by ti-amie Court PHILIPPE-CHATRIER

Women’s Singles
BRA B.Haddad Maia (14) vs TUN O.Jabeur (7)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
POL I.Swiatek (1) vs USA C.Gauff (6)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
GER A.Zverev (22) vs ARG TM.Etcheverry
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
DEN H.Rune (6) vs NOR C.Ruud (4)

Court SUZANNE-LENGLEN

Men’s Legends
FRA G.Forget/FRA H.Leconte vs FRA M.Bahrami/FRA F.Santoro
Women’s Legends
UPCOMING
FRA N.Dechy/SVK D.Hantuchova vs FRA T.Golovin/FRA N.Tauziat
UPCOMING
Mixed Legends
BEL K.Clijsters/FRA A.Clement vs POL A.Radwanska/ESP S.Bruguera

Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
SEMIFINALS
JPN M.Kato/GER T.Puetz vs INA A.Sutjiadi/NED M.Middelkoop
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
SEMIFINALS
CAN B.Andreescu/NZL M.Venus vs CAN G.Dabrowski/USA N.Lammons
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
--- V.Kudermetova (15)/--- L.Samsonova (15) vs TPE SW.Hsieh/CHN X.Wang
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
CAN L.Fernandez (10)/USA T.Townsend (10) vs TPE L.Chan (14)/TPE HC.Chan (14)

Court 14

Girls’ Singles
JPN M.Crossley (8) vs CZE T.Valentova (11)
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
FRA A.Lew Yan Foon vs PER L.Perez Alarcon (6)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
USA D.Blanch vs BUL A.Dzhenev (14)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
BOL JC.Prado Angelo (8) vs CZE J.Hrazdil
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
CAN K.Rice/GBR H.Searle vs USA M.Exsted/SUI P.Schoen

Court 7

Quad Wheelchair Singles
3RD PLACE
NED N.Vink (1) vs CAN R.Shaw
Men’s Wheelchair Singles
UPCOMING
GBR A.Hewett (1) vs GBR G.Reid
Women’s Wheelchair Singles
UPCOMING
USA D.Mathewson vs NED J.Griffioen (3)
Men’s Wheelchair Doubles
UPCOMING
GBR A.Hewett (1)/GBR G.Reid (1) vs FRA F.Cattaneo/USA C.Ratzlaff

Court 6

Boys’ Singles
BUL I.Radulov (5) vs BRA J.Fonseca (10)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
USA L.Tien vs BEL A.Blockx (2)
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
TUR M.Ercan vs --- A.Ibragimova
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
USA TC.Grant (6)/USA C.Ngounoue (6) vs BUL I.Ivanova/ROU CM.Mester
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
NED T.Boogaard/NED A.Forger vs USA L.Tien (6)/USA C.Williams (6)

Court 4

Girls’ Singles
DEN R.Munk Mortensen vs ESP C.Esquiva Banuls
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
BUL I.Ivanova vs USA C.Ngounoue (2)
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FRA J.Lim/AUS L.Taylor vs GBR RA.Stoiber/GBR M.Xu
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
CZE A.Kovackova/CZE L.Samsonova vs AUS E.Jones/GBR H.Klugman

Court 5

Girls’ Singles
--- A.Gureva vs SVK R.Jamrichova (7)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
USA C.Williams (9) vs ITA L.Sciahbasi
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
MAR M.El Allami/MAR A.El Aouni vs JPN S.Ishii (4)/JPN E.Koike (4)
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
--- A.Gureva/JPN H.Kinoshita vs BUL R.Dencheva/--- A.Oktiabreva

Court 9

Boys’ Singles
CRO D.Prizmic (3) vs CZE M.Mrva
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
SRB T.Kostovic vs --- A.Oktiabreva
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
AUT J.Schwaerzler (15) vs ARG F.Cavallo
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
SVK R.Jamrichova (3)/ITA F.Urgesi (3) vs ITA F.Pace/ITA A.Teodosescu
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
ROU MA.Coman/SWE K.Edengren vs ITA L.Sciahbasi/ITA G.Vulpitta

Court 10

Girls’ Singles
AUS E.Jones vs --- A.Korneeva (3)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
GER D.Fix vs GBR H.Searle
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
ITA F.Bondioli (5)/CZE M.Mrva (5) vs FRA A.M'Chich/FRA L.Massard
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FRA P.Barbier Gazeu/SRB V.Radjenovic vs USA R.Horovitz/USA A.Razeghi
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
USA D.Blanch/USA A.Frusina vs GER D.Fix/GER M.Majdandzic

Court 11

Quad Wheelchair Singles
RSA D.Ramphadi vs NED S.Schroder (2)
UPCOMING
JPN M.Ohtani (4) vs RSA K.Montjane
Men’s Wheelchair Singles
UPCOMING
ESP M.De La Puente vs BEL J.Gerard (4)
Women’s Wheelchair Doubles
UPCOMING
CHI M.Cabrillana/GER K.Kruger vs JPN M.Tanaka (2)/CHN Z.Zhu (2)

Court 12

Quad Wheelchair Singles
GBR A.Lapthorne vs USA D.Wagner
UPCOMING
GER K.Kruger vs JPN Y.Kamiji (2)
Men’s Wheelchair Singles
UPCOMING
QUARTERFINALS
ARG G.Fernandez (3) vs JPN T.Miki
Women’s Wheelchair Doubles
UPCOMING
JPN Y.Kamiji (1)/RSA K.Montjane (1) vs COL A.Bernal/JPN S.Funamizu

Court 13

Quad Wheelchair Singles
JPN K.Sugeno (W) vs AUS H.Davidson
Men’s Wheelchair Singles
UPCOMING
NED R.Spaargaren vs JPN T.Oda (2)
UPCOMING
NED D.De Groot (1) vs FRA P.Deroulede
Men’s Wheelchair Doubles
UPCOMING
CHI A.Cataldo/NED T.Egberink vs FRA S.Houdet/JPN T.Sanada

by jazzyg What it is about Haddad Maia's game that has forced her to play three of the five longest matches of the year and four of the longest 16?

This one may go a while, too, the way both she and Jabeur play up-and-down tennis, albeit with different styles.

by ashkor87 not sure, but good question...

by ashkor87 I don't give either BHM or Coco much chance today..will be fun to watch though ...

by Fastbackss BHM really dug in at the end of the 2nd

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am I don't give either BHM or Coco much chance today..will be fun to watch though ...
Are you sure? :D

by ashkor87 Yes, saw that. I couldn't watch the match though..was OJ just short of match practice or did BHM play well?

by Suliso I'm hiking in the mountains today and thus didn't see it either...

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:02 am BHM really dug in at the end of the 2nd
And Jabeur dug her own grave. Terribly tight. I remembered how tight she got at the end of her R1 match vs Linette last year at RG, when she came in with huge expectations. There was some mumbling about a leg injury, too. The one that she came back from too early at Indian Wells. But at a set, 5-5 and break point, it's not the leg. Really tough loss for Jabeur. Happy for BHM. Iga will roll her, though.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:51 am Yes, saw that. I couldn't watch the match though..was OJ just short of match practice or did BHM play well?
Neither. The last set was a lot of errors from both sides.
About what is it about BHM playing long matches. I think that, for a woman of considerable size, she has limited power. The serve is not big, the FH is neither, the BH is too flat. Remember that her two tournament victories came on grass, which helps the lack of power.
She is a tall woman; 6 feet tall. But she does not crush the ball. So she scrapes a lot, and that means long matches.

by ashkor87 Not a high quality match then ...too bad

by ashkor87 I am sitting in traffic returning from a client meeting - hope to see some of Gauff-Swiatek...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:53 am I'm hiking in the mountains today and thus didn't see it either...
Well, you could hear Jabeur's choke from many kilometers away, so maybe you caught that coming over the Alps from France.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:59 am Not a high quality match then ...too bad
It had a lot of great play and incredible defense, but yeah, Jabeur choked or was hurt in the end. She also played the most bone-headed drop shots in the history of tennis.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:58 am
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:51 am Yes, saw that. I couldn't watch the match though..was OJ just short of match practice or did BHM play well?
Neither. The last set was a lot of errors from both sides.
About what is it about BHM playing long matches. I think that, for a woman of considerable size, she has limited power. The serve is not big, the FH is neither, the BH is too flat. Remember that her two tournament victories came on grass, which helps the lack of power.
She is a tall woman; 6 feet tall. But she does not crush the ball. So she scrapes a lot, and that means long matches.
How does she win, then? Match after match?

by ponchi101 She does not give up, and she plays good defense. And, she is doing well in this tournament, but it is not as if she has suddenly become a juggernaut. She did little during the clay court swing. QF's at Rome (Kalinina) and QF's at Stuttgart, where she won her 1st two matches when her opponents retired. This result is not the second coming of Seles.

by ashkor87 That was a strange, nervy first set...maybe the wind..? Swiatek will probably hand out her customary bagel in the second set but ..she didn't play all that well in the first..netted several easy put,-aways

by ashkor87 Coco not keen on bagels! Playing aggressively...vey right thing to do!

by ashkor87 Knocked Iga to the ground with a (perfectly legitimate) body shot at the net.. !

by Suliso Convincing enough by Swiatek, I would say. Pretty good tournament for Gauff too. Played to her ranking and will lose only one spot Monday.

by ponchi101 Two RG's in which she lost to Iga. Nothing bad about that.
However. 14 straight sets lost to Iga. She is not alone in that department, but it is something that has to be worked on.

by Suliso As ashkor might say Gauff is currently solid tier 2. Not yet able to threaten tier 1 players.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:56 pm Two RG's in which she lost to Iga. Nothing bad about that.
However. 14 straight sets lost to Iga. She is not alone in that department, but it is something that has to be worked on.
I am wary of saying anything about Coco on this forum but .
Last year she was extremely lucky with her draw..I mean Trevisan in the semis?! This year, not quite so lucky but until this round, she did not have to bear even a Tier 2 player to get here..
That said, her performance today was impressive..she held up quite well, not blown away ..much better than last year.

by jazzyg Gauff's record against top 20 players since the start of last year is 6-18, and that does not count a pair of straight-set losses to Halep in 2022 when Halep was just outside the top 20.

She made progress this tournament, stopping an 0-for-the-year streak when losing the first set by taking two in a row, but off of clay that balky forehand is going to kill her unless she does something about it. It hurts her on clay, too, but not as much because she has more time.

by ponchi101 I am still stuck in what to with her. If indeed it is the FH (and I think she hit one winner today from that wing), how come with such an experienced coaching team nobody notices and/or does anything to correct it?
BTW. My peeve: she missed a few volleys that, had she hit a normal one, were sitters.
But there is a reason why I am sitting at home and her coaches are with her in Paris.

by jazzyg That level from Etcheverry I would have thought would beat Zverev in four sets, but it was the reverse. Zverev has raised his game considerably and played a vintage match, including his usual bad patches when he bunched his errors to get broken. Etcheverry played at a high level from start to finish, but the difference in first serve determined the outcome.

Etcheverry likely will struggle on faster services, but I expect him to be a serious factor on clay for years to come. He has everything but the serve.

by Suliso I guess Zverev is just a class higher player overall.

by ti-amie Ruud romping through the first set so far. Rune was lucky to win one game...and Ruud takes the first set 6-1.

by ti-amie Ruud quickly up 3-1 in the second set...

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:08 pm I guess Zverev is just a class higher player overall.
Indeed. And people are at times too quick to write somebody off. Zverev has a huge 1st serve, the groundstrokes are excellent, because his BH is so good he never runs around it so his court positioning is always more balanced, and he is adept at the net.
I say he is now favored to reach the final. There, I don't think he would be able to deal with Djokovic, but last year he romped over Carlitos.

by jazzyg When Zverev is in form, he is a higher class player than almost everyone but the truly elite. That much is obvious, but he had shown nothing of that level this year.

Say what you really want to say, suliso.

by ti-amie Rune 4-2 in the third set...

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:37 pm
Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:08 pm I guess Zverev is just a class higher player overall.
Indeed. And people are at times too quick to write somebody off. Zverev has a huge 1st serve, the groundstrokes are excellent, because his BH is so good he never runs around it so his court positioning is always more balanced, and he is adept at the net.
I say he is now favored to reach the final. There, I don't think he would be able to deal with Djokovic, but last year he romped over Carlitos.
....You realize that this is the same player who, this clay court season, has two losses to Medvedev, and losses to Jarry, O'Connell- and a 1 & 2 loss to Carlos?!?! Combining with his ongoing recovery from his horrendous injury- It's not exactly a stretch to figure out why some of us have written Zverev off, at least for now.

Zverev has very much benefitted with being in the right half of the draw, and a lot of upsets in his half. He's not had to exactly beat HOF players to make the SF's.

Of course, with all of the pressures of a Slam, anything can happen. But, at least VERY prematurely- let's not try to make Zverev happen. And- from what I have seen- your ongoing discounting of Carlos' chances at winning tournaments and Slam titles is curious to me. Carlos made Musetti look pedestrian- and, for almost all of the match, did the same with Tsitsipas.

by ti-amie Has Rune finished his walkabout? He takes the third set 6-3.

by ti-amie Ruud 4-1 fourth set. Watching Rune he appears to be really tight.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:14 pm ...

....You realize that this is the same player who, this clay court season, has two losses to Medvedev, and losses to Jarry, O'Connell- and a 1 & 2 loss to Carlos?!?! Combining with his ongoing recovery from his horrendous injury- It's not exactly a stretch to figure out why some of us have written Zverev off, at least for now.

Zverev has very much benefitted with being in the right half of the draw, and a lot of upsets in his half. He's not had to exactly beat HOF players to make the SF's.

