42 Cocciaretto, Elisabetta (ITA)
43 Gracheva, Varvara (RUS)
45 Zhang, Shuai (CHN)
47 Paolini, Jasmine (ITA)
52 Davis, Lauren (USA)
53 Navarro, Emma (USA)
55 Fruhvirtova, Linda (CZE)
57 Stearns, Peyton (USA)

by ti-amie WC's have been granted to Garcia, Kudermetova, Fernandez and V. Williams

by ti-amie Qualifying Draw

Wang Xinyu (1)
vs P. Tig
R. Hanford vs J. Loeb (11)

C. Burel (2) vs D. Hewitt
A. Muhammad vs S. Sorribes Tormo (10)

M. Trevisan (3) vs A. Smith
V. Strakhova vs Wang Xiyu (9)

N. Podoroska (4) vs E. Routliffe
V. Hu vs C. Tauson (8)

A. Sasnovich (5) vs G. Poznikhirenko
J. Aney vs F. Contreras (12)

M. Frech (6) vs G. Naya
E. Perez vs T. Korpatsch (7)

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 pm WC's have been granted to Garcia, Kudermetova, Fernandez and V. Williams
Yes. Rest will not help them one bit; time on court will.

by ashkor87 Good to see..there are many players here who need a few matches..Venus, Krejcikova,Alexandrova, Badosa...

by ashkor87 Samsonova should not play ..hope she drops out.she needs rest, not more work..

by ashkor87 Pliskova, Garcia and Sakkari..all enigmas...what are they, what to expect of them? Same with FAA and Zverev...

by ponchi101 Pliskova: she is no longer a factor. Cash these last checks, retire, she had a very fine career. To me, an overachiever.
Garcia. Agree. Everybody can have a bad stretch. What is happening to her is beyond that.
Sakkari. She has been playing the same game for years now. She works too hard on her conditioning, which is not what needs work.
Zverev. He is looking better. Tomorrow's match against Novak will tell a lot. He does not need to win; but taking one set will say he is coming back to form.
FAA. Should sit down and talk to Garcia. Very similar situations. No injuries, no external problems, and is does seem like he has forgotten how to play. Which does happen.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: FAA. Should sit down and talk to Garcia. Very similar situations. No injuries, no external problems, and is does seem like he has forgotten how to play. Which does happen.
I think he has been battling an injury or some illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:36 am
ponchi101 wrote: FAA. Should sit down and talk to Garcia. Very similar situations. No injuries, no external problems, and is does seem like he has forgotten how to play. Which does happen.

Would be good to know. It would explain a lot, but I can't recall hearing anything. if you do, please do tell :)

by ashkor87 Re FAA, I heard someone (some expert, dont remember who) say that he relied too much on his serve.. when it came back, (as it sometimes does!), he didnt know what to do.. no plan B

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:22 am Pliskova: she is no longer a factor.
but the thing is, she suddenly plays well sometimes..

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:36 am

Would be good to know. It would explain a lot, but I can't recall hearing anything. if you do, please do tell :)
Wertheim mentioned a recurring or long illness at RG, I think. I’m vague on details - and I think he was, too - but he definitely insinuated there was something going on, and maybe FAA isn’t even sure what it is. Something along those lines.

by ti-amie Main Draw Singles

FRA C. Garcia (1)
vs CZE L. Fruhvirtova
USA P. Stearns vs Qualifier
USA S. Stephens vs AUT J. Grabher
CHN L. Zhu vs RUS A. Blinkova (8)

RUS E. Alexandrova (4) vs ROU P. Tig
USA E. Navarro vs ITA J. Paolini
Qualifier vs Qualifier
ROU I. Begu vs EGY M. Sherif (7)

ITA E. Cocciaretto (6) vs USA L. Davis
RUS M. Andreeva vs USA V. Williams
CZE K. Siniakova vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs RUS V. Kudermetova (3)

UKR A. Kalinina (5) vs ROU A. Bogdan
GER T. Maria vs FRA V. Gracheva
CZE L. Noskova vs CAN L. Fernandez
Qualifier vs CZE B. Krejcikova (2)

by skatingfan FAA was definitely injured through to Wimbledon. My understanding is he was struggling with a knee injury since March, but they mentioned during the Canadian Open that the injury was behind him now.

by ashkor87 Alexandrova is the best player in this field, in my estimate (I know, I know..we shall see)
No idea if she is recovering from injury or something...did not do anything at Cincy..hope she is ok

by ti-amie Day 2 Order of Play

Stadium Court Starts at 10:00 AM

Qualifying
CHN X. WANG (1) vs USA J. LOEB (11)
UPCOMING
Qualifying
ITA M. TREVISAN (3) vs CHN X. WANG (9)
UPCOMING
Round of 16
CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (1) vs UKR L. KICHENOK/UKR N. KICHENOK
UPCOMING
Round of 32
CZE L. NOSKOVA vs CAN L. FERNANDEZ
UPCOMING
Round of 32
RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (4) vs ROU P. TIG

Court 1 Starts at 10:00 AM

Qualifying
FRA C. BUREL (2) vs ESP S. SORRIBES TORMO (10)
UPCOMING
Qualifying
BLR A. SASNOVICH (5) vs MEX F. CONTRERAS (12)
UPCOMING
Round of 32
CHN L. ZHU vs RUS A. BLINKOVA (8)
UPