by dave g This is where all the hopes of surviving the suicide draw pools come to die.
This is where we drown our sorrows after our picks decide to fall on their tennis racquets. ;)
Feel free to come here and commiserate with others that are sharing your fate.

Note: Traditionally we have a "Jukebox from Hell" selection on this thread, but I do not have a repertoire of appropriate music. If someone else does have the appropriate music, please feel free to post it to this thread.

by ponchi101 Selected music for NYC (Sunday brunch edition, for a mellow afternoon):

by dollymix I picked Ann Li, which means the very first completed match of the tournament knocked me out. Do I get some kind of honorable mention for that?

by dave g
dollymix wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:44 pm I picked Ann Li, which means the very first completed match of the tournament knocked me out. Do I get some kind of honorable mention for that?
I know it was hard for someone to find a way to get knocked out before you did, but someone managed. On the men's side, someone managed to pick someone from a Day 2 match, and therefore was knocked out when the first players walked onto the court. :roll:

by JTContinental
dollymix wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:44 pm I picked Ann Li, which means the very first completed match of the tournament knocked me out. Do I get some kind of honorable mention for that?
For that pick, I'm afraid you get a dishonorable mention... :D

by ponchi101
Tell us the name of how you want your medal to be named. Seeing your name, I would not mind calling it "The Dolly". ;)
What a bummer, Dollymix. Hope you will do better in the men's :thumbsup:

by aidsasis
JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:56 pm
Maybe they're an older fan and thought Li Na was still playing...

by dollymix
aidsasis wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:26 pm
JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:56 pm
Maybe they're an older fan and thought Li Na was still playing...
Haha, I knew which Li I was picking - I have no excuses! I was also considering Putintseva and Sherif, so clearly all my instincts were wrong - apologies in advance to anyone who picked Paolini, my other option.

by dollymix And then my other pick Marin Cilic, in his 840th-or-so career match, retires for the first time in his career, after giving up a two-sets-to-love lead. At least I've freed up some time the rest of the week!

by ponchi101 Enough time to find the witch that put that curse on you. What a day!

by ponchi101 And Foki, slowly, is getting his butt kicked and bringing 16 of us closer to the edge of the cliff, because, you know, he has never met a dog he would like to put down. And he is not going to take care of Trungeletti like he should.

by motobass Oh my. What was I thinking? Putintseva lost to Kanepi and I am back in the lounge. Do we still get drinks in here? Vodka martini anyone?

by ponchi101 I really do hate to lose in the first day.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
What can you tell a person whose nickname is FOKI? I wonder...

by dave g I am trying to figure out if I hate losing on the first day or if I like losing on the first day; one less thing to do during a busy time.

p.s. I did lose on the first day on the men's side.

by nelslus ....Meanwhile, ****'in Sonego, who ALMOST blew a 5-0 first set tiebreaker lead- managed to lose the second and third sets after being up breaks in both sets. AND, he's had the mandatory MTO in the third set already.

See y'all soon. :o

by nelslus
nelslus wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:01 pm ....Meanwhile, ****'in Sonego, who ALMOST blew a 5-0 first set tiebreaker lead- managed to lose the second and third sets after being up breaks in both sets. AND, he's had the mandatory MTO in the third set already.

See y'all soon. :o
WELL, at least the moron (who is very, very easy on the eyes- but, nevertheless, is still a moron) managed to mix things up....by blowing a TWO break lead in the 4th set. And, he actually managed to sqeak by enough to serve for the fourth set- only to, among other errors, double fault twice.

LOL, I HATE!!!! making these picks so many days. We all have to pick among so many head-cases. :?

by motobass Wow. I suck at this! Double-cheeked in the first round.

by ponchi101 Incoming!!!!!!!
J L Struff strikes again. Table for 28 :ax

by New England Nitemare Oh, well that was a short stay in the men's pool. I thought I was possibly picking Carreno Busta too early....ugh. I'll take a rum and Coke....very heavy on the rum, please!!!!

by Rip8aces You know it's not your suicide pool when you get knocked out by a player ranked #716 (Svajda) over a former #16 ranked player (Cecchinato) !!!

by Fastbackss
Rip8aces wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:43 am You know it's not your suicide pool when you get knocked out by a player ranked #716 (Svajda) over a former #16 ranked player (Cecchinato) !!!
Vegas clearly knew something we didn't because the odds going into this match did not add up at all...

by WebTickets.com Out in Round 2, what a loser, Fucs Marton Fucsovics, could have bet Seppi at +525, and since I no longer wager real money, this will go a long way towards me now losing interest in the rest of the tournament.

Oh well, let's see how long I last with the ladies...Not long if you ask the ladies that have been with me....Ba Dum Tss...thank you, please do not forget to tip your servers.

by ponchi101 Nakashima invites 13 people to this lonesome place. After going up 2-1 in sets.
Man, that was a bummer :ax:

by Jeff from TX
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:45 pm Nakashima invites 13 people to this lonesome place. After going up 2-1 in sets.
Man, that was a bummer :ax:
Indeed. Whiskey. Make it a double. Especially since choices 2 and 3 both won. Will Brandon be picking up the tab for our table of 13?

by ponchi101 I mean, I know this is just s game, and you want to pretend you are an adult and this really means nothing, but you pick somebody that is literally ranked 100 points over her opponent and she gets plastered 4 & 1?
Don't even bother with a drink, bring me a rope. That was ridiculous. Out of both pools because of qualifiers, one of them a lucky loser. A rope, a gun, arsenic and a gas oven, if you don't mind.

by Improbabledream Dimitrov peeing down his leg WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN

by mmmm8
Improbabledream wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:29 am Dimitrov peeing down his leg WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN
Sorry, that is an expression I don't know, or did I miss something?

by mmmm8
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:48 pm I mean, I know this is just s game, and you want to pretend you are an adult and this really means nothing, but you pick somebody that is literally ranked 100 points over her opponent and she gets plastered 4 & 1?
Don't even bother with a drink, bring me a rope. That was ridiculous. Out of both pools because of qualifiers, one of them a lucky loser. A rope, a gun, arsenic and a gas oven, if you don't mind.
Alexandrova? I was there. You can at least be assured that she looked as miserable as you feel. Very bad day for her.

by Fastbackss Been a while since I lost on a "later" pick than an earlier one. In this case my day 3 match got postponed to late day 4, so I had to make a pick anyway - and she promptly lost before the day 3 was played

by joanjettson I chose Ruud because his name was easy to type and he's top ten, what could go wrong?

by ponchi101 A solid pick that blew up in your face. How many times we have gone through something like that? :cry:

by WebTickets.com Thanks to Ons Jabeur I am now out of both the men's and ladies polls and can get back to my life a little earlier than usual.

But I am learning more about how to read my gut instincts. Before I made the losing picks in both draws I was feeling I was making a mistake but then decided, nope, that is a trick, ignore it, as it is my confirmation that I am making the right pick. Nope, just go with the first instinct.

Of course, LOL, will I remember this insight?

by ponchi101 That was another solid pick that simply did not work out. Nothing more. Good showing :clap:

by ponchi101 And Fernandez takes down 31 of you. I am so sorry, we might not have all the beer you may need :cry:

by naughtyT I didn't pick Kerber because I thought she was a contender for the title... hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

by ponchi101 Good move, but now it looks like Sabalenka might do you in, in not beating the draw. But by now, this is becoming a true game of chance. Good luck.

by naughtyT Ugh I hate that I chose a player I really dislike because it seemed the sensible choice. I hate myself....and (expletive).

by ashkor87 me too.. chose Halep though I dont really like her, and Svitolina took her out.. grrr! trying to be strategic or tactical or something...still, lasted longer than I usually do, so am happy.. still alive in the Men's, which is a real surprise, I dont even follow them that much - I mean, Djokovic always wins, so what is the point, really?

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 am ...still alive in the Men's, which is a real surprise, I dont even follow them that much - I mean, Djokovic always wins, so what is the point, really?
If you are a Novak fan, a lot. If you are not, hoping he loses ;)