Anastasia Potapova
Qinwen Zheng China
Anhelina Kalinina Ukraine
Bernarda Pera USA
Elise Mertens Belgium
Petra Martic Croatia
Paula Badosa Spain
Marta Kostyuk Ukraine

by ashkor87 Men's field looks a bit stronger than the women's...doesn't look like the big players are taking this one very seriously .. only Medvedev is a class player here...

by ashkor87 Looking forward to the return of Jen Brady...is Kyrgios really playing?!

by ponchi101 Wow, your standards are a bit high. Fritz and Tiafoe are there. It is a very good field for a 500.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:34 pm Wow, your standards are a bit high. Fritz and Tiafoe are there. It is a very good field for a 500.
This looks pretty typical for a Washington field, and considering that the following two weeks are Masters events, and Wimbledon just ended 2 weeks ago I'd say the field is pretty good.

by nelslus ....AND, btw, this tournament isn't exactly Jen Brady's "return". She just played a rinky-dink tournament- and lost in her second match. https://www.google.com/search?q=jen+bra ... nt=gws-wiz

Jen is listed for playing the US Open.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:34 pm Wow, your standards are a bit high. Fritz and Tiafoe are there. It is a very good field for a 500.
AND Chris Eubanks. (etc., etc.)

by ashkor87
I have personally watched Boris Becker play this tournament ..since then it should be getting better! Maybe I am just being a bit sentimental about what was my 'home' torurnament for a while.. but a 500 is a pretty big deal.. Tiafoe and Fritz arent big enough.. I would want at least Rune, Ruud, Sinner..

by ashkor87 on the women's side, this is the kind of trournament Pegula should win if she is as good as folks here (except me, of course) think.. there are no Tier 1 players.. Bencic is the only one I would rate higher than Pegula and even she is not Tier 1.
If the court is slow, which is what I expect, look for Keys and Samsonova to do well, possibly even win the whole thing.

by ponchi101 Can we agree that you truly don't like her? I can't recall any Pegula fans here; we simply say that she is a solid player, and that she has reached a very high ranking. Will she win here? I doubt it; it is a very even field. Can she make the semis? Very possible.
From my side: the few times I have seen her play, Jessica is a fine player, but nothing about that game impresses me. SO, having reached #3 in the rankings, I say she has overachieved. And she may win a few more tournaments in her career. This might be one.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:33 pm Can we agree that you truly don't like her? I can't recall any Pegula fans here; we simply say that she is a solid player, and that she has reached a very high ranking. Will she win here? I doubt it; it is a very even field. Can she make the semis? Very possible.
From my side: the few times I have seen her play, Jessica is a fine player, but nothing about that game impresses me. SO, having reached #3 in the rankings, I say she has overachieved. And she may win a few more tournaments in her career. This might be one.
....WELL, to be fair- there's also the unwarranted and random love for the likes of Alexandrova, Samsonova, and now, apparently, Madison Keys. Then, there's future Wimbledon Champions Leylah Fernandez and Alycia Parks. :gorgeous:

However, may I suggest- why stress over all of this? Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the "predictions" from our Very Own TAT Kreskin. My Troll Heart forever fills with joy. :gorgeous: :gorgeous:

In the same vein. Forget Lauren Davis, it's Pigossi for the US Open Win!! :yahoo:

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:33 pm Can we agree that you truly don't like her? I can't recall any Pegula fans here; we simply say that she is a solid player, and that she has reached a very high ranking. Will she win here? I doubt it; it is a very even field. Can she make the semis? Very possible.
I'm a Pegula fan. I think she has a nice all-court game, a lot of power, nice touch at net, a lot of composure, but hasn't been able to close some big matches. Hopefully she will close a few more before she hangs it up. I think she will keep putting herself in position for a while.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:17 pm
And Hurcakz and Murray. Looks like a strong field to me.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:11 pm
nelslus wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:17 pm
And Hurcakz and Murray. Looks like a strong field to me.
....They were adequately covered through my (etc., etc.) :gorgeous:

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:09 pm
I'm a Pegula fan. I think she has a nice all-court game, a lot of power, nice touch at net, a lot of composure, but hasn't been able to close some big matches. Hopefully she will close a few more before she hangs it up. I think she will keep putting herself in position for a while.
....There's actually....tee-hee....a TAT Pegula Fan?!?! My TAT Troll Heart now bursts from Ecstasy. :gorgeous: Bake them toll house cookies and put out those fold out chairs, 'cause The President Megan's Jessica Pegula Fan Club is about to commence. :bananas:

PS: I recently was able to watch the third set of the Pegula Wimbledon QF loss (even I didn't have the heart to watch the whole match), via ESPN-Plus. It actually was sad watching how Jessica blew her third set 4-1, game point for 5-1 lead. She just got so tentative- multiple times starting to move towards the net, then backing up- blowing these points, of course, with being in no-man's land. (OF course, Vondroušová did play some excellent tennis at that time. But, still....) Certainly, at least, Jessica will soon get to a Slam singles SF.....

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:32 pm
PS: I recently was able to watch the third set of the Pegula Wimbledon QF loss (even I didn't have the heart to watch the whole match), via ESPN-Plus. It actually was sad watching how Jessica blew her third set 4-1, game point for 5-1 lead. She just got so tentative- multiple times starting to move towards the net, then backing up- blowing these points, of course, with being in no-man's land. (OF course, Vondroušová did play some excellent tennis at that time. But, still....) Certainly, at least, Jessica will soon get to a Slam singles SF.....
Confidence... she will have to force herself to play fearlessly in the big moments.

Am I really the only TAT Pegula fan who will come forward? I'm sure there are a few more. She has a great personality, too. I think she will be in Vogue or some other big publication in August. Caitlin Thompson spend some significant time with her to report a long story. She didn't name the publication, but I'm thinking Vogue or the NYT Magazine. Not Racquet.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Confidence... she will have to force herself to play fearlessly in the big moments.
For sure. "Big 3" talk and all that- the window for winning a singles Slam title sure seems to be wide open for so many WTA players. Act on this opportunity now.

by nelslus

Am I really the only TAT Pegula fan who will come forward? I'm sure there are a few more. She has a great personality, too. I think she will be in Vogue or some other big publication in August. Caitlin Thompson spend some significant time with her to report a long story. She didn't name the publication, but I'm thinking Vogue or the NYT Magazine. Not Racquet.
....I think it's less TAT-risky to come out as a Novak fan. :gorgeous:

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm ...

I have nothing against her, and nothing but respect; she reminds me a bit of David Ferrer, a consummate professional to me, but her game simply does not click any buttons for me.
Now you know how it felt to be a Pete Fan in the 1990's ;)

by ti-amie I actually like Pegula. She doesn't have superstar skills but outside of Iga not many WTA players do. I think someone here said at big tournaments you have to get past her and if she is playing what is her "A" game that can be a difficult ask.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:42 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:56 pm ...

I have nothing against her, and nothing but respect; she reminds me a bit of David Ferrer, a consummate professional to me, but her game simply does not click any buttons for me.
Now you know how it felt to be a Pete Fan in the 1990's ;)
:lol: Pete was demonstrably great - you don't think he got any respect? My friend always says, "Pete is my GOAT." I like a shotmaker, and I think Pegula comes up with some big stuff. That's partly why I like her. And she has exceeded my expectations. And I like her personality.

by jazzyg Pegula was a point away from a 5-1 lead in the Wimbledon quarterfinals against the eventual champion.

by skatingfan
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:38 pm :lol: Pete was demonstrably great - you don't think he got any respect? My friend always says, "Pete is my GOAT." I like a shotmaker, and I think Pegula comes up with some big stuff. That's partly why I like her. And she has exceeded my expectations. And I like her personality.
I think most fans respected Pete, but cheered for any but most of the times he played because he was so bland to watch.

by ashkor87
100% agree.

by ashkor87 On hard courts in general I would rank the women as follows:
1. Rybakina
2. Swiatek
3. Sabalenka
4. Jabeur
5 Bencic
6. Vondrousova
7. Kvitova
8. Krejcikova
9. Alexandrova
10 Pegula
11 Samsonova
12. Kasatkina
As of now anyway...
Pegula is in the top 10 but not top 5

by nelslus
skatingfan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 am
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:38 pm :lol: Pete was demonstrably great - you don't think he got any respect? My friend always says, "Pete is my GOAT." I like a shotmaker, and I think Pegula comes up with some big stuff. That's partly why I like her. And she has exceeded my expectations. And I like her personality.
I think most fans respected Pete, but cheered for any but most of the times he played because he was so bland to watch.
Pete was/is also bland to talk about. And write about. And think about. (Etc., etc.) :gorgeous:

by ashkor87 As for not liking Pegula, there is nothing about her not to like. We are talking about her tennis ability- I think she is good, tier 2, not great, not tier 1..that is all. Whether she makes the cover of Vogue simply does not interest me- tennis is what we are discussing.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:17 am
skatingfan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 am
Pete was/is also bland to talk about. And write about. And think about. (Etc., etc.) :gorgeous:
And one of the reasons this sport is so great. You say he was bland to watch. I thought he was extremely exciting. The serves that would leave the other player frozen. The slam dunks (nobody else had that shot). The running FH was a superb shot.
And yet, we are talking about the same player, but it is as if we were watching two different ones.
I guess, just tastes.

by ashkor87 First time I saw Pete, I was stunned, I couldnt believe he could hit so flat and hard and get away with it.. actually, I thought he will fade, he will never be able to keep doing it.. but he did!

