With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'23 Wimbledon Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
skatingfan Canada

Re: '23 Wimbledon Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Post by skatingfan »

That was impressive from Jabeur.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I can't wait for the Jabeur-Rybakina match.

I really felt Jabeur should have won the final last year, but the moment got to her after she won the first set. Rybakina is playing even better this year than last year, though. I just want to see Jabeur fight all the way and not panic or get down on herself. I have no prediction on the result, but I enjoy watching Jabeur play 100 times more than Rybakina.

Kvitova simply is not good at Wimbledon anymore, failing to reach the quarterfinal since her last victory. People keep looking for something that is not there with her one-dimensional game and up-and-down ball-striking.
Last edited by jazzyg on Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

HOWEVER....

GO CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!! (I just woke up. We went to the Chicago qualies yesterday- and me and heat do not work. :gorgeous: )
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:32 pm I can't wait for the Jabeur-Rybakina match.

I really felt Jabeur should have won the final last year, but the moment got to her after she won the first set. Rybakina is playing even better this year than last year, though. I just want to see Jabeur fight all the way and not panic or get down on herself. I have no prediction on the result, but I enjoy watching Jabeur play 100 times more than Rybakina.
I think it's on Rybakina's racket. She can be inconsistent, though. I expect her to win.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:39 pm
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:32 pm I can't wait for the Jabeur-Rybakina match.

I think it's on Rybakina's racket. She can be inconsistent, though. I expect her to win.
The way she is serving, I agree with you. But Jabeur absolutely has the shots to beat her if she does not get a high percentage of first serves in.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:31 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:06 pm I expected more from Kvitova.
.....Ya think?!?! :D

Not shocked that she lost- although, obviously, I was hoping she would win today, especially with their H2H record. But....that score? Really sad- could be her worst result ever. Uggggghhhhh. :cry:
Worst ever? In such a long career there have been plenty of dissappointing results. Everyone who has played 10+ years have.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The people in ESPN down here were saying that it is indeed her worst match ever AT A SLAM.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:32 pmKvitova simply is not good at Wimbledon anymore, failing to reach the quarterfinal since her last victory. People keep looking for something that is not there with her one-dimensional game and up-and-down ball-striking.
Overly-harsh! Petra's is not a one-dimensional game by any sense. She serves and volleys at times, comes to the net, slices, she can mix up her serves, etc., etc. This year, I think this has a lot more to do with her being 33- and the ongoing issue with not having feelings in a few of her fingers.

I also don't think that, other than us Petra-nerds, not all that many were looking for much of anything concerning Petra.

Nevertheless, clearly, I can't argue against your point about Petra no longer being good at Wimbledon. Miami was a great win for her. But, after looking at parts of her matches at this Wimbledon- even the Sasnovich win wasn't as impressive as I had hoped when I watched it. Sasnovich was pretty awful, and Petra's level was not all that impressive. And, obviously, her other wins weren't all that great. This almost definitely was her last gasp at Wimbledon/Slams relevance. Sad, sad.

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:49 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:31 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:06 pm I expected more from Kvitova.
.....Ya think?!?! :D

Not shocked that she lost- although, obviously, I was hoping she would win today, especially with their H2H record. But....that score? Really sad- could be her worst result ever. Uggggghhhhh. :cry:
Worst ever? In such a long career there have been plenty of dissappointing results. Everyone who has played 10+ years have.
I actually meant to post that this could be her worst BIG/Slam match result ever. At least it's a candidate. But, sure, thanks for reminding me that, certainly, Petra's had plenty more horrible match results. :gorgeous: :oops:
Last edited by nelslus on Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:59 pm The people in ESPN down here were saying that it is indeed her worst match ever AT A SLAM.
....So, THERE, Suliso!! :fuelfire:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Still doubt it. In my book the worst results are then you're close to winning and still fall short. Like losing a break advantage in the third and maybe few match points squandered as well. This was not one of those matches.
Last edited by Suliso on Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, I thought we were talking about NUMERICALLY.
Sure, Novotna's loss against Graf will always be one of the worst losses in history, but the score was close. This time, Petra simply was never able to even get into the match.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm Still doubt it. I my book the worst results are then you're close to winning and still fall short. Like losing a break advantage in the third and maybe few match points squandered as well. This was not one of those matches.
....Ponchi's ESPN sources back me up. I win, you lose. :gorgeous:

NOW, please gracefully allow me to wallow in this putrid Petra result already. :gorgeous: :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:09 pm Well, I thought we were talking about NUMERICALLY.
Sure, Novotna's loss against Graf will always be one of the worst losses in history, but the score was close. This time, Petra simply was never able to even get into the match.
....JUST when I thought you were being helpful in my Suliso War. We're just talking about Petra's results at this time. Let's not EVER AGAIN encourage any mention of the dull, dull Steffi. And, please don't confuse Suliso and me during our cat-fight here. :gorgeous:
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Have Saint Holger and Andreeva met yet?