Court 14

Day session - From 7:00pm EST

Junior Boys' Singles • Round 3
B. Kuzuhara 1 vs L. Midon 16

Junior Girls' Singles • Round 3
E. Khayrutdinova vs C. Kuhl

Junior Boys' Doubles • Quarterfinals
N. Ciavarella/D. Minighini vs B. Kuzuhara 2/C. Wong 2

by JazzNU I missed that Sebastian Grosjean was in Cornet's camp these days. Good to see him.

by ashkor87 Cornet struggling with the heat, as expected...these poor Europeans..!

by JazzNU This could've been interesting if the heat wasn't affecting Alize so much. Danielle looks like it's just another day with regards to the weather. It could possibly affect her if this went long, but we're nowhere near seeming like it will.

by dmforever I know that Collins rubs a lot of people the wrong way because of her intensity and in your facedness, but I actually find her very endearing. I've heard two post match interviews in which she has gone way out of her way to thank people like facility people and the on site doctors and other people who take care of the athletes but who are very rarely recognized. I know that she grew up playing in public parks, and her complete lack of entitlement is very very refreshing.

OK, on to more matches.

Kevin

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:10 am I know that Collins rubs a lot of people the wrong way because of her intensity and in your facedness, but I actually find her very endearing. I've heard two post match interviews in which she has gone way out of her way to thank people like facility people and the on site doctors and other people who take care of the athletes but who are very rarely recognized. I know that she grew up playing in public parks, and her complete lack of entitlement is very very refreshing.

OK, on to more matches.

Kevin
Outside of the one incident, I don't think most have an issue with her off the court. She's not as good of friends with the other players from what I've seen, but that's seems to be about taking a different path to the pros and not knowing them as well, but when she's with them like when she's playing Fed Cup, she seems to get along with everyone fine. I don't think she's actually an unlikable person, just not the easiest player to like.

And I don't think the problem with her on-court is just about her intensity, there's been quite a high level of poor sportsmanship on more than several occasions.

by ponchi101
dmforever wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:10 am I know that Collins rubs a lot of people the wrong way because of her intensity and in your facedness, but I actually find her very endearing. I've heard two post match interviews in which she has gone way out of her way to thank people like facility people and the on site doctors and other people who take care of the athletes but who are very rarely recognized. I know that she grew up playing in public parks, and her complete lack of entitlement is very very refreshing.

OK, on to more matches.

Kevin
But you said it. It is while she is on court that she is annoying. Outside, she has always been very nice, as you say.
But I find it hard to separate the personas.

by meganfernandez
dmforever wrote:I know that Collins rubs a lot of people the wrong way because of her intensity and in your facedness, but I actually find her very endearing. I've heard two post match interviews in which she has gone way out of her way to thank people like facility people and the on site doctors and other people who take care of the athletes but who are very rarely recognized. I know that she grew up playing in public parks, and her complete lack of entitlement is very very refreshing.

OK, on to more matches.

Kevin
I’ve changed my tune on Collins. Used to hate her obnoxiousness, but I haven’t seen much of it lately, and she is endearing off the court. Her health struggles mellowed my impression of her. I liked her NCAA pedigree. I like a gritty fighter, so as long as she keeps the obnoxiousness to a low level, I kinda like Collins, too. Not embarrassed to say it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Deuce Have Collins and CoCo Vandeweghe ever played doubles together?
I gather that they'd either get along like best friends, or they'd kill each other long before the match was over.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Deuce To say that Kanepi is not very good with match points and set points would be an understatement...

by ashkor87 Kanepi showing the value of power on a slowish court! Swiatek's spins just sit up and beg to be hit..

by ashkor87 Swiatek is a slow starter, though, she could still turn it around..she is the better player after all...

by Deuce The 'match predictor' that the broadcast I'm often stuck with shows is useless.
At the beginning of the match and the beginning of every set, they put up the 'chance of winning' percentage - they overlay it over the court surface. And every time, whoever wins the first set is predicted to be the winner - by a large percentage.
Tonight, they had Swiatek as the large favourite as the match began - 72% chance of winning the match. After the first set, they had Kanepi with an 85% chance of winning the match. After needing 9 set points to win the set.

Where do they come up with this stuff?
And, more importantly - why?

by jazzyg Kanepi, unlike Cornet, is someone who really deserves a long-awaited slam breakthrough to a round she's never reached. She's been terrific in slams for a long time.

Unfortunately, it looks like Swiatek is harnessing her talent and will win in three sets. I hope to be wrong.

by Owendonovan
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am The 'match predictor' that the broadcast I'm often stuck with shows is useless.
At the beginning of the match and the beginning of every set, they put up the 'chance of winning' percentage - they overlay it over the court surface. And every time, whoever wins the first set is predicted to be the winner - by a large percentage.
Tonight, they had Swiatek as the large favourite as the match began - 72% chance of winning the match. After the first set, they had Kanepi with an 85% chance of winning the match. After needing 9 set points to win the set.

Some wealthy executives' analyst son needed a job.

by jazzyg I keep reading here that the courts are slow.

I keep hearing from the commentators that the courts are fast, which jibes with what I've thought about the Aussie Open courts for several years. Is there proof one way or another who is right? It seems like it would be pretty easy to quantify.

by ashkor87 Indian company Infosys, generates it with AI, no human involved

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:59 am I keep reading here that the courts are slow.

I keep hearing from the commentators that the courts are fast, which jibes with what I've thought about the Aussie Open courts for several years. Is there proof one way or another who is right? It seems like it would be pretty easy to quantify.
Relative to, say, the USO..they seem to be sort of medium-paced, and they appear to play differently by day and by night...

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:23 am Indian company Infosys, generates it with AI, no human involved
There is no intelligence - artificial or genuine - involved in these 'who will win the match' predictions.

by Deuce That was one of the better match points...

by Suliso Early prediction - Collins will beat Swiatek, but then lose meekly to either Barty or Keys.

by mick1303 History is not on Daniil's side here. Nobody in mens tennis ever won his 2nd grand slam immediately following the first. So, despite FAA being "good matchup" for him, I have a feeling that DM will lose today.

by mick1303 First_Time_Winner_______Slam_____________Next_Slam_result
Bowrey,_William_________AO-68____________Did_Not_Play
Kodes,_Jan______________FO-70____________R128
Smith,_Stan_____________USO-71___________Did_Not_Play
Gimeno,_Andres__________FO-72____________R64
Nastase,_Ilie___________USO-72___________Did_Not_Play
Connors,_Jimmy__________AO-74_(Dec_73)___Did_Not_Play_
Borg,_Bjorn_____________FO-74____________R32
Orantes,_Manuel_________USO-75___________Did_Not_Play
Edmondson,_Mark_________AO-76_(Dec_75)___R128
Panatta,_Adriano________FO-76____________R32
Tanner,_Roscoe__________AO-77_(Jan)______Did_Not_Play
Vilas,_Guillermo________FO-77____________R32
Gerulaitis,_Vitas_______AO-78_(Dec_77)___Did_Not_Play
McEnroe,_John___________USO-79___________Did_Not_Play
Teacher,_Brian__________AO-81_(Dec_80)___Did_Not_Play
Kriek,_Johan____________AO-82_(Dec_81)___Did_Not_Play
Wilander,_Mats__________FO-82____________R16
Noah,_Yannick___________FO-83____________Did_Not_Play
Lendl,_Ivan_____________FO-84____________SF
Becker,_Boris___________W-85_____________R32
Edberg,_Stefan__________AO-86_(Dec_85)___R64
Cash,_Pat_______________W-87_____________R128
Chang,_Michael__________FO-89____________R16
Gomez,_Andres___________FO-90____________R128
Sampras,_Pete___________USO-90___________Did_Not_Play
Courier,_Jim____________FO-91____________QF
Stich,_Michael__________W-91_____________QF
Agassi,_Andre___________W-92_____________QF
Bruguera,_Sergi_________FO-93____________Did_Not_Play
Muster,_Thomas__________FO-95____________Did_Not_Play
Kafelnikov,_Yevgeny_____FO-96____________R128
Krajicek,_Richard_______W-96_____________R128
Kuerten,_Gustavo________FO-97____________R128
Rafter,_Patrick_________USO-97___________R32
Korda,_Petr_____________AO-98____________R128
Moya,_Carlos____________FO-98____________R64
Safin,_Marat____________USO-00___________R16
Ivanisevic,_Goran_______W-01_____________R32
Hewitt,_Lleyton_________USO-01___________R128
Johansson,_Thomas_______AO-02____________R64
Costa,_Albert___________FO-02____________Did_Not_Play
Ferrero,_Juan_Carlos____FO-03____________R16
Federer,_Roger__________W-03_____________R16
Roddick,_Andy___________USO-03___________QF
Gaudio,_Gaston__________FO-04____________Did_Not_Play
Nadal,_Rafael___________FO-05____________R64
Djokovic,_Novak_________AO-08____________SF
Del_Potro,_Juan_Martin__USO-09___________R16
Murray,_Andy____________USO-12___________Final
Wawrinka,_Stanislas_____AO-14____________R128
Cilic,_Marin____________USO-14___________Did_Not_Play
Thiem,_Dominic__________USO-20___________QF
Medvedev,_Daniil________USO-21___________????

Not surprisingly the best performers were Lendl and Murray who lost quite a few finals each before finally winning the first ))

by Liamvalid Collins is another Sabalenka for me. I’m a fan based on her off court personality, and I actually love her game when she’s on. But she does have me cringing sometimes watching her. Sabalenka yesterday (the first time I’ve seen her this tournament) had me wanting to turn the TV off, especially with that attempted handshake. I can’t help but root for the girl though, I just hope she learns to drop all this drama or else she won’t have many fans left

by Deuce If Felix wins this match, it may finally be the turning point that propels him forward toward being a regular member of the top 5 or so.

I don't think he will win it - Medvedev is just too 'match smart'. Though he's only 25 years old, Medvedev's intelligence is like that of a person much older. And he uses that to his advantage, outsmarting his opponents in virtually every match. As I'm typing this, he has just shown another example of this - Felix broke him to go up 6-5 (1st set), but Medvedev immediately broke back. And it didn't surprise me one bit.

So Felix has a huge task ahead of him. But if he can somehow pull it off tonight, it might act as proof to himself that he belongs among the elite, and that kind of confidence and self-belief is extremely important.

by the Moz First set FAA!!

by Deuce Something is happening in this match. I don't know if it's something odd, or strange, or unusual... but it is something unexpected...
Felix is controlling the match to this point (ahead a set and 5-3 right now). Medvedev looks quite flustered - he's throwing in more double faults than usual (where the second serves are not close)... he's often caught out of position and has to scramble... he's making lots of unforced errors... This is not the Medvedev we know.
Whether he's not feeling well physically, or whether it's Felix's play that is frustrating him, I don't know - but he's not his usual self. He almost always figures out a way to get the upper hand in a match. But thus far tonight, he hasn't figured it out.

At least part of the reason for that is because Felix is playing well. But every time I start to think that this might be the most solid I've seen Felix play, he'll throw in an unforced error. So there's still room for improvement in this match from Felix.
Of course, there's still time for Medvedev to figure things out properly and come back, too...

They're closing the roof now because of rain - might that be the change/catalyst that Medvedev needs?
Whatever happens, the evolution of the match promises to be interesting...

by Suliso It might be just what Mick was writing - nobody ever wins the first two Slams and if so got to lose to someone. FAA is good enough to take advantage.

by the Moz Second set FAA!!

by FEBravo Medvedev with the third. I've only watched the TBs in the first and third, and Medvedev definitely upped his game while Felix lost his, missed a few (relatively) easy winners. Will be a test of his character now, as he's still 2-1 up, but Medvedev now fired up.

by Deuce Medvedev still isn't his usual self - he's still fighting himself. But he's beginning to figure things out and adjust.
Normally, I'd say at this point (after he's just won the 3rd set) that he's going to win the match. But there's something uncharacteristic about him tonight. I obviously don't know what the reason is, and although he's playing better now, he's just not his usual self tonight. And Felix seems to be hitting the ball better at the beginning of the 3rd than he was at the end of the 2nd.
It's anyone's match at this point.

by Suliso Well, seems like it will fall to Tsitsipas to take out Medvedev.

by mmmm8
JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:35 am Outside of the one incident, I don't think most have an issue with her off the court. She's not as good of friends with the other players from what I've seen, but that's seems to be about taking a different path to the pros and not knowing them as well, but when she's with them like when she's playing Fed Cup, she seems to get along with everyone fine. I don't think she's actually an unlikable person, just not the easiest player to like.

And I don't think the problem with her on-court is just about her intensity, there's been quite a high level of poor sportsmanship on more than several occasions....
It's funny because in her post-match speech she talked about how people don't see how friendly everyone is in the locker room.

Of the couple post-match interviews I've stuck around for, Cornet and Collins were surprisingly endearing. Collins seemed very thankful to people around her after having a tough time last year and Cornet stopped Dokic wrapping up the interview to tell Jelena how impressed she's been with where Dokic is now and how she's crafted her post-tennis life.

Dokic's been a really good interviewer, by the way.

by mmmm8
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:23 am History is not on Daniil's side here. Nobody in mens tennis ever won his 2nd grand slam immediately following the first. So, despite FAA being "good matchup" for him, I have a feeling that DM will lose today.

Very nuanced, effective jinx. Let's see if it holds for two more matches :D

by mick1303
mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:23 am History is not on Daniil's side here. Nobody in mens tennis ever won his 2nd grand slam immediately following the first. So, despite FAA being "good matchup" for him, I have a feeling that DM will lose today.

Very nuanced, effective jinx. Let's see if it holds for two more matches :D
You saw right through me ))) Turned out in the end that FAA was not the man for the job. But I stand by my prediction - someone will get in a way of Medvedev winning this particular slam.

by mick1303 But even if Medved loses next round, he will join quite a tight company of Murray, Lendl and Djokovic - reaching at least semi in the next slam after the maiden slam. Sampras, Federer, Nadal and all other slam winners did worse )

by Deuce
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:52 pm But even if Medved loses next round, he will join quite a tight company of Murray, Lendl and Djokovic - reaching at least semi in the next slam after the maiden slam. Sampras, Federer, Nadal and all other slam winners did worse )
I'd be more interested in seeing how players did in the next Major that they played in after winning their first Major. Your list has a lot of instances of players not playing the Major following the first one they won. Obviously they can't win a tournament that they don't play in. How they fared in the next Major they actually participated in would be a more significant means of measuring this particular circumstance in my opinion.

by Deuce Medvedev too often behaves like a horse’s ass - but he’s an absolute tennis genius.
I am not surprised that he figured out a way to come back and win this one, even though he certainly was not playing his best. He’s the most intelligent player on the tour.

I feel bad for Felix. This one was definitely within his grasp - but he couldn’t handle Medvedev gradually improving his play. You could see in Felix’s eyes as early as in the 3rd set that there was self-doubt building in his mind.
This is a kid who was the youngest player to win a match at the Challenger level at 15 years old (he made it all the way to the quarterfinals). And so his evolution continues. In a year or two, he’ll win matches like tonight’s.

by jazzyg FAA was really impressive the entire tournament. I did not see any of this match, but it does not surprise me he came really close to winning it.

His ball-striking has been exquisite. He still has rough patches, bit his progress since this time a year ago is immense.

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:25 pm FAA was really impressive the entire tournament. I did not see any of this match, but it does not surprise me he came really close to winning it.

His ball-striking has been exquisite. He still has rough patches, bit his progress since this time a year ago is immense.
Completely agree

by mick1303 Regarding the Tsitsipas-Medvedev semi: the tables are turned the other way now. Last year it was Tsitsipas after the tight 5-setter (beat Nadal from 2 sets down). This year it is Medvedev in exactly the same situation.

by mick1303
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Medvedev too often behaves like a horse’s ass - but he’s an absolute tennis genius.
I am not surprised that he figured out a way to come back and win this one, even though he certainly was not playing his best. He’s the most intelligent player on the tour.

I feel bad for Felix. This one was definitely within his grasp - but he couldn’t handle Medvedev gradually improving his play. You could see in Felix’s eyes as early as in the 3rd set that there was self-doubt building in his mind.
This is a kid who was the youngest player to win a match at the Challenger level at 15 years old (he made it all the way to the quarterfinals). And so his evolution continues. In a year or two, he’ll win matches like tonight’s.
What did Medvedev do in this match (re "horse's ass")?

by Deuce
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:47 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:59 pm Medvedev too often behaves like a horse’s ass - but he’s an absolute tennis genius.

What did Medvedev do in this match (re "horse's ass")?
Nothing that I saw in this match - I wasn't referring to this match.
But there are plenty of examples from other matches. That's why I wrote that he too often behaves like a horse's ass.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:58 am Early prediction - Collins will beat Swiatek, but then lose meekly to either Barty or Keys.
Agree that she will beat Swiatek, but not sure about going down meekly to Keys or Barty.
Only thing that I would say is that it might be a nervous final. Collins, Keys or Barty will be playing for a lot. And I am not sure if an all American final will not be extremely tense.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:41 pm
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:25 pm FAA was really impressive the entire tournament. I did not see any of this match, but it does not surprise me he came really close to winning it.

Completely agree
I agree, and I'm glad to hear this. The Tennis Podcast - which I usually agree with - was so hard on Shapo after this match, for complaining about Rafa's slow play to immature shot selection to his press conference. They called him a brat and said the first two sets were a rout and the worst of Shapo. I was stunned - I had a completely different take. I thought he competed and played so well. Didn't have a meltdown. 3 and 4 is not a rout. He missed a big opportunity and should have won it, but my god, it's a fifth set against Rafa, and it's not like Shapo wasn't feeling some physical effects by then, too. I watched his press conference and didn't think he was being a baby about the preferential treatment issue. He evidently believes it, stands by it and was happy to talk about it when asked. I think he had a point about the staredown with the umpire early in the first set. Shapo had already complained about Rafa's time thing, then when he (Shapo) was in position to return serve, he noticed the umpire looking at him, not Rafa. So he asked the umpire, why are you looking at me and not watching Rafa? Shapo thought the umpire was just staring him down when he should have been keeping an eye on Rafa between his serve points. Shapo's right - the umpire has to watch the server.

Anyway. Nice to see I'm not alone in Shapo's defense. I hope this is a step toward playing his best more consistently.

by jazzyg I've always felt analysts were harder on Shapovalov than any other young player and agree with every word you just wrote.

He stayed positive despite losing the first two sets, turned the match around and easily could have won it. He probably always will be more subject to loose games than other top players, but he is learning how to win anyway and has a style different than any of the other top players. I don't like some of his histrionics during matches, but his game, to me, is the most aesthetically pleasing of anyone on tour right now. His athleticism and power bother Rafa. There's a reason he beat him when he was 18 and had match points against him last year on clay--his worst surface and Nadal's best.

Prediction: Deuce's head is going to explode when Shapovalov and Andreescu win the same slam in the next two or three years.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:46 pm I've always felt analysts were harder on Shapovalov than any other young player and agree with every word you just wrote.

He stayed positive despite losing the first two sets, turned the match around and easily could have won it. He probably always will be more subject to loose games than other top players, but he is learning how to win anyway and has a style different than any of the other top players. I don't like some of his histrionics during matches, but his game, to me, is the most aesthetically pleasing of anyone on tour right now. His athleticism and power bother Rafa. There's a reason he beat him when he was 18 and had match points against him last year on clay--his worst surface and Nadal's best.

Prediction: Deuce's head is going to explode when Shapovalov and Andreescu win the same slam in the next two or three years.
Haha, I doubt that Deuce would ever accept that result as legitimate. :) I kid, I kid...

by ti-amie
Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am The 'match predictor' that the broadcast I'm often stuck with shows is useless.

Gambling

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm ...

Gambling
And, we have a winner!

by jazzyg I disagree with the assessment that Collins will beat Swiatek, although I admit I did not watch a point of her match against Cornet because I would have gotten physically ill seeing Cornet instead of Halep in that matchup.

I did watch almost all of Swiatek-Kanepi, and even though Kanepi was a tiebreak away from winning in straights and the play was scratchy, I liked what I saw from Swiatek. Once she got her teeth in the match, I never thought she had a chance to lose. She's simply more talented than Collins, which does not guarantee a win, but combined with her intense desire to win, I expect it to put her over the top.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm I disagree with the assessment that Collins will beat Swiatek, although I admit I did not watch a point of her match against Cornet because I would have gotten physically ill seeing Cornet instead of Halep in that matchup.

I did watch almost all of Swiatek-Kanepi, and even though Kanepi was a tiebreak away from winning in straights and the play was scratchy, I liked what I saw from Swiatek. Once she got her teeth in the match, I never thought she had a chance to lose. She's simply more talented than Collins, which does not guarantee a win, but combined with her intense desire to win, I expect it to put her over the top.
To which Danielle says:

BTW, I'm picking Swiatek, too.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm

Gambling
It doesn't help with gambling - unless one is smart enough to bet AGAINST its predictions.

Really, though - this 'win predictor' thing they use is an insult to those who know tennis. It takes no relevant information into account. It's like asking a 7 year old child who's never watched tennis to predict the winner - the child will chose the player who is wearing their favourite colour shirt.
It's just really, really bad. You'd get better results flipping a coin - literally.

by ponchi101 This old fashion Davis Cup doubles match is actually pretty good.
Kyrgios, as is his style, said that when you get two singles players against doubles players, the singles players will win.
Which is completely inelegant from his part, but 100% right. Still, the match has been very close. This time, kudos to Nick.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:This old fashion Davis Cup doubles match is actually pretty good.
Kyrgios, as is his style, said that when you get two singles players against doubles players, the singles players will win.
Which is completely inelegant from his part, but 100% right. Still, the match has been very close. This time, kudos to Nick.
He obviously enjoys doubles more than singles. Can handle it better physically. But he might not be into it as much when it’s not the Australian Open. He likes the stage. Completely different experience than anywhere except here and the Us Open.

by Deuce
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:46 pm I've always felt analysts were harder on Shapovalov than any other young player and agree with every word you just wrote.

The time that Denis beat Nadal that you refer to was in Canada. That's why Denis won, pure and simple.
I'm not saying the result was fixed - but let's just say that Denis (and Tennis Canada) had more motivation to win that match than Nadal did. If they had played at a Major at that same exact time, and both players were healthy - ANY Major - there is no way in hell that Denis would have won.

Strange results occur more in non-Majors than in Majors - especially in the weeks preceding a Major - because top players sometimes decide that they'd rather rest than play another match, etc. This is rather obvious.
That time that Denis beat Nadal in Montreal reminded me of when hometown boy Simon Larose (ranked 314) beat Gustavo Kuerten (ranked 14 and winner of a couple of Majors and several Masters 1000s) at the same venue.
Simon Who?...

If Denis is going to win a Major, both he and his game will need to mature enormously. His game looks good - "aesthetically pleasing", as you say - but that counts for nothing. It's results that count. Monfils's game is nice looking, too... Kyrgios can hit any shot from anywhere... Arazi was a magician with a racquet... None of it means much if there is not maturity to accompany the flashiness.

As for Andreescu... there's a higher likelihood that her career is essentially finished already than that she'll win another Major.

by Deuce
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:44 am This old fashion Davis Cup doubles match is actually pretty good.
I don't agree at all that 2 good singles players will beat 2 'doubles specialists'. That was just Nick's ego talking (again). The 'doubles specialists' will win the majority of such matches.
The main reasons that Nick and Thanasi are doing well at this tournament are A) it's their home tournament, and they're feeding off of the crowd, and B) they've played doubles together for a long time, know each other's games very well, and know each other personally very well. These elements would not apply to 2 other good singles players who had rarely played together and are playing in a neutral country.

It's similar with Denis and Felix - they're a good doubles team because they played a lot of doubles together growing up, they're both Canadian, etc.

by meganfernandez Oh my god, Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

If he were a professional player, he would have kept it together and done his job of holding serve for a set and 5-2 lead.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:21 am Oh my god, Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

If he were a professional player, he would have kept it together and done his job of holding serve for a set and 5-2 lead.
That match is Day 11, by the way... not Day 10.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:21 am Oh my god, Nick lost his sh*t when he lost serve in the 2nd and someone from the crowd was rowdy as he was preparing to serve. He yelled at that person to be quiet during the serve and jawed at the umpire too. Broke his racket after losing the game. He was already pissed because he thought the netcord sensor was making phantom calls. So this crowd that he riles up and feeds off of bites him in the ass. So poetic.

That match is Day 11, by the way... not Day 10.
Oh okay thanks!

by ashkor87 I also predict Collins will beat Swiatek.. Collins has greatly improved her serve, depth and variety, not to mention consistency.. Swiatek was not too impressive against Kanepi, either..
in the other semi, it is very intriguing, but I expect Barty to beat Keys with some exquisite net play that drives Keys from side to side and up and down..
though I love them both..!

by mick1303
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:41 pm

Completely agree
I agree, and I'm glad to hear this. The Tennis Podcast - which I usually agree with - was so hard on Shapo after this match, for complaining about Rafa's slow play to immature shot selection to his press conference. They called him a brat and said the first two sets were a rout and the worst of Shapo. I was stunned - I had a completely different take. I thought he competed and played so well. Didn't have a meltdown. 3 and 4 is not a rout. He missed a big opportunity and should have won it, but my god, it's a fifth set against Rafa, and it's not like Shapo wasn't feeling some physical effects by then, too. I watched his press conference and didn't think he was being a baby about the preferential treatment issue. He evidently believes it, stands by it and was happy to talk about it when asked. I think he had a point about the staredown with the umpire early in the first set. Shapo had already complained about Rafa's time thing, then when he (Shapo) was in position to return serve, he noticed the umpire looking at him, not Rafa. So he asked the umpire, why are you looking at me and not watching Rafa? Shapo thought the umpire was just staring him down when he should have been keeping an eye on Rafa between his serve points. Shapo's right - the umpire has to watch the server.

Anyway. Nice to see I'm not alone in Shapo's defense. I hope this is a step toward playing his best more consistently.
100% agree!!!

by mick1303 Nice touch on DMs part to mention Djokovic. He knew that he will rattle some feathers and did it anyway.

by dmforever 4 Aussie men in the men's doubles final and 2 Aussies in the mixed final. :)

Kevin

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 pm And, we have a winner!
A Bet-at-Home.com winner!

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm I disagree with the assessment that Collins will beat Swiatek, although I admit I did not watch a point of her match against Cornet because I would have gotten physically ill seeing Cornet instead of Halep in that matchup.

Welp, what do we know? :) Didn't think Collins would do it but she's in beast mode.