vs (WC) Joao Lucas Reis Da Silva
Federico Delbonis vs (8) Yannick Hanfmann

(2) Marco Cecchinato vs (Alt) Alejandro Tabilo
(PR) Tomas Barrios Vera vs (7) Jozef Kovalik

(3) Hugo Gaston vs Felipe Meligeni Alves
(WC) Eduardo Ribeiro vs (5) Timofey Skatov

(4) Juan Manuel Cerundolo vs (WC) Matheus Pucinelli De Almeida
Nicolas Jarry vs (6) Camilo Ugo Carabelli

by Sinner Fan Could be a back to back Alcaraz and Norrie final.

by ti-amie Main Draw Singles

(1) Carlos Alcaraz
vs (WC) Mateus Alves
Fabio Fognini vs Qualifier
Laslo Djere vs Qualifier
Dusan Lajovic vs (5) Diego Schwartzman

(3) Lorenzo Musetti vs Qualifier
Pedro Martinez vs Cristian Garin
Qualifier vs (SE) Juan Pablo Varillas
(WC) Thomaz Bellucci vs (6) Sebastian Baez

(7) Albert Ramos-Vinolas vs Tomas Martin Etcheverry
Pedro Cachin vs Daniel Elahi Galan
Jaume Munar vs Bernabe Zapata Miralles
Roberto Carballes Baena vs (4) Francisco Cerundolo

(9) Alex Molcan vs (WC) Joao Fonseca vs
Joao Sousa vs (PR) Hugo Dellien
(PR) Dominic Thiem vs Thiago Monteiro
Qualifier vs (2) Cameron Norrie

by ti-amie Day 3 Order of Play Rio de Janeiro
Monday, February 20, 2023 Day 3

Quadra Guga Kuerten Starts At 4:30 Pm

(9) Alex Molcan
VS (WC) Joao Fonseca
Not Before 7:00 Pm
(PR) Dominic Thiem VS Thiago Monteiro
Followed By
(3) Lorenzo Musetti
VS Qualifier

Quadra 1 Starts At 4:30 Pm

Pedro Martinez VS Cristian Garin
Followed By
Laslo Djere VS Qualifier
Followed By
Sebastian Baez/Albert Ramos-Vinolas VS Nathaniel Lammons/Jackson Withrow

Quadra 2 Starts At 4:30 Pm

Joao Sousa VS (PR) Hugo Dellien
Followed By
Pedro Cachin/Francisco Cerundolo VS Tomas Martin Etcheverry/Diego Schwartzman

by Sinner Fan If Carlos or Cam have letdown in any match it could open for Musetti.

by ti-amie Tuesday, February 21, 2023 Day 4

(LL) Juan Manuel Cerundolo VS (2) Cameron Norrie
(1) Carlos Alcaraz
VS (WC) Mateus Alves
Followed By
(WC) Thomaz Bellucci VS (6) Sebastian Baez

Roberto Carballes Baena VS (4) Francisco Cerundolo
Followed By
Fabio Fognini VS (Q) Tomas Barrios Vera
Followed By
Dusan Lajovic VS (5) Diego Schwartzman

(Q) Hugo Gaston VS (SE) Juan Pablo Varillas
Followed By
(4) Francisco Cabral/Horacio Zeballos VS (PR) Pedro Martinez/Dominic Thiem
Followed By
Tomislav Brkic/Gonzalo Escobar VS (WC) Marcelo Demoliner/Felipe Meligeni Alves

Quadra 4 Starts At 4:30 Pm

Pedro Cachin VS Daniel Elahi Galan
Followed By
(7) Albert Ramos-Vinolas
VS Tomas Martin Etcheverry
Followed By
Jaume Munar VS Bernabe Zapata Miralles

by ti-amie Carlitos, up 6-4 and 5-3, couldn't finish his match due to a torrential downpour in Rio. I'm not using the word torrential lightly.

Mark Taylor
@emarktaylor@finsup.site
#Tennis #ATP #RioDeJaneiro

Holy cow! Now that's what I call a rain delay in Rio De Janeiro.

It's clay too - that'll take forecer to dry out - no?

by ponchi101 Won't be finished until LATE tomorrow. Sure, clay will soak in the water, but then you have two issues. First, if it is NOT sunny, the court gets very mushy; ideal conditions for a rolled ankle. But, if it IS sunny, then you get an upper layer of mud that bakes and becomes a crust. That will change the feeling of the court completely, and it will make it very fast (a thin layer of dust on top, after it starts to break up) and even more slippery.
I am truly surprised that a pro tournament does not have covers for this.

by ti-amie Wednesday, February 22, 2023 Day 5

Dusan Lajovic VS (5) Diego Schwartzman
Followed By / TBF 6/4 5/3
R32
(1) Carlos Alcaraz VS (WC) Mateus Alves
(WC) Thomaz Bellucci VS (6) Sebastian Baez
Followed By
Thiago Monteiro VS (2) Cameron Norrie

Alexander Erler/Lucas Miedler VS (2) Juan Sebastian Cabal/Marcelo Melo
Followed By / TBF 6/2 5/2
R32
Fabio Fognini VS (Q) Tomas Barrios Vera
Followed By
(9) Alex Molcan
VS (PR) Hugo Dellien
Followed By
(1) Rafael Matos/David Vega Hernandez
VS (Q) Nikola Cacic/Andrea Pellegrino

Jaume Munar VS Bernabe Zapata Miralles
Followed By / TBF 1/6 0/0
Tomislav Brkic/Gonzalo Escobar VS (WC) Marcelo Demoliner/Felipe Meligeni Alves
Followed By / After Suitable Rest
R16
(LL) Mateus Alves/Joao Fonseca VS Maximo Gonzalez/Andres Molteni

Quadra 4 Starts At 5:30 Pm / TBF 5/7 4/3

R32
(7) Albert Ramos-Vinolas VS Tomas Martin Etcheverry
Followed By / After Suitable Rest
Sadio Doumbia/Fabien Reboul VS (3) Simone Bolelli/Fabio Fognini

by ti-amie The skies are low and threatening in Rio again. Diego is down 1-5 to Lajovic first set. Carlitos is scheduled to play next to finish his match from last night.

Ponchi made some good points about what the court surface would be today since it was almost a small lake after last nights torrential rain. So far Diego isn't doing well.

by ti-amie Lajovic through easily 1 & 4 vs Diego.

by JazzNU Alcaraz is thru and Baez is playing Belluci right now. I think that's the final match that was a holdover.

by ti-amie Fognini serving for the first set vs Carlitos at 6-5, 0-40...

by ti-amie Tiebreak for the first set.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:15 pm Tiebreak for the first set.
Thanks. Just turned it on.
Fognini just won the tiebreak.
It's hard to imagine that Fognini won't find a way to throw this match away, though - because if he wins, he'll have higher expectations placed on him, and he certainly wouldn't be able to handle that. :D

by ti-amie Fognini takes the first set 7-6(5).

Let's see if Alcaraz fights hard for the win. I think I saw he's set to play next week...

by ti-amie That's a pretty solid wrap Fognini just got on his ankle.

by ti-amie WTH just happened? Oh, Carlitos hit a drop shot from the baseline, Fabio ran after it and may have hyperextended a knee. Carlos helped him up and play continues.

Fognini isn't limping but he doesn't look all that good - but this is Fabio so who knows?

by Deuce As I said - he'll find a way to not win this match - because he doesn't want to win. He doesn't want the pressure and expectations that would come with a win.
The ankle taping after winning the 1st set was just him preparing his press conference excuse as to why he lost the match.

5-2 Alcaraz in the 2nd now.
Quite predictable...

by ti-amie Saturday, February 25, 2023 Day 8

Quadra Guga Kuerten Starts At 5:00 Pm

SF
Bernabe Zapata Miralles VS (2) Cameron Norrie
Followed By
SF
(1) Carlos Alcaraz VS (Q) Nicolas Jarry
Followed By
F
Maximo Gonzalez/Andres Molteni VS (2) Juan Sebastian Cabal/Marcelo Melo

by Ainsley It is crazy to think of the success that Carlos Alcaraz has achieved and only at 19 years old. I am going to say something silly right now, but what do you all think of his chances of reaching Rafa levels in his career?

by ponchi101
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:24 am It is crazy to think of the success that Carlos Alcaraz has achieved and only at 19 years old. I am going to say something silly right now, but what do you all think of his chances of reaching Rafa levels in his career?
Slim. We won't see more players reaching those levels in a very long time. He can reach Connors/Lendl levels (in slams, regular tournaments will be a different case).

by Ainsley
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:50 am
Ainsley wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:24 am It is crazy to think of the success that Carlos Alcaraz has achieved and only at 19 years old. I am going to say something silly right now, but what do you all think of his chances of reaching Rafa levels in his career?
Slim. We won't see more players reaching those levels in a very long time. He can reach Connors/Lendl levels (in slams, regular tournaments will be a different case).
We have gotten a treat in seeing players like Fed, Rafa, and Novak over the years that is for sure and also on the ladies side with the Williams sisters.

by ti-amie A tiebreak to decide the first semifinal between Norrie and Zapata Miralles who is not there as a tourist.

by ti-amie Norrie is through to the final 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(3) against Zapata Miralles.

by ti-amie I had no idea Jarry is so tall! He and Carlitos are underway in Rio.

by ti-amie It looked as if Alcaraz was going to lose the first set but he leveled it at 5 all and is now serving to force a tiebreak.

Jarry has been very aggressive and is using his height to push Alcaraz around the court. It was working for a good long while.

by Ainsley It seems if Jarry can get a good service return and get into a rally with Alcaraz he can stay right in this match. He is now in a first set tiebreaker.

by Deuce Jarry just won the 1st set tiebreak 7-2.
It's surprising, maybe - Jarry is currently ranked #139 - but it's not shocking, given that Jarry is from Chile, and likely learned his tennis on the red clay.

by ti-amie Jarry used his height well throughout the first set. He also kept up an aggressive pace and didn't give Carlitos time to settle in. That shot near the end of the first set where Alcaraz hit a lob and Jarry just reached up and flicked it across the net. I hope someone posts video of that point.

