by ponchi101 Changing subjects. Does anyone know or knows of some data to tell how frequently are the pros using the drop shot? By that I mean, what percentage of points are played in which a drop shot is deployed?
Not for a winner, necessarily. Just used during the point.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Changing subjects. Does anyone know or knows of some data to tell how frequently are the pros using the drop shot? By that I mean, what percentage of points are played in which a drop shot is deployed?
Best bet is Tennis Abstract. I’ll tweet him and ask.

by ponchi101 Rafa's BH is nowhere to be found today.

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:15 am
Suliso wrote:Trevisan is also a fighter and with less game than Fernandez. Really maximising what she does have, I feel.
A Cibulkova?
No. I like Trevisan, but she doesn't pack anywhere near the same punch as Dominika.

by JazzNU I love Rafa, I want him today and to win the tournament. But I've started to feel really bad for players not named Rafa, Novak, Andy, Roger, and to a lesser extent now Carlos. I can't think of a sport where the league openly wishes for basically every other player (like Felix today, another player that I love) to lose a match so that you can get to Rafa v. Novak or Novak vs. Andy in Madrid.

In other sports, there are commentators that will surely wish for a certain matchup, i.e. Golden State Warriors playing the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. But will you ever see the official NBA account, site, or NBA exec publicly promoting that before each series is complete? Never. And yet the ATP, Grand Slams and Masters tournaments in particular do this constantly. It must be rough on other players to see your league basically hope and wish you give them a good and entertaining match, like Felix today, but also, want you to lose it in the end.

by ponchi101 Agree, but it is not relegated to tennis. It was not secret that, for example, David Stern always wanted the Spurs NOT to make the NBA finals. The TV ratings were always lower.
This is where the influence of money becomes so tangible. Roland Garros already was voided from having a Rafa/Novak final. Not even a Rafa/Novak vs Alcaraz final. So I guess they want to maximize those profits that are there on Tuesday.
But totally unfair for the (today) Felixes of the world? Yes. It must not be a pleasant feeling.

by Suliso Now it's clear that Stephens is ready for big things again. If so I rate her chances 2nd only to Swiatek.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:44 pm Now it's clear that Stephens is ready for big things again. If so I rate her chances 2nd only to Swiatek.
I hope so. Still, she has had good results in the last years and then was not able to follow through.
But if she wins this thing, I will be delighted (and I like Iga too).

by Suliso I'm not saying she'll follow through this time either. But in this particular tournament maybe. I can't imagine her beating Iga in the final, but if Swiatek slips up earlier...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:I'm not saying she'll follow through this time either. But in this particular tournament maybe. I can't imagine her beating Iga in the final, but if Swiatek slips up earlier...
At least Sloane wouldn’t be intimidated. I think it could be close.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Changing subjects. Does anyone know or knows of some data to tell how frequently are the pros using the drop shot? By that I mean, what percentage of points are played in which a drop shot is deployed?
Tennis Abstract says 5% all surfaces, 7% on clay.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:20 pm At least Sloane wouldn’t be intimidated. I think it could be close.
No, but I think she would be overwhelmed. Stephens is a defensive player.

by JTContinental
Suliso wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:29 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:20 pm At least Sloane wouldn’t be intimidated. I think it could be close.
No, but I think she would be overwhelmed. Stephens is a defensive player.
She is, but her specialty is absorbing power and making it her own, so Swiatek might be a good match up.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:49 am
meganfernandez wrote:Anisimova’s third foot fault of the match. Comes up with a good second serve afterward.

Never mind! Just tossed her racket and she is only down one break. She does play well mad, though.
I don't see Anisimova as ever getting mad or angry. She gets despondent. She gets fatalistic. She gets pouty. She gets depressed...
And that is her weakness. Rather than kicking herself in the ass when she's not playing well, she tends to pity herself. I'm not sure this kind of deeply ingrained character trait can ever be modified sufficiently to become a reaction which produces a positive result.

Leylah did what she had to do today. She wins 99% of the psychological battles out there. That's exactly why she instantly became my favourite player to watch the very first time I saw her play live, when she was 15 years old. My comment during that match (when she was 15) was "This kid's got guts".
And, as tennis is (at least) 95% psychological, that explains why Leylah has done better than anyone has predicted throughout her Junior, ITF, and WTA careers - because most people only look at the physical element, which, I suppose, is easier to measure.

I guess Trevisan's comeback story is nice... but I can't like a player who yells extremely loudly (and late, as JT mentioned) on every ball strike. It's both ridiculous and extremely annoying. And wholly unnecessary.

by jazzyg Oh man, that talk about the tour sites openly pulling for a player is pure fan blather.

Unless the scheduling is patently unfair to the other players--which it has not been in this tournament--it means nothing.

by meganfernandez Clay-lah!

by ti-amie She got a lot of flack from some on Tennis Twitter for tagging Anisimova in her Tweet/IG post.

by ponchi101 C'mon. She is calling Amanda a great player. Only thing that somebody could complain about would be lack of originality (they all call each other great players, which they all are).
TW should have a question when you register: "Are you easily offended?"
If you click no, your registration should be voided.

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:08 pm She got a lot of flack from some on Tennis Twitter for tagging Anisimova in her Tweet/IG post.
Didn't realize she got flack for it, but this is one of the reasons I'm just a so so fan of Leylah's.

by Deuce Yeah - how dare Leylah be so classless as to 'tag' Anisimova in an obvious compliment.
I can certainly understand people not liking Leylah for doing such despicable things.
:roll:

People having a problem with Leylah because of things like this is absolutely ridiculous. These are just fools that are nit picking because they've decided they don't like her for some reason, so they'll pick any benign action and twist it into something negative or 'offensive'.

This is another reason to avoid 'social media', as people so often check their common sense at the door before entering the 'social media' domain.