Of course, with all of the pressures of a Slam, anything can happen. But, at least VERY prematurely- let's not try to make Zverev happen. And- from what I have seen- your ongoing discounting of Carlos' chances at winning tournaments and Slam titles is curious to me. Carlos made Musetti look pedestrian- and, for almost all of the match, did the same with Tsitsipas.
Everything you say is correct. And I am not saying that Zverev would beat Carlitos, if they do meet in the final. I am only saying that last year, he did, so it might be competitive (which I don't think will be if he meets Novak).
And yes, due to all the losses you are pointing out, Zverev was being discounted. I thought he was good for a 2R, which was not the case. So, the opinion that people start saying that very good players are "washed up" (I don't know if you have ever considered that term ;) ) applies to me too.

by ti-amie Rune gets it to 3-5 but Ruud is serving for the match.

by ponchi101 Those were two fun last sets. Some quality points.
Is something missing from Rune's game?

by jazzyg This from Zverev on Etcheverry, whom everyone here appears to be underrating significantly. Time will tell, but that was a very high quality match, something I was not expecting from Zverev for the reasons nelsius enumerated.

"He is playing incredible tennis," Zverev said when asked about Etcheverry. "He reminds me a lot of [Juan Martin] del Potro. The way he plays and the way he hits his forehand. He is an incredible player. I think if he continues to play like this he will be in the quarter-finals here a lot more and he can be Top 10 and win big tournaments. He proved it this week and I wish him nothing but the best."

You could tell how much respect Zverev had for Etcheverry's game by their extended talk at the net after match point.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:18 pm Those were two fun last sets. Some quality points.
He looked nervous to me, tight. Ruud was by far the calm, more mature player. I don't watch Rune enough to have an opinion on his game to be honest.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:24 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:18 pm Those were two fun last sets. Some quality points.
He looked nervous to me, tight. Ruud was by far the calm, more mature player. I don't watch Rune enough to have an opinion on his game to be honest.
During the Tennis Channel broadcast, The Otherwise Annoying Courier was talking about Rune will need to work on conditioning so that he can handle 5-set Slam matches- which Is exactly what I had been thinking- i.e.- sometimes, Courier IS correct. Rune was able to bring up his energy big-time in the third set, blasting the ball all over the place, and at the beginning of the fourth set. But, Rune really seemed to be laboring in the 4th set. In any case, from midway on in the 4th set, Ruud played smart tennis, bullied Ruud through long rallies, and came to the net some. It was fun to watch- especially as the brat lost. :gorgeous:

by ti-amie So despite his being young and looking fit he doesn't have the stamina for five setters? Stefanos used to whine about making Slams three setters but he's shut up about that. Nelslus there are a lot of folks who agree with your analysis regarding conditioning/stamina.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:07 pmEverything you say is correct. And I am not saying that Zverev would beat Carlitos, if they do meet in the final. I am only saying that last year, he did, so it might be competitive (which I don't think will be if he meets Novak).
And yes, due to all the losses you are pointing out, Zverev was being discounted. I thought he was good for a 2R, which was not the case. So, the opinion that people start saying that very good players are "washed up" (I don't know if you have ever considered that term ;) ) applies to me too.
LOL- while I always try to start up at least most of the TAT Washed Up threads at random moments in player careers :gorgeous: - it takes me awhile to truly feel that a player who has reached greatness is Washed Up. I mean, come on now, Murray is Washed Up :gorgeous: :gorgeous: - and, it sure looks like Thiem is Washed Up. But, as much as I would be especially delighted if he does end up being Washed Up :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous: :gorgeous: - I would say that it is premature to view Zverev as Washed Up, in the long-term. (Now, at least, do a Rune and lose, Zverev.)

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:36 pm So despite his being young and looking fit he doesn't have the stamina for five setters? Stefanos used to whine about making Slams three setters but he's shut up about that. Nelslus there are a lot of folks who agree with your analysis regarding conditioning/stamina.
I mean, the brat is 20. Being fully and truly prepared for a Slam does take time. There aren't too many Rafa's and Carlos' out there who can win a Slam (or more, in Rafa's case) at very young ages. It took Roger and Novak some time to become better conditioned and win Slam titles. Plus, you also must learn how to polish Slam matches off more simply. Winning your most recent Slam match in a 5th set tiebreaker, and letting Eubanks take you to four mostly tough sets on clay, just cannot happen. So, the brat definitely has time on his side, and I do see him as a potential Slam winner. (*LET me be wrong here, PLEASE.)

by nelslus ....Meanwhile, watch Novak win this damned thing and eventually get to 32 or whatever. :freaking:

by nelslus ....AND, I should add that there are obviously players who, while they may or may not win Slams, thrive better during 5-set, pressure Slam matches vs. regular tour events. The big match players.

by jazzyg Rune is extremely talented. He is not physically ready to compete for a slam. Once he was fortunate to get past Cerundolo in five sets the previous round, using up a ton of energy in the process, the result against Ruud was in the cards.

Zverev vs. Ruud will be interesting even if the match will be rather one-dimensional. I have not seen enough of either this year to have a good feel for the winner, but Zverev's first serve should give him the advantage. He needs to hold up physically after not going deep into many events this year.

by ponchi101 Which cuts the other way too. He should have plenty in the tank.
As should Casper, as he has been bumped from most tournaments early too.