by ti-amie DAY 14 SUNDAY 10 JULY
COMPLETE

CENTRE COURT 2:00PM

GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES - FINAL
N. Djokovic (SRB) 1 v N. Kyrgios (AUS)
LADIES' DOUBLES - FINAL
E. Mertens (BEL) 1/S. Zhang (CHN) 1 v B. Krejcikova (CZE) 2/K. Siniakova (CZE) 2

NO.1 COURT 1:00PM

BOYS' SINGLES - FINAL
M. Zheng (USA) v M. Poljicak (CRO) 3

GENTLEMEN'S INVITATION DOUBLES - FINAL
M. Baghdatis (CYP)/X. Malisse (BEL) v B. Bryan (USA)/M. Bryan (USA)

NO.3 COURT 11:00AM

GENTLEMEN'S WHEELCHAIR SINGLES - FINAL
S. Kunieda (JPN) 1 v A. Hewett (GBR) 2
LADIES' WHEELCHAIR DOUBLES - FINAL
D. De Groot (NED) 1/A. Van Koot (NED) 1 v Y. Kamiji (JPN)/D. Mathewson (USA)

COURT 12 11:00AM

QUAD WHEELCHAIR SINGLES - FINAL
N. Vink (NED) 1 v S. Schroder (NED) 2
GIRLS' 14&UNDER SINGLES - FINAL
A. Tatu (ROU) 1 v A. Soare (ROU) 5
BOYS' 14&UNDER SINGLES - FINAL
S. Cho (KOR) 5 v C. Ngounoue (USA) 3

COURT 18 11:00AM

INVITATION MIXED DOUBLES - FINAL
T.A. Woodbridge (AUS)/C. Black (ZIM) v N. Zimonjic (SRB)/M. Bartoli (FRA)
LADIES' INVITATION DOUBLES - FINAL
K. Clijsters (BEL)/M. Hingis (SUI) v D. Hantuchova (SVK)/L. Robson (GBR)

COURT 4 11:00AM

BOYS' 14&U SINGLES CONSOLATION PLAY-OFFS - SECOND ROUND
M. Ceban (GBR) v J. Dembo (AUS)
GIRLS' 14&U SINGLES CONSOLATION PLAY-OFFS - SECOND ROUND
M. Stojsavljevic (GBR) v G. Guillen (AUS)
D. Pagani (ARG) v B. Chelia (ARG)

COURT 8 11:00AM

A. Jadhav (IND) v S. Hetherington (FRA)
A. Missoum (MAR) v P. Dietrich (BRA)
A. Das (NZL) v N. Okhtenberg (USA)

TO BE ARRANGED 1
NOT BEFORE: 3:00PM
QUAD WHEELCHAIR DOUBLES - FINAL
S. Schroder (NED) 1/N. Vink (NED) 1 v A. Lapthorne (GBR) 2/D. Wagner (USA) 2

by Cuckoo4Coco My Men's Final Prediction

Novak Djokovic defeats Nick Kyrgios in 5 sets.

by ponchi101 Novak in 4.

by Suliso Signed me also up for Djokovic in 4.

by Deuce I don't know who will win, and I don't care. Though I appreciate their tennis abilities, I a not am fan of either player.
My ideal scenario would see both of them disqualified at the same time - Djokovic for hitting a linesperson with a ball, and Kyrgios for doing one of the stupid things he's done, which are too numerous to pick one.

I do think that Kyrgios will behave rather well, though. Mostly because he doesn't really feel that he belongs on the court, playing the Wimbledon Final, against Djokovic. So I don't think he'll draw a lot of attention to himself today, because this is a foreign and uncomfortable environment for him.

Whoever wins, I'd like to see a big asterisk beside their name (due to the unfair ban of the Russian and Belarusian players).

by Cuckoo4Coco I don't really like either player either and I do recognize that both of these players do have enormous talent. They also both had awesome tournaments to get to the final although I do wish at least Nick would have had to play to get into the final.

The Russian and Belarusian player ban although wrong is what it is and losing Medvedev and Rublev and others was tough, but you can also say that Covid at least on the Men's side also effected the draw a lot. Berrettini , Clilic & Bautista Agut all had to withdraw as well. Both Novak and Nick played an awesome tournament and I don't know if any of these other players would have stopped either of them, but their tennis spoke for itself to get them both to the final.

by the Moz Allez Antics :thumbsup:

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:31 pm ...
The Russian and Belarusian player ban although wrong is what it is and losing Medvedev and Rublev and others was tough, but you can also say that Covid at least on the Men's side also effected the draw a lot. Berrettini , Clilic & Bautista Agut all had to withdraw as well. Both Novak and Nick played an awesome tournament and I don't know if any of these other players would have stopped either of them, but their tennis spoke for itself to get them both to the final.
And C4C with a massive slam dunk!!! :thumbsup:
Yes, maybe one of the Russians could have won it. A big maybe. Medvedev's and Rublev's best results here: 4R. Once. These men are not powerhouses on grass. On the women's side, do we really believe that any of the Russian women would have been a factor? Sure, in the same fashion that Rybakina was a factor two weeks ago. Another player with a chance. Only that. The Belarusians? Sabalenka was in the SF's last year, and we know that Sabalenka can win any match, or self destroy in every match. Did we really expect her to be a huge factor?
Would the draw have been affected? Yes, of course. BY DEFINITION. The draw is a matter of luck; run the draw a second time, and you get a different one. Somebody posted here that Maria reached the SF because of a lucky draw. And Coco Vandeweghe had a reasonable draw, since she drew the #17 seed. Which ended up being a terrible draw because Rybakina ended up winning the tournament, but we did not know that two weeks ago.
Yes, this ban was stupid. But going into this exercise of what-could-have, should-have, would-have been is futile, and making it sound as if Rybakina's win was purchased by her Kazakh sponsor is odd. She beat the #3 seed, one former champion, another former-slam champion, and lost two sets in the tournament. A solid performance.

by ponchi101 I can't recall ever being this conflicted in a match. Hoping both will lose.
But I just made up my mind. If Novak wins, he ties Pete at 7 Wimby's. And I can't want that.

by Cuckoo4Coco Wow, that was a heck of a shot by Nick. Ran it down for a winner.

by ponchi101 Kyrgios starting to talk to his box. Good sign for Novak.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Kyrgios starting to talk to his box. Good sign for Novak.
They are standing on every point and he still yells at them to support him. Maybe this is how he channels his nervous energy.

Funny, Nick isn’t very entertaining in this match. He has hit a couple doozies but not many. Where’s the good showmanship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Cuckoo4Coco This service game is so huge for Nick right here at 4-4 in the 4th set.

by Cuckoo4Coco Congrats to Novak Djokovic on an incredible 7th Wimbledon Championship.

by ponchi101 He ties Pete, and is only one behind Roger.
Congrats to Nole and his fans. 4 in a row, with no one around that seems unable to challenge him.
And Nick. There are no more excuses. He is one of the preternatural talents in the sport, and now it is time to put his head down. He will never play RG, but the other three slams are possible. If he can dedicate himself to the sport.

by dryrunguy The quality of the tennis was quite high until the tiebreak. Last I saw the match stats, both guys had double the winners or better compared to UEs. You don't see THAT every day, for sure.

by jazzyg I had a flight I purposely set up for 3 so I could watch the final. Then it got canceled and changed to the morning, so I did not get to watch it. Can't wait to see how Kyrgios lost serve in the 3rd set after being up 40-0.

About a year ago the ATP website ran a story on how rare it was for the top players to lose serve in that spot, and Kyrgios on grass would seem to make those odds astronomical.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:Can't wait to see how Kyrgios lost serve in the 3rd set after being up 40-0.
Pressure. His family and friends, obviously. They didn't cheer enough on the right points.

I saw the first 2.5 sets and was surprised Kyrgios isn’t more aggressive with his ground strokes. He was trying to trade backhands with Djokovic like he’s in that league. Holding way back on his FH. He wasn’t going to win many of those long rallies.

It was high quality, but low on the Kyrgios entertainment value for me. He talks up his showmanship but he was sort of boring for most of the match. The incessant whinging isn’t showmanship.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm He ties Pete, and is only one behind Roger.
Congrats to Nole and his fans. 4 in a row, with no one around that seems unable to challenge him.
And Nick. There are no more excuses. He is one of the preternatural talents in the sport, and now it is time to put his head down. He will never play RG, but the other three slams are possible. If he can dedicate himself to the sport.
I also agree that Nick's head is what he really has to somehow start to handle better and he will really become a challenge for any opponent at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:01 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm He ties Pete, and is only one behind Roger.
I also agree that Nick's head is what he really has to somehow start to handle better and he will really become a challenge for any opponent at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.
He also has to stay fit. He's fairly fit right now but let's see if he commits to fitness.

by ponchi101 Part of what I say that he has to commit. There are no more excuses.
At the very minimum, ok: you can't beat the big two (which is false; he can). But he has to insert himself in the conversation with Daniil, Zverev and Stefanos. He has the talent.
Then again: this is a ONE SAMPLE analysis. He did well here at W, but has done very little elsewhere (and off grass). So, maybe, just maybe, we are going by LAST AVAILABLE DATA biases. Maybe he is ranked where he should be ranked.
I don't think so, but that ranking might be accurate.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:39 pm Part of what I say that he has to commit. There are no more excuses.
At the very minimum, ok: you can't beat the big two (which is false; he can). But he has to insert himself in the conversation with Daniil, Zverev and Stefanos. He has the talent.
Then again: this is a ONE SAMPLE analysis. He did well here at W, but has done very little elsewhere (and off grass). So, maybe, just maybe, we are going by LAST AVAILABLE DATA biases. Maybe he is ranked where he should be ranked.
I don't think so, but that ranking might be accurate.
Sue Barker asked Nick if this result made him hungry for more, and he said, "Absolutely not. I'm so tired. Me and my team, we're all exhausted. We played so much tennis." He was smiling and somewhat joking, but now he knows what it takes and he might be discouraged. We'll see.

Djokovic was funny about his and Nick's relationship now in his speech. Fun stuff. We also got a trip down memory lane to the Serbian mountaintop restaurant his parents owned. Been a while since we heard about that place.

And Djokovic's son wasn't at the trophy ceremony because he was playing a set against Bob Bryan's son!

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm ...

Sue Barker asked Nick if this result made him hungry for more, and he said, "Absolutely not. I'm so tired. Me and my team, we're all exhausted. We played so much tennis." He was smiling and somewhat joking, but now he knows what it takes and he might be discouraged. We'll see.

Djokovic was funny about his and Nick's relationship now in his speech. Fun stuff. We also got a trip down memory lane to the Serbian mountaintop restaurant his parents owned. Been a while since we heard about that place.

And Djokovic's son wasn't at the trophy ceremony because he was playing a set against Bob Bryan's son!
That is so sad. I have never heard of anybody saying that after losing a slam final.
I remember when Pete lost to Edberg at the 92 USO final. Years later, he said that that was the match that made him a champion. That losing that match felt so bad he swore never again to lose another final.
Sure, he did. But he was 14-4 in GS finals, so he really tried to never again lose one.
The antithesis of Kyrgios.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Cuckoo4Coco I can't believe that the Wimbledon tournament is over and the next Grand Slam event will start only 3 days before I start back to school.

by ponchi101 Time to start adding a third hour of training a day, then ;)

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:41 pm Time to start adding a third hour of training a day, then ;)
I don't know if mom will approve of that with homework and everything. :D During school my tennis time actually goes down. I do still practice on the weekends though a bit more. Mom and my coach always says school comes first.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:I can't believe that the Wimbledon tournament is over and the next Grand Slam event will start only 3 days before I start back to school.
Lots of good tennis before the U.S. Open! We’ll still be here. :)

by New England Nitemare
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 am

Absolutely Megan. The US Open Series should be good this season!! Can't wait.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:26 pm
They are standing on every point and he still yells at them to support him. Maybe this is how he channels his nervous energy.
^ There's no 'maybe' about it. This is absolutely how he handles his nervousness and anxiety and insecurity.
And it has reached ridiculous proportions.
Murray yells at his box - but what Kyrgios does is blame them for every shot he misses and every game he loses.

What John McEnroe says about Kyrgios is very true - he is terrified of failing. That stems from his massive degree of insecurity, of course. And blaming his 'team' is his way of absolving himself of the responsibility for failing. But he does it to an absolutely ridiculous degree.
It also shows how dependent he is on them for 'support' - because, deep down, he doesn't feel he's good enough on his own.

Can you imagine this being done in any other sport - blaming their family/'team' for their own failings?

I obviously don't know the source of Nick's massive insecurity and fear of failure... but there is a photo circulating of him as an 8 year old kid, and he's wearing a 'Wutang' shirt. The 'Wutang Clan' was/is a 'music group' which very much promoted drug use, drug dealing, and the extreme 'gangsta' lifestyle ("The landmark album touted a lifestyle patterned on drug dealing, regrets of living in harsh conditions, and partying"). Certainly not the kind of stuff that an 8 year old child should be exposed to. The fact that the 8 year old Nick Kyrgios idolized them enough to wear their shirt offers at the very least a glimpse into how his parents brought him up (or didn't).

Here's the photo of 8 year old Kyrgios:

by Cuckoo4Coco
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:I can't believe that the Wimbledon tournament is over and the next Grand Slam event will start only 3 days before I start back to school.

Oh and I will be around as well. Also starting on August 3rd I am playing in a local area tournament.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:21 pm

Oh and I will be around as well. Also starting on August 3rd I am playing in a local area tournament.
Good luck, can't wait to hear about it!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:33 pm

Thank You, ponchi is gonna set me up with a blog and I am gonna write about me preparing for it and the actual tournament. It will probably be really boring because preparing for it won't really be any different from what I do any other practice. I never really wrote a blog before either so I really won't know what I am doing. :lol:

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:41 pm

Thank You, ponchi is gonna set me up with a blog and I am gonna write about me preparing for it and the actual tournament. It will probably be really boring because preparing for it won't really be any different from what I do any other practice. I never really wrote a blog before either so I really won't know what I am doing. :lol:
I'm a writer, professionally, so if you want any tips, let me know. I'm sure you'll do great. The details you think are boring are all new to us! You can talk about your goals and what you did each day to work on them and how it's going. I'd love to know what kind of advice your coach gives. Fans usually aren't aware of coaching input. I'd also like to know specifically what you work on during a practice and for how long. And get a sense of how hard you work, what exactly is hard, what's challenging.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:04 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:41 pm

I'm a writer, professionally, so if you want any tips, let me know. I'm sure you'll do great. The details you think are boring are all new to us! You can talk about your goals and what you did each day to work on them and how it's going. I'd love to know what kind of advice your coach gives. Fans usually aren't aware of coaching input. I'd also like to know specifically what you work on during a practice and for how long. And get a sense of how hard you work, what exactly is hard, what's challenging.
I will try my best. I do get good grades on my school papers when I have to write about a book I have read in English class so at least there is that. ;)

I do think I work pretty hard and my practices last about 2 hours per day and the only day I do not have practice is on Sunday. Also one of the days is set aside for strengthening and cardio so I don't even pick up a racquet that day of the week. Now when school starts the hours go down because I am in school all day and then I usually have homework. I do increase my weekend hours and I do practice on Sunday during school. My school stuff though comes first. I think my coach pushes me pretty hard but also gives a good balance to me. He knows where I am at right now and I think he is guiding me towards that next level but he is doing it gradually so I don't get overwhelmed. I have been playing and learning tennis for a long time now(since I was 5 years old). I have never lost my love for the game. I really think that is because of all the people that are around me and how they have brought me along. I have never been pressured by a family member or coach to play. I have been encouraged by my family to do other things and to be a kid and especially to focus on my school first. This has kept my love for the game going strong.

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:24 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:26 pm
^ There's no 'maybe' about it. This is absolutely how he handles his nervousness and anxiety and insecurity.
And it has reached ridiculous proportions.
Murray yells at his box - but what Kyrgios does is blame them for every shot he misses and every game he loses.

What John McEnroe says about Kyrgios is very true - he is terrified of failing. That stems from his massive degree of insecurity, of course. And blaming his 'team' is his way of absolving himself of the responsibility for failing. But he does it to an absolutely ridiculous degree.
It also shows how dependent he is on them for 'support' - because, deep down, he doesn't feel he's good enough on his own.

Can you imagine this being done in any other sport - blaming their family/'team' for their own failings?

I obviously don't know the source of Nick's massive insecurity and fear of failure... but there is a photo circulating of him as an 8 year old kid, and he's wearing a 'Wutang' shirt. The 'Wutang Clan' was/is a 'music group' which very much promoted drug use, drug dealing, and the extreme 'gangsta' lifestyle ("The landmark album touted a lifestyle patterned on drug dealing, regrets of living in harsh conditions, and partying"). Certainly not the kind of stuff that an 8 year old child should be exposed to. The fact that the 8 year old Nick Kyrgios idolized them enough to wear their shirt offers at the very least a glimpse into how his parents brought him up (or didn't).

Here's the photo of 8 year old Kyrgios:
I said on TAT 1.0 that in his head Kyrgios is still that eight year old kid.

As to the coaches and whoever else is in the players box standing on every point in support of a player Andreescu does the same thing. It's tiring to watch and has to be for them too.