With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: '23 Wimbledon Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

Ed Salmon
@fogmount@mas.to
Play on the outside courts at #Wimbledon is suspended due to darkness.

Hanfmann and Fritz are at 4-6 6-2 6-4 5-7 *2-3;
Bautista Agut leads Safiullin, 6-2 6-7 7-6;
Halys leads Evans, 6-2 6-3;
Zapata Miralles leads Etcheverry, 7-6 7-5 3-6;
Collins leads Grabher, 6-4;
Mayot leads Bonzi, 6-3 5-3*;
Pella leads Coric, 6-3 4-4;
Albot leads Shapovalov, 7-5 2-2.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Evert's comment about Kenin's level of play was not well thought out.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Waiting for the revisions to tomorrows order of play.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:40 pm Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).
Chrissie called it the "match of Kenin's life" and that she played better than she did to win the Australian. I'm not so sure... I watched most of this match and remember Australia. She played so well to beat Muguruza in the final.

It's lovely to see Kenin back in form. She picked on Coco's FH. It was a high-quality match.

It has to suck when your sponsors build campaigns around you and you disappoint them in the first round. And I'm sure she knows her sponsors and team are waiting for her to win a Slam. At least she has broken through to the final. But R1 stings. Bad draw but Coco could have won the match.
There's so much talk of Coco's forehand, I bet it's so far in her head right now, you'd be a fool not to pick on it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:47 pm Who makes tennis look easy to you? For me, it's Kenin. So smooth, smart and instinctual when she is on. I'm enjoying this Gauff match.
Yes, Kenin is a natural...her ability to take the ball on the rise is astounding..she oozes class. I am not surprised she beat Coco..
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Are we ever going to see Venus play here again? When do the wildcards run out?
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Williams has unlimited wildcards as she won 7 Slams
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:11 pm Evert's comment about Kenin's level of play was not well thought out.
She doubled down on it. Her partner said, "Even better than in Australia?" and she paused and said, "Yes."
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:57 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:40 pm Out goes Coco. Not particularly surprising given the opponent. Also so far grass is her weakest surface (statistically).
Chrissie called it the "match of Kenin's life" and that she played better than she did to win the Australian. I'm not so sure... I watched most of this match and remember Australia. She played so well to beat Muguruza in the final.

It's lovely to see Kenin back in form. She picked on Coco's FH. It was a high-quality match.

It has to suck when your sponsors build campaigns around you and you disappoint them in the first round. And I'm sure she knows her sponsors and team are waiting for her to win a Slam. At least she has broken through to the final. But R1 stings. Bad draw but Coco could have won the match.
There's so much talk of Coco's forehand, I bet it's so far in her head right now, you'd be a fool not to pick on it.
Stubbs and Shriver did a great analysis of it after the match, with a racket for demo. Stubbs believes the problem is her wide stance more than the grip. She says the grip is tricky, but Iga handles it well because she accellerates through the shot, whereas Coco doesn't from her wide base. Stubbs says once Coco lands in her wide base, she gets stagnant and doesn't get enough racket head speed and struggles to time it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

actually, I think Evert's comments are easy to understand - when you have gone on record saying Coco is great, you are forced to justify yourself with all these excuses... I have stopped playing SP for exactly this reason - I get too focused on how my picks are doing, rather than enjoying the tennis itself..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:39 am

Stubbs and Shriver did a great analysis of it after the match, with a racket for demo. Stubbs believes the problem is her wide stance more than the grip. She says the grip is tricky, but Iga handles it well because she accellerates through the shot, whereas Coco doesn't from her wide base. Stubbs says once Coco lands in her wide base, she gets stagnant and doesn't get enough racket head speed and struggles to time it.
that is a pretty good analysis, actually - when Coco hits her forehand, she doesnt give herself enough room to get racket head speed - that is another way of describing it.