With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:28 am Y'all are in here talking about the breakdown of respect and common courtesy in society and how the World Wars were started and equal pay in tennis sparked by an article written by Shapo gets moved to Off Court Serious Issues? Color me confused.
Our Cartesian Logic algorithm just developed a bug ;)
I moved those posts just so they would all be together in the same topic. But you are right.
Then again. Us? Going off topic? HERE?! NEVER!!!! :D
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

I view the whole disrespect issue as something that has grown over the past decade or so because many people don't really know how to interact with others anymore. Most of the younger generations sit behind their phones or computer screens and type away messages and many say what they darn well please when honestly they would never say that to a persons face to face.

When I was younger most of my interactions were face to face and I either dealt with the person right there or dismissed the situation. There was no hiding behind a phone screen or computer screen. The issues were dealt with right up front. So in my opinion, it is because most people and especially the younger generation doesn't really know how to interact correctly with others.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 pm There's a lot of ways to come at this topic, I'll come from the subway in NYC. People rarely take their backpacks off now taking up a lot of space, more people think they have some right to personal space on a rush hour train(it's not available), people vape, smoke week and cigarettes on the platforms now, I've never seen more turnstiles being jumped, more people begging in stations and train cars, fewer seats given up by younger people to older/pregnant/disabled folks. "Excuse me" doesn't seem to work as often on the folks who stand in the doorway as the train door opens and people try to get by said person (these folks tend to get shouldered by me). How much am I supposed to tolerate before I have to act in my interest?
Sure - everything you mention is accurate - and supports my point of less basic respect in general society.
I have no problem being rude to disrespectful people, or holding them accountable for it (I, too, have been known to 'shoulder' people who won't make room for others). I try, as much as I can, to tell the disrespectful person that their behaviour is not acceptable. I don't see this as selfishly 'acting in my own interest' as much as I see it as acting in the interest of society as a whole.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Scoob Canada

Post by Scoob »

As all of this pertains to the game of tennis and the professional players who play the game, there has always been certain sportsmanship things during the match that players or most players have abide by. There is no shouting out by players during the points, no whacking the ball directly at your opponent, and shaking of the hands at the end of the match. Most of the players do follow these rules. Recently though players have been becoming upset with certain players taking liberty in withdrawing from matches during the match. That has led to players not shaking hands at the end of the match. For the most part, I believe the majority of the tennis players respect one another. In the heat of competition some may lose sight of that, but I do think that can happen with anyone who is playing a sport at the level they are playing.

In society we also have rules to follow that pertain to respecting the people we cross paths with on a daily basis. In society however it is on a much larger scale than on the tennis court. Many of the things that Ownedonovan mentioned in the subways should be common sense things that people should use to respect others. One main thing is many people do not use common sense a lot. The thing with younger people not offering their seats to disabled/ pregnant/ or older folks is something that should have been taught to them by their parents. I understand all do not listen, but a lot of it falls on the parents.

As for tolerating it, I am the type of person that tries to avoid this sort of stuff unless the person is obviously in the wrong and says something disrespectful or does something disrespectful. For example, my family was visiting Gatlinburg, Tennessee in the United States when my two daughters were younger. They have a trolley type bus that takes you around the tourist area and we were on it along with another family who had a mother, father, two sons in their 20's and their wives or girlfriends. These locals boarded the trolley bus and began to spout off extremely crude talk. The dad, and two sons asked them to stop talking like that. This just got the two punk teens going even more. They got louder and even worse making comments about the women on the trolley bus. This is when the dad, the two sons, and myself had enough. We got up and just moved our seats in close proximity to them and all just glared at them, begging them to continue on. They did not utter another word, but just sat there with smirks on their faces. During this entire time, I felt so bad for the trolley driver because he was about 80 years old and there was no way he was handling the situation. The next stop the two teens got off the bus and started asking us to get off and fight them. All it would have taken was the dad to get off the trolley and he would have wiped these two punks up and down the street himself. We did not get off the trolley, but as the trolley left they came up to the side of the trolley and spit into the window trying to hit one of the sons. Those are the types of situations, I cannot leave alone.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:59 am
But not win it?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

He's always made statements like this. Maybe it's a way to keep the pressure off of himself?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Meanwhile Andreescu was up a break but Stearns broke right back and holds for 5-4 first set.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:11 am He's always made statements like this. Maybe it's a way to keep the pressure off of himself?
Manage the pressure.
But there are three slams left.
RG does not suit him
Who can beat Novak at Wimby?
That leaves the USO, where he may have a chance, but it will be very competitive.
So he may be being realistic.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We have been talking, once again, about retirements in both tours.
So, I was a bit bored and decided to throw some numbers.
NULL Hypothesis: The rate of retirements and walkovers has increased in one or both tours.
ALT Hypothesis. The rate of retirements and walkovers has remained the same.
BEFORE INDIAN WELLS.
WTA: 573 matches. 14 retirements (2.44%) and 8 W/O (1.4%)
ATP: 582 matches, 17 retirements (2.92%) and 5 W/O (0.86%)

The person that was loading the data for all years, and which I used to work out retirements/WO for both tours, has not loaded data for 2022. So, we can only compare to 2021.
WTA (2021): 4.42% rets, 1.1.5% W/O's. The ladies are at a lower pace for retirements, but it is basically the same rate as 2020.
ATP (2021): 2.57% rets, 0.75% W/O's. The gents are basically at the same rate.

Conclusion: There is no evidence to accept the NH.

Side conclusion: we are very, very good at displaying recency bias. And availability bias.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'd like to know how today's numbers for in-match retirements and in-tournament withdrawals compares to the numbers from the 1980s and even the 1990s.
But I have no idea if that information even exists - perhaps they weren't thinking to keep that information back then.

I believe the last time you gave us numbers, it only went back to the year 2000, right? (but I could be wrong about that).
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

2000 for the men, 2007 for the women.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

OH?

Luca Fiorino
@FiorinoLuca
Matteo #Berrettini giocherà il Challenger di Phoenix la prossima settimana.
Translated from Italian by
Matthew #Berrettini will play the Phoenix Challenger next week.

MD Singles Entry Lists for Phoenix Challenger

Entries
Seed Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking
1 (WC) Matteo Berrettini 23
2 (WC) Diego Schwartzman 38
3 Richard Gasquet 43 43
4 Alexander Bublik 46 50
5 Jiri Lehecka 47 52
6 Marc-Andrea Huesler 51 48
7 Mikael Ymer 57 69
8 Emil Ruusuvuori 59 51
Constant Lestienne 62 53
Gregoire Barrere 65 58
Arthur Rinderknech 72 72
Filip Krajinovic 74 67
Roberto Carballes Baena 79 73
Quentin Halys 81 64
Oscar Otte 82 77
Ilya Ivashka 85 79
Alexei Popyrin 101 84
Pedro Martinez 120 76
(WC) Gael Monfils 210
(ALT)
(ALT)
(ALT)
(ALT)
(ALT)
(SE)
(SE)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)
(Q)

Alternates
Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking

1 Ugo Humbert 77 85
2 Daniel Elahi Galan 89 88
3 Denis Kudla 90 89
4 Emilio Gomez 92 91
5 Zhizhen Zhang 93 92
6 Christopher O'Connell 86 94
7 Daniel Altmaier 98 95
8 Roman Safiullin 113 97
9 Cristian Garin 97 98
10 Radu Albot 109 99
11 Thanasi Kokkinakis 94 100
12 Christopher Eubanks 108 102
13 Nuno Borges 80 103
14 Taro Daniel 103 108
15 Matteo Arnaldi 115 110
16 Rinky Hijikata 130 117
17 Aleksandar Kovacevic 107 124
18 Steve Johnson 137 125
19 James Duckworth 114 128
20 Yosuke Watanuki 122 130

Withdrawals
Name Seeding Ranking Entry Ranking

Botic van de Zandschulp 33 34
Sebastian Baez 35 35
Bernabe Zapata Miralles 42 63
Benjamin Bonzi 45 60
Jack Draper 56 44
Jaume Munar 58 66
Alex Molcan 63 54
Pedro Cachin 66 59
Yibing Wu 67 61
Soonwoo Kwon 70 68
Jason Kubler 75 74
Michael Mmoh 83 82

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

While ATP players are showing up at the Phoenix Challenger for WTA players there's no comparable option.