Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

I'm pretty sure Alexis is aware that he is Mr. Serena Williams, and he's proud to support his wife.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:08 am I'm pretty sure Alexis is aware that he is Mr. Serena Williams, and he's proud to support his wife.
Since we are in the journalism thread - I would love to read a piece about the ways he supports her.

I read one soon after she stopped playing about his quest to secure all of her cards that were produced and the collection he had already amassed.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm
Let's do, actually! I won't rat you out. :) I doubt anyone is uninformed, but I'm curious what gives off that impression.
I certainly think Steve Tignor doesn't understand tennis much..makes some really crazy predictions, which are always wrong. Just to grab the headline perhaps
I don't know him personally but I believe he knows tennis very well. He's just working off different information than you are. And he doesn't strike me as provocative. I think he has integrity. Certainly has a good reputation among journalists I admire.
Am just catching up and just want to second this defense of Steve Tignor, whom I do know personally casually. I have also noted he's made some interesting predictions over the years (as have many of us...) but I think it's almost silly to question his knowledge of tennis after decades of dedicated tennis writing. He knows and understands the sport well, I just think he's bad at predictions. I don't read much tennis journalism in the last years, including his work, but I also do think he's a great writer.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Fastbackss wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:24 am
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:08 am I'm pretty sure Alexis is aware that he is Mr. Serena Williams, and he's proud to support his wife.
Since we are in the journalism thread - I would love to read a piece about the ways he supports her.

I read one soon after she stopped playing about his quest to secure all of her cards that were produced and the collection he had already amassed.
I probably told this story on here, but during her last US Open, I saw him iin McDonald's making and waiting for a giant order - I'm pretty sure she waited in the car outside (it was a big SUV so I don't think he was alone). He was really nice to the McD's staff who worked on the order for a bit. I thought it was cool that he went himself and they didn't send a driver or an assistant/staffer out.
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:14 pm
I certainly think Steve Tignor doesn't understand tennis much..makes some really crazy predictions, which are always wrong. Just to grab the headline perhaps
I don't know him personally but I believe he knows tennis very well. He's just working off different information than you are. And he doesn't strike me as provocative. I think he has integrity. Certainly has a good reputation among journalists I admire.
Am just catching up and just want to second this defense of Steve Tignor, whom I do know personally casually. I have also noted he's made some interesting predictions over the years (as have many of us...) but I think it's almost silly to question his knowledge of tennis after decades of dedicated tennis writing. He knows and understands the sport well, I just think he's bad at predictions. I don't read much tennis journalism in the last years, including his work, but I also do think he's a great writer.
I suspect that Steve Tignor doesn't care about predictions. He seems to use predictions to highlight some lower ranked player that he thinks is under-appreciated.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/us ... l-surprise

'experts'?! not one thinks Sinner will win, whereas to me, he is the clear favorite!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

with the exception of @meganfernandez.. I think journalists tend to be generalists (I remember football experts like Pat Summerall pontificating on tennis), so not really focused enough to know much about it. The TV commentators used to annoy the heck out of me because they would be discussing the latest NFL game instead of the tennis in front of them, etc etc.. so no, I dont think they know much. with the exception I called out, of course.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Of the journalists who responded I think Bodo knows the most about the sport.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Bodo has a such a long history with the game that by now he has taken Bud Collins' place as the games' historian. He used to party with Borg and Gerulaitis, was able to talk to Connors, knows Lendl and Mac well.
Plus. He was the guy with some literary writing skills. His style was much more than journalism; the guy can write.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:46 am

with the exception of @meganfernandez.. I think journalists tend to be generalists (I remember football experts like Pat Summerall pontificating on tennis), so not really focused enough to know much about it. The TV commentators used to annoy the heck out of me because they would be discussing the latest NFL game instead of the tennis in front of them, etc etc.. so no, I dont think they know much. with the exception I called out, of course.
Steve is a tennis only writer as are a lot of journalists in tennis, this is very different from commentators who are either former players or generalists
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/artic ... mps-talent

an otherwise balanced and sensible article BUT Navarro lost only 3 games? clearly written by someone who doesnt understand the difference between games and matches in tennis...! Is he a tennis writer? Probably not.
but nice to recognize these young women - it is not their fault their parents are rich.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Somebody should also mention this. Since the entire gist of articles like this one is that Pegula and Navarro are very rich, it has to be stressed: they are NOT Billionaires. Their parents are.
Sure, one day they will inherit those empires (with their siblings). And yes, that has been helpful. But these two women are self made, in their sports careers.
Daddy 1 and Daddy 2 didn't buy them a single WTA ranking point.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Of the two I prefer Pegula but as the song says "momma may have, and poppa may have, but god bless the child who's got its own..."

Neither one of them needs to be out here doing what they're doing. The same goes for Fritz.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »