'24 Wimbledon Day 11 Order of Play & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '24 Wimbledon Day 11 Order of Play & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

I picked the eight women's quarterfinalists on another site before the tournament started and got zero right. Nada.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Yup, as I have already said. Petra Lite. I KNEW she would find a way to lose.

This is just such a sad loss. Rybankina CAN play great grass court tennis. BUT, like Petra- they just keep finding ways to lose. Against any player that actually gets them to think.....AND, they stick with coaches forever without getting the best coaches for them. LOL, truly, I hate having favorite players.
Last edited by nelslus on Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:37 pm I picked the eight women's quarterfinalists on another site before the tournament started and got zero right. Nada.
At least I put one vote in for Ms. Other.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Funny final... Absolutely unexpected. I suppose Krejcikova is a favorite, but more lucky breaks for Paolini could happen.

Post by nelslus »

On a positive note- if Krejcikova wins- and with the standards the way that they are- this should get her in the HOF.

Post by jazzyg »

I think Paolini is the favorite. She played her worst match of the tournament today and still found a way to win.

Close call on the final, though.

Post by nelslus »

....Paolini wins- she's just then delayed for the HOF until she wins this year's US Open. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:00 pm I think Paolini is the favorite. She played her worst match of the tournament today and still found a way to win.

Close call on the final, though.
I mean, Krejcikova has the experience winning Slam titles. That should mean something.....right......

I swear, I have expected SOMEONE to step up and take Paolini out. She's 2 feet tall for cryin' out loud, and this IS grass, right....SO, how did all of THAT work out..... :lol:

AND somewhere, Lulu is crying over what could have been.

Post by jazzyg »

Davenport just picked Krejcikova because she likes to get to the net.

That's an example of somebody (and I like Davenport usually) going on preconceived notions and not watching what is actually happening on the court. Paolini comes to net more often than Krejcikova and is more comfortable when she gets there. She had a hard time getting to the net against Vekic because of Vekic's power, but that will not be the case Saturday. Does not mean she will win, but the idea she just retrieves and plays clay court tennis on grass is loony if you have watched her matches at Wimbledon.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:28 pm Davenport just picked Krejcikova because she likes to get to the net.

That's an example of somebody (and I like Davenport usually) going on preconceived notions and not watching what is actually happening on the court. Paolini comes to net more often than Krejcikova and is more comfortable when she gets there. She had a hard time getting to the net against Vekic because of Vekic's power, but that will not be the case Saturday. Does not mean she will win, but the idea she just retrieves and plays clay court tennis on grass is loony if you have watched her matches at Wimbledon.
On the money.
I am surprised that people like Davenport can't see that a net game is not needed nowadays to win on ANY surface. The "bunt-it-back" passing shot has become a normal stroke for everybody.
I like Paolini to win because she truly does not get down on herself. Vekic handed her the match today, with that openly "I am super nervous" attitude. Paolini simple needed to keep the ball back.

As for Rybakina. What Nelslus said. She may get a second slam one of these days, because of her serve and power. But she is becoming an Ostapenko. Blasting balls for one set and a half, and then, the percentages bring her back to earth. So difficult to be her fan.
(I am switching to Navarro. Which I know makes no sense, but there you go).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The person who posted this (Stephanie Myles) circled the BP's but look at the UFE's for Vekic as well as the serving percentages for both Vekic and Paolini.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:08 pm
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:28 pm Davenport just picked Krejcikova because she likes to get to the net.

On the money.
I am surprised that people like Davenport can't see that a net game is not needed nowadays to win on ANY surface. The "bunt-it-back" passing shot has become a normal stroke for everybody.
I like Paolini to win because she truly does not get down on herself. Vekic handed her the match today, with that openly "I am super nervous" attitude. Paolini simple needed to keep the ball back.

As for Rybakina. What Nelslus said. She may get a second slam one of these days, because of her serve and power. But she is becoming an Ostapenko. Blasting balls for one set and a half, and then, the percentages bring her back to earth. So difficult to be her fan.
(I am switching to Navarro. Which I know makes no sense, but there you go).
I could be misremembering but the best match Rybakina played that I've seen was with the roof closed and she serve botted Leylah (I think) off the court. With the roof open and someone who was going to be able to handle what she was putting down I'm a bit surprised but not shocked that Jasmine won this one. Rybakina's movement is also not the best. She reminds me more of Hantuchova than anyone else. She needs to take control of the match from the baseline and then move when she wants not because her opponent is making her move.

As for the ESPN commentators the less said the better. I'm going to give Lindsay the benefit of the doubt since her son is going deep in the Junior tournament and she may be a bit distracted. What a shame they haven't brought Chanda Rubin and Jim Courier over to provide real commentary for the casual fan and the tennisheads as well. Let Chris Eubanks come along for the ride as well.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:59 pm On a positive note- if Krejcikova wins- and with the standards the way that they are- this should get her in the HOF.
Grand Slam Titles:
Singles: 1
Doubles: 7
Mixed: 3

Doubles World #1

She's in the Hall of Fame already.

Post by nelslus »

skatingfan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:52 pm
nelslus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:59 pm On a positive note- if Krejcikova wins- and with the standards the way that they are- this should get her in the HOF.
Grand Slam Titles:
Singles: 1
Doubles: 7
Mixed: 3

Doubles World #1

She's in the Hall of Fame already.
Not definitely yet as a singles player, IMO. They don't always count in doubles Slam wins- although, sometimes, they do. Helen Sukova being an example- no singles Slam titles. But, she has a total of 14 doubles and mixed doubles Slam titles. I am not sure Krejcikova would get in yet. Win Wimbledon singles- and she is almost definitely in.