'24 Wimbledon Day 7 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '24 Wimbledon Day 7 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

Navs said that, ages ago. The one thing you can control 100%. Make sure that the physical part is never in doubt, when you are playing.
I really like Navarro's FH. Super fluid, perfect form. Like her attitude too.
Needs to improve the 2nd serve.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:53 pm Navarro may or may not win this match, but her improvement this year is incredible. Started with fitness. Other players could do the same. Tip-top, optimum, maximized fitness should be the norm. They can control it, for the most part.
Definitely, albeit if fitness was the only component Sakkari would be winning Slams left and right... I still think Gauff will win this match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nobody is saying that fitness will just win you the match. Had it been so, Amanda Coetzer would hold multiple slams. But fitness is like belief. Belief will not win you a slam. But not believing will always stop you.
Not being fit will hold you back so much.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Coco has started to make all the wrong choices
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:59 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:53 pm Navarro may or may not win this match, but her improvement this year is incredible. Started with fitness. Other players could do the same. Tip-top, optimum, maximized fitness should be the norm. They can control it, for the most part.
Definitely, albeit if fitness was the only component Sakkari would be winning Slams left and right... I still think Gauff will win this match.
Of course, fitness alone won't cut it. But they shouldn't leave anything on the table when it comes to fitness, and I think a lot of players do. Even that last 5%. Can make a difference.

Still think Gauff wins, down a set and a break? She has been dismal this set. I like Navarro, but she's no Sabalenka or Iga. Coco should be able to beat her.
JTContinental wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:05 pm Coco has started to make all the wrong choices
Imploring Brad to coach her, too.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Cori was pressing/rushing most of the first set. Navarro is also the first real test Gauff has had this tournament.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Once Raducanu snubed Andy, it was almost inevitable that she would lose.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:16 pm Cori was pressing/rushing most of the first set. Navarro is also the first real test Gauff has had this tournament.
Dismal performance from Gauff with opportunity aplenty. Terrible forehand. How can a top player has a FH this unstable?
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

I don't even know what to say about Coco's mental meltdown there. All kudos to Navarro. The improvement is crazy.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

SO bummed that Emma R. and Rajeev/Joe lost. UGGHHHHH.

BUT, Shelton and McDonald played great to finally win their R1 doubles match.

Emma N. just showed us all a clinic on how to beat Coco on grass. VERY impressive, and it was fun to watch her play so beautifully.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:30 pm I don't even know what to say about Coco's mental meltdown there. All kudos to Navarro. The improvement is crazy.
Players have GOT to stop looking at their coaching teams during matches. Period. Figure it out.

Look, Coco is 20 years old, so I can't beat up on her. But, she must unlearn this very, very quickly.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

nelslus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:37 pm
texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:30 pm I don't even know what to say about Coco's mental meltdown there. All kudos to Navarro. The improvement is crazy.
Players have GOT to stop looking at their coaching teams during matches. Period. Figure it out.

Look, Coco is 20 years old, so I can't beat up on her. But, she must unlearn this very, very quickly.
Agreed. I found it interesting that the commentators seemed surprised that Coco was doing that. I feel like I've seen her do that multiple times before when things weren't going her way. It was not new behavior for Coco.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:28 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:16 pm Cori was pressing/rushing most of the first set. Navarro is also the first real test Gauff has had this tournament.
Dismal performance from Gauff with opportunity aplenty. Terrible forehand. How can a top player has a FH this unstable?
Coco's forehand and serves held up in the SF and F of last year's US Open.

Thing is, Venus always was going to be vulnerable with her forehands and second serves. If she had managed to fix those problems areas- and, LOL, if her sister wasn't around- who knows how many singles Slam titles V could have won. But, hey- 7 singles Slam titles is a pretty nice consolation prize.

Another issue I can think of with a weakness with a great player- BJK''s forehand volleys could be very vulnerable. She did improve in this area as of the early-mid 1970's. But, that was a place one could pressure BJK.

It will be interesting to see if Coco can consistently improve these problem areas- or, at least, improve enough to have a V-level career.

Post by nelslus »

texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:42 pm
nelslus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:37 pm

Agreed. I found it interesting that the commentators seemed surprised that Coco was doing that. I feel like I've seen her do that multiple times before when things weren't going her way. It was not new behavior for Coco.
100%.

BTW, concerning all players- not directed at Coco in this case, or Madison Keys- if I were a coach, if I were to see my player crying before a match is over- I am walking out. NEVER show that you are giving up. Once the match is over- cry as much as you want- or any other emotions you need to let out.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Coco, just like Swiatek, is always going to struggle on grass. It is amazing how the commentators discount her ridiculous forehand grip as a factor. It just won't work.

As for Navarro, her win over Shnaider was more impressive than her wins over Osaka or Gauff, and I'm not posting this to be different. It is the truth. Shnaider had just beaten her on grass and was playing with tremendous self-belief and excellent shot- making.