E. Mandlik vs K. Birrell (12)

A. Schmiedlova (2) vs A. Bolsova
A. Konjuh vs M. Bassols Ribera (7)

L. Tsurenko (3) vs C. Dolehide (WC)
M. Carle vs L. Stefanini (8)

L. Pigossi (4) vs M. Navarro Oliva (WC)
N. Hibino vs E. Navarro (10)

L. Jeanjean (5) v D. Papamichail
L. Fernandez Olivares (WC) v E. Andreeva (9)

D. Parry (6) vs R. Peterson
K. Scott vs C. Vandeweghe (11)

by ashkor87 Lively place, Merida... Was there some 40 years ago..saw a Coke bottle offering in a church! And The great lost city of course..

by Suliso I liked Merida too. Was there 3 years ago...

by Sinner Fan This event looks up for grabs.

by ti-amie Main Draw Singles

POL M. Linette (1)
vs COL C. Osorio
GER J. Niemeier vs HUN P. Udvardy
ARG N. Podoroska vs Qualifier
MEX F. Contreras Gomez vs USA A. Parks (5)

CHN L. Zhu (3) vs USA C. McNally
USA K. Volynets vs ITA L. Bronzetti
Qualifier vs HUN A. Bondar
CHN X. Wang vs USA A. Riske-Amritraj (8)

ITA E. Cocciaretto (7) vs SUI V. Golubic
Qualifier vs CHN X. Wang
SUI S. Waltert vs BEL Y. Bonaventure
Qualifier vs CZE K. Siniakova (4)

EGY M. Sherif (6) vs ITA C. Giorgi
ESP N. Parrizas Diaz vs Qualifier
GER T. Maria vs UKR K. Baindl
Qualifier vs USA S. Stephens (2)

Note:

Round of 32 Prize $2,804
Round of 16 Prize $3,922
Quarterfinals Prize $6,418
Semifinals Prize $11,275
Final Prize $20,226

by ti-amie Sloane likes playing in Mexico. She could do well here.

by Sinner Fan I will stick with the Italian ladies in top half Bronzetti in bottom half Cocciaretto.

by ponchi101 Riske/Siniakova

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am I liked Merida too. Was there 3 years ago...
Most tourists muss it, go to the beaches - which are great but cities like Merida and Palenque have a charm of their own ..

by Sinner Fan Three Italian ladies on court today in Merida. Too bad the matches come on so late for me.I can't really watch.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 am I liked Merida too. Was there 3 years ago...
It's high on my list. I love those Spanish colonial cities. Did you go to Izamal, the all-yellow city?

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:19 pm
It's high on my list. I love those Spanish colonial cities. Did you go to Izamal, the all-yellow city?
No, but we did go to Valladolid. It's worth stopping there too.

by ti-amie Day 3 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

Starts at 03:00 PM

CHN L. ZHU (3) vs USA C. MCNALLY
FOLLOWED BY
USA K. VOLYNETS vs ITA L. BRONZETTI
NOT BEFORE 7:00 PM
EGY M. SHERIF (6)
vs ITA C. GIORGI
FOLLOWED BY
ITA E. COCCIARETTO (7)
vs SUI V. GOLUBIC

Cancha 1
Starts at 01:00 PM

SUI S. WALTERT vs BEL Y. BONAVENTURE
FOLLOWED BY
ESP N. PARRIZAS DIAZ vs CRO A. KONJUH
FOLLOWED BY
CHN X. WANG vs USA A. RISKE-AMRITRAJ (8)
FOLLOWED BY
AUS K. BIRRELL vs HUN A. BONDAR
FOLLOWED BY
VEN A. GAMIZ/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS vs USA K. CHRISTIAN/USA S. SANTAMARIA (2)

Cancha 2

CHN X. WANG/TPE F. WU vs USA A. PARKS/USA S. STEPHENS
FOLLOWED BY
FRA E. CASCINO/CZE J. MALECKOVA vs CZE A. DETIUC/JPN E. HOZUMI (3)

by Deuce Watching some of Caty McNally vs. Lin Zhu... McNally won the 1st set in a tiebreak.
After losing the 11th game of the 2nd set to make it 5-6, Zhu threw her racquet a good distance - and it appeared to strike the base linesman, who was sitting in his chair. Zhu gave a quick wave of apology, then the linesman, who did not appear to be injured, casually picked up the racquet, which was half beside and half under his chair, and handed it to her.

She was given a warning for racquet abuse only. I feel that things like that - where a racquet or ball is launched in the direction of a human being - warrant a more severe punishment.
McNally seemed to question the light punishment, as well, having a calm discussion - with frequent raised eyebrows - with the chair umpire while sitting on the changeover.

Zhu just won the 2nd set tiebreak on a McNally double fault. A little earlier in the set, McNally double faulted on 2 successive points.
Starting the 3rd set now.,..

by ti-amie Day 4 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

UKR L. TSURENKO vs CZE K. SINIAKOVA (4)
UPCOMING
FRA L. JEANJEAN vs USA S. STEPHENS (2)
UPCOMING
POL M. LINETTE (1)
vs COL C. OSORIO
UPCOMING
MEX F. CONTRERAS GOMEZ vs USA A. PARKS (5)

Cancha 1

RUS E. AVANESYAN vs CHN X. WANG
UPCOMING
GER J. NIEMEIER vs HUN P. UDVARDY
UPCOMING
GER T. MARIA vs UKR K. BAINDL
UPCOMING
ARG N. PODOROSKA vs SWE R. PETERSON
UPCOMING
SUI V. GOLUBIC/HUN P. UDVARDY vs HUN A. BONDAR/FRA E. LECHEMIA

Cancha 2

CHN X. HAN/BLR L. MAROZAVA (4) vs USA C. MCNALLY/FRA D. PARRY
UPCOMING
GBR A. BARNETT/GBR O. NICHOLLS (1) vs CHN X. WANG/CHN L. ZHU

by ashkor87 several interesting players here.. Osorio, Sloane, Parks.. Sloane is prima facie the best, but she seems out of the habit of winning.. would be interesting to see Osorio Serrano vs Parks - contrast of styles..on the whole, Parks should win this event but you never know with young people..

by ponchi101 Wide open field. Parks could win it. She can go down in the QF's.
Siniakova should make a good run.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:25 pm several interesting players here.. Osorio, Sloane, Parks.. Sloane is prima facie the best, but she seems out of the habit of winning.. would be interesting to see Osorio Serrano vs Parks - contrast of styles..on the whole, Parks should win this event but you never know with young people..
Or will Niemeier get her first title?

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:41 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:25 pm several interesting players here.. Osorio, Sloane, Parks.. Sloane is prima facie the best, but she seems out of the habit of winning.. would be interesting to see Osorio Serrano vs Parks - contrast of styles..on the whole, Parks should win this event but you never know with young people..
I'd be surprised if she did, but that would be a good sign that she's building off of last season. So far feels like she's taken a step back. Like they were doing too much in the off season and adjusted some things in her game for the worse.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:26 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:41 pm ...

I'd be surprised if she did, but that would be a good sign that she's building off of last season. So far feels like she's taken a step back. Like they were doing too much in the off season and adjusted some things in her game for the worse.
I side with she has taken a step back. She has done very little since Wimbledon.

by ti-amie
Win? I'm not sure about that. Do well? Oh yeah.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:13 pm
JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:26 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:41 pm ...

I side with she has taken a step back. She has done very little since Wimbledon.
She also looked very good at the US Open. But in 2023, she's not looking quite the same from the times I caught her matches. Hopefully she figures it out soon.

by ti-amie I put on Merida and from the way Tsurenko was walking it was clear she was not going to be able to finish the match.
Jeanjean and Stephens are up next.

by ashkor87 Hadn't noticed Giorgi is here...she and Sloane are the class in this field then..

by ponchi101 Giorgi? I mean, I can't dislike a girl with her looks, but, if I go by your definition of class, she simply does not fit.

by ti-amie Sloane seems to have romped over the qualifier Jeanjean

by ponchi101 BTW. Contreras Gomez has a 2-0 H2H vs Parks. So, not a foregone conclusion.
63-63/63-62. So Parks has not gotten one single set, and has not gotten more than 3 games in a set. Interesting.

by ti-amie I have MCOS vs Linette on. Camila is 4-3 on serve first set.

by Deuce I'm watching Tatjana Maria vs. Gracheva... because Tatjana is the closest thing to Su Wei Hsieh that we currently have (and because she and her husband were very nice to me last summer).
Tatjana started strong - up 3-0... held on to win the 1st set... then faltered a bit in the 2nd, losing it... and seems to be low on fuel in the 3rd.
This is not unusual for her. After all, she's in her mid 30s with 2 kids keeping her busy.

by ti-amie And MCOS and Magda are in a first set TB

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:29 am Sloane seems to have romped over the qualifier Jeanjean
I think she's the one that made a minor splash at the French Open last year, right? Time is running out for her to do something with those points. Her ranking isn't high right now since she's a qualifier at a 250, so I imagine she'll be playing ITFs and WTA 125s soon if she's not careful, not able to even get into qualifying at most WTA Tour events (outside of France, that is).

by Suliso Perhaps Linette is a favorite here. She's in the top 10 in this year's points.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:34 am
ti-amie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:29 am Sloane seems to have romped over the qualifier Jeanjean
I think she's the one that made a minor splash at the French Open last year, right? Time is running out for her to do something with those points. Her ranking isn't high right now since she's a qualifier at a 250, so I imagine she'll be playing ITFs and WTA 125s soon if she's not careful, not able to even get into qualifying at most WTA Tour events (outside of France, that is).
Yes, she had a good run last year at RG, and knocked several of us out of the SP, as she won a few extra rounds.

by ti-amie Day 5 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

AUS K. BIRRELL vs CHN X. WANG
UPCOMING
USA C. MCNALLY vs USA K. VOLYNETS
UPCOMING
ITA C. GIORGI vs ESP N. PARRIZAS DIAZ
UPCOMING
ITA E. COCCIARETTO (7)
vs CHN X. WANG

Cancha 1

GRE D. PAPAMICHAIL/SUI S. WALTERT vs USA I. NEEL/NED R. VAN DER HOEK
UPCOMING
ITA L. BRONZETTI/EGY M. SHERIF vs GEO N. DZALAMIDZE/RUS K. RAKHIMOVA
UPCOMING
USA C. MCNALLY/FRA D. PARRY vs TBD

by ti-amie Day 6 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

SWE R. PETERSON vs USA A. PARKS (5)
UPCOMING
POL M. LINETTE (1)
vs HUN P. UDVARDY
UPCOMING
RUS V. GRACHEVA vs USA S. STEPHENS (2)
UPCOMING
BEL Y. BONAVENTURE vs CZE K. SINIAKOVA (4)

Cancha 1

CHN X. WANG/CHN L. ZHU vs GRE D. PAPAMICHAIL/SUI S. WALTERT
UPCOMING
GEO N. DZALAMIDZE/RUS K. RAKHIMOVA vs USA K. CHRISTIAN/USA S. SANTAMARIA (2)
UPCOMING
CHN X. WANG/TPE F. WU vs CZE A. DETIUC/JPN E. HOZUMI (3)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:54 pm Giorgi? I mean, I can't dislike a girl with her looks, but, if I go by your definition of class, she simply does not fit.
Overall, Giorgi and Sloane are the best players in this field, is what I mean..Linette et al are good players, form players, but at their best, Sloane and Giorgi are better .hope they do play up to their capability..

by ashkor87 Peterson is exactly the kind of solid pro Parks will have to learn to deal with as she grows...this time, she couldn't..

by ti-amie Day 7 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

Starts at 12:00 PM

USA C. MCNALLY vs AUS K. BIRRELL
FOLLOWED BY
POL M. LINETTE (1)
vs SWE R. PETERSON
FOLLOWED BY
ITA C. GIORGI vs TBD
FOLLOWED BY
ITA E. COCCIARETTO (7)
vs TBD

Cancha 1
Starts at 12:00 PM

GRE D. PAPAMICHAIL/SUI S. WALTERT vs USA C. MCNALLY/FRA D. PARRY

by ashkor87 Unfortunately ..Sloane vs Giorgi in the next round!

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:50 am Peterson is exactly the kind of solid pro Parks will have to learn to deal with as she grows...this time, she couldn't..
That was the reason I felt that your claim that she would be a Wimby champion one day was a bit premature.
As you say, a solid veteran played what seems to be a routine match (the stats appear that way) and Parks was unable to gain traction. She had a very good week, beating some solid competition (her previous win), and this time, was taken to three sets by a player outside of the 150, and was beaten with relative ease by a 27 yo ranked 140.
The fluctuations are large. And that is what the real good players control best. The level is high, but it does not drop below a certain level.
Let's hope she manages this better in the upcoming tournaments.

by Ainsley Watching this tournament this week, I think the courts play out well for Siniakova. Typically a doubles player if she dictates the paces of the game and gets to the net she can win. Now watch tonight Cocciaretto will run her all over the place and run her right out of the tournament. :)

by ti-amie

Did anyone watch this match?! I mean...what?! :shock:

by ponchi101 In 46 minutes? Was there an injury?

by Ainsley
ti-amie wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:15 am

Did anyone watch this match?! I mean...what?! :shock:
I did watch it. Sloane did not really play an awful match. Camila played a pretty flawless match. Sloane 93% first serve %. Camila 76% first serve %. Now here is the kicker. Sloane 38% win % on 1st serve. Sloane 0% win % on 2nd serve. Camila 86% win % 1st serve. Camila 100% win % 2nd serve.

by dryrunguy
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:24 am In 46 minutes? Was there an injury?
Without question. Sloane was clearly suffering from a brutal case of the Camila Giorgis.

by Deuce The ironic thing is that with the incredible inconsistency and questionable intensity/commitment of these two particular players, the outcome could have just as easily been the exact reverse of what it was, with Sloane winning love and love...

by Ainsley One thing that surprised me is that a Sloan racquet didn't take a beating during this drubbing.

by Suliso How does one go from a GS champion and a steady top 10 player to this before even turning 30? I don't get it...

by ashkor87 well, Sloane's serve is nothing great, and Giorgi's is, I suppose - but amazing nonetheless. Looks like this bagel baking is a global phenomenon.. I did see some highlights of a previous match, the court looks much slower than Dubai, which can explain some lopsided scores but then look at Iga in Dubai !

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:10 am Perhaps Linette is a favorite here. She's in the top 10 in this year's points.
well, the rankings arent predictive - we just saw that!

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:28 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:50 am Peterson is exactly the kind of solid pro Parks will have to learn to deal with as she grows...this time, she couldn't..
That was the reason I felt that your claim that she would be a Wimby champion one day was a bit premature.
As you say, a solid veteran played what seems to be a routine match (the stats appear that way) and Parks was unable to gain traction. She had a very good week, beating some solid competition (her previous win), and this time, was taken to three sets by a player outside of the 150, and was beaten with relative ease by a 27 yo ranked 140.
The fluctuations are large. And that is what the real good players control best. The level is high, but it does not drop below a certain level.
Let's hope she manages this better in the upcoming tournaments.
of course, I take your point. But I never said she is going to win W this year! I mean some day, she has the game, if it develops the way it should. More upside than ... ok, I wont say it.

by Ainsley
Parks has a lot more than just Peterson to figure out and deal with. She cannot just rely on her serve and think that is what will get her through a match or even tournaments. She needs to take the ball much earlier on her ground strokes. There were many times and especially on her backhand that she hit the ball late resulting in an unforced error. The unforced errors will continue to mount up if she does not correct her preparation into her ground strokes. I don't know if it a mechanics thing she has to work on or if it is a problem in her foot work.

by ashkor87 i hadnt observed that.. good to hear from someone who is actually watching the matches

by ponchi101
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:02 pm
Parks has a lot more than just Peterson to figure out and deal with. She cannot just rely on her serve and think that is what will get her through a match or even tournaments. She needs to take the ball much earlier on her ground strokes. There were many times and especially on her backhand that she hit the ball late resulting in an unforced error. The unforced errors will continue to mount up if she does not correct her preparation into her ground strokes. I don't know if it a mechanics thing she has to work on or if it is a problem in her foot work.
What if that is not her style?
During the 90's and with the surge of players like Agassi and Bjorkman (on the serve), that became a mantra. "Take the ball early and on the rise". Seles was the WTA version.
But lately we have seen that that approach is not for everybody. Rafa has been successful taking the ball late and when coming down: his return position is that extreme to give him time. Medvedev has done it too, and there are other players doing it.
Taking the ball early is not as important as taking the ball at your most comfortable point of contact. Edberg could have never taken the ball on the rise; not with that bloody continental grip on his FH. He needed the ball below his shoulder and, again because the grip, he had no issues with very low balls. Agassi was the opposite: low to his FH was a solid play.
I have not seen Parks play. But we are doing the same thing as many people. The week she won the tournament, she was the greatest. She lost now to Peterson? Her whole game has to be revamped.
We need to give people the understanding that in evert match, there will be a loser. And that person simply just had a bad day. Nothing more.

by Ainsley
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:25 pm i hadnt observed that.. good to hear from someone who is actually watching the matches
I haven't watched a lot of Alycia Parks matches, but from what I have seen I have not been too impressed. She does have an impressive serve that is for damn sure. Other than that she has much work to do in her game. Her forehand is average at best and the backhand is not even that in my opinion. The amount of unforced errors she hits is out of this world and this is going up against the likes of Contreras Gomez and Rebecca Peterson. When she takes the court against Iga or Sabalenka or even Jess Pegula she is going to be destroyed.

Her body language and attitude also in my opinion needs a major adjustment. As I stated in the Merida thread when she played Contreras Gomez she had some sort of chip on her shoulder and was exhibiting just an awful on court attitude.

by Ainsley
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:41 pm
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:02 pm
What if that is not her style?
During the 90's and with the surge of players like Agassi and Bjorkman (on the serve), that became a mantra. "Take the ball early and on the rise". Seles was the WTA version.
But lately we have seen that that approach is not for everybody. Rafa has been successful taking the ball late and when coming down: his return position is that extreme to give him time. Medvedev has done it too, and there are other players doing it.
Taking the ball early is not as important as taking the ball at your most comfortable point of contact. Edberg could have never taken the ball on the rise; not with that bloody continental grip on his FH. He needed the ball below his shoulder and, again because the grip, he had no issues with very low balls. Agassi was the opposite: low to his FH was a solid play.
I have not seen Parks play. But we are doing the same thing as many people. The week she won the tournament, she was the greatest. She lost now to Peterson? Her whole game has to be revamped.
We need to give people the understanding that in evert match, there will be a loser. And that person simply just had a bad day. Nothing more.
It could certainly not be her style of play, but the amount of unforced errors she hits from her backhand and forehand is out of this world and much is because of what I see taking the ball late. This could have nothing to do with her mechanics at all and all to do with her footwork. She is quite the tall girl and I really didn't get much of a feelof how she moves around on the court. I just noticed and especially with her backhand she was hitting late quite often which caused many unforced errors.

The match that I really watched with Parks against Contreras Gomez she actually won while still hitting a lot of unforced errors. I didn't get to see the match she lost to Rebecca Peterson although I did see the stats that she made a ton of unforced errors.

by ti-amie Day 8 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

Starts at 07:00 PM

Semifinal
SWE R. PETERSON vs USA C. MCNALLY
FOLLOWED BY
Semifinal
[4] Katerina SINIAKOVA CZE
vs ITA C. GIORGI

by Ainsley
ti-amie wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:25 pm Day 8 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

Starts at 07:00 PM

Semifinal
SWE R. PETERSON vs USA C. MCNALLY
FOLLOWED BY
Semifinal
[4] Katerina SINIAKOVA CZE
vs ITA C. GIORGI
Easily tonight, the Siniakova and Giorgi match could be a final with the way these two are playing.

by mick1303 WTA site continues to disappoint. The surface of the tournament is just "Hard". Indoor or outdoor - it's just such an unimportant detail to them...

by Ainsley I felt so bad for Caty McNally last night. After losing the first set she was up 4-0 in the 2nd set and almost dropped that set , but hung on to win it in a tiebreaker. Then I thought she was going to roll in the 3rd set when she went up once again 4-0 to Peterson, but once again Peterson came back and this time Caty could not hang on and lost the match 6-4 in the 3rd set. It would have been the 1st time Caty reached a Final in singles.

by ti-amie Day 9 Order of Play

Estadio Akron

Starts at 04:30 PM

Final
USA C. MCNALLY/FRA D. PARRY vs CHN X. WANG/TPE F. WU
NOT BEFORE 7:00 PM
Final
SWE R. PETERSON vs ITA C. GIORGI

by Ainsley Is it just me or does Camila Giorgi look like she doesn't sweat during a match? She has gone into a 3rd set in the Mexico heat and she still looks perfect and doesn't look like she is sweating at all.

by Deuce Giorgi's M.O. in life is to always look good, no matter what the circumstance.
That has been the most important element of her life for a while now, and she does everything she can to make sure she keeps looking good.

She might have had the talent to be a top 5 player - but whenever there was any threat of perspiring (I'm sure she never refers to it as 'sweating' - yuck), she would choose to tank the rest of the match rather than begin to perspire.
:D

by Ainsley
Deuce wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:34 am Giorgi's M.O. in life is to always look good, no matter what the circumstance.
That has been the most important element of her life for a while now, and she does everything she can to make sure she keeps looking good.

She might have had the talent to be a top 5 player - but whenever there was any threat of perspiring (I'm sure she never refers to it as 'sweating' - yuck), she would choose to tank the rest of the match rather than begin to perspire.
:D
She does have the talent and she is one of the hardest hitting ladies on the tour. If she can stay consistent she can make waves.

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:13 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:54 pm Giorgi? I mean, I can't dislike a girl with her looks, but, if I go by your definition of class, she simply does not fit.
Overall, Giorgi and Sloane are the best players in this field, is what I mean..Linette et al are good players, form players, but at their best, Sloane and Giorgi are better .hope they do play up to their capability..
Giorgi did, good for her..she is an exciting, attractive player, mid to top of Tier 2 right now..

by ashkor87 interesting bio on Giorgi - she is Jewish, of Argentine descent.. no wonder she enjoyed Mexico! But she hasnt played in Mexico earlier, it seems, which is a surprise too. better late than never, I suppose.

by 3mlm
mick1303 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:50 pm WTA site continues to disappoint. The surface of the tournament is just "Hard". Indoor or outdoor - it's just such an unimportant detail to them...
The only place I could find that information on the WTA site is by pulling up the PDF of the calendar for the year. Beside each tournament name there is an "H", "C" or "G" for the surface. If it is indoor, there is an "I" before the surface letter.

Of course, the calendar only shows tournaments through August right now. What tournaments come after that is not revealed.

by ashkor87 but i wouldnt expect a tournament in Mexico to be indoors at any time of the year?

by mick1303
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:21 am but i wouldnt expect a tournament in Mexico to be indoors at any time of the year?
I did not look closely and thought at first that it was Spanish Merida)) Actually I was there once - visiting Roman ruins.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:21 am but i wouldnt expect a tournament in Mexico to be indoors at any time of the year?
Average temps on winter nights at high altitudes, like Mexico City, are low 40s. And matches in Mexico tend to not start before 4 pm.

by ashkor87 I have been to Merida over the Christmas holidays about a life ago,, it was very pleasant..can't imagine why anyone would want to play indoors.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:38 am
Giorgi did, good for her..she is an exciting, attractive player, mid to top of Tier 2 right now..
You nailed Giorgi, and Stephens went down to Camila, so, yep. Good calls.
As stated above, Giorgi's main purpose in life is to be beautiful. She has excelled at that. Her second goal is to never smile, and only do that in the most extreme circumstances. My GF follows her in IG, where she posts pictures that my GF does NOT allow me to see, under penalty of gauging my eyes out with a hot spoon.

On the serious side: her father was a combatant for Argentina in the Falkland/Malvinas Islands war. A clear case of PTSD, as the man is so intense and borderline scary that a few years ago, if you remember well, during a Camila match, the chair umpire called for security to come to the court because she (the umpire) was worried about HER safety. I have frequently wondered how far Camila would have gone with a more reasonable father by her side.
And let's not even talk about the financial issues.

by ti-amie

She's from Argentina so I'm surprised that she didn't speak Spanish first. She also has that "glow" from perspiring.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:42 pm

She's from Argentina so I'm surprised that she didn't speak Spanish first. She also has that "glow" from perspiring.
That is NOT PERSPIRATION!!! She would not allow that. And it's certainly not Sweat (even more yucky)... It is a special glossy make-up - formulated just for her at a secret location in Italy - that she hastily applied after the match ended so that she would 'glow' during the trophy ceremony.

by Ainsley
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:19 pm

As stated above, Giorgi's main purpose in life is to be beautiful. She has excelled at that. Her second goal is to never smile, and only do that in the most extreme circumstances. My GF follows her in IG, where she posts pictures that my GF does NOT allow me to see, under penalty of gauging my eyes out with a hot spoon.

On the serious side: her father was a combatant for Argentina in the Falkland/Malvinas Islands war. A clear case of PTSD, as the man is so intense and borderline scary that a few years ago, if you remember well, during a Camila match, the chair umpire called for security to come to the court because she (the umpire) was worried about HER safety. I have frequently wondered how far Camila would have gone with a more reasonable father by her side.
Last evening while watching the Giorgi and Peterson Final they kept showing her dad in the stands. He was visibly nervous to the point where you could see him shaking. He was constantly rubbing all over his face in worry as it looked like if he kept that up he was going to rub the skin right off his face.

by ashkor87 And he keeps biting his nails, literally biting.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:19 pm

True, but I imagine the family had a difficult time financing her career..so he had to do many shady things..the Italian federation is probably not wealthy or supportive? Though I don't know anything about that

by ti-amie After finding out that she's actually Argentinian (is that right?) I would guess that the Italian Federation financed her. She's publicly dating Tabilo now too by the way.

by ashkor87 well, it is not Giorgi's fault she is beautiful! I dont see her acting like, say, Kournikova - she seems professional enough - something I always admired in Sharapova as well...maybe people here have seen something I haven't.

by Ainsley
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:56 am well, it is not Giorgi's fault she is beautiful! I dont see her acting like, say, Kournikova - she seems professional enough - something I always admired in Sharapova as well...maybe people here have seen something I haven't.
I don't see her at all being arrogant at all with her beauty. Sure she is beautiful and I think she should do everything possible to bring that beauty out. Whether that is with fashion or make up or whatever. I would say that with any of the players on tour. Always be positive with yourself and your body and who you are. I really think she is and I think that is great.

by Suliso Beautiful? Middle of the pack I'd say actually. She just likes to wear as little as possible.

by ashkor87 I don't even want to go there!