With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ashkor87 »

I was wondering why she lost to Siniakova..all this stress! Very brave, I agree..hope she does a Rybakina and seeks citizenship elsewhere..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ah, she did not stop at an announcement of being gay. She denounced Russia's policies affecting the LGBT+ community, and called for the end to the Ukrainian invasion. She also said she does not know if she can return to Russia after her statements, which, of course, is a totally correct fear.
Downright courages
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:26 pm Ah, she did not stop at an announcement of being gay. She denounced Russia's policies affecting the LGBT+ community, and called for the end to the Ukrainian invasion. She also said she does not know if she can return to Russia after her statements, which, of course, is a totally correct fear.
Downright courages
As another member here stated her GF did participate as an athlete for Canada and became a citizen there so maybe she will decide to just live there.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kasatkina lives and trains in Spain. I wonder how easy would be for her to get a Spanish passport.
For example, I have been trying to get a Colombian passport now for over 2 1/2 years. No go. (Residency for the wealthy is perfectly easy).
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:26 pm Ah, she did not stop at an announcement of being gay. She denounced Russia's policies affecting the LGBT+ community, and called for the end to the Ukrainian invasion. She also said she does not know if she can return to Russia after her statements, which, of course, is a totally correct fear.
Downright courages
I just watched that moment where she and the interviewer discuss the possibility of not being able to return, they both cry.

To be clear, the concern about not being able to return is around statements related to the war, not around her coming out.

It may be worse for men (Rublev, for example, who was part of this interview and has spoken out against the war before). You may have seen in the news, there are a couple NHL players that have been conscripted into the army and are unable to leave Russia. Previously, representing the country internationally in athletic competition counted as an alternative to/reason to be excused from military service.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

mmmm8 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:38 pm
Downright courages
I just watched that moment where she and the interviewer discuss the possibility of not being able to return, they both cry.

To be clear, the concern about not being able to return is around statements related to the war, not around her coming out.

It may be worse for men (Rublev, for example, who was part of this interview and has spoken out against the war before). You may have seen in the news, there are a couple NHL players that have been conscripted into the army and are unable to leave Russia. Previously, representing the country internationally in athletic competition counted as an alternative to/reason to be excused from military service.
I would also have to think it can't be very easy for these athletes to just go off to another country and know that their families are still there. I know they travel all over the world playing tennis, but that is traveling and not leaving for good.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Downright courages

Didn't know that.
I can remotely "relate" to her anguish, as I am flying back home on Saturday (I need to get a new passport and Venezuela closed the embassy in Bogota, so I can't get one here) and I am already freaking out. Yesterday I started to have nightmares about back home. So, for Daria, if she cannot secure a new passport, these statements can be serious problems.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:48 pm
Downright courages

Didn't know that.
I can remotely "relate" to her anguish, as I am flying back home on Saturday (I need to get a new passport and Venezuela closed the embassy in Bogota, so I can't get one here) and I am already freaking out. Yesterday I started to have nightmares about back home. So, for Daria, if she cannot secure a new passport, these statements can be serious problems.
So what does that mean for you? If you are unable to obtain a new passport for Columbia then you are forced to go back to Venezuela?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have to go back to Venezuela because there are no consular services here in Bogota (it's ColOmbia, girl, ColOmbia!!! ;) :D ). And, because they can tell I am outside the country, I cannot start the process from here because the system tells me that I am outside, so I have to get there and ask for an EXTENSION, because the Vennie government is not issuing passports. So, I get to pay around $125 for, literally, a sticker they paste on my passport and extends its validity for 5 years. And, that will take about two weeks, if I am lucky.
Venezuela is a special place in the sense that public services do not work and are, at best, randomly functional. Three months ago: no problems with passports, but I could not get a new one because mine still had 6 months before expiration. One month ago, the entire system collapsed. So I am leaving on Saturday, and I really don't know when I will be able to return home.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:09 pm I have to go back to Venezuela because there are no consular services here in Bogota (it's ColOmbia, girl, ColOmbia!!! ;) :D ). And, because they can tell I am outside the country, I cannot start the process from here because the system tells me that I am outside, so I have to get there and ask for an EXTENSION, because the Vennie government is not issuing passports. So, I get to pay around $125 for, literally, a sticker they paste on my passport and extends its validity for 5 years. And, that will take about two weeks, if I am lucky.
Venezuela is a special place in the sense that public services do not work and are, at best, randomly functional. Three months ago: no problems with passports, but I could not get a new one because mine still had 6 months before expiration. One month ago, the entire system collapsed. So I am leaving on Saturday, and I really don't know when I will be able to return home.
That really sucks. I am so sorry. It seems like the whole system is a mess or at least the system in Venezuela is a mess. I don't know if I will ever get use to Colombia just because there is a Columbia , Maryland here. :lol:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I had forgotten that Kasatkina lives in Spain. That explains it to some extent, but still a brave stance of course.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:07 pm I had forgotten that Kasatkina lives in Spain. That explains it to some extent, but still a brave stance of course.
For sure. Especially if her family still lives in Russia.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:15 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:07 pm I had forgotten that Kasatkina lives in Spain. That explains it to some extent, but still a brave stance of course.
For sure. Especially if her family still lives in Russia.
Even with all the travelling these players do and being away from their families, this still would be really hard to have to leave the country for good that their family lives.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Background