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:11 am Jarry used his height well throughout the first set. He also kept up an aggressive pace and didn't give Carlitos time to settle in. That shot near the end of the first set where Alcaraz hit a lob and Jarry just reached up and flicked it across the net. I hope someone posts video of that point.
I think that was called 'not up' by the chair umpire when Alcaraz reached for it - and that's why Jarry just casually flicked it.

by ti-amie Alcaraz body language right now says he'll be making that long flight to Acapulco.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Ainsley Jarry's chances to the final are quickly going down the toilet with losing that 2nd set. He really needed to pull this match out in straight sets in my opinion. I think Alcaraz is going to roll in this 3rd set now.

by ti-amie Alcaraz had the trainer out, and he looked a bit pouty at one point but it looks like I'm going to have to learn his on court moods. He served Jarry a bagel in the third set.

by Ainsley
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:00 am Alcaraz had the trainer out, and he looked a bit pouty at one point but it looks like I'm going to have to learn his on court moods. He served Jarry a bagel in the third set.
To me even with getting the trainer out to massage his calf muscle, going into the 3rd set Alcaraz had the advantage going in. Once that last game in the 2nd set was lost for Jarry and it didn't go into a tiebreaker he looked cooked. He looked like it was an all out tiebreaker win in the 2nd set and a match win for him or he was toast. He ended up toast or shall I say a bagel.

by ponchi101 Jarry was highly touted a few years ago. Injuries then hit. He is a solid player, that has had a bit of bad luck lately.

by Ainsley
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:50 am Jarry was highly touted a few years ago. Injuries then hit. He is a solid player, that has had a bit of bad luck lately.
I really think if Jarry would have gotten into the 2nd set tiebreaker he would have had a decent chance of winning the match. His service game is pretty good.

by Deuce Yes, Jarry was talked about as having potential a few years ago, much like another tall player, Jerzy Janowicz, a few years earlier.
Things never really panned out for either of them, though.

by Ainsley
Deuce wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 am Yes, Jarry was talked about as having potential a few years ago, much like another tall player, Jerzy Janowicz, a few years earlier.
Things never really panned out for either of them, though.
The little I have seen of Jarry, I don't think he is that bad at all. I don't think he is a John Isner who is really a one dimensional player, but I can see Jarry playing the spoiler every so often in a tournament.

by Owendonovan ^AKA Sucide pool spoiler.

by ponchi101
Owendonovan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:56 pm ^AKA Sucide pool spoiler.
Indeed. He killed me at the Aussie this year (beat Kekmanovic easily).

by Ainsley In those big tournaments,doesn't it always seem like there is that one player who in the 1st round comes up with that WOW win and you are like OK the next round they are going to go down. Then they just keep on rolling along until the next thing you know they are about to reach the 2nd week.

by ti-amie Sunday, February 26, 2023 Day 9

Quadra Guga Kuerten Starts At 5:30 Pm

F
(1) Carlos Alcaraz VS (2) Cameron Norrie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie First set Carlitos 7-5
Second set Norrie 6-4

by ti-amie Third set Norrie 7-5

The Tennis Podcast :verified_legacy: 🤖
@TennisPodcast@sportsbots.xyz
Cam Norrie is the champion in Rio.

Bonkers match.

Alcaraz comfortably in charge at 7-5, 3-0. Alcaraz pulled something in his right leg. Norrie levelled.

Alcaraz started trying to hit everything for winners on one leg. Nearly did it.

Norrie won 7-5. Alcaraz injury a worry

by ponchi101 Weird third set (because, after not showing ONE SINGLE MATCH the whole week, they showed the final). Carlos obviously was hampered, but the lots of winners were impressive.
Good win for Norrie.

by ti-amie I missed the physical injury but it seemed Alcaraz was mentally fatigued as well.

by ti-amie

by Ainsley Good win for Norrie and Carlos was pretty much playing on 1 leg. Carlos really needs to address whatever it is with the leg injury he has. It seems to hamper him very often.

by ponchi101
Ainsley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 pm Good win for Norrie and Carlos was pretty much playing on 1 leg. Carlos really needs to address whatever it is with the leg injury he has. It seems to hamper him very often.
And still no news of him pulling out of Acapulco. He needs to rest it a little bit.

by Ainsley
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm
Ainsley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 pm Good win for Norrie and Carlos was pretty much playing on 1 leg. Carlos really needs to address whatever it is with the leg injury he has. It seems to hamper him very often.
And still no news of him pulling out of Acapulco. He needs to rest it a little bit.
He is scheduled for his 1st round match in Acapulco at 8:20 p.m.. So that is an evening match on the 2nd day of first round matches. The tournament has given Carlos all the possible rest they could. We shall see if it is enough rest.