Politics Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Politics Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

A lot of people are not him.
Michelle Obama leads Trump by double digits, and he cannot attack her with lack of experience because that is how he ran the first time.
She would chew him up and spit him out half dead.

I still say Gretchen. She will deliver the mid west.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:34 pm I still say Gretchen. She will deliver the mid west.
Not going to happen. Now is not the time of taking a risk like that. This time a white male running mate will be picked and there are several good candidates in that pool. I don't know anything about him myself, but several political sites pick the governor of Pennsylvania as a favorite.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:34 pm
I still say Gretchen. She will deliver the mid west.
granted, I don't live in the midwest...but the only thing most people could say about her is that there was a kidnapping plot. I don't know a single other thing about her. also...I don't think the party would go for a 2 woman ticket.

of course, I don't know much about Josh Shapiro or Roy Cooper either. I know more about Mark Kelly of course but I don't know that the Dems would want to give up a Senate seat.

edit...I forgot Arizona has a Democratic governor, so if it is Kelly, and they win, she can appoint a democratic to fill out his Senate term.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

After a day spent with family that turned out to be nice (no arguments or drama) I calmed down and came to the conclusion that the Dems need the Midwest and some of the West. Whitmer is not the one right now. Neither is Buttigieg. I think Mark Kelly would woo "mainstream Republicans" - not the MAGAts - to the Dems ticket. I agree that nominating him would threaten a seat they will need but I think he's a good candidate. Arizona has been fighting it's MAGAt infestation. TNO's point about the state being run by a Democrat who can appoint another Democrat reassure's me.

I didn't know until it was pointed out to me that none of the Bush family or any other "normals" were at TFG's rally, uh, the RNC Convention.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Just to be clear. I am not saying Whitmer for VP. I am saying for president.
And a male VP.

Or Michelle Obama. With a male VP.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:23 pm Just to be clear. I am not saying Whitmer for VP. I am saying for president.
And a male VP.

Or Michelle Obama. With a male VP.
Michelle Obama has made it clear she wants no part of running for President or any elective office. She didn't want Barack to run.

That said it looks as if the Vice President has it sewn up. Whitmer will cut her teeth running the VP's campaign. Former Attorney General Eric Holder is vetting VP candidates. Whitmer will be a huge help in the Mid West and Holder will make sure there are no surprises in the background of potential candidates.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Biden just put country before himself.
So should Michelle.

Dems have to learn to do realpolitiks. This is not about winning the presidency. It is about making sure Trump does not win.
Michelle wins the election. 6 months later, she quits, leaving it to the VP. Not that difficult.
Having Harris as the candidate is too risky.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

I truly don't understand how Michelle Obama is constantly brought up as a candidate (in news articles even) when she has no interest and doesn't want it. And I don't believe she would win the election either.

Whitmer doesn't have the national recognition at this time. I can't be the only person who doesn't know anything about her other than that she is the governor of Michigan.

Harris can win if they play things right. She has a better chance than Biden did anyway. But realistically, it should never have gotten to this point. Biden ran on being a transitional candidate, implying one term even if never outright promising. They should have been better at getting the next crop of candidates ready.

But between time and money, the only option they really have right now is Harris.
Last edited by texasniteowl on Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Harris campaign says $81 million raised in the last 24 hours.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

From where I sit, the choice for VP rests on one primary question: Can Florida be turned blue again?

If your answer to that question is yes, then you find the candidate that presents the greatest opportunity to do that. Because of the 30 electoral college points. And that reason alone.

If your answer to that question is no, then I think you go with Josh Shapiro. Not because he's necessarily the best candidate for the job but because he has been a good governor in PA, and keeping PA blue will yield the largest number of electoral college votes.

That said, if you go with the top tier potential candidates for VP from Arizona, Michigan, or North Carolina and they keep that state blue, that gets you 11-16 electoral college votes. That's not as many as PA, but it's not bad, either. I just think every electoral college point counts.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think the the answer to Florida question is no, hence the pick will be from a large nearly even state (PA, AZ, NC). It just makes sense to go with safe picks like that.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Harris gains enough pledged delegate support for a likely Democratic nomination

A majority of Democratic delegates have pledged to support Vice President Harris as the party’s next presidential nominee, signaling she is likely to secure the nomination next month. To win the nomination in the first round of voting, a candidate needs the support of at least 1,976 delegates out of nearly 4,000. As of Monday evening, 2,214 delegates from at least three dozen states had endorsed Harris, according to a survey of delegates by the Associated Press. Harris kicked off her campaign earlier Monday with an appearance at its Wilmington, Del., headquarters, where she previewed her campaign message of being a former prosecutor running against a felon. “I will proudly put my record against his,” Harris said of Republican nominee Donald Trump. She also welcomed a surprise phone call from President Biden, who — in his first public remarks since dropping out of the race — urged the campaign staff to rally around Harris. “Embrace her, she’s the best,” Biden said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... n-updates/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is just an observation by me and probably means nothing but the people who were screaming the loudest that President Biden had to go have gone radio silent. Not a peep out of them.

I have to say that the way this has been rolled out was surgical. I don't think this was POTUS walking in and throwing up his hands screaming "I'M OUT!" This was a well prepared and implemented strategy.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:31 am This is just an observation by me and probably means nothing but the people who were screaming the loudest that President Biden had to go have gone radio silent. Not a peep out of them.

I have to say that the way this has been rolled out was surgical. I don't think this was POTUS walking in and throwing up his hands screaming "I'M OUT!" This was a well prepared and implemented strategy.
I'm not sure when the decision was made - maybe shortly after the debate - but the timing of the announcement has been surgical. After the Republican National Convention so the Republicans spent a whole week talking about Biden, and the news cycle has moved past Trump/Vance so fast, and the Democrats have the stage for the next 4 weeks leading into their own convention. The VP discussion alone will take up most of the air time.