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:57 am As for not liking Pegula, there is nothing about her not to like. We are talking about her tennis ability- I think she is good, tier 2, not great, not tier 1..that is all. Whether she makes the cover of Vogue simply does not interest me- tennis is what we are discussing.
The thing is making the cover of a major fashion magazine, especially for WTA players, is a big deal. If you pay attention to what WTA 250's pay as opposed to ATP 250's the women need the endorsement money in order to keep their heads above water. And the way to attract endorsement money is by making the cover of the Vogue franchise in whatever country you live in. There are options besides Vogue - the Qinwen video is for Marie-Claire - but everyone knows Vogue.

Pegula doesn't have the cachet of Qinwen who cleans up very, very nicely and has the body type people in fashion go for.

It comes down to the (now) old adage "don't hate the player hate the game".

by ashkor87 Pegula doesn't need the money..and who said anything about hate?

by JTContinental
I'm also a fan, albeit more from her personality than her game

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:43 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:57 am As for not liking Pegula, there is nothing about her not to like. We are talking about her tennis ability- I think she is good, tier 2, not great, not tier 1..that is all. Whether she makes the cover of Vogue simply does not interest me- tennis is what we are discussing.
The thing is making the cover of a major fashion magazine, especially for WTA players, is a big deal. If you pay attention to what WTA 250's pay as opposed to ATP 250's the women need the endorsement money in order to keep their heads above water. And the way to attract endorsement money is by making the cover of the Vogue franchise in whatever country you live in. There are options besides Vogue - the Qinwen video is for Marie-Claire - but everyone knows Vogue.

Pegula doesn't have the cachet of Qinwen who cleans up very, very nicely and has the body type people in fashion go for.

FWIW, I don't think she is going to be on the COVER of Vogue. :) Maybe IN Vogue. But probably something else. NYT Magazine is my guess.

by ti-amie
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:58 am
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:43 pm

FWIW, I don't think she is going to be on the COVER of Vogue. :) Maybe IN Vogue. But probably something else. NYT Magazine is my guess.
Vogue does do a China edition I think (I won't die on that hill :lol: ) but right now with so many Chinese Dramas featuring actresses that would probably sell more magazines I think you're right.

by ti-amie UPDATED ATP MD Singles Entry Lists

Entries
Seed Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking

1 Taylor Fritz 9 9
2 Frances Tiafoe 10 10
3 Felix Auger-Aliassime 12 12
4 Hubert Hurkacz 16 18
5 Grigor Dimitrov 20 24
6 Alexander Bublik 26 26
7 Adrian Mannarino 27 35
8 Sebastian Korda 28 25
9 Daniel Evans 30 30
10 Yoshihito Nishioka 31 27
11 Christopher Eubanks 32 43
12 Tallon Griekspoor 36 31
13 Ugo Humbert 38 39
14 Andy Murray 42 40
15 J.J. Wolf 46 48
16 Emil Ruusuvuori 50 47
Gregoire Barrere 53 49
Mackenzie McDonald 55 54
Brandon Nakashima 58 55
Marcos Giron 62 65
Jordan Thompson 63 70
Aslan Karatsev 69 50
Corentin Moutet 73 71
Max Purcell 74 64
Aleksandar Vukic 82 87
Thanasi Kokkinakis 86 90
Yibing Wu 89 62
Alexander Shevchenko 93 97
Constant Lestienne 95 74
Diego Schwartzman 97 98
Radu Albot 98 107
Yosuke Watanuki 102 116
Maxime Cressy 105 58
Taro Daniel 113 106
Michael Mmoh 116 119
Lloyd Harris 204 47 (PR)
(WC) Gael Monfils 322
(WC) Kei Nishikori 439
(WC) Kevin Anderson 645
(WC)
(WC) A+
(SE)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)

Alternates
Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking

1 Emilio Gomez 139 127
2 Liam Broady 126 142
5 Bradley Klahn 799 145 (PR)
7 Juncheng Shang 156 155
8 Vasek Pospisil 165 157
9 Alexander Ritschard 173 161
10 Sho Shimabukuro 160 162
11 Elias Ymer 186 169
12 Denis Kudla 161 180
13 Harold Mayot 182 181
15 Brandon Holt 219 201
16 Zachary Svajda 225 202
17 Shintaro Mochizuki 196 212
19 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski 499 240 (PR)
20 Li Tu 233 246

Withdrawals

Daniil Medvedev 3 3
Denis Shapovalov 22 29
Nick Kyrgios 35 33
Mikael Ymer 51 59
Jeremy Chardy 507 88 (PR)

by ti-amie UPDATED ATP Qualifying Singles Entry Lists

Entries
Seed Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking

1 Liam Broady 126 142
2 Emilio Gomez 139 127
3 Juncheng Shang 156 155
4 Sho Shimabukuro 160 162
5 Denis Kudla 161 180
6 Alexis Galarneau 162 215
7 Shintaro Mochizuki 196 212
8 Brandon Holt 219 201
9 Zachary Svajda 225 202
10 Mitchell Krueger 267 263
11 Mukund Sasikumar 346 385
12 James Trotter 437 573
Kyle Seelig 446 409
Thai-Son Kwiatkowski 499 529
Mateus Alves 503 478
Matija Pecotic 611 613
Bruno Kuzuhara 629 624
Donald Young 653 628
Bradley Klahn 799 145 (PR)
(WC) Andrew Fenty -
Peter Polansky - 336 (PR)
(WC)
(WC)
(WC)

Alternates

3 Kiranpal Pannu 715 671
4 Juan Sebastian Gomez 992 673 (PR)
5 Joshua Sheehy 734 757
6 Osgar O'Hoisin 802 795
7 Kosuke Ogura 804 801
8 Mitchell Harper 807 810
9 Ozan Baris 815 832
10 Roy Smith 858 855
11 Pedja Krstin 1009 877
12 Juan Carlos Aguilar 909 890
13 Connor Farren 959 894
14 Jaycer Lyeons 906 906
15 Michail Pervolarakis 990 916
16 Juan Sebastian Gomez 992 991
17 Preston Brown 982 1012
18 Lorenzo Esquici 1062 1067
19 Kelsey Stevenson 1147 1158
20 Yannick Mertens 1238 1192

Withdrawals

Nicolas Jarry 29 28
Roman Safiullin 47 92
Radu Albot 98 107
Yosuke Watanuki 102 116
Taro Daniel 113 106
Michael Mmoh 116 119
Enzo Couacaud 152 158
Zizou Bergs 158 178
Vasek Pospisil 165 157
Harold Mayot 182 181

by ti-amie UPDATED WTA MD Singles Entry List

Main Draw Singles

4 Pegula, Jessica (USA)
5 Garcia, Caroline (FRA)
7 Gauff, Coco (USA)
8 Sakkari, Maria (GRE)
10 Kasatkina, Daria (RUS)
12 Kudermetova, Veronika (RUS)
14 Bencic, Belinda (SUI)
14 Brady, Jennifer (USA) SR
15 Samsonova, Liudmila (RUS)
18 Keys, Madison (USA)
19 Pliskova, Karolina (CZE)
20 Azarenka, Victoria (BLR)
23 Potapova, Anastasia (RUS)
25 Zheng, Qinwen (CHN)
26 Kalinina, Anhelina (UKR)
27 Pera, Bernarda (USA)
28 Mertens, Elise (BEL)
29 Martic, Petra (CRO)
OUT 35 Badosa, Paula (ESP)
36 Kostyuk, Marta (UKR)
IN 39 Stephens, Sloane (USA) ?

by ti-amie

by Owendonovan

I root for her when she's on court. She's not my favorite, but I like her succeeding with the game she has. She's taken the average(ish) skills she has and parlayed them into a very successful career. Good on her.

by ti-amie WTA Main Draw Singles

USA J. Pegula (1)
/BYE
USA S. Kenin vs Qualifier
UKR E. Svitolina vs BLR V. Azarenka
BEL E. Mertens vs RUS D. Kasatkina (5)

GRE M. Sakkari (4)/BYE
USA B. Pera vs Qualifier
USA J. Brady vs UKR A. Kalinina
CHN Q. Zheng vs USA M. Keys (7)

SUI B. Bencic (6) vs RUS A. Potapova
USA S. Stephens vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs CZE K. Pliskova
BYE/USA C. Gauff (3)

RUS L. Samsonova (8) vs USA D. Collins
ROU S. Cirstea vs CRO P. Martic
CAN B. Andreescu vs UKR M. Kostyuk
BYE/FRA C. Garcia (2)

by ti-amie ATP Men's Singles Draw

(1) Taylor Fritz
/Bye
Qualifier vs Max Purcell
Aleksandar Vukic vs Brandon Nakashima
Bye/(15) Andy Murray

(11) Christopher Eubanks/Bye
(PR) Lloyd Harris vs (WC) Kei Nishikori
(WC) Kevin Anderson vs Jordan Thompson
Bye/(7) Adrian Mannarino

(4) Hubert Hurkacz/Bye
Qualifier vs Michael Mmoh
Marcos Giron vs Radu Albot
Bye/(16) J.J. Wolf

(12) Tallon Griekspoor/Bye
Corentin Moutet vs Liam Broady
(WC) Gael Monfils vs Qualifier
Bye/(6) Alexander Bublik

(5) Grigor Dimitrov/Bye
Mackenzie McDonald vs Diego Schwartzman
Emil Ruusuvuori vs Constant Lestienne
Bye/(10) Yoshihito Nishioka

(13) Ugo Humbert/Bye
Taro Daniel vs Thanasi Kokkinakis
Yosuke Watanuki vs Yibing Wu
Bye/(3) Felix Auger-Aliassime

(8) Sebastian Korda/Bye
Maxime Cressy vs Alexander Shevchenko
Qualifier vs Gregoire Barrere
Bye/(9) Daniel Evans

(14) WC Ben Shelton/Bye
Qualifier vs Emilio Gomez
Aslan Karatsev vs Qualifier
Bye/(2) Frances Tiafoe

by ti-amie WTA Qualifying Draw

A. Blinkova (1)
vs C. Ngounoue
K. Day vs M. Frech (7)

V. Gracheva (2) vs L. Fernandez
E. Mandlik vs K. Boulter (6)

A. Parks (3) vs H. Baptiste
I. Shymanovich vs P. Stearns (5)

L. Davis (4) vs A. Smith
A. Krueger vs R. Peterson (8)

by ti-amie ATP Qualifying Singles Draw

(1) Juncheng Shang
vs Gage Brymer
(PR) Peter Polansky vs (12) Thai-Son Kwiatkowski

(2) Sho Shimabukuro vs Donald Young
(PR) Bradley Klahn vs (10) James Trotter

(3) Denis Kudla vs Kiranpal Pannu
Bruno Kuzuhara vs (9) Mukund Sasikumar

(4) Alexis Galarneau vs (PR) Juan Sebastian Gomez
(WC) Bjorn Fratangelo vs (8) Mitchell Krueger

(5) Shintaro Mochizuki vs Mateus Alves
(WC) Benjamin Kittay vs (11) Kyle Seelig

(6) Brandon Holt vs (WC) Andrew Fenty
(WC) Ryan Harrison vs (7) Zachary Svajda

by JTContinental In "one to watch" news, junior Wimbledon champ Clervie Ngounoue took out top seed Anna Blinkova 3&2 in the first round of qualifying.

by ti-amie A lot is being made of this.

by ponchi101 And we keep asking the same question: what can the WTA do? Do they have the leverage to impose equal prize money at joint events that are not Slams?

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:39 pm And we keep asking the same question: what can the WTA do? Do they have the leverage to impose equal prize money at joint events that are not Slams?
If you win the WTA 250 in Prague your take home is about $20k.

Meanwhile at the ATP 250 in Los Cabos $852,480 is the pool of money available with a total financial commitment of $946,975.

by ponchi101 I know. We are not in disagreement about fairness or not. I am wondering what can the WTA do to increase prize money.
I live by that. There were several projects in which I was getting paid less than an identical counterpart simply because "he is from L. America and the cost of living is less there".
And I could bitch and moan as much as I wanted, but that was what was offered to me. Fair? Hell no. Anything I could do? Nothing. So I got on my plane and did not think about it.

by ashkor87 Time for the prediction.. I would say Medvedev and Bencic this year... for the win.

by ponchi101 Medvedev? Yes, should be his. Bencic? I say mid ranked player, not Bencic. It is a very even tournament.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:45 pm Time for the prediction.. I would say Medvedev and Bencic this year... for the win.
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:01 pm Medvedev? Yes, should be his. Bencic? I say mid ranked player, not Bencic. It is a very even tournament.
Wow it's hard to believe you could both be this wrong before the tournament even starts.
Daniil Medvedev won't play at the 2023 Citi Open in Washington next week as the Russian withdrew from the ATP 500 event.
https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/daniil- ... washington

by ponchi101 If you find it hard to believe that I COULD BE WRONG, you have not been paying attention for like the last... ten years? ;)

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:30 pm If you find it hard to believe that I COULD BE WRONG, you have not been paying attention for like the last... ten years? ;)
As per usual you are too hard on yourself.

by ti-amie Monday, July 31, 2023 Day 3

Stadium Starts At 12:00 Pm

(8) Liudmila Samsonova
VS (WC) Danielle Collins
Followed By
(WC) Bianca Andreescu VS Marta Kostyuk
Not Before 4:00 Pm
Mackenzie McDonald VS Diego Schwartzman
Not Before 7:00 PM
(WC) Elina Svitolina VS Victoria Azarenka
Followed By
(WC) Gael Monfils VS (Q) Bjorn Fratangelo

John Harris Starts At 12:00 Noon

Emil Ruusuvuori VS Constant Lestienne
Followed By
(Q) Bradley Klahn VS Michael Mmoh
Followed By
Sloane Stephens VS (Q) Lauren Davis
Followed By
Marcos Giron VS Radu Albot
Followed By
Elise Mertens VS (5) Daria Kasatkina

Grandstand Starts At 12:00 Pm

(6) Belinda Bencic
VS Anastasia Potapova
Followed By
Christopher Eubanks/Sebastian Korda VS Hubert Hurkacz/Frances Tiafoe
Followed By
(WC) Daniel Evans/Andy Murray VS (2) Austin Krajicek/Mate Pavic
Followed By
(OSE) Petra Martic/Maria Sakkari VS (OSE) Jennifer Brady/Madison Keys

Court 4 Starts At 12:00 Pm

(4) Miyu Kato/Aldila Sutjiadi VS Lyudmyla Kichenok/Nadiia Kichenok
Followed By
Maxime Cressy VS Alexander Shevchenko
Followed By
Grigor Dimitrov/Nicolas Mahut VS Jamie Murray/Michael Venus
Followed By
Maximo Gonzalez/Andres Molteni VS Robin Haase/Nikola Mektic
Followed By
(Q) Shintaro Mochizuki VS Gregoire Barrere

Court 5 Starts At 12:00 Noon

(Q) Juncheng Shang VS Emilio Gomez
Followed By
Yosuke Watanuki VS Yibing Wu
Followed By
Aslan Karatsev. VS (Q) Kiranpal Pannu
Followed By
Corentin Moutet VS Liam Broady

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:42 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:45 pm Time for the prediction.. I would say Medvedev and Bencic this year... for the win.
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:01 pm Medvedev? Yes, should be his. Bencic? I say mid ranked player, not Bencic. It is a very even tournament.
Wow it's hard to believe you could both be this wrong before the tournament even starts.
Daniil Medvedev won't play at the 2023 Citi Open in Washington next week as the Russian withdrew from the ATP 500 event.
https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/daniil- ... washington
Well, if the player withdraws..what can anyone do?

by ashkor87 Unfortunately players don't seem to take this tournament too seriously.. 3 big tournaments to prepare for..so predictions here are not to be taken too seriously either...

by JTContinental The main draw cutoff for the women's draw is 39, so I think they might be taking it seriously.

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:17 am The main draw cutoff for the women's draw is 39, so I think they might be taking it seriously.
what does that have to do with it?

Men: Fritz should win, given the slow surface.. and Bencic.. the others who could so well are Samsonova and Keys...

by JTContinental It's saying that the quality of the draw is high, and doesn't support the theory that players aren't taking it seriously, at least on the women's side.

by 3mlm
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:27 am It's saying that the quality of the draw is high, and doesn't support the theory that players aren't taking it seriously, at least on the women's side.
True. The women's seeds are ranked 3, 4, 5, 9, 11, 15, 16 and 18; the men's seeds are ranked 9, 10, 12, 16, 20, 26, 27 and 28.

by Fastbackss
3mlm wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:16 am
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:27 am It's saying that the quality of the draw is high, and doesn't support the theory that players aren't taking it seriously, at least on the women's side.
True. The women's seeds are ranked 3, 4, 5, 9, 11, 15, 16 and 18; the men's seeds are ranked 9, 10, 12, 16, 20, 26, 27 and 28.
This (I think) is the better indicator since the women's draw is smaller

by ponchi101 Let's also remember that the top players in the world, both for the ATP and WTA, are European. And once they come to the Americas it means at least 5 weeks of being here. They may want to stay one extra week back home (I assume they all see themselves as making the second week of the USO; they are, after all, the top players).

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:05 pm Let's also remember that the top players in the world, both for the ATP and WTA, are European. And once they come to the Americas it means at least 5 weeks of being here. They may want to stay one extra week back home (I assume they all see themselves as making the second week of the USO; they are, after all, the top players).
hmm.. i suspect most of them live and train in Florida

by ponchi101 Uhm, I don't know. Alcaraz, Djokovic and Medvedev are based in Europe (Spain, Serbia and Monte Carlo). Iga and Elena live in their countries; I am not sure about Aryna, but there you may be right.
Ruud is still based in Norway, Stefanos (I think) is in MC too.

With the opening of the Rafa academy in Mallorca, and Mouratoglou's complex in France, training facilities in Europe are available and excellent. Murray sold his flat in Miami, Vika too.
Maybe some other members can tell us more.

by ti-amie Tuesday, August 01, 2023 Day 4

Stadium Starts At 12:00 Noon

(14) WC Ben Shelton
VS (Q) Juncheng Shang
Followed By
(5) Grigor Dimitrov
VS Mackenzie McDonald Or Diego Schwartzman
Starting At 4:00 PM
(Q) Hailey Baptiste VS Karolina Pliskova
Not Before 7:00 Pm
Aslan Karatsev Or Kiranpal Pannu VS (2) Frances Tiafoe
Not Before 8:30 PM
Qinwen Zheng VS (7) Madison Keys

John Harris Starts At 12:00 Pm

Sorana Cirstea VS Petra Martic
Not Before 2:00 PM
Jennifer Brady VS Anhelina Kalinina
Followed By
(4) Hubert Hurkacz
VS Michael Mmoh
Followed By
Bernarda Pera VS (Q) Leylah Fernandez
Followed By
(8) Sebastian Korda
VS Alexander Shevchenko

(WC) Sofia Kenin VS (Q) Magdalena Frech
Followed By
(PR) Lloyd Harris VS (WC) Kei Nishikori
Followed By / TBA
QF
Maximo Gonzalez/Andres Molteni Or Robin Haase/Nikola Mektic VS Daniel Evans/Andy Murray Or Austin Krajicek/Mate Pavic
Not Before 3:30 Pm / After Suitable Rest
(WC) Mackenzie McDonald/Ben Shelton VS (Q) Alexander Bublik/Tallon Griekspoor

Court 4 Starts At 12:00 Noon

Taro Daniel VS Thanasi Kokkinakis
Followed By
Aleksandar Vukic VS Brandon Nakashima
Followed By / Potential Court Change
Emil Ruusuvuori VS (10) Yoshihito Nishioka
Followed By
WTA DOUBLES TBA

Court 5 Starts At 12:00 Pm

(1) Nicole Melichar-Martinez/Ellen Perez VS (OSE) Anna Blinkova/Varvara Gracheva
Followed By
(Q) Zachary Svajda VS Max Purcell
Followed By / Potential Court Change
(WC) Kevin Anderson VS Jordan Thompson
Not Before 2:00 Pm
(3) Lloyd Glasspool/Harri Heliovaara
VS Fabrice Martin/Hugo Nys

by ti-amie

Morgado's account on Mastodon links back to that hell site as you see here.

That said I hope he's okay.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:15 pm

Morgado's account on Mastodon links back to that hell site as you see here.

That said I hope he's okay.
Is it this hot? The humidity in Indiana has broken this week, so it's pleasant now. Usually our weather is similar to DC's. It's much less humid than normal here. Hope he is okay.

by ponchi101 A lot of these tournaments have to follow Los Cabos and Acapulco. Start play late in the afternoon.

by skatingfan I think this is an issue for Wu Yibing - he fainted during his match against Frances Tiafoe at Wimbledon a few weeks ago.

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:01 am I think this is an issue that Wu Yibing - he fainted during his match against Frances Tiafoe at Wimbledon a few weeks ago.
Hope he's seeing a specialist. Worrisome.

by ashkor87 Svitolina does seem to have become more aggressive - hitting the ball harder, serving harder.. looked very good in her win over Vika

by ashkor87 again, based on notoriously unreliable videos, court seems medium-fast, not painfully slow.. not really fast either. If anyone would care to tell me, having seen an entire match, I would certainly appreciate observations on the speed...

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:13 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:05 pm Let's also remember that the top players in the world, both for the ATP and WTA, are European. And once they come to the Americas it means at least 5 weeks of being here. They may want to stay one extra week back home (I assume they all see themselves as making the second week of the USO; they are, after all, the top players).
That used to be true 20-30 years ago, but no longer. Sabalenka and Azarenka the only ones I can think of.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:30 am
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:13 pm
That used to be true 20-30 years ago, but no longer. Sabalenka and Azarenka the only ones I can think of.
they may have gone back home due to Corona but I would ve suprised if most of them do not still make their base in Florida - they need the all-year-round good weather to be able to play outdoors. But if it is true, it is certainly a change.. i see many players like Badosa and Federer train in Dubai.. same reason, need the sunshine..France may be a great place to live but I cant imagine people playing outdoors there in winter.

by ashkor87 meanwhile, impressive win for Samsonova over Collins - could win this title again, she likes this surface and presumably, as defending champrion, feels good here.. Collins did not play badly, Samsonova seemed to just overpower her

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:45 am meanwhile, impressive win for Samsonova over Collins - could win this title again, she likes this surface and presumably, as defending champrion, feels good here.. Collins did not play badly, Samsonova seemed to just overpower her
It was way more lopsided than what I expected. I felt Collins had a chance, specially being the home player.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:30 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:45 am meanwhile, impressive win for Samsonova over Collins - could win this title again, she likes this surface and presumably, as defending champrion, feels good here.. Collins did not play badly, Samsonova seemed to just overpower her
It was way more lopsided than what I expected. I felt Collins had a chance, specially being the home player.
i think Samsonova is better than people think (but I am a fan anyway)

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:50 pm
Samsonova seems like one of those players who has the talent, we've seen it, and we just don't know when it's going to show up at its fullest extent. In other words, so far she has been inconsistent. I don't think the results are as random as they seem from our perspective, though. We just aren't aware of all the currents in a player's life/game, the fluctuations of confidence, physical condition, mental focus, life interruptions, etc.

by mmmm8
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:59 pm A lot of these tournaments have to follow Los Cabos and Acapulco. Start play late in the afternoon.
I believe DC used to do this - the heat there is notorious. But looks like with the addition of the higher-profile women's matches they shifted earlier. Not the best idea probably. There'd been some cases of heat exhaustion in the past there.

by meganfernandez
mmmm8 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:33 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:59 pm A lot of these tournaments have to follow Los Cabos and Acapulco. Start play late in the afternoon.
I believe DC used to do this - the heat there is notorious. But looks like with the addition of the higher-profile women's matches they shifted earlier. Not the best idea probably. There'd been some cases of heat exhaustion in the past there.
The humidity is awful in this part of the country in July and August. Same for Atlanta, same for Cincy (or can be, not as bad as I've heard about DC, maybe because Cincy is pretty open). I've always wondered if it's really harder on players than other places with extreme heat, like Australia and Miami. Since the sport follows the sun, I bet a lot of places are oppressively hot.

Then sometimes it's downright cold! I was freezing at a night session at the US Open a few years ago. I had to buy a fleece blanket in the gift shop, the cheapest thing there. It certainly adds another wrinkle to the players' lives, since the weather changes conditions for their body, their prep, he ball, and the court.

That said, this week in DC is a mild one. Humidity is low and it's mid-80s. Quite nice tennis weather.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:16 pm

Samsonova seems like one of those players who has the talent, we've seen it, and we just don't know when it's going to show up at its fullest extent. In other words, so far she has been inconsistent. I don't think the results are as random as they seem from our perspective, though. We just aren't aware of all the currents in a player's life/game, the fluctuations of confidence, physical condition, mental focus, life interruptions, etc.
I think it is simpler than that...she needs the court to be slow..that is all ..no psychoanalysis required

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:35 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:16 pm

I think it is simpler than that...she needs the court to be slow..that is all ..no psychoanalysis required
I don't think it's psychoanalysis. I mean all the factors that affect a player day to day, week to week, etc, that shape confidence and the body and mind. All of a sudden a player pops off and has a great week or a big run, and we think, where did that come from? It might have been building in a way that we didn't notice. We just chalk it up to inconsistency. And we tend to only value wins, when it's performance that matters, and good things can come from losses, too, since most people lose every week. Even avid fans don't have a very good understanding of the full picture.

If all she needs is a slow court to be great, why hasn't she been great yet? :) Four titles is solid, one 500 and three 250s. And three were last year, so that's what I'm saying - maybe she is building some confidence that will pay off this year when things align. Maybe you're right. :)

by meganfernandez Shelton's forehand is a mess. He was up a break in the 2nd, serving for a 5-2 lead, and got broken. Shang won 15 consecutive points in the first set. Shang beat him 7 days ago in Atlanta 4 and 4, so you'd think that's in Shelton's head - or that he'd have a better game plan this time. Interesting contrast between the two because Shang was a World No. 1 junior and Shelton didn't play internationally but prepped for NCAA instead. They are two years apart, and so far, Shang's path looks smarter. Maybe that's not fair and it's more about the actual player. And Shelton is ranked #43 while Shang is #156.

Shelton just broke back and is serving for the 2nd.

by ponchi101 About Samsonova. Let's not forget randomness. The level of play for anybody, be her a pro or just a weekend hack, has a variation. That is the reason the great ones are great: their variation is fluctuates less. They can produce, at a minimum, very good tennis. Or great tennis. But they don't produce mediocre tennis.
Maddie is my key example. At her very best, she is absolutely great. And then, the next day, she produces top 50 tennis. Good enough for a very fine career, but not for greatness.
Ostapenko too.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:18 pm About Samsonova. Let's not forget randomness. The level of play for anybody, be her a pro or just a weekend hack, has a variation. That is the reason the great ones are great: their variation is fluctuates less. They can produce, at a minimum, very good tennis. Or great tennis. But they don't produce mediocre tennis.
Maddie is my key example. At her very best, she is absolutely great. And then, the next day, she produces top 50 tennis. Good enough for a very fine career, but not for greatness.
Ostapenko too.
Right. Consistency. I'm saying I think there is more to the story of each player's inconsistency than we know. We chalk it up to mental toughness or something broad and fundamental, not the actual circumstances, but it's probably more nuanced and circumstantial than that, especially in the space of a year or two. Over the course of a career, maybe it's that simple.

We also tend to assume that what is happening will continue to happen. Like, Vondrousova had only won 2 grass-court matches, so surely she couldn't win Wimbledon. But as it turns out, she has a game for grass and just hadn't produced results yet for one reason or another. Pam Shriver said after a couple rounds, it was clear that Vondrousova was embracing grass and playing extremely well on it. And we didn't give Vondrousova enough credit for having played big matches before. I guess that's fair, but most of us were wrong. We usually don't know the real story.

by ponchi101 You know my opinion about the "mental toughness" label. ;)

by jazzyg That was one sloppy second set between Shelton and Shang.

Some good points but far too many first-ball errors from Shsng in particular.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:23 pm You know my opinion about the "mental toughness" label. ;)
I don't, acdtually. :)

I'm guilty of throwing it around, too. I use it to explain Keys. And maybe it's fair. Maybe it's a distinguisher. But would anyone get to the Top 100 without being extremely mentally tough? Seems to me, if I'm watching someone on TV, they're mentally tough or they wouldn't even be there.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is still enough of a difference to matter within the very top echelons of the game.

by jazzyg On Vondrousova, it is true her game is well suited for grass and she had won big matches before.

But let's make no mistake about it. Jabeur would have beaten her comfortably if she had not been playing with one hand around her throat. I rewatched the match a couple of days ago and that point is not debatable in my opinion.

by ti-amie Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
@christophclarey@sportsbots.xyz
Kei Nishikori has withdrawn from Washington DC event one week after his rousing return to the tour in Atlanta.

Hopefully just a blip. Was wearing tape on left knee in his last match in Atlanta: perhaps unrelated.

Tennis certainly better with Nishikori in the mix

#getty

by ti-amie Ah tennis. See the Toronto thread.

by ti-amie Shang serving for the match at 5-3 in the third.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:52 pm Shang serving for the match at 5-3 in the third.
And he served it out. I wouldn't say Shelton has regressed by any means, but it's been a rough year. Shang shouldn't be out of Shelton's league. But Shelton had a lot of loose forehands and doesn't seem to have a lot of confidence.

by ti-amie Shelton has been in Europe for most of the spring/summer so he may be a bit jet lagged/tired right now. Still Shang may just have his number. He beat Ben in Atlanta too.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:59 pm Shelton has been in Europe for most of the spring/summer so he may be a bit jet lagged/tired right now. Still Shang may just have his number. He beat Ben in Atlanta too.
Yes, 7 days ago, and you'd think that was a factor. And Shelton didn't appear to have a different game plan, per Twitter.

Good point about his schedule. He has played every week, except one, since early April. He lost early every week so he had time off, sometimes more than a week in the case of the 1000s, so he might have come home, I don't know. Do you? But it was a long slog and probably mentally/emotionally draining with all those losses. I wonder if he's burning himself out before the Open or thinks he has to play through the slump.

by ti-amie
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:21 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:59 pm Shelton has been in Europe for most of the spring/summer so he may be a bit jet lagged/tired right now. Still Shang may just have his number. He beat Ben in Atlanta too.
Yes, 7 days ago, and you'd think that was a factor. And Shelton didn't appear to have a different game plan, per Twitter.

Good point about his schedule. He has played every week, except one, since early April. He lost early every week so he had time off, sometimes more than a week in the case of the 1000s, so he might have come home, I don't know. Do you? But it was a long slog and probably mentally/emotionally draining with all those losses. I wonder if he's burning himself out before the Open or thinks he has to play through the slump.
I wonder about that too. With Toronto, Cincy and the USOpen coming up it might be a good idea to lose early like he did today and give himself a few days rest. It seems players are looking at the Toronto/Cincy back to back and deciding what their bodies and minds can take but we'll see.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:28 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:21 pm

I wonder about that too. With Toronto, Cincy and the USOpen coming up it might be a good idea to lose early like he did today and give himself a few days rest. It seems players are looking at the Toronto/Cincy back to back and deciding what their bodies and minds can take but we'll see.
I think he could use some wins and he will keep playing through it, unless he feels exhausted. Guessing a 20-year-old athlete doesn't think that way. :) I bet he even plays Winston-Salem. Maybe he should skip Canada and take a breather. By contrast, Shang was off from April through the French with mono and was restless and motivated when he returned. https://www.atptour.com/en/news/shang-w ... 23-feature

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:25 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:23 pm You know my opinion about the "mental toughness" label. ;)
I don't, acdtually. :)

I'm guilty of throwing it around, too. I use it to explain Keys. And maybe it's fair. Maybe it's a distinguisher. But would anyone get to the Top 100 without being extremely mentally tough? Seems to me, if I'm watching someone on TV, they're mentally tough or they wouldn't even be there.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is still enough of a difference to matter within the very top echelons of the game.
Then, here it is. And you know I value your opinion.
It needs such a long explanation.
http://blogs.talkabouttennis2.com/index ... -strength/

by JTContinental American women 3-0 so far today

Hailey Baptiste takes out Pliskova in 3 sets

Jen Brady breezed past Kalinina 1&2

LL Peyton Stearns takes out Magdalena Frech in straight sets

by nelslus AND, after having saved 3 match points in the third (and losing a match point in the second set- on Hurkacz's serve- Mmoh wins.

I watched it on and off (off being me taking nap-time after we got home after going to the Chicagoland Botanic Garden in HOT!!!! weather). 'Twas a strange match. As the commentators kept bringing up over and over again- Herbie played some strange tennis- alternating strong play with crap, CRAP play. Nevertheless- another much needed big win for Mmoh. :bananas:

by ti-amie Wednesday, August 02, 2023 Day 5

(6) Belinda Bencic
VS (Q) Lauren Davis
(WC) Elina Svitolina VS (5) Daria Kasatkina
Brandon Nakashima VS (15) Andy Murray
(Q) Hailey Baptiste VS (3) Coco Gauff
Followed By
(1) Taylor Fritz VS (Q) Zachary Svajda

(13) Ugo Humbert VS Thanasi Kokkinakis
Followed By
Yosuke Watanuki VS (3) Felix Auger-Aliassime
Not Before 4:00 PM
(8) Liudmila Samsonova
VS Sorana Cirstea
Followed By
(WC) Gael Monfils VS (6) Alexander Bublik
Not Before 8:30 PM
Jennifer Brady VS TBD

Grandstand Starts At 12:00 Noon

Radu Albot VS (16) J.J. Wolf
Followed By
(11) Christopher Eubanks VS (LL) Sho Shimabukuro
Lloyd Glasspool/Harri Heliovaa Or Fabrice Martin/Hugo Nys VS Hubert Hurkacz/Frances Tiafoe
Followed By
Ingrid Neel/Erin Routliffe VS (2) Shuko Aoyama/Gabriela Dabrowski

Alexa Guarachi/Monica Niculescu VS Lidziya Marozava/Ingrid Gamarra Martins
Followed By
Gregoire Barrere VS (9) Daniel Evans
Followed By
(12) Tallon Griekspoor VS Liam Broady
Followed By
Sander Gille/Joran Vliegen VS (4) Marcelo Arevalo/Jean-Julien Rojer

Court 5 Starts At 12:00 Noon

(1) Rajeev Ram/Joe Salisbury VS Juan Sebastian Cabal/Matthew Ebden
Kevin Anderson Or Jordan Thompson VS (7) Adrian Mannarino
Followed By
Tereza Mihalikova/Zhaoxuan Yang VS (OSE) Laura Siegemund/Vera Zvonareva
After Suitable Rest
(WC) Hailey Baptiste/Sloane Stephens VS (3) Hao-Ching Chan/Giuliana Olmos

by ashkor87 Look at the losses Samsonova has had on slow courts (ignore the grass..) Pavlyuchenkova at the French is not a shame, for instance..

by Jeff from TX
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:49 pm Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
@christophclarey@sportsbots.xyz
Kei Nishikori has withdrawn from Washington DC event one week after his rousing return to the tour in Atlanta.

Hopefully just a blip. Was wearing tape on left knee in his last match in Atlanta: perhaps unrelated.

Tennis certainly better with Nishikori in the mix

#getty
Apparently he pulled out citing a knee injury. That didn't take long. *sigh*

by ti-amie Svitolina rolled over Kasatkina 6-2 first set and is up 2-0 in the second.

Eubanks routines Shimabukura 3&4. They were hanging from the rafters for this match.

by ponchi101 Again, we need more tech in this sport. Is Svitolina really hitting the ball harder? Is she moving faster? If we had proper stats in this sport, we could know.
Because if she is hitting the ball harder, please, tell us how.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Thursday, August 03, 2023 Day 6

(5) Grigor Dimitrov
VS Emil Ruusuvuori
Marta Kostyuk VS (2) Caroline Garcia
Followed By
(1) Jessica Pegula VS (LL) Peyton Stearns
Not Before 7:00 Pm
(Q) Juncheng Shang VS (2) Frances Tiafoe
Followed By
Taylor Fritz Or Zachary Svajda VS Andy Murray

Michael Mmoh VS (16) J.J. Wolf
Followed By
(13) Ugo Humbert
VS Yosuke Watanuki
(11) Christopher Eubanks
VS Jordan Thompson
Not Before 6:00 PM
(4) Maria Sakkari VS (Q) Leylah Fernandez

Lyudmyla Kichenok/Nadiia Kichenok VS (ALT) Makoto Ninomiya/Sabrina Santamaria
Followed By
Juan Sebastian Cabal/Matthew Ebden VS (WC) Mackenzie McDonald/Ben Shelton
Followed By
Tallon Griekspoor Or Liam Broady VS Gael Monfils Or Alexander Bublik
Followed By
Alexander Shevchenko VS (9) Daniel Evans

Court 4 Starting At 1:00 PM

(1) Nicole Melichar-Martinez/Ellen Perez VS TBD
Not Before 3:00 Pm
Jamie Murray/Michael Venus VS Sander Gille/Joran Vliegen Or Marcelo Arevalo/Jean-Julien Rojer

Court 5 Not Before 4:00 PM

(OSE) Jennifer Brady/Madison Keys VS TBD
TBA
Alexa Guarachi/Monica Niculescu VS TBD

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:44 pm Again, we need more tech in this sport. Is Svitolina really hitting the ball harder? Is she moving faster? If we had proper stats in this sport, we could know.
Because if she is hitting the ball harder, please, tell us how.
I can believe my own eyes..don't need statistics! I can see the ball travelling faster, with more zip, when she hits it now...versus earlier. Svitolina might even win this tournament.. I wouldn't have expected the earlier version to do much here...would love to see her win..!..

by JTContinental No competitive matches today on the women's side

by ashkor87 Sakkari-leylah should be good...hope LF wins

by ti-amie Kostyuk is toying with a tentative #2 seed Caroline Garcia right now. She's up 6-2, 4-2 and trying to break again.

by ti-amie Kostyuk takes out Garcia 6-2, 6-3.

by ponchi101 It seems Garcia's career year was 2022. She has been unable to replicate anything close to that level.

by JTContinental
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:44 pm It seems Garcia's career year was 2022. She has been unable to replicate anything close to that level.
I tried to tell y'all that it wasn't for real :gorgeous:

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:05 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:44 pm It seems Garcia's career year was 2022. She has been unable to replicate anything close to that level.
I tried to tell y'all that it wasn't for real :gorgeous:
That you did

by ashkor87
You are underestimating Kostyuk..she is incredibly talented, can beat anyone on a given day...didn't see the match (they are all in the middle of the night for me) so don't really know how they both played...

by ponchi101 Not talking about this one single match. Garcia has yet to produce any result that is worthy for the year. And Kostyuk may be very talented, but she is not a rookie that is exploding into the scene. She is also established and we know what she can do. So, 2 & 3 against Garcia says things about both. Good win for Kostyuk, bad loss for Garcia.

by ti-amie It seems play is over due to the weather but no OoP has been posted for tomorrow as of now and I have to sign off for the night. Bother.

by patrick Garcia points will start to dwindle when Cincinnati commence.

by ashkor87 Analytics suggest Pegula vs Svitolina is 61-39...it looks more like 50-50 to me..same class players..

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:21 am Analytics suggest Pegula vs Svitolina is 61-39...it looks more like 50-50 to me..same class players..
They are going by the usual stats, but this time there are too many imponderables. The math can't take into consideration Svitolina's layoff, nor can it take into consideration that she seems to be a different player during her return.
I will give it to Pegula too, but no by that margin. Just a bit of percentahe to her. And if Svitolina wins, I will not be surprised one bit.

by ti-amie Friday, August 04, 2023 Day 7

(1) Jessica Pegula
VS (WC) Elina Svitolina
(1) Taylor Fritz VS (15) Andy Murray
Followed By / TBF 0/0
R16
(Q) Juncheng Shang VS (2) Frances Tiafoe
(6) Belinda Bencic
VS (3) Coco Gauff
Followed By / TBA
QF
Alexander Shevchenko Or Daniel Evans VS Juncheng Shang Or Frances Tiafoe

John Harris Starts At 12:00 Pm

(4) Maria Sakkari
VS (Q) Leylah Fernandez
Not Before 2:00 Pm / TBF 2/5
R16
(11) Christopher Eubanks VS Jordan Thompson
Not Before 2:30 PM
(8) Liudmila Samsonova
VS Marta Kostyuk
After Suitable Rest
TBD VS (7) Madison Keys
Followed By / TBA
QF
Taylor Fritz Or Andy Murray VS Christopher Eubanks Or Jordan Thompson

Grandstand Starts At 12:00 Noon

SF
(WC) Mackenzie McDonald/Ben Shelton VS (3) Lloyd Glasspool/Harri Heliovaara
Not Before 2:00 Pm / TBF 6/4 1/6 1/0
R16
(12) Tallon Griekspoor VS (WC) Gael Monfils
Not Before 3:00 Pm / TBF 0/0
R16
Alexander Shevchenko VS (9) Daniel Evans
Not Before 5:00 Pm
QF
(5) Grigor Dimitrov VS (13) Ugo Humbert
Followed By
QF
(16) J.J. Wolf VS Tallon Griekspoor Or Gael Monfils

(OSE) Laura Siegemund/Vera Zvonareva VS Lyudmyla Kichenok/Nadiia Kichenok
Followed By
Alexa Guarachi/Monica Niculescu VS (2) Shuko Aoyama/Gabriela Dabrowski

by meganfernandez Pegula/Svitolina is very, very good. The first point of the 5-4 game was Slam-final worthy.

Edit: incredible hustle from both... great stuff... Svitolina is coming in a lot more than in the past.

by meganfernandez Terrific win from Pegula. She hung tough, had 3 or 4 match points, had to serve it out after losing some MPs on Svitolia's serve in the third set. Pegula saved all 6 break points against her in the third set.

Damn, i really wanted Svitolina and Monfils to both win the title.

by ti-amie We've been talking a lot about Pegula and her win today is a good one for her. She came out in the second set a completely different player and Svitolina, looking like her old, tentative self when it came to crunch time, never recovered. She did fight back a bit in the third but if Pegula had lost that match soul-crushing wouldn't begin to describe how horrible it would've been for her.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:26 pm We've been talking a lot about Pegula and her win today is a good one for her. She came out in the second set a completely different player and Svitolina, looking like her old, tentative self when it came to crunch time, never recovered. She did fight back a bit in the third but if Pegula had lost that match soul-crushing wouldn't begin to describe how horrible it would've been for her.
In her on-court interview, Pegula said if she hadn't served it out, she probably would have lost quickly 7-5. She said you aren't supposed to think that way, but it was honest - she said it was a very physical match and she was pretty tired. That's one reason I love Pegula. She also had lovely things to say about Svitolina.

by jazzyg If I read one more post about Pegula not being a tier 1 player, so help me God.

It is established that she cannot reach the same level as an in-form Sabalenka or Swiatek, but (and now I'm repeating myself but sometimes it feels like I'm hitting a blank wall), she was up 4-1 with a point for 5-1 on Vondrousova in the Wimbledon quarterfinals. She very probably would have beaten Svitolina in the semis and would have had a shot against a nervous Jabeur in the final. If you believe she's tier 2, your standards are too dang high.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:12 pm If I read one more post about Pegula not being a tier 1 player, so help me God.

It is established that she cannot reach the same level as an in-form Sabalenka or Swiatek, but (and now I'm repeating myself but sometimes it feels like I'm hitting a blank wall), she was up 4-1 with a point for 5-1 on Vondrousova in the Wimbledon quarterfinals. She very probably would have beaten Svitolina in the semis and would have had a shot against a nervous Jabeur in the final. If you believe she's tier 2, your standards are too dang high.
Amen! I just worry about her closing abilities. She closed well today.

by nelslus
jazzyg wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:28 pm On Vondrousova, it is true her game is well suited for grass and she had won big matches before.

But let's make no mistake about it. Jabeur would have beaten her comfortably if she had not been playing with one hand around her throat. I rewatched the match a couple of days ago and that point is not debatable in my opinion.
....LOL, and now, with great joy- I gotta give jazzyg another TAT "so help me God" moment. :shock:

Yours is not a debatable statement?!?! Ummmmm.....when did Jabeur suddenly become a Steffi Graf Wimbledon certainty? Prior to their Wimbledon final, Jabeur had already lost twice this year to Vondrousova. Coming back from injuries, Jabeur had, very understandably, not been having a great season this year, especially by her standards from last year. Prior to Wimbledon, she had lost on grass to Niemeier and Giorgi- not terrible losses on grass, but, still. At the best of times- Jabeur has shown the ability to get very negative and underwhelming during big matches.

Honestly, this year, I thought it was an incredible achievement for Jabeur to make the Wimbledon final. Now, sure- it is quite debatable that, IF Ons had been able to play her very best tennis vs. Vondrousova's very best at Wimbledon- odds are, she'd have won. And, I had picked Jabeur to win this Wimbledon. But, it was clear to me that Vondrousova also had a very good chance of winning, especially vs. this year's Ons. And, I wouldn't have seen any scenario where Ons was going to win that final "comfortably". (BTW, health permitting, I do think Ons can win multiple Slam titles.)

Plus- I just don't ever get into viewing any point that any of us make as being not debatable. Especially when, IMO, this particular point is quite debatable.

by nelslus
jazzyg wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:12 pm If I read one more post about Pegula not being a tier 1 player, so help me God.

PS: AND, as much as I'd LOVE to now say that Jessica is not a Tier 1 player :gorgeous: - I do believe that it's just one TAT member listing Pegula as not being Tier 1. I mean- come on, she's Tier 1. (Debatable if Pegula could be listed as a Tier 1 Slam winner candidate. IMO, she does have to "prove" herself there.)

by JTContinental Whoever is commentating on the Tiafoe/Shang match (Is it Vera Zvonareva?) has a vast knowledge of men's tennis.

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:08 pm Whoever is commentating on the Tiafoe/Shang match (Is it Vera Zvonareva?) has a vast knowledge of men's tennis.
I've been wondering who she is! I thought he called her "Olga" but I'm probably wrong.

by jazzyg I put not debatable IN MY OPINION to soften the comment.

But anyway, I'm not talking about history or any other complete extraneous information you used for your opinion. I'm talking about the actual match. She was up 2-0 in a flash and had game points in each of the next two games before it got to 2-all. She got back up 4-2 and had chances to extend her lead and failed again, mostly due to her mistakes--the same ones she had not made in her four previous matches against good to great players. She missed a forehand a few inches long that would have given her a 5-2 lead, and from that point on, her game went downhill dramatically and Vondrousva raised her game when given a reprieve.

In that match, I am certain the way Jabeur started and had played the whole tournament, she would have won comfortably if she had not choked. I don't give a darn about what her form was earlier in the year when she was returning from injury or in grass court lead-ups. I'm talking about her form in the tournament and even at the beginning of that match, plus her form when she reached the Wimbledon and U.S. Open finals last year.

Do you have an opinion based on watching that particular match in the final against Vondrousova? Or is based on your general assessment of her ability? Because if it's the latter, we will never agree or even have a basis for arguing with each other because our standards of judging are worlds apart.

And yes, i realize it's only one poster repeatedly mentioning Pegula as tier 2. The repetitiveness of the comment is more bothersome than the sentiment.

by ti-amie
ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:10 pm
JTContinental wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:08 pm Whoever is commentating on the Tiafoe/Shang match (Is it Vera Zvonareva?) has a vast knowledge of men's tennis.
I've been wondering who she is! I thought he called her "Olga" but I'm probably wrong.
Well it's not "Olga". Andrea Petkovic worked with Mark Petchey and Lucie Ahl worked with Kevin Skinner. Ahl was on the world feed.

by JTContinental I thought I heard him say "Vera" earlier, but I just heard it was "Andrea," so maybe Petkovic?

by JTContinental Every time Coco is serving, you can see a fan behind her intensely devouring a giant hamburger or something.

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:53 pm Every time Coco is serving, you can see a fan behind her intensely devouring a giant hamburger or something.

by JTContinental It looks like Coco kicked Belinda's butt in the first set, but it was high quality even though it was lopsided. Most of the games went to deuce, and Coco just won all of them. Bencic has yet to hold serve.

That might have been the best set of tennis Gauff has ever played.

by jazzyg Yes, it was Andrea Petkovic. I was watching when she came on air with the play-by-play announcer, replacing the duo calling the earlier matches.

by nelslus LOL, never mind with what I had posted here. Not worth the effort.

by nelslus Meanwhile- that was a strange match from Bencic. And, I certainly hope Coco can keep moving forward.

by nelslus I really enjoy Petkovic's commentary- albeit, she, at times, over-talks a bit. But, she is doing an excellent job.

by ashkor87 Meanwhile, talking about the good players, Samsonova continues to roll..smooth high powered Rolls

by ashkor87 I can't hear or watch but Petkovic is really very good, deep knowledge of tennis ..and life

by ashkor87 Very impressed with Coco's win over Bencic.. her footwork was very good.. and she has just too much firepower for Bencic.. Samsonova next.. would be very interesting.. Samsonova's power is awesome to but Coco has the defense to hold it off. Not that defense is all Coco has. Certainly a good match-up..
Interestingly, Coco is 2-0 against Samsonova..I don't even remember when they have met..

by ashkor87 As for Sakkari, I gave up on trying to figure her out long ago...

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:07 am As for Sakkari, I gave up on trying to figure her out long ago...
This. She has had a few lousy months (I give her a pass on the Muchova RG match, as it was later obvious that Muchova was playing excellent tennis), and now she simply has creamed her opponents here.
I will settle at: her ceiling is very high. But her floor is also very low.

by ti-amie Sakkari is playing well right now against Pegula, up 5-3 in the first set. She needs this win more than Pegula I think.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie So the women get the heat of the day...

by ti-amie Petko snark about not being able to see a players eyes because of her cap/visor.

by ti-amie Pegula has come back from 1-4 down in the second set to level it at 4 all.

by ti-amie Pegula wins five games in a row from a mentally reeling Sakkari to take the second set 6-4.

by ti-amie

by JTContinental Strong serving from Gauff gives her the first set 6-3, plus some help from Samsonova who was hitting every ball 5 feet long like it's her job.

Coco is 2-0 in their H2H, but both were competitive 3 setters

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:06 am Very impressed with Coco's win over Bencic.. her footwork was very good.. and she has just too much firepower for Bencic.. Samsonova next.. would be very interesting.. Samsonova's power is awesome to but Coco has the defense to hold it off. Not that defense is all Coco has. Certainly a good match-up..
Interestingly, Coco is 2-0 against Samsonova..I don't even remember when they have met..

I looked up their h2h before the match, and it’s been a few years since they’ve played

by ti-amie There have been technical difficulties all week with the stream out of DC. Right now the screen is blinking on and off making it impossible to follow the match.

by JTContinental
ti-amie wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:42 pm There have been technical difficulties all week with the stream out of DC. Right now the screen is blinking on and off making it impossible to follow the match.
Lots of short points and Samsonova is wild, hitting screaming winners and even screamier losers

by JTContinental The youngest of our thousands of dogs just growled continuously at Maria Sakkari's Tennis Channel mug shot until they took it offscreen.

by ti-amie The Cori Gauff I saw today is a different player from the one I saw in the past. She's no longer in a rush to finish a point. If she misses she doesn't fall apart mentally, regroups, and plays on. Brad Gilbert and Pere Riba gave her two standing ovations. Their pupil is listening.

by JTContinental She's one of the few people I've ever seen take new coaching immediately to the court and stick to it with such discipline. Her offensive shots in particular have improved. She also had 8 aces and 0 DFs.

by ti-amie I don't like the use of the "riling up" here. It has a negative connotation and is usually used in the context of instigating a riot of some kind.

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:26 pm The youngest of our thousands of dogs just growled continuously at Maria Sakkari's Tennis Channel mug shot until they took it offscreen.

by ashkor87
JTContinental wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:35 pm She's one of the few people I've ever seen take new coaching immediately to the court and stick to it with such discipline. Her offensive shots in particular have improved. She also had 8 aces and 0 DFs.
Let us hope she has a rebirth! An aggressive Coco with corrected footwork would be unbeatable!!
Sometimes a single tournament can relaunch your career..Sloane at this very tournament a few years ago...

by ashkor87 Speaking of poor closers, the worst is surely Sakkari...nearly gave it away against Pegula too..I don't see much evidence that JPeg is a poor closer..Sakkari has done it so often I cant even keep count..

by ashkor87 Sakkari or Gauff, would be a first time win at this level for either of them.. good motivation I am sure

by ashkor87 bad loss for Fritz though.. saw Griekspoor here at Pune, was not impressed .. maybe he' s better than I think.

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:58 am bad loss for Fritz though.. saw Griekspoor here at Pune, was not impressed .. maybe he' s better than I think.
No, I think you've assessed him correctly, but he can serve well, and play consistently enough to get some good wins.

by ti-amie Sunday, August 06, 2023 Day 9

/ Doubles Final

F
(WC) Mackenzie McDonald/Ben Shelton VS Maximo Gonzalez/Andres Molteni
Not Before 2:30 Pm
(4) Maria Sakkari VS (3) Coco Gauff
Not Before 5:00 Pm / Singles Final
F
(12) Tallon Griekspoor VS (9) Daniel Evans

by ponchi101 Once you take out Alcaraz and Djokovic, and Swiatek, Aryna and Elena, both tours are so even that these finals will happen.
And in the WTA, I don't even think the top three are such a cinch either.

by JTContinental
skatingfan wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:11 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:58 am bad loss for Fritz though.. saw Griekspoor here at Pune, was not impressed .. maybe he' s better than I think.
No, I think you've assessed him correctly, but he can serve well, and play consistently enough to get some good wins.
Plus Fritz has played a lot of tennis the past two weeks

by ti-amie Gauff played a domineering first set vs Sakkari and got through some rough patches in the second set to win 6-2, 6-3. She didn't have a cakewalk although some will say that defeating Baptiste was a given.

The first hugs went to Pere Riba and Brad Gilbert, deservedly so.

R2: d. Baptiste 6-1, 6-4
QF: d. Bencic 6-1, 6-2
SF: d. Samsonova 6-3, 6-3
F: d. Sakkari 6-2, 6-3

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm Gauff played a domineering first set vs Sakkari and got through some rough patches in the second set to win 6-2, 6-3. She didn't have a cakewalk although some will say that defeating Baptiste was a given.

The first hugs went to Pere Riba and Brad Gilbert, deservedly so.

R2: d. Baptiste 6-1, 6-4
QF: d. Bencic 6-1, 6-2
SF: d. Samsonova 6-3, 6-3
F: d. Sakkari 6-2, 6-3
Indeed, a solid win. But not only that: the scores were convincing.
I am trading her out of my HRtNY team; I will not be surprised if that decision comes back to kick me.

by ashkor87 Of these, I was most impressed by her win over Bencic, she hung in and fought for every point, I hear from others on this forum (i didnt get to see anything).. saw the highlights of her win over Sakkari.. I dont think her forehand problem is fully corrected, she did hit some short into the court, but her aggression helps..she used to be too passive, relying too much on her defense.. like Sloane..

by ponchi101 Because of the rain delay in the men's final, they did show some portions of the Gauff-Sakkari.
I saw that she was more than happy to go on long FH to FH rallies; she was not flinching or seemingly affected by Sakkari's ball. So, I don't know if Pera/Gilbert have fixed the issue, but I cannot say that the FH was a factor yesterday.
Anyway, with that score, NOTHING was a factor yesterday (for her).

by ti-amie Dan Evans was paid $353,445 for his win here.

Cori Gauff was paid $120,150.

by mmmm8 I went to the tournament Friday evening and Sunday (had to leave for my flight when the rain delay began as it looks like they won't finish till very late).

Saw Gauff beat both Bencic and Sakkari - she was impressive indeed, consistent and persistent. I saw Sakkari beat Keys very convincingly too, Sakkari just can't seem to shake off the self-pressure in bigger moments.

Saw Evans twice as well. Very lithe and had more finesse than I remembered.

Side note: there were 3 medical emergencies in the stands during these two of Coco's matches (not sure the cause of the first one on Friday and 2 heat strokes on Sunday). Each time, Gauff noticed it before most and had to point these out to the umpire. In her on-court interview on Friday she encouraged people to take a CPR class (as she had). It was very sweet. I also wonder if it speaks to her great awareness about the environment around her or is a sign of being easily distracted.

by JTContinental She also encouraged them to drink more water :D

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:44 am Dan Evans was paid $353,445 for his win here.

Cori Gauff was paid $120,150.
I bet this will be fixed in a few years.