SUI B. BENCIC 14 vs CHN Q. WANG
GER T. KORPATSCH vs GBR H. WATSON
AUS M. INGLIS Q vs HUN D. GALFI
SLO K. JUVAN vs BRA B. HADDAD MAIA 23

UKR A. KALININA 29 vs HUN A. BONDAR
GBR J. BURRAGE WC vs UKR L. TSURENKO
GER J. NIEMEIER vs CHN X. WANG
USA B. PERA vs EST A. KONTAVEIT 2

by ashkor87 Don't see any real upset here..unless Kontaveit is still unwell..Yes, Van U can beat Raducanu but if Raducanu is as good as I think she is, it won't happen..

by meganfernandez Indy's Emina Betkas qualified and got... Andreescu. Yikes. At least she might get to play on a show court.

Serena, Coco and Anisimova are all in the same R4 section. Serena got a fairly good draw in the early rounds, except Boulter played well in the tune-ups.

Beatriz Haddad Maia got a great draw, especially if Bencic's ankle isn't 100% yet.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:38 pm Beatriz Haddad Maia got a great draw, especially if Bencic's ankle isn't 100% yet.
But if it is Bencic is a strong grass player.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:45 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:38 pm Beatriz Haddad Maia got a great draw, especially if Bencic's ankle isn't 100% yet.
But if it is Bencic is a strong grass player.
she is... so it wouldn't count as an early flame-out for BHM. :) But it probably means Bencic hasn't been practicing. She might not make it to R3. We'll see.

by ponchi101 I am sorry to point out that for the last three weeks, Beatriz has shown she is not too bad on grass. And she has more grass court tournament titles than Belinda (2-1).
Uhm....

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:I am sorry to point out that for the last three weeks, Beatriz has shown she is not too bad on grass. And she has more grass court tournament titles than Belinda (2-1).
Uhm....
Don’t bother. I tried reason already. :) the better she plays on grass, the more susceptible she is to an upset. Keep up, Ponchi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101 One thing for sure. Not picking from that match for the first round.

by jazzyg I will take the field since Kerber, Halep, Andreescu and Ostapenko are not on the list.

I favor Jabeur, but collectively those four have a better chance than she does.

by ponchi101 The only reason there are ten picks in the list of choices is because that is the poll limit.
And yes, I will take OTHER too, maybe. Because this is as wide open as it can be. Wertheim is picking Swiatek because she is #1, but running that streak, on grass, with no prep tournaments, is a call for an upset.

by Deuce Given the recent form of both Raducanu and her first round opponent Van Uytvanck, along with Raducanu's difficulty in actually completing matches, I give Emma a 10% chance - at most - of getting to the second round.

Oh... and there's this, too...
Fresh Injury Fears for Raducanu...

It sounds incredible to say, but thus far (since the U.S. Open), Emma's star has faded even more quickly than Genie's did.

by patrick
Deuce wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 am Given the recent form of both Raducanu and her first round opponent Van Uytvanck, along with Raducanu's difficulty in actually completing matches, I give Emma a 10% chance - at most - of getting to the second round.

It sounds incredible to say, but thus far (since the U.S. Open), Emma's star has faded even more quickly than Genie's did.
I would not say that yet. Let's wait until next year at this time then judge as Raducanu is still getting the endorsements.

by meganfernandez
patrick wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:51 pm
Deuce wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 am Given the recent form of both Raducanu and her first round opponent Van Uytvanck, along with Raducanu's difficulty in actually completing matches, I give Emma a 10% chance - at most - of getting to the second round.

I would not say that yet. Let's wait until next year at this time then judge as Raducanu is still getting the endorsements.
Not judging is an option, too. :)

by ponchi101 She lives in the UK, so she will get the endorsements regardless. Young, pretty and in a great market for those things. One only need to look at Konta and how well signed she was, despite never even coming close to a Slam final.
And, she did win a big one. Let her reap the benefits.
(I also hope she wins more, and can come back to Slam winning level).

by Suliso Did we already report that Madison Keys has withdrawn? Shuai Zhang will be #33 seed and Coco Vandeweghe the lucky loser.

by dryrunguy
Suliso wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:25 pm Did we already report that Madison Keys has withdrawn? Shuai Zhang will be #33 seed and Coco Vandeweghe the lucky loser.
Oh for pete's sake... :roll: :roll: :roll:

by JTContinental
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 pm Don't see any real upset here..unless Kontaveit is still unwell..Yes, Van U can beat Raducanu but if Raducanu is as good as I think she is, it won't happen..
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01 pm I will take the field since Kerber, Halep, Andreescu and Ostapenko are not on the list.

I favor Jabeur, but collectively those four have a better chance than she does.
Andreescu makes one final and suddenly she is good again?

I would be shocked if any of those players won Wimbledon given their current form, except Jabeur (who might be injured).

by jazzyg Halep is terminally underrated on grass. Check her record over the past several years. She just reached back-to-back semis in the past two weeks and lost only once.

Ostapenko is a long shot for sure but has reached the Wimbledon semis and quarters, won a lead-up event last year and reached the final of the same tourney this year.

Andreescu you might be right on. We'll see.

And quite frankly, if you'd be shocked by Kerber winning, you haven't been paying attention. I can see your point on the other three even if I disagree, but Kerber almost won Wimbledon LAST YEAR.

The players on the poll are there because of their ranking (with Serena getting the mention because of her history), but Kontaveit, Badosa (although suliso disagrees there), Collins and Pegula are the ones I'd be shocked about if they went deep. Other than Swiatek and Jabeur, I don't see a contender on the list, and I feel reasonably comfortable taking the field over Swiatek and Jabeur.

by ponchi101 I went by the rankings because I can't see any clear favorite, and Serena is there because of history, as you say.
I say Swiatek is the favorite, because somebody has to be, and she is #1. But I am talking here a favorite around the 20% mark. And if somebody says even lower, I would not say anything.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 pm Andreescu makes one final and suddenly she is good again?
She has been building since last year. The R4 vs Sakkari at the US Open was fantastic. Then she started stringing together some wins, then a few more, gaining confidence, staying healthy... so it's possible she's rounding into form on a surface she likes. Tough loss today, after leading a set and a break. Garcia played really well, though. Maybe she is resurgent, too.

by ti-amie I'm going to go with what my daughter says and see who is left standing in the second week.

by Deuce

^ I said to this point, Emma's star has faded faster than Genie's - meaning that, comparing Genie's Wimbledon Final (2014) with Emma's U.S. Open win, Genie didn't fall as far or as fast as Emma in the 9 months which followed those events.
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Not judging is an option, too. :)
^ Actually, 'not judging' is only an option for inanimate objects.
I am all too aware that the plague of 'political correctness' says that 'judging' is the worst crime in the world, and that anyone who judges should be immediately condemned (which, of course, is a judgement in itself, such hypocrisy being the main ingredient of 'political correctness'...).

The fact is that judging and assessing things (including people) is absolute human nature. It is a large part of our survival instinct. It is how we differentiate between our friends and our enemies; it is how we choose our clothing; it is how we choose our favourite cereal; and it is the foundation behind all of our opinions. It is all based on our judgements.
Every human being makes dozens of judgements each and every day. It would be impossible to live without judgements. Without judgements, we would have no opinion on anything. I know that's what the 'political correctness' movement wants - they want no-one to have an opinion of their own, they just want people to 'think' what the P.C. movement tells them to 'think' - but that's not possible, as we are all inherently wired to judge and assess virtually everything.

As but one example... one cannot possibly help another person unless one first judges that the person requires help!
Anyone reading posts on this discussion/message board will find dozens upon dozens of judgements every day - because judging is human nature. Predicting who will win Wimbledon is a judgement. Every perspective and opinion requires a judgement.
So those who claim that they 'don't judge' are stating something that is extremely inaccurate.
And we all judge other people and their behaviour, as well. Otherwise, we are indifferent - we have no opinion at all of them. Because every opinion first requires a judgement.
So people shouldn't be so quick to claim that they are 'non-judgemental' - because absolutely no human being on Earth is 'non-judgemental'.

The important thing is not to 'pre-judge' - that is where the ugly word 'prejudice' comes from. We should ensure that our judgements are made based on as many relevant facts as possible, and not on irrelevant things like skin colour, or shoe size, etc.

by Deuce Regarding Andreescu...
She did well to get to the Bad Homburg Final - though she obviously got some lucky breaks to get to the Final...

But if she can't win a match when she's up a set and a break and 2 games from winning the title against a player ranked outside of the top 50 - and Andreescu lost 16 of the next 17 points after she got the break in the 2nd set... well, this shows that, while she is at least playing, she is definitely not in championship form.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am going in the other column in the options above and the other is with Coco Gauff. I do not think she will have an easy road of it either. I think she will have to get past Serena and Swiatek to win this whole thing. I really think it is her time to shine. If she can stay focused she definitely has the ground strokes to get the job done.

by Deuce Interesting to see Kanepi seeded for the first time in a while, I believe.
Also nice to see Kalinina seeded.
And good to see Canada’s Rebecca Marino get into the main draw on her ranking...

Halep - Muchova 1st round is very intriguing.
As I said previously, there’s a big possibility that Raducanu loses to Van Uytvanck in the 1st round...
It would not surprise me one bit if Bouzkova beats Collins in the 1st round, either...
Haddad Maia could be in tough vs. Juvan...
Zheng should take care of Stephens - but if Sloane decides she’s motivated for this tournament, it could be a very entertaining match.

I’m running out of time to hope that everyone withdraws before the tournament begins! :o :lol:

by ashkor87 What is the last time this player 'other' won a major?!

by nelslus
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am What is the last time this player 'other' won a major?!
Raducanu, 2021 US Open. Didn't exactly have to go that far back. :)

There are just a lot of options this year. And not all of us are ready to take the Latest-Sure-Bet-Swiatek-at-Wimbledon Kool Aid quite yet.

by patrick How about Wimbledon?

by ponchi101
patrick wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:42 am How about Wimbledon?
I gather Bartoli, 2013. She perhaps would have not been included in a poll.
Remember, I have to put OTHER in the polls because the system only allows for ten options. And in 2021, Raducanu was obviously an OTHER, and so was Krejcikova at RG. OTHER has been very successful these last few years (Kenin and Swiatek in 2020).

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 am What is the last time this player 'other' won a major?!
Raducanu, 2021 US Open. Didn't exactly have to go that far back. :)

There are just a lot of options this year. And not all of us are ready to take the Latest-Sure-Bet-Swiatek-at-Wimbledon Kool Aid quite yet.
I didn't go with Other brecause I think it will be one of the people listed. Just not sure which. And "any of those but not Other" wasn't an option. So went with Jabeur.

Regarding when Other won - Iga at the French. Maybe Barty at the French - she was seeded #8. Andreescu, Osaka and Sloane might not have made the poll in their years. Andreescu was coming off the Toronto win and a big year, but it was her first US Open main draw.

by Suliso There are still 7 GS champions left in the draw (Iga, Petra, Bianca, Alona, Simona, Barbora and Angelique). Besides those I'd highlight Jabeur, Badosa and Gauff as reasonably likely winners. Anybody else would be a big surprise for me.

by ashkor87 Time to project the semis, now that we know the draw and have some early performance data..
Swiatek - Halep
Kerber- Ostapenko
Is my projection..
Comments?

by Suliso I don't think Kerber will make that far. She's not as good as she used to be. Maybe Jabeur in her place. Also I still expect Swiatek to lose before SF's.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:I don't think Kerber will make that far. She's not as good as she used to be. Maybe Jabeur in her place. Also I still expect Swiatek to lose before SF's.
Boy, just looking right past Harmony Tan, aren’t we? :)

Iga - Halep
Jabeur - Surprise (Juvan? Neimeier?)

That bottom section is so wide open. Sakkari is the favorite. It would actually be great if it ended up being those three and Sakkari - the top players all coming through for once.

Garcia, Kerber, Kvitova, and Pliskova are also in the mix. Yeah Ostapenko but she can go off the rails faster than the others.

by ponchi101 I will look into it, but it seems Badosa is feeling good on court. And I took her off my GA team, so the albatross is no longer wrapped around her neck.

by Cuckoo4Coco Gauff vs. Swiatek
Ostepenko vs. Jabeur

by ashkor87 Tan already pulled out of doubs so ...
And I can't imagine Coco beating Halep here

by ashkor87 Ostapenko is simply a higher class player than Sakkari, which is why I named her..

by ponchi101 Take away Alona's RG title, and that statement has to be re-evaluated. It is sort of the equivalent to say that Albert Costa (one RG) was a better player than Tim Henman (no slams, but a better ranked player most of his career).

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:17 pm Tan already pulled out of doubs so ...
Tan is cruising today, though!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:04 pm
The thigh injury doesn't seem to be bothering her much today. ;)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:02 pm Take away Alona's RG title, and that statement has to be re-evaluated. It is sort of the equivalent to say that Albert Costa (one RG) was a better player than Tim Henman (no slams, but a better ranked player most of his career).
That is not the only tournament she has won..and she reached the semis here once..what has Sakkari done by comparison?

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 pm
Nope. She really should buy Korpatsch something nice.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:20 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:02 pm Take away Alona's RG title, and that statement has to be re-evaluated. It is sort of the equivalent to say that Albert Costa (one RG) was a better player than Tim Henman (no slams, but a better ranked player most of his career).
That is not the only tournament she has won..and she reached the semis here once..what has Sakkari done by comparison?
Semis at RG last year, semis at the USO, career high #3. It is not as if Alona clearly leaves her in the dust. Again, if you take out that RG title, they are comparable players.

by Suliso Not so comparable if you compare solely their A+ games. That's what ashkor is probably doing, right? :)

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:20 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 pm

Nope. She really should buy Korpatsch something nice.
She really should. I know Harmony probably did not expect to be advancing this far in the Singles but when you commit to something at least the way I go about it I go through with it.

by ashkor87 Also don't forget Dubai..she beat swiatek in the way...

by patrick Tan is having the week(tournament) of her tennis life.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:48 pm Also don't forget Dubai..she beat swiatek in the way...
Last player to beat her, indeed. Where I would give Maria the edge is in the variation of the game. Sure, Alona can blow people off the court. Or blow herself off the court, spraying balls that have the ball-kids running for cover. When that Alona shows up, it is messy. Sakkari is much more regular, nowadays.

by ashkor87 Regular is good for rankings, not for winning Wimbledon!

by Suliso What makes you think Ostapenko will be able to play her A game regularly this time? Most of the time she can't...

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco played what to me seemed the best well played match on the ladies side that I have watched in this tournament. Her serve was really on in this match. If she can keep this sort of play going she will give a hard time to any opponent (Even Iga).

by ti-amie I'm going to try and catch a replay of Cori's match.

by ashkor87 Coco reminds me a lot of Wozniacki...great athlete, good serve, world-class backhand- all undone by a technical flaw in her forehand..went without a proper coach most of her career..

.Woz never won Wimbledon.

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 am Coco reminds me a lot of Wozniacki...great athlete, good serve, world-class backhand- all undone by a technical flaw in her forehand..went without a proper coach most of her career..

I agree about Cori. If the flaw isn't corrected soon it never will be and will remain the point of attack for other players.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 am Coco reminds me a lot of Wozniacki...great athlete, good serve, world-class backhand- all undone by a technical flaw in her forehand..went without a proper coach most of her career..

You and I are not seeing players in the same way ;)
Woz was a great athlete. I will grant you that. But her serve pales in comparison to what Coco can do (Cori is serving at 120 MPH with consistency, unthinkable about Caro) and their BH's are very, very different. Coco can generate power, Woz had so much difficulties generating power that she must be one of the few players that left a racquet brand (Babolat), famous for power racquets, went to a a control brand (Yonex) and returned to the original brand because she simply could not come close to her minimal power with the second frames.
And it is not that Woz never won Wimbledon. Her record outside hard courts is iffy at best.

Coco's forehand. Sure, I think there is an issue there. But I think it is grips, not technical flaws (biomechanics). Let's see what she does against Amanda, barely her senior, and who also has very long windups. And also generates a lot of power, when she clocks the ball.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:34 am

Woz was a great athlete. I will grant you that. But her serve pales in comparison to what Coco can do (Cori is serving at 120 MPH with consistency, unthinkable about Caro) and their BH's are very, very different. Coco can generate power, Woz had so much difficulties generating power that she must be one of the few players that left a racquet brand (Babolat), famous for power racquets, went to a a control brand (Yonex) and returned to the original brand because she simply could not come close to her minimal power with the second frames.
And it is not that Woz never won Wimbledon. Her record outside hard courts is iffy at best.

Coco's forehand. Sure, I think there is an issue there. But I think it is grips, not technical flaws (biomechanics). Let's see what she does against Amanda, barely her senior, and who also has very long windups. And also generates a lot of power, when she clocks the ball.
I agree with you that Coco generates power that is at the top level of the ladies game. They even mentioned the forehand today in her match and her unconventional grip that she uses that causes some erratic shots at times.

The Coco and Amanda match I am really psyched for because well ya know I love Coco but I also really like Amanda and her game too. It is going to be an awesome match.

by ashkor87 I don't expect Anisimova to trouble Coco on grass..much as I love her..

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:34 am

Analogies are never perfect..it is just that there are some points of resemblance. I really want Coco to do well, not that Woz didn't, but she needs to get a real coach who can fix her forehand..though it is possible it is too late now to make technical changes.

by ashkor87 I do think Coco has the same problem on her forehand that Wozniacki had, she lets the ball get too close to her, then she can't get her body weight behind it..grip , too, I agree

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:49 am ...
Analogies are never perfect..it is just that there are some points of resemblance. I really want Coco to do well, not that Woz didn't, but she needs to get a real coach who can fix her forehand..though it is possible it is too late now to make technical changes.
She has Moratogliuo, whom I recently wondered why he was so sought so much, but who obviously has a very good reputation amongst players. He coached/coaches Serena, is working with Halep, has the academy. He should know how to fix that problem, or at the very least, identify it.

by Cuckoo4Coco Ostapenko rolled after dropping the 1st set . I will have to watch the highlights of this match to see how she changed things up .

by jazzyg I didn't see it, but the stats show she double faulted five times in the first set and only twice the rest of the match.

by Cuckoo4Coco
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:51 pm I didn't see it, but the stats show she double faulted five times in the first set and only twice the rest of the match.
That would make a difference for sure.

by Suliso With the currently available info my SF pairs are:

Badosa vs Zheng
Jabeur vs Ostapenko

by ponchi101 I think Kvitova will take down Badosa.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:14 pm With the currently available info my SF pairs are:

Badosa vs Zheng
Jabeur vs Ostapenko
I do think it is Jabeur vs. Ostapenko, but I think it is Gauff vs. Pegula in the other SF.

by Fastbackss So much for Kerber. Sigh

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:51 pm I didn't see it, but the stats show she double faulted five times in the first set and only twice the rest of the match.
saw the entire match - Ostapenko plays the exact same way no matter what the score - in the second and third set, she started making her shots, that is all.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 am I don't think Kerber will make that far. She's not as good as she used to be. Maybe Jabeur in her place. Also I still expect Swiatek to lose before SF's.
well, you were right about Kerber, I certainly didnt think Mertens could beat her..

by ponchi101 Mertens looked so out in the first set against Osorio, and now she is in R4. Hard to envision, on Monday.

by ashkor87 I am not surprised Sakkari lost, of course... she just isnt as good as some people think she is, and certainly not as good as her ranking says.. I dont expect Anisimova to trouble Coco on this court, she is clearly not quick enough to do well on grass..

very pleased with Rybakina, though, I want her to win something one day.. though not happy Andreescu lost to her. Rybakina has real 'class' - she seems to have so much time for her shots, hits them so easily... it is the sign of great timing and coordination..

by jazzyg
jazzyg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 pm

And quite frankly, if you'd be shocked by Kerber winning, you haven't been paying attention.
Said the person who's never won an WTA suicide pool to the person who runs them all, brilliantly.

by Fastbackss
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:54 pm I am not surprised Sakkari lost, of course... she just isnt as good as some people think she is, and certainly not as good as her ranking says.. I dont expect Anisimova to trouble Coco on this court, she is clearly not quick enough to do well on grass..
Not that it fully matters , but I read that Sakkari was battling injury

by Suliso Only three seeds (Jabeur, Ostapenko and Mertens) left in the bottom half.

by Cuckoo4Coco Jabeur vs. Ostapenko is the way I went in one SF and Jabeur is looking great in her matches.

by jazzyg I had the same semifinal, with Jabeur winning the tournament.

by Suliso You guys are certainly not alone. At least not if you made that prediction no earlier than 2 days ago. Top half still hard to predict...

by Cuckoo4Coco I had that SF from the beginning and Gauff vs Pegula in the other. Gauff over Ostapenko in the Final. The way Jabeur is playing now though I think she might beat Ostapenko and I hope not Gauff.

by ashkor87 Very impressive run by Bouzkova..must watch her closely ..haven't really seen her play ..

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:33 am Very impressive run by Bouzkova..must watch her closely ..haven't really seen her play ..
I think she has a great shot in her next match , but the match after that against either Jabeur or Mertens I think that is where it will end for her.

by ashkor87
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:42 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:33 am Very impressive run by Bouzkova..must watch her closely ..haven't really seen her play ..
I think she has a great shot in her next match , but the match after that against either Jabeur or Mertens I think that is where it will end for her.
Could be.but I really don't know anything about her..if we go entirely by how she has been playing thus far, no reason why she cannot beat those two either...

by ponchi101 Without looking it up: who did Jabeur lose to at RG? *
It is the WTA. Remember how even everybody is. If tomorrow Kvitova beats Badosa, and Anisimova beats Coco (just examples), it should be no surprise. The WTA is that even right now. So, it is not as if Jabeur is some out-worldly player.
► Show Spoiler

by ptmcmahon Well, since you hid the answer I can say I had to look it up and you were right :D

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:17 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:42 am
Could be.but I really don't know anything about her..if we go entirely by how she has been playing thus far, no reason why she cannot beat those two either...
Well possibly Mertens because who knows who will show up to play for that match, but Jabeur has been fantastic so far not dropping a single set and cruising to this point of the tournament.

by Deuce
I saw promising potential in Bouzkova almost 3 years ago, and have been waiting for her to 'break through' (begin her trek to the top 20) since then.
She's good.

by Suliso Maybe not everyone here knows that Tatjana Maria (34) has two daughters (9 and 1). She travels the world with them and her French husband Charles Edouard Maria who is also her coach. This is the first time she has reached the 2nd week at a Slam. Also she used her first maternity break to transition from a two-handed backhand to one-handed.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:27 am Maybe not everyone here knows that Tatjana Maria (34) has two daughters (9 and 1). She travels the world with them and her French husband Charles Edouard Maria who is also her coach. This is the first time she has reached the 2nd week at a Slam. Also she used her first maternity break to transition from a two-handed backhand to one-handed.
Have to wonder if she was carrying her daughter at the time and only had one free arm... :)
Impressive, to make that change late in a playing career. I saw the match yesterday and she has a very good slice, which she used a lot.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:43 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:27 am Maybe not everyone here knows that Tatjana Maria (34) has two daughters (9 and 1). She travels the world with them and her French husband Charles Edouard Maria who is also her coach. This is the first time she has reached the 2nd week at a Slam. Also she used her first maternity break to transition from a two-handed backhand to one-handed.
Have to wonder if she was carrying her daughter at the time and only had one free arm... :)
Impressive, to make that change late in a playing career. I saw the match yesterday and she has a very good slice, which she used a lot.
Can you imagine practicing while holding a baby? That would be some exhausting practice I bet. :lol:

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Without looking it up: who did Jabeur lose to at RG? *
It is the WTA. Remember how even everybody is. If tomorrow Kvitova beats Badosa, and Anisimova beats Coco (just examples), it should be no surprise. The WTA is that even right now. So, it is not as if Jabeur is some out-worldly player.
► Show Spoiler
Magda Linette of Poland, perhaps inspired by Swiatek? 6-4 in the third, I think. Wanna say Jabeur was up her the 4-5 service game in the third, got to deuce, she hit an overhead right back to Linette and lost the point, then lost 5 of the next 6 points and it was over.

True the top-ranked players aren’t huge favorites (except Swiatek) but Im with C4C here. Jabeur’s recent results, her obvious confidence, the game’s suitability for this surface, how she has built toward this - she is the strong favorite on the bottom half. It wouldn’t be a massive upset if someone beat her in the second week, because whoever gets there is playing well and Jabeur isnt a dominant No. 2, but I do think she has distanced herself from the pack on grass (other than Iga).

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Maybe not everyone here knows that Tatjana Maria (34) has two daughters (9 and 1). She travels the world with them and her French husband Charles Edouard Maria who is also her coach. This is the first time she has reached the 2nd week at a Slam. Also she used her first maternity break to transition from a two-handed backhand to one-handed.
Knew she was a mom. Didn’t know she transitioned to a one-handed backhand. Incredible.

by Cuckoo4Coco Speaking of being a mom on tour that must be really hard especially if the kid is really young. They must have a lot of help with a nanny or something like that.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:01 pm Speaking of being a mom on tour that must be really hard especially if the kid is really young. They must have a lot of help with a nanny or something like that.
Corrected it for you, with, of course, NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever to back up my claim. ;)

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:04 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:01 pm Speaking of being a mom on tour that must be really hard especially if the kid is really young. They must have a lot of help with a nanny or something like that.
Corrected it for you, with, of course, NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever to back up my claim. ;)
Reading my post I wrote that completely wrong.

I of course was speaking about Tatjana Maria and the other moms that are on the tour and how hard it must be for them and how they must have a nanny.

by Suliso I think in this particular case the nanny is called husband and granny. :)

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 pm

I of course was speaking about Tatjana Maria and the other moms that are on the tour and how hard it must be for them and how they must have a nanny.
No, your post was clear. I was just teasing you, and being a jerk. Get used to that (me being a jerk; it happens with worrisome frequency ;) )

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 pm

No, your post was clear. I was just teasing you, and being a jerk. Get used to that (me being a jerk; it happens with worrisome frequency ;) )
Nah not a jerk. Teasing yeah and i am used to that. I have two older brothers. ;)

by ashkor87 I thought cornet bragging about beating Serena was a bit uncalled for..Serena was unwell, had to be carried off the court by Venus the next day in a doubles match. I saw the whole thing, I was in the stands at Wimbledon.2014..

by ashkor87 updated prediction:

Semis Rybakina versus Halep, Bouzkova versus Ostapenko
Finals: Halep vs Ostapenko
winner: who knows?!

by Suliso Anisimova is the only player who has reached 4th round or better at all Slams this year.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:27 am Anisimova is the only player who has reached 4th round or better at all Slams this year.
true, but she hasnt impressed me on grass.. Coco was awful, she should have beaten Anisimova..

by ashkor87 finally got to see Bouzkova.. good player...

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 am I thought cornet bragging about beating Serena was a bit uncalled for..Serena was unwell, had to be carried off the court by Venus the next day in a doubles match. I saw the whole thing, I was in the stands at Wimbledon.2014..
She didn't brag about it. She said this victory reminded her of when she beat Serena, because it was on the same court, at the same stage, and Serena was also #1.
And Serena was not in such terrible state that she was not able to win the first set 6-1. So, for a player with limited credentials in her life, Alize's 4-3 record vs #1 players must be something to be proud of.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 am I thought cornet bragging about beating Serena was a bit uncalled for..Serena was unwell, had to be carried off the court by Venus the next day in a doubles match. I saw the whole thing, I was in the stands at Wimbledon.2014..
She didn't brag about it. She said this victory reminded her of when she beat Serena, because it was on the same court, at the same stage, and Serena was also #1.
And Serena was not in such terrible state that she was not able to win the first set 6-1. So, for a player with limited credentials in her life, Alize's 4-3 record vs #1 players must be something to be proud of.
I want to say the interviewer asked her about it, too.

by ashkor87 Ok if you say so but the media is talking about it too much, because they remember nothing. if the interviewer had remembered, she wouldnt have asked .. but, as I said, I was there and saw it with my own eyes. Serena was very sick the next day, cannot imagine she was well when she played Cornet.

by ponchi101 You are dropping into "you can't imagine" she was well. Serena never mentioned she was sick, and for athletes, a win is a win. Wawrinka never says "my Australian Open, which I won because Rafa was injured...". The win was there.
And, at that time, winning a match against Serena was an important win. Athletes can't go and qualify every match with "I won because my opponent was sick", or "I won because I was lucky" or something like that. For an athlete, s/he has to believe the match was played fairly, against a quality opponent.
And the media is reporting a big upset. They have the right to bring in some other tidbits.

by Cuckoo4Coco Tatjana Maria in 3 sets over Ostapenko.

by Suliso We were all wrong about almost everything...

by Cuckoo4Coco With all the upsets that are happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more come and we don't end up with a Cornet vs. Bouzkova final.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:31 pm We were all wrong about almost everything...
I will do as you did with your correct HaddadMaia prediction, and say that I picked Maria in Predictions. :D
If I am allowed a motorsport comparison: Alona's game is like an Alfa Romeo. Beautiful design, superb handling, superior power. And famously unreliable, and, when they break down, very hard to fix and super expensive (the analogy breaks down there). When Alona is firing in all cylinders, she is amazing, Then cylinders 1, 5 and 7 start misfiring and it is a mess.

by Suliso I'm still hoping for my big Badosa jackpot :P

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:36 pm With all the upsets that are happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more come and we don't end up with a Cornet vs. Bouzkova final.
I chose OTHER as the winner, and sincerely, if we get Maria Vs Rybakina, I will not be surprised.
I am committed in my predictions: Jabeur/Anisimova. And have zero confidence in that forecast.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:40 pm I'm still hoping for my big Badosa jackpot :P
Started with a big prediction (BHM) and may end with another big one.
And, you know this, it will do nothing for your reputation here at TAT2.0. We are that childish.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:36 pm With all the upsets that are happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more come and we don't end up with a Cornet vs. Bouzkova final.
I chose OTHER as the winner, and sincerely, if we get Maria Vs Rybakina, I will not be surprised.
I am committed in my predictions: Jabeur/Anisimova. And have zero confidence in that forecast.
I am gonna stick with Anisimova vs. Jabeur but really anything could happen at this point.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:15 pm You are dropping into "you can't imagine" she was well. Serena never mentioned she was sick, and for athletes, a win is a win. Wawrinka never says "my Australian Open, which I won because Rafa was injured...". The win was there.
And, at that time, winning a match against Serena was an important win. Athletes can't go and qualify every match with "I won because my opponent was sick", or "I won because I was lucky" or something like that. For an athlete, s/he has to believe the match was played fairly, against a quality opponent.
And the media is reporting a big upset. They have the right to bring in some other tidbits.
I was there. I saw it.

by Cuckoo4Coco As a tennis player no matter what level you play at when you step onto that court you expect to win that match and give all that you can give to win that match. You are expecting the same from your opponent as well. So no matter what you get from your opponent on that given day or however you play if you come off the court with the win, it is still a win. You might have played the best tennis of your life that day or you might still have to go back and work on things. Whatever your opponent gives you on that particular day is totally out of your control. You might play a top player that has an off day that day for some reason or a player that plays great and you slip by with the win. It doesn't really matter because you came out with the W and you move onto the next match.

by ponchi101 Ashkor. Yes, you said it (that you were there), and maybe indeed Serena was not playing at her 100%. Maybe a physical ailment, maybe an injury. My point is that Cornet cannot go around thinking "Oh, I only beat Serena because she was sick". That is not a conducive mentality for a professional athlete. Serena won the 1st, and Cornet won the next two, and she has to see it as a valid victory.
What would have been a proper response from a question like that? "Oh you know I only beat Serena because she was not feeling well". That would have been a very odd way to describe such a victory.
I am sure that Hurkacz does not think of his last year victory over Federer as "I only beat him because he was injured" (which, since Roger went under the knife and has not played since, seems a very reasonable thing to say). Hurkacz must be very proud of that victory, and rightly so.

by Cuckoo4Coco Looking up at the original poll there are only two ladies left(Badosa & Jabeur) in the poll and then there is the other column. There is still the possibility that the final could be Badosa vs. Jabeur , but the way things have played out that is highly unlikely.

by ponchi101 I will delete that poll after today and will update to one with players that have reached the QF.
And yes, even though there will be 8 players to pick from, I will still include OTHER in the poll. Simply because she is my favorite player.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:25 pm I will delete that poll after today and will update to one with players that have reached the QF.
And yes, even though there will be 8 players to pick from, I will still include OTHER in the poll. Simply because she is my favorite player.
I will choose other just for you. :lol:

by Suliso Stat of the day: none of the QF's at the bottom half have reached GS SF's before.

It is possible for the top half to be the same if Badosa def Halep and Tan def Anisimova.

by ponchi101 I say Badosa takes out Halep, Anisimova takes out Tan.

by JTContinental I'll take Halep and Anisimova

by Suliso I don't think it will happen either, but chances of a new GS champion are very high.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:25 pm I don't think it will happen either, but chances of a new GS champion are very high.
You yourself have said it. Halep is no longer the player she used to be. Chances are extremely high of a new champion; there is nobody else with as much as a final.

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:41 am finally got to see Bouzkova.. good player...
I always see Bouzkova when the Golden Swing hits Mexico. I have been waiting for her to translate her play there to translate to the rest of the season.

by ashkor87 But can Bouzkova beat Jabeur? Unlikely, methinks...she has great defense but that isn't what it takes to beat Jabeur...of course, she has a good serve too .that helps .

by ponchi101 Bouzkobva's path: Collins, Li, Riske, Garcia. Not a killer, but Collins was #7, Riske and Garcia are good grass court players. I say she will not get it done, but she has a chance. She is not a rookie (23) so this is not a case of a player suddenly bursting into view, and she is only ranked 66.
I say: 1/3 chance. But Ons my be the one feeling pressure now. She is the highest ranked player left, and now the favorite.

by Cuckoo4Coco Tomorrow's Ladies Matches are all tough match ups: Here is how I am predicting them all.

Cornet defeats Tomljanovic
Halep defeats Badosa
Rybakina defeats Martic
Anisimova defeats Tan

by ponchi101 Tomljamovic Def Cornet (two players I like)
Badosa Def Halep
Rybakina Def Martic
Anisimova Def Tan (3rd set TB, Amanda will surrender the second set when she serves for it, Harmony refuses to go away and hits 60+ perfect, ugly slapped-slice forehands that will force Amanda to bend so much she will scrape her knees).

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:06 am Tomljamovic Def Cornet (two players I like)
Badosa Def Halep
Rybakina Def Martic
Anisimova Def Tan (3rd set TB, Amanda will surrender the second set when she serves for it, Harmony refuses to go away and hits 60+ perfect, ugly slapped-slice forehands that will force Amanda to bend so much she will scrape her knees).
The main match for me is Anisimova winning. I honestly don't really care who wins the other matches. I just really want Amanda to win her match. :D

by ponchi101 I am rooting for her to win the whole thing. Bad news for her, seeing my record for faves.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:15 am I am rooting for her to win the whole thing. Bad news for her, seeing my record for faves.
I would love that.

I would also love seeing Nakashima or Fritz winning on the Men's side as well. I doubt that is going to happen, but it is possible that one of them makes the Final.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:02 am Tomorrow's Ladies Matches are all tough match ups: Here is how I am predicting them all.

Halep defeats Badosa
Rybakina defeats Martic
Anisimova defeats Tan
4/4 for me!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:02 am Tomorrow's Ladies Matches are all tough match ups: Here is how I am predicting them all.

Halep defeats Badosa
Rybakina defeats Martic
Anisimova defeats Tan
4/4 for me!
Good minds think alike. ;)

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:04 am

Halep defeats Badosa
Rybakina defeats Martic
Anisimova defeats Tan
4/4 for me!
I was relieved to see my picks match yours!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:10 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:04 am

4/4 for me!
I was relieved to see my picks match yours!
Those are both picks I really think can happen and really hope happen.

by ashkor87 About Halep, of course she is no longer as quick as she used to be but she is probably the best player remaining...but as she gets older, recovery from a hard match is more difficult..so she finds it difficult to win match after match against good players..actually, she was always like that .I remember,even when Penetta won the USO I was expecting Halep to win it ..she had beaten Vika, and had nothing left against Penetta and lost tamely.. she was much younger then so it will be much harder now..

by ponchi101 Unless she comes up with some strategy, at the moment every single stroke in Badosa's game is a bit better than Halep's. You said it, a bit of time has passed.
And she does not have Darren on her side, who was very good at tactics.
Mind you, at this stage, nobody is going to blow anybody else off the court. Just look at Martic/Rybakina. It has become a very close match. But when it will be said and done, I say Badosa has a bit more game right now than Simona.

by Cuckoo4Coco Looks like Rybakina is going to advance in straight sets.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:51 pm Unless she comes up with some strategy, at the moment every single stroke in Badosa's game is a bit better than Halep's. You said it, a bit of time has passed.
And she does not have Darren on her side, who was very good at tactics.
Mind you, at this stage, nobody is going to blow anybody else off the court. Just look at Martic/Rybakina. It has become a very close match. But when it will be said and done, I say Badosa has a bit more game right now than Simona.
Oh, I think she will beat Badosa today..defense..Halep's is much better..

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:30 pm ...

Oh, I think she will beat Badosa today..defense..Halep's is much better..
Ok, I will grant you that. Her defense is better. On the one surface that favors offense.
After your thought... Badosa, by a whisker.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am going with Halep in a tight 3 set match.

by jazzyg I have no idea who will win the Halep-Badosa match, but having warched almost all of Halep's matches this year I can say with certainty the idea she has slowed down noticeably is pure rubbish.

She definitely has her good days and bad days in terms of execution, but she is as good as she ever was on her best days. Badosa said Halep played one of the best matches she has ever seen in their meeting in Madrid.

For a player who relies on consistency, Halep is more up and down than anyone I have ever seen with her type of game. And that also was true when Cahill was coaching her.

by Cuckoo4Coco
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 pm I have no idea who will win the Halep-Badosa match, but having warched almost all of Halep's matches this year I can say with certainty the idea she has slowed down noticeably is pure rubbish.

She definitely has her good days and bad days in terms of execution, but she is as good as she ever was on her best days. Badosa said Halep played one of the best matches she has ever seen in their meeting in Madrid.

For a player who relies on consistency, Halep is more up and down than anyone I have ever seen with her type of game. And that also was true when Cahill was coaching her.
Other than Coco Gauff, I follow Simon Halep probably the most on the WTA tour and that is mostly because my game resembles hers the most out of any women's game on the tour I think. Of course my game is not to the level of hers, but it is of the same style of game. So I tend to watch her game a lot and I don't feel she has slowed much at all. She like any player has good days and bad days, but on her good days watch out. If she has a good day today against Badosa she could win in straight sets for sure.

by Suliso There must be some reason why she's not top 10 anymore and hasn't been to GS SF's since 2020 AO.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:01 pm There must be some reason why she's not top 10 anymore and hasn't been to GS SF's since 2020 AO.
The calf injury. She said it was pretty discouraging and she wasn't sure she could get her level back. She also had an abductor issue while recovering. She thought about stopping. But she has found another wind.

by jazzyg EDIT: strange double post from earlier while I was on my phone.

by jazzyg She did not play Wimbledon last year and was out for months. That is the sole reason she is not in the top 10.

She has the third most wins of any WTA player this year.

by Cuckoo4Coco Simona Halep sure doesn't look like she has lost a step or two in that first set against Badosa.

by ponchi101 Sorry. What was that? I could not hear you because I was eating some crow...

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:50 pm Sorry. What was that? I could not hear you because I was eating some crow...
I am not saying the match is over , but Badosa needs to adjust very quickly.

by ponchi101 But you picked Halep, I picked Badosa. Therefore the double decker crow sandwich I am contemplating right now :)

by Suliso Well, my pre tournament Badosa bet clearly didn't work out...

by Suliso What probably will work out is Cornet losing immediately after beating Swiatek. Typical for her...

by ponchi101 I said Badosa would win, but not only she lost, that score was surprising.
Still one player with previous GS glory in the run.

by Cuckoo4Coco I did think Halep would win this match, but not this easily. I also know Megan thought she would win.

by Cuckoo4Coco :freaking: :yahoo: Amanda moves onto the QF's.

Gonna be a really tough test in the next match against Simona Halep.

by jazzyg If you don't attack Halep's serve (all seconds and some firsts) with your return, you have no chance to beat her when she is playing well.

I had not seen enough of Badosa to realize she does nothing on return of serve. It will be a much different story with Anisimova tomorrow, but Halep just beat her with the loss of three games two weeks ago. If Halep serves well, she should win again. If she doesn't, it could be problematic.

by ponchi101 If she keeps her shots within the lines, she will win. Her problem is that she has those days in which she can't, and Halep is very good at making you hit one more shot and drive you nuts.

by Cuckoo4Coco
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:37 pm If you don't attack Halep's serve (all seconds and some firsts) with your return, you have no chance to beat her when she is playing well.

I had not seen enough of Badosa to realize she does nothing on return of serve. It will be a much different story with Anisimova tomorrow, but Halep just beat her with the loss of three games two weeks ago. If Halep serves well, she should win again. If she doesn't, it could be problematic.
It is gonna be a hard game for me to cheer on one player or the other. I love them both. I probably will root for Amanda, but it is gonna be a tough match.

by jazzyg I felt really dumb last year when Tomljanovic barely won games in the quarters against Barty in what I thought would be a terrific match.

Very happy to see her reach the quarterfinals again. I favor Rybakina over her, but just barely. Not quite sure why Tomljanovic plays so well at Wimbledon but nowhere else. Always liked her ability.

by Cuckoo4Coco Tomorrow's match predictions
Marie over Niemeier
Jabeur over Bouzkova

by ponchi101 With all QF's set, a new poll has started. Of the 9 original choices, only 1 remained (Jabeur).
I was going to put in the OTHER option, but enough with my silliness. :)

by Cuckoo4Coco I picked Anisimova mostly because that is who I want to win it all.

by Suliso Bouzkova. No particular reason, just for fun.

by ponchi101 Halep. I say she has the steady nerves to navigate her last three matches,
Anisimova would make me very happy, but I can't see her playing quality tennis in a deciding set at a slam's championship match.

by ti-amie My woulda coulda shoulda list is now made up of Sabalenka, Sakkari, and Badosa.

And OMG the players left. The only top ten player is Ons. Halep hasn't played well in back to back matches. Maybe Darren's presence is inspiring her?

by ponchi101 The parity keeps getting deeper and deeper. Sure, it was not that way at RG because we did expect Iga to win (although Coco was a surprise), but any tournament is so wide open.
Average ranking of the final 8 players: 47.5. The average quarterfinalist would have not been seeded.

by ashkor87 I repeat- Badosa is a bit over-rated..she is good but not in the same class as Halep.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:07 am I repeat- Badosa is a bit over-rated..she is good but not in the same class as Halep.
After today's demolition, I yield to the evidence. :notworthy:

by Cuckoo4Coco Over-Rated, I don't know about that. She is still a very good player, but just beaten today by a better player in Halep.

by ashkor87 Again, I wish Leylah was here..she would have won this whole thing..

by ponchi101 I wish Ashely would have been here. She would have repeated...

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:40 am Again, I wish Leylah was here..she would have won this whole thing..
^ A nice thought... but, no, she would not have won Wimbledon this year.
No-one has a lot of experience playing on grass because it's so rare, and Leylah has less experience than most.
In 2019, she didn't play Junior Wimbledon. In 2020, no-one played Wimbledon. Last year at Wimbledon, Leylah lost in the 1st round to Ostapenko - Leylah won 3 games.

by Cuckoo4Coco The question is now that it is down to 8 players will it start to settle and things start to fall into place and Jabeur and Halep make the Final? The way the tournament has gone the likely answer is no, but a lot of times the cream of a small crop rises to the top and those two might be the two players of this mix of players. Who really knows??? I am just hoping that Amanda wins this whole thing more than really believing it will actually happen. We have a few more days to see how it all unfolds.

by jazzyg I had Jabeur vs. Halep when the tournament started and have seen nothing to change my mind.

Because Jabeur has the easiest path to the final, I'll stick with her to win for the moment.

by ashkor87 based on Halep's history, if Anisimova gives her a hard time, which she will, Halep may come out flat in the finals.. hope not, of course, but at her age, she may not recover in time and anyway she is not known for her physical resiience.. sigh..

by Cuckoo4Coco Niemeier takes the 1st set over Marie.

by Cuckoo4Coco Time to change my pick with Amanda out. I am going with Simona Halep to win it all over Ons Jabeur now.

by ponchi101
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:55 pm Halep. I say she has the steady nerves to navigate her last three matches,
Anisimova would make me very happy, but I can't see her playing quality tennis in a deciding set at a slam's championship match.
My god, what possessed me to make this call correctly? I must be developing a split personality...

by Suliso So in the end only one of the semi finalists is truly surprising.

by Cuckoo4Coco In the interview the commentator said this is what she dreamed of when she was a little girl. The funny thing is when Elena talks she still sounds like a little girl. :lol:

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:03 pm In the interview the commentator said this is what she dreamed of when she was a little girl. The funny thing is when Elena talks she still sounds like a little girl. :lol:
...said the little girl... ;)
(You are right. Just teasing)

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:03 pm In the interview the commentator said this is what she dreamed of when she was a little girl. The funny thing is when Elena talks she still sounds like a little girl. :lol:
...said the little girl... ;)
(You are right. Just teasing)
Yeah, but if I did an on court interview you would expect the high pitched squeaky teen voice and that is what you'd get. She is like in her early 20's and sounds like Minnie Mouse. :lol: I think she is cute though and actually really beautiful.

by ponchi101 She is pretty.

by ashkor87 Under normal circumstances, I would expect Halep to beat Rybakina but I am a bit unsure how well she can recover ..no rest day..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 pm Under normal circumstances, I would expect Halep to beat Rybakina but I am a bit unsure how well she can recover ..no rest day..
Halep had an easy match, though. Basically a practice session.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:13 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 pm Under normal circumstances, I would expect Halep to beat Rybakina but I am a bit unsure how well she can recover ..no rest day..
Yeah, Halep's match was much easier than what Rybakina had to deal with.

by Cuckoo4Coco Tomorrow's Matches: My Predictions

Halep over Rybakina
Jabeur over Marie

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:Tomorrow's Matches: My Predictions

Halep over Rybakina
Jabeur over Marie
Bingo!! Wonder if Jabeur will be nervous and maybe not have the killer instinct vs her good friend.

by patrick Believe both WTA semifinals will not be close.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:51 pm

Halep over Rybakina
Jabeur over Marie
Bingo!! Wonder if Jabeur will be nervous and maybe not have the killer instinct vs her good friend.

I thought about that, but then I thought otherwise. I have been in that situation a few times playing against my friends and once I step on the court all I am thinking about is winning the match. I don't care who it is against. I am pretty sure it is the same way for my friends as well. Once the match is over and we shake hands we start giggling and chatting just like friends again.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:51 pm

Halep over Rybakina
Jabeur over Marie

I thought about that, but then I thought otherwise. I have been in that situation a few times playing against my friends and once I step on the court all I am thinking about is winning the match. I don't care who it is against. I am pretty sure it is the same way for my friends as well. Once the match is over and we shake hands we start giggling and chatting just like friends again.
Yeah, they are both old pros. I expect Jabeur to handle the occasion. Nice that you and your friends can compete without hard feelings.

by ponchi101
patrick wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 pm Believe both WTA semifinals will not be close.
Jabeur/Maria seems like that. If Rybakina serves very well (leader in aces in the tour at the moment) she can make a match out of it.
Needless to say: I would love a Maria/Rybakina final. What the hell.

by Cuckoo4Coco I want Simona to win it all now.

by ti-amie I don't watch Amanda a lot but I don't think she has the best foot work and isn't fleet of foot either? It's been awhile since I watched her though and I could be wrong. Did Simona make her move a lot and take time away from her?

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:47 pm I don't watch Amanda a lot but I don't think she has the best foot work and isn't fleet of foot either? It's been awhile since I watched her though and I could be wrong. Did Simona make her move a lot and take time away from her?
She doesn't have the foot work like Simona, but I wouldn't say it is bad. Simona does what she always does. She made Amanda make shots and in the end Amanda made errors.

I think that will be the same exact game plan for Simona against Rybakina as well.

by ponchi101 Simona kept the ball in play, and waited for the inevitable horror shot. Really, my recount of the final game is accurate: Amanda was up 0-40, and the sequence was: UE, UE, UE, W (Halep), UE.
Not to take anything form Simona; she did what she had to do. But Amanda is like a person driving a Ferrari at 200MPH and, when the brakes fail, she thinks "Let me take my seatbelt off!".

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 pm Simona kept the ball in play, and waited for the inevitable horror shot.
This is what she does and is so successful at. I think she will do this successfully against Rybakina and also in the final. She is the master of this.

by ashkor87 Updated probabilities

Halep 60%
Jabeur 30%
Rybakina 10%

Djokovic 60%
Kyrgios 35%
Nadal 5%

by ashkor87
Halep made it so, of course- so all credit to her

by ashkor87 Always inspiring to see how the top players keep improving...Halep's serve is much better even than when she last won W...

by ashkor87 Interesting factoid: Rybakina leads the tour in aces

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:51 am
Yep, that is what Simona does and pretty much to perfection most of the time. No reason why she wouldn't continue to do just that against another aggressive player in Rybakina tomorrow who hits a lot of wins and makes a lot of unforced errors.

by ashkor87
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:59 am

Yep, that is what Simona does and pretty much to perfection most of the time. No reason why she wouldn't continue to do just that against another aggressive player in Rybakina tomorrow who hits a lot of wins and makes a lot of unforced errors.
because she is older and has a history of not recovering well from tough matches..it just gets harder as you get older.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:17 am

because she is older and has a history of not recovering well from tough matches..it just gets harder as you get older.
What about players like Rafa and Novak who are getting older and they have had these tough matches in the past and they almost always seem to bounce back and win? I get it that it takes longer for older players to recover from these longer/tougher matches , but these professional athletes are in top physical shape and prepare for this stuff day in and day out.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 pm Simona kept the ball in play, and waited for the inevitable horror shot.
This is what she does and is so successful at. I think she will do this successfully against Rybakina and also in the final. She is the master of this.
It pressures the other player into going for too much. A solid tactic.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:
Well yes - wasn’t meant to detract from her win. Just that she doesn’t need a lot of time to recover from this. She can handle it.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:48 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
It pressures the other player into going for too much. A solid tactic.

She has made a living off of that and has been pretty successful at it.

by ashkor87 It is possible for someone very powerful and aggressive to blast Halep off the court - see Zheng at RG, Sharapova at the USO, Serena at the Ao, even the famous defeat at the hands of Ostapenko.. so it is not out of the realm of possibility that Rybakina could do that to her.. in which case, Jabeur will be champion, because I dont think Jabeur can be blasted off the court by anyone.. too many ifs, but that is what makes this game interesting..

by ashkor87
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:33 am
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:17 am

What about players like Rafa and Novak who are getting older and they have had these tough matches in the past and they almost always seem to bounce back and win? I get it that it takes longer for older players to recover from these longer/tougher matches , but these professional athletes are in top physical shape and prepare for this stuff day in and day out.
everyone is different, physically and mentally - Halep isnt as resilient as Novak and Rafa, I dont think.

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 am everyone is different, physically and mentally - Halep isnt as resilient as Novak and Rafa, I dont think.
Halep isn't on the same planet as Nadal and Djokovic when it comes to mental strength...
In fact, I'd say that Halep is one of the most psychologically fragile players of either gender. She almost completely blew the 2nd set vs. Anisimova yesterday as a direct result of that weakness.
She just gets nervous/unravelled too easily.

That said, Rybakina is still very inexperienced at this level in important matches. She also tightened up in the final set of her match yesterday.
It might be a rather ugly match if neither player can find a decent degree of mental strength.

by Cuckoo4Coco Mentally tough and Physically tough are totally two different things. Sure being physically tough you lose some of that as you get older , but with mentally tough you can have that when you are a young player as well. I was just shown a video yesterday of a past player who had that it seemed a lot in Michael Chang. I never saw him play live, but from what I saw from the video at the age of 17 that he was he definitely was mentally tough. Players can definitely have that at a young age while some older players can be mentally fragile as can be.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:17 am ...

Notice how they have stopped being so dominant (a relative term) at MS1000's, where they don't get the day off between matches. Recovery after certain age simply takes longer.
Simona will be fine, and Rybakina will be fine. One did not play that much, the other one is young.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:07 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:17 am ...

Notice how they have stopped being so dominant (a relative term) at MS1000's, where they don't get the day off between matches. Recovery after certain age simply takes longer.
Simona will be fine, and Rybakina will be fine. One did not play that much, the other one is young.
These players are all in seriously good shape. Heck Serena and Venus who are in their 40's are in fantastic shape.

I am just a kid who plays tennis and trains 2 hours 6 times per week and these players are doing this for a living so they are training at a much more serious rate then I could even imagine. I hope when I am Simona's or Serena's or Venus William's age that I am in as good of shape as any of them.

by Cuckoo4Coco Maria is trying to get this to a 3rd set.

by patrick Other than Sakkari, she has won all her matches like 6-4 or 7-5 in 3rd set.

by Cuckoo4Coco
patrick wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:40 pm Other than Sakkari, she has won all her matches like 6-4 or 7-5 in 3rd set.
Looks like Marie is gonna have to make a comeback in this 3rd set to take this one.

by Suliso Not going to happen this time, but great for her to make this a serious contest.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:11 pm Not going to happen this time, but great for her to make this a serious contest.
I am glad this went a 3rd set.

by Cuckoo4Coco Ons We Go

by the Moz A good match from both, and OJ a class act after MP :thumbsup:

by Cuckoo4Coco Saturday is gonna be a fun match. My prediction is Elena over Ons in 3 thrilling sets.

by Suliso It could also be a straight sets beatdown in either direction. Finals are rarely particularly good, especially between first time participants.

by ponchi101 The entire range of possibilities will be there. I say 51%-49%. Just don't know who.

by ti-amie I'm pulling for Ons but won't be surprised if Rybakina finds a way to win.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:58 pm I'm pulling for Ons but won't be surprised if Rybakina finds a way to win.
Either one wins , I will be happy. I just love Elena's little girl sounding voice :lol: and want to hear her acceptance speech when she wins it all.