via @Jannik Schneider

Exclusive: after a long research @MarkusHarm and myself publish a TV piece for the @sportstudio reportage today about matchfixing

According to ZDF info top 50 players Basilashvilli and Karatsev + their former coach Yahor Yatsyk are allegedly involved in matchfixing

Thread 1/
Belarusian coach Yahor Yatsyk, who coached and traveled with both Basilashvilli and Karatsev, has offered players money to matchfix matches on at least two occasions in the past. This emerges from secret investigation docs from ITF

ZDF has data of five allegedly machtfixed matches with unusually high betting swings in which Karatsev is said to be involved. 2 fall in the period of cooperation with Yatysk (2018 until 2021) - a doubles in Finland 2019 and a doubles in Kazakhstan 2020.

Yatsyk/Karatsev were investigated by French police during French Open 2020 - l'equipe reported this on May 2nd 2022. We can confirm that. Nothing happened since

According to ZDF info Karatsev was allegedly also involved in a matchfix at the ATP tournament in Stuttgart 2022.

ITIA didnt comment on Karatsev/ Yatsyk when asked. Nor on the question why both arent suspended despite investigations in France. Only Karatsev's former girlfriend, Sofia Dmitrieva, has been banned for life for matchfixing. Karatsev gave us an interview but pushed back his quotes
According to Russian media, proceedings vs Basilashvilli are pending at ITIA. When asked by ZDF, his management said nothing had been heard from ITIA. According to ZDF, his first-rd doubles in Wimbledon 2021 with Moldovan Radu Albot was under investigation for matchfixing.

Basilashvillis doubles in Wimbledon 21 is about conspicuously high bets on the loss and amounts up to half a million US dollars. Several betting providers and people familiar with the matter confirmed this to ZDF.

We spoke to an easteuropean coach who is scared to talk publicly
"Yatsyk has been involved in fixing for years, works with people who have to do with fixing in Russia/Eastern Europe. He always has a lot of money with him, is on tour and is searching for young players who have problems. Financial/mental. Players he can convince with money"

The coach said: "Yatysk worked closely with Karatsev/Basilashvilli, watched them for years. Both incredibly talented players. But they had financial problems at beginning and major phases of weakness and slipped in the rankings. Each in a critical moment he approached them.”
The 8-minutes-tv-piece will be live @ZDF in TV and soon online under the link and in the Mediathek (in german)
The 8-minute-piece is now available in this article. Its in german

Tennis Wettbetrug: Zwei Topspieler und Trainer verwickelt
Laut ZDF sollen zwei aktuelle Top-50-Spieler im Tennis und ihr ehemaliger Trainer in Sportbetrug, sogenanntem Matchfixing, verwickelt sein.
https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/sport/te ... t-100.html

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1546 ... 31649.html
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein