Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by dryrunguy »

I finally got my booster this morning (Moderna). Let's just say that didn't go as well as my first dose (J&J). I'm still not quite "right". But I'm better than I was during most of the drive home. It was a little scary because what I was feeling felt a lot like what I THINK myocarditis would feel like. Not that I really know what that would feel like.

I figured my brain was playing tricks on me, but I'm 99% sure that wasn't the case. Especially since I'm still not quite right. Hopefully I will feel better in the morning.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:59 am I finally got my booster this morning (Moderna). Let's just say that didn't go as well as my first dose (J&J). I'm still not quite "right". But I'm better than I was during most of the drive home. It was a little scary because what I was feeling felt a lot like what I THINK myocarditis would feel like. Not that I really know what that would feel like.

I figured my brain was playing tricks on me, but I'm 99% sure that wasn't the case. Especially since I'm still not quite right. Hopefully I will feel better in the morning.
Definitely might take a day or two til you feel like yourself. Some feel better the next day, but many had symptoms for 48-72 hours too.

FYI, and this goes for everyone, if you're willing to share the symptoms you have, it's helpful to report it to the CDC thru their V-Safe program. After registering, they'll text you a reminder each day and you'll report any symptoms you have. Takes a minute each day.

https://vsafe.cdc.gov/en/
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

My aunt is off continuous flow oxygen this week for the first time since her hospitalization in early September. Still needs to use it at night. I didn't even mention it here, but she was re-hospitalized for several days a few weeks after her initial discharge. She's now going to be seeing a pulmonologist and cardiologist regularly for the foreseeable future to monitor recovery issues and lasting damage it's done.

So go get the vaccine, get your booster, wear a mask, get tested if you're going to be around a larger group or if you've just finished attending a larger gathering. Be as responsible as you can be during the holidays while still trying to enjoy them with your friends and family. And don't assume anyone's vaccination status, ask it. You don't want covid, especially a severe case.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

With COVID-19 numbers rising significantly in North America over the past few weeks, and many pro sports games being postponed because too many players on the teams have contracted the virus, extreme measures are returning...

No Fans Allowed at Montreal Canadiens Game

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

When I got my booster I thought "hey this is better than my first or second shot". About four hours later I was looking at something tennis related and not one thing on the printed page looked like an alphabet I am familiar with. I shut down my computer, took two arthritis strength acetaminophen, and went to bed. It took a day or two for my brain to come out of the fog.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is not good.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Indeed, it was simply a matter of time before the term 'fully vaccinated' was re-defined to include the third shot.
We should expect this re-definition to spread. At least, I hope it does.
And this will very likely not be the last re-definition of 'fully vaccinated'.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Adding to Dry and Ti's comments. I also got a reaction from my booster, spending the night with a mild fever. I got nothing from my 1st and 2nd shots.
Nothing to deter me from recommending getting your booster, or that will stop me from getting my fourth when the time comes.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

This morning's NY Times e-newsletter included the following language. I cannot read the links substantiating them because they are behind paywalls.

::

2. Most of the world’s vaccines provide almost no defense against infection from Omicron, studies show.

All vaccines still seem to provide a significant degree of protection against serious illness from Omicron, which is the most crucial goal. But only the Pfizer and Moderna shots, when reinforced with a booster, appear to have success at stopping infections, and these vaccines are unavailable in most of the world. (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/heal ... f11dfcd63a)

The other shots — including AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and vaccines made in China and Russia — do little to nothing to stop the spread of Omicron, early research shows. The gap could have a profound impact on the course of the pandemic. (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/19/heal ... f11dfcd63a)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I said it above. 2022, deja vu of 2020.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This thing will be with us a very long time.

dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I see #COVIDIOTS is trending on Twitter... Right above #FJBiden. :roll:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:30 pm This thing will be with us a very long time.

I don't want OMICRON. I want OMYGODCRON, a variant that will kill the unvaccinated through a violent stack of sneezing and coughing, in public, on the street.
"I am asymptomatic".
True question. Can this virus also be the calamity it is because over the last 50 years the teaching of science, all over the world, has been declining and people really do not understand the basic tenets of what is being talked about?
(I am not sure if the teaching of science has been declining all over the world. I am only trying to find an explanation for people like above).
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Things in NY are getting pretty bad again in terms of infections, as per a post above. Almost everyone I know has been informed about a close contact with someone who's tested positive for COVID, including myself (I've done two rapid tests that were negative and am waiting for PCR results). The lines at testing sites are crazy again. And my company just sent an email requesting we work from home.

A potential silver lining for Omicron from my cousin, who is a pulmonologist is that she is glad that this is the strain that's so infectious because it seems to be milder than the previous Greek letter versions and if we all get this one, at least it might help eliminate the more dangerous ones and help mutate the virus into something more manageable.