The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by Suliso »

That's a great interview. I wish he was asked why he prefers to work on WTA tour. Or maybe no interest among guys?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good question. He was not considered a great competitor, ala M. Fish or D. Ferrer, so maybe there is a bit of that.
But I will yield to further explanations.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Say what? This isn't confusing at all.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:41 pm Say what? This isn't confusing at all.

Emma Raducanu in ‘very good position’ in search for new full-time coach
Eleanor Crooks, PA Tennis Correspondent, Linz
Sun, 7 November 2021, 11:33 am

Emma Raducanu is in a “very good position” in her search for a full-time coach but it will not be Esteban Carril, who is set to join Andy Murray’s team.

Raducanu had a trial with the highly-regarded Spaniard last month and he had appeared the front-runner for the position.

Carril helped develop Johanna Konta into a top-10 player and has most recently been working with another British player, Katie Swan, who revealed on Sunday after winning a lower-tier title in Estonia that it would be their final tournament together.

Swan is managed by Murray’s 77 agency and Carril will now head to the Stockholm Open for a trial week, with a view to joining the Scot’s team moving forward.

Raducanu, meanwhile, is preparing for her final tournament of the season, the Upper Austria Ladies Linz, where she is the top seed.

She arrived in Austria on Saturday accompanied only by her mother Renee and agent Chris Helliar, but it appears she, too, has made significant progress in appointing a successor to Andrew Richardson.

The 18-year-old said: “I’m here on my own, I’m being my own coach again this week, which I think is really good for me long term. I’m really feeling positive about my coaching situation, it’s in a good place. I’ll have a coach in place at the Australian Open.

“I had some trials and they went well. I’m really excited to get some good work done in pre-season and we’re going to have a really good time for sure. I think my game’s going to be moving in the right direction so I’m pretty excited for that.”

Raducanu declined to reveal more information on the identity of her preferred candidate, saying cryptically when pushed: “I’m in a very good position. It’s just a bit confidential. It’s my decision. It’s not fully done.”

Raducanu cited LTA physio Will Herbert as a key presence in her team in New York, and he was also with her in Cluj-Napoca last week, but the teenager said she had not yet thought about potentially having a full-time physio or fitness trainer.

“I don’t have a full-time team at all,” she said. “I think a coach for me is the priority. It’s so new to me to be in this position where I potentially could. I think it’s a great privilege but I haven’t put anything in place at all.”

Raducanu won her first two WTA Tour matches in Romania before a heavy loss to Marta Kostyuk in the quarter-finals.

The Kent player cited fatigue as a factor in the result, which she revealed turned into illness, preventing her visiting her Romanian grandmother in Bucharest after the tournament, as she had planned.

Raducanu returned to training on Thursday, and she said: “I had five negative PCR results so it’s not Covid. I’ve been feeling the ball well here and I’m in as good a place as I can be and just looking forward really, really positive for this week.”

This tournament is another example of Raducanu’s new-found status as one of the biggest names in tennis.

Organisers are hugely excited to have the British number one here, with some fans waiting outside the players’ hotel on Friday hoping for a glimpse of Raducanu despite her not arriving until Saturday.

It is all a far cry from the start of the year when, with the UK in lockdown, Raducanu was just another A Level student having to cope with home learning.

“January, February, March, I didn’t pick up a tennis racket really,” she said. “March 18 was my first session on court in 2021.

“For January, February, March, I was literally just sat at my desk staring at a wall for nine hours a day so I feel like, where I am now, I just need to really take it all in and enjoy it because, looking back at how far I’ve come, it’s pretty surreal and I just really need to enjoy it because at the beginning of the year I never would have thought it was possible.”

Raducanu will play her first match at the TipsArena on Tuesday against either Kateryna Kozlova of the Ukraine or Wang Xinyu of China.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/emma-r ... j0Qa5YVvAP
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

‟I can still win against the world’s best”

Your coach Torben Beltz will leave the team ahead of the 2022 season. After such a good second half to the season, what are your targets going into the next phase of your career and what new impulses are you hoping for?

‟I can look back positively on the past season. I invested lots of strength and energy to get to where I am now. For me, the next step when starting the season in Australia will be all about continuing where I left off. After Torben’s departure from the team, it also means that I would like to take on more responsibility. I’m very grateful for our time together and for everything we experienced and achieved as a team. It’s a new phase of my career that I’m about to enter now, whereas I’m fortunate to say that the rest of my team remains unchanged. In all the years, I’ve learnt how important it can be to have new impulses after a certain amount of time for one to continue competing at a top level.”

https://www.porsche-tennis.com/prod/pag ... 21_0729_en
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

From the way the above was worded it seems that Kerber and Torben were always going to split before 2022 but what do I know?

Emma Raducanu loses in Austria & set to announce Torben Beltz as new coach
Last updated on 37 minutes ago 37 minutes ago

US Open champion Emma Raducanu's breakthrough season has ended with defeat in her opening match at the Upper Austria Ladies event.

Raducanu, set to announce Torben Beltz as her new coach, lost 6-1 6-7 (0-7) 7-5 to China's Wang Xinyu in Linz.

Wang, 20, played at a higher level than her 106th world ranking as 18-year-old Raducanu, the top seed in the event, suffered a second straight defeat.

However, the Briton was hampered by an injury near the end of a tight decider.

Raducanu, who climbed into the world's top 20 this week, struggled to cope with Wang's power and precision in a one-sided first set before settling down to turn the match into a contest.

But the momentum of the match swung away from the British number one again when she picked up a leg injury as the third set remained on serve and still finely balanced.

Struggling to push off on serve, Raducanu was broken for 5-4 and then needed lengthy treatment on court before returning to try and stay in the match.

Raducanu continued to limp between points, but showed remarkable fight to see off two match points and break back for 5-5.

After requiring some more treatment at the changeover, Raducanu could not hold off a third match point as Wang closed out the biggest victory of her career.

Work with Beltz set to start later this month
Beltz, a 44-year-old German who used to coach former world number one Angelique Kerber, is not in Austria with Raducanu this week.

But he is expected to start working with the teenager Raducanu when the new British number one begins pre-season training at the end of the month.

Beltz has a strong pedigree having coached Kerber when she won the Australian Open and the US Open titles in 2016.

They reunited for this season but Kerber announced on Monday they would not be working together in 2022.

The Telegraph first covered the story after unearthing an image of Beltz with the 18-year-old and her agent Chris Helliar in a coffee house in Orpington.

The photograph was posted on a Raducanu Instagram fan site on 20 October - the week in which the British player is known to have been conducting some trials at nearby Bromley Tennis Centre.

Esteban Carril was one of the coaches involved but he is with Andy Murray in Stockholm this week with a view to joining the former world number one's team on a permanent basis next season.

It is understood terms have now been agreed with Beltz but Raducanu was cautious when questioned about her new coach on Sunday.

"I'm really feeling positive about my coaching situation," she said.

"I had some trials and they went well - I'm going to have someone in place and I'm really excited to get some good work done in pre-season."

Raducanu has been without a coach since parting company with Andrew Richardson shortly after becoming the first qualifier to win the US Open in September.

She has been searching for someone with more experience of the WTA Tour, and Beltz certainly fits the bill having worked for many years with Kerber as well as Croatia's Donna Vekic.

Former world number one Kerber told the Porsche Newsroom on Monday that her fourth spell with Beltz had come to an end.

"I would like to take on more responsibility," the three-time Grand Slam singles champion said.

"I'm very grateful for our time together and for everything we experienced and achieved as a team."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/59220748

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

So basically she broke up with her boyfriend?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:14 am So basically she broke up with her boyfriend?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:14 am So basically she broke up with her boyfriend?
Or she went back to him depending on your perspective.

Post by JazzNU »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:12 am
Wasn't expecting this. Thank you for that.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:12 am
And you beat me to it because I thought "I can't post that. I RUN THIS PLACE! :shock:
Thanks. This dependency issues are so confusing to me...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It makes sense, as well, though.
She did better on court with her dad around than she did without him...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:27 am It makes sense, as well, though.
She did better on court with her dad around than she did without him...
Yeah, and she's an adult. I doubt she is being forced into any decision. Probably no harm in trying. She can make another change if and when it behooves her.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »