Day session - From 8:00pm EST

Women's Wheelchair Singles • Final
D. De Groot 1 vs Y. Kamiji 2
Quad Wheelchair Singles • Final
N. Vink 1 vs S. Schroder 2
Men's Wheelchair Singles • Final
A. Hewett 1 vs T. Oda 3

by ponchi101 Sabalenka in three.
It might be a very good final, if they both bring on their best game.

by ti-amie It's a toss up. Aryna has been playing well but I still think it's possible she will flake out in the Final.

by ti-amie

by JTContinental Sabalenka 3-0 lifetime against Rybakina, so this could be fun

by Deuce Yes... and Sabalenka was 1-5 vs. Vekic before the other day.
It means nothing.

by ponchi101 A 6-4 set in 34 minutes.
That was fast. And a lot of winners. But the DF's are making a dent.

by Deuce Now, having lost the 1st set, we'll see if Sabalenka gets nervous and starts pressing (and missing).
This will be a real test of her mental evolution/progress to this point. If she can maintain her focus (and remain relatively calm) - even if she loses the 2nd set -, it will show that she has indeed progressed in this area.
If not, well... same old, same old...

by Deuce Sabalenka didn't falter in the 2nd set - at least, not for more than a few points. She didn't seem nervous - she wasn't tentative. She maintained her focus and her aggressiveness, which shows genuine confidence.
It seems that she has indeed progressed emotionally/psychologically.

Of course, the 3rd set will be another test of that...

by ponchi101 The winners/UE count is telling. This is high quality. But the total numbers are both for Sabalenka. The match is going through her.

by Deuce The Belarusian flag - which was shown during ESPN's coverage of the semi-finals - is absent again in today's coverage of the match - replaced by the stupid and inappropriate white flag of surrender.
It should be solid blue - like the background under the names of the players.

by Deuce I think the most appropriate word here is: FINALLY!
Many people saw that she’s had the game to do these things for a few years now - but she had to wait for her mind to catch up with her physical abilities.

And FINALLY for all those fans who kept predicting over the past few years that she would win a big one...

It’s not my preferred type of tennis - I prefer a crafty, creative variety to the in-your-face power game... But she is definitely good. To hit those shots with power and precision requires talent, to be sure.

Bravo to her!

by skatingfan Congratulations to Sabalenka - I only caught the 3rd set, but they were both hitting the cover off the ball.

by Deuce And now it's Rinky's turn to see if he and his partner Jason Kubler can become the first Australian team in 25 years 1 year to win their home Major.
Their opponents are Jan Zielinski and Hugo Nys.

Both teams are unseeded. Rinky and Jason are WildCards. They are the surprise of the tournament thus far - two guys not highly ranked, using the energy they've gotten from the home crowd to fuel their momentum... beating the top seeded team along the way...

by Suliso Can't say I particularly like Sabalenka, but it was at last indeed. I'm pretty sure now she'll win a few more. There are no other dominant players who'd prevent that.

by Deuce Rinky!!!!!
He and Jason went all the way!
He's got to be the first 'Rinky' to win a Major title.

Straight sets - the 2nd in a tiebreak.
The post match on-court 'speeches' by all 4 players were really nice and respectful.

Match point was rather spectacular (at the 2 minute mark of the automatically opening video in the link)...

https://ausopen.com/match/2023-rinky-hi ... 9418941112

by texasniteowl Wow. I didn't manage to stay awake to watch live, but just finished watching the encore. That was a very very good match. Very high quality and given their styles of play, not nearly as error filled as it could have been. I haven't watched a lot of Sabalenka's matches, but this was an excellent performance. Great final.

by Owendonovan 8-) Why isn't anyone talking about Djokovic? I know he didn't play, but he's injured, his family is misunderstood, and Serbia is a small country!!!!

The ladies put on a good show, neither is who I wanted to win, but I'm happy they both stepped up to the moment.

by ponchi101 It was very high quality, and I was very pleased that Sabalenka's DGFG count went DOWN through the match: 5, 1 and 1.
As Suliso says, I would say that the chances that either of these two end up as one slam wonders are very slim. They do pack a lot of great strokes. Maybe they will never win at RG; that could be a caveat. But Rybakina has proven that she is good on any court other than clay (I don't know if she has clay court titles) and Sabalenka by now has reached at least the semis in all other three.

Sabalenka now has the inside track for year end #1. Iga has to defend a lot of titles, and starting this well will help. And Rybakina is in the top ten, so another good challenger to the mix. It might be a fun race this year.

by ponchi101
Owendonovan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:40 pm 8-) Why isn't anyone talking about Djokovic? I know he didn't play, but he's injured, his family is misunderstood, and Serbia is a small country!!!!

The ladies put on a good show, neither is who I wanted to win, but I'm happy they both stepped up to the moment.
We will leave that for today.
The tribulations! The tribulations!

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:47 pm
Sabalenka now has the inside track for year end #1. Iga has to defend a lot of titles, and starting this well will help. And Rybakina is in the top ten, so another good challenger to the mix. It might be a fun race this year.
Whoever wins AO always have an inside track, but as of now I still consider Iga a favorite for that.

by ponchi101 We didn't set up PREDICTIONS for the year. But who are the candidates for #1 by year's end? What does that list look like?
Iga
Sabalenka
Rybakina
Garcia
Ons

Who else?
(and no, please, don't say OTHER :cry: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! ;) )

by Suliso Really hard to see a true "other" claim this one. It's not one hot streak we're talking about here anymore. Maybe one could add 2-4 more names to your list, but that's about it.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:20 pm We didn't set up PREDICTIONS for the year. But who are the candidates for #1 by year's end? What does that list look like?
Iga
Sabalenka
Rybakina
Garcia
Ons

Who else?
But I mean, realistically, there has to be an OTHER category if you make those the only choices.

As for Swiatek, she doesn't just have title points to defend, but good results as well. She lost 500 points here, for instance.

by JazzNU Very happy for Sabalenka, I knew she could do it. So happy she got this one and silenced all the haters.

by Suliso I think some of you are making a fundamental mistake here. A year end #1 has nothing to do with defending anything.

I say still Iga because I think she'll win RG again.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:17 pm I think some of you are making a fundamental mistake here. A year end #1 has nothing to do with defending anything.

Depends on your definition. I've seen the phrase "year end #1" used to describe both being ranked #1 at the end of year and being ranked first in the yearly points race.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:17 pm I think some of you are making a fundamental mistake here. A year end #1 has nothing to do with defending anything.

You are right.
I say Iga can win RG, but repeating there has been historically very difficult (unless you are Rafa).

by ti-amie I fell asleep after the first set and woke up to see Aryna won. I'm happy for her. She has struggled with staying focused but not this time it seems.

by Suliso
JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:52 pm

Depends on your definition. I've seen the phrase "year end #1" used to describe both being ranked #1 at the end of year and being ranked first in the yearly points race.
That's also the same thing, isn't it? At the end of the year of course.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:20 pm We didn't set up PREDICTIONS for the year. But who are the candidates for #1 by year's end? What does that list look like?
Iga
Sabalenka
Rybakina
Garcia
Ons

Who else?
Just these three. Maaaaaaybe Pegula.

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:15 am
JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:52 pm

That's also the same thing, isn't it? At the end of the year of course.
The yearly point race is rarely the same total as the overall singles rankings. I don't want to say never because there's probably some exceptions, maybe for young players in the first year on the pro tour. But that's why there are separate rankings on the WTA and ATP sites for rankings and the singles and doubles race. When I've seen them side by side in the past, it's never the same numbers listed for the end of the year. This is true for the WTA and the ATP.