Men's Singles • Round 1
F. Delbonis vs P. Martinez

Women's Singles • Round 1
A. Van Uytvanck vs C. Bucsa Q

Women's Singles • Round 1
A. Schmiedlova vs J. Ostapenko 26

Men's Singles • Round 1
M. Kukushkin Q vs T. Paul

by ponchi101 Anisimova through, after dropping the first set and almost sending me to the ER once again :sweat:

by ponchi101 Cami playing well, but not enough. She had two break points to get back on serve, but couldn't.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Cami playing well, but not enough. She had two break points to get back on serve, but couldn't.
Osaka’s serve bailed her out. Good test for Osaka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101 A good match for Camila. 3&3 Vs Naomi at the Aussie is not bad. Not good, but nothing to be ashamed of.

by Deuce Osaka almost decapitated the chair umpire in the last minutes of that match...
I had just tuned into the match and that happened right away - she was just late on a shot, and it went right at the chair. Naomi was saying "SORRY! SORRY!" before the ball even hit the chair.
I recognized the umpire was Kasia Radwan, whom I had a nice chat with a couple of years ago at a Challenger. She was very nice - so I'm happy that Osaka didn't kill her.
She has her gold badge now - good on her. Of course, it doesn't hurt that she's married to one of the people in charge of officials :) .

Meanwhile, Shapovalov tried his best to blow his match vs. Djere, but couldn't quite accomplish it. Denis won the 1st 2 sets, played terribly in the 3rd, was up 5-2 in the 4th, and had to go to a tiebreak to win it.

by martini4me Berrettini was suffering from some sort of abdominal problem during his match (muscle pull? internal?), but seemed to overcome it to defeat Nakashima in four sets.

by ponchi101 The first set between Pedro Martinez and Delbonis lasted 98 minutes.

by JTContinental Yet another retirement when down big late in the third set for Yastremska. She has the worst luck with that.

by Deuce Gauff is in serious trouble, down a set and 2 breaks to Wang (0-4). And she's not looking good.
Wang is also playing well.
Cori will have to dig really deep to pull this one out...

by Deuce Wang choked away her serve when serving for the match at 5-0...
Then Cori had a tough service game where she saved some match points before finally holding.

I started watching midway through the 1st set.
Cori really wasn't playing well. She was sort of finding her game toward the end of the match - but by then it was too late, even with Wang's nervousness. Cori was also stubborn to the end, insisting on going blow-for-blow with Wang, rather than changing things up with more variety to take Wang's rhythm away. She tried only her second drop shot of the match in the last game - it failed, and it gave Wang match point, which she converted.

Not a good outing at all for Gauff - especially after having looked really good and making mature on court adjustments and decisions at times last week. She's similar to Felix in that it's one step forward, then 2 steps back... then 3 steps forward and 1 step back... To be expected with the youngsters.
She'll be fine, though. Hell, none of us won a Major at 17 years old, either...

by Suliso True, but this Australian season has been mediocre for her. Only three wins in three tournaments.

by jazzyg Gauff has technical deficiencies in her forehand, misses shots by wider margins than anyone in the top 40 and has a balky second serve, even on her good days.

She has plenty of time to fix all of those shortcomings, but her game as it stands now is nowhere near as good as the commentators (and not just American ones, it's every announcer I've ever heard call one of her matches) say it is.

by jazzyg Hurkacz hit the shot of the day and what may end up being the shot of the tournament for its entire two weeks to break Gerasimov before serving out his four-set win.

Apparently the entire match was scratchy, but he hit an approach shot and Gerasimov hit a bullet pass down the line that Hurkacz dove for and volleyed just inside the sideline crosscourt for the break. When the ball left Gerasimov's racquet, I did not think there was any way Hurkacz would even touch it. He also landed smoothly on the hardcourt without getting hurt in the slightest.

by Suliso Keys over Kenin was indeed an easy call. :)

by Deuce It was a close match - 7-6, 7-5.

by Suliso Image

by Deuce I know :) ... but it was still close in that the 1st set went to the limit, and the 2nd was tied at 5.
So... while Keys was in control throughout (I don't think she was ever behind), both players had a chance to win each set.

by Suliso It was close definitely and Kenin played better than I expected. Still despite the seeding in my mind Keys was the pre match favorite.

by Deuce Depends who you asked pre-match...
During the telecast, their graphic had Kenin at 70% to win. I don't know what - or who - they measured to reach that. After the 1st set, they showed that it had almost completely reversed to Keys being favoured to win by almost 70%.

Kenin hasn't done much in the past year - but she also didn't play for the last half of it, so it's difficult to assess her level.
Keys looked good last week, and says she feels rejuvenated - but she is definitely prone to ups and downs...

by Liamvalid Karatsev in trouble against Munar, and Kokkinakis out-don’t these people know the curse of winning a tournament the week before a slam?

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 am It was close definitely and Kenin played better than I expected. Still despite the seeding in my mind Keys was the pre match favorite.
You called it after the Adelaide final. Keys is playing good tennis right not. As she now inherits Kenin's draw, a path to the QF is not unthinkable.

by ashkor87 Gauff seemed a bit lost .does not have the power to hit through this medium-paced court, nor the variety to win any other way...

by ashkor87 Keys, on the other hand does, and she is controlling her power admirably these past couple weeks..should go far here...

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:A good match for Camila. 3&3 Vs Naomi at the Aussie is not bad. Not good, but nothing to be ashamed of.
She competed well. Seemed to believe she could win. Very good showing.

by MJ2004
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm
ponchi101 wrote:A good match for Camila. 3&3 Vs Naomi at the Aussie is not bad. Not good, but nothing to be ashamed of.
She competed well. Seemed to believe she could win. Very good showing.

Yes, but Camila yelling after so many points, particular the ones in which Naomi hit it out, was a bit much for me.

by ponchi101
MJ2004 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:36 pm ...

Yes, but Camila yelling after so many points, particular the ones in which Naomi hit it out, was a bit much for me.
Oh, then she is not the girl for you. She does that ALL the time and will indeed celebrate her opponent's errors. It is also a bit uncalled for me, which means she will never be a fave. Her celebrations are too much for my taste.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 pm hen she is not the girl for you. She does that ALL the time and will indeed celebrate her opponent's errors. It is also a bit uncalled for me, which means she will never be a fave. Her celebrations are too much for my
It's a bit of a turn-off for me, too. Maybe she'll tone it down.
Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:19 am It was close definitely and Kenin played better than I expected. Still despite the seeding in my mind Keys was the pre match favorite.
100%, based on form. Maddy had a good offseason.
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm Gauff seemed a bit lost .does not have the power to hit through this medium-paced court, nor the variety to win any other way...
You are court-speed-obsessed. :) Very disappointing result for Gauff. Q Wang is no joke - US Open quarterfinalist a few years ago - but still, 4 and 2 doesn't sound very competitive.

by ponchi101 It wasn't. Coco tried to hit THROUGH Wang, with lots of power, and Wang was able to use it to her advantage. Lots of points were rallies in which they were both blasting balls until eventually one would hit out. Coco did most of the last.

by jazzyg Megan,

Great minds think alike ... and so do ours. We were two of the three people who picked Opelka over Anderson in the suicide pool.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:59 pm Megan,

Great minds think alike ... and so do ours. We were two of the three people who picked Opelka over Anderson in the suicide pool.
Nice!!! And shew! :) Opelka's better than I thought, I guess. Several others I was considering lost, namely Harris and Fucsovics. Who'd you take for Day 2? I took Grigor.

by jazzyg
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Nice!!! And shew! :) Opelka's better than I thought, I guess. Several others I was considering lost, namely Harris and Fucsovics. Who'd you take for Day 2? I took Grigor.
Have not made my pick. I would have picked Harris yesterday if i had not had time to do research. That was my initial thought, but when I looked at his lack of recent results and his opponent's good recent results, I stayed away. Had a harder time making a first-day pick than any pool I can remember. Every match I considered made me nervous when I looked at recent results.

I won't do it because it never works to try to be the smartest person in the room, but one reason I picked Opelka was I expect him to lose his next match. He has played eight sets against Koepfer at tour-level events and lost them all, including two slams, and only reached two tiebreaks. Koepfer has an elite return of serve and puts Opelka in a trance with his variety. But if I picked Koepfer, that would be the day Opelka served 30 aces and won in straights.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:29 pm

Have not made my pick. I would have picked Harris yesterday if i had not had time to do research. That was my initial thought, but when I looked at his lack of recent results and his opponent's good recent results, I stayed away. Had a harder time making a first-day pick than any pool I can remember. Every match I considered made me nervous when I looked at recent results.

I won't do it because it never works to try to be the smartest person in the room, but one reason I picked Opelka was I expect him to lose his next match. He has played eight sets against Koepfer at tour-level events and lost them all, including two slams, and only reached two tiebreaks. Koepfer has an elite return of serve and puts Opelka in a trance with his variety. But if I picked Koepfer, that would be the day Opelka served 30 aces and won in straights.
That in some impressive analysis! I often look at the section to see if this is the last "good/safe" time to pick someone, knowing their next match or two would be a toss-up before they would face a top seed. I don't look at H2H anymore or many recent results. I usually pick people who have been playing well and have a favorable matchup. Anderson won Newport last year but nothing came easy for him at the US Open, and I know Opelka is more than a serve, so I just took a gamble. I'm impressed with your analysis of Koepfer vs Opelka regarding return and variety. I'd never have picked up on those things. I wish I could read the game that well. I didn't enter the women's SP because it opened up later than the men's and I forgot. So all my hopes are on the men.

by jazzyg Only reason I know that is I have written multiple stories on Koepfer since he attended Tulane, the school I cover as a journalist. He is the only player on either tour whom I know personally.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:Only reason I know that is I have written multiple stories on Koepfer since he attended Tulane, the school I cover as a journalist. He is the only player on either tour whom I know personally.
Who do you write for?

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:44 pm It wasn't. Coco tried to hit THROUGH Wang, with lots of power, and Wang was able to use it to her advantage. Lots of points were rallies in which they were both blasting balls until eventually one would hit out. Coco did most of the last.
Yes..perhaps Coco simply isn't good enough yet...needs to learn a few other dimensions of the game...

by ti-amie I was surprised to see Cori lost but she was struggling a bit at the tournaments she finished prior to the start of the AO. She's been on the tour for a long time but she's still only 17. It may be a blessing that she hasn't won anything big yet so she'll keep working on improving her game.

by jazzyg
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 pm
jazzyg wrote:Only reason I know that is I have written multiple stories on Koepfer since he attended Tulane, the school I cover as a journalist. He is the only player on either tour whom I know personally.
Who do you write for?

Nola.com/Times-Picayune in New Orleans.

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 am I was surprised to see Cori lost but she was struggling a bit at the tournaments she finished prior to the start of the AO. She's been on the tour for a long time but she's still only 17. It may be a blessing that she hasn't won anything big yet so she'll keep working on improving her game.
Just hope she doesn't get lapped...! These slow and steady types do, sometimes

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 pm
Who do you write for?

Nola.com/Times-Picayune in New Orleans.
I think I knew that. We have talked about this before, right? Are you a sports writer, news, features, editor…?

by jazzyg Sports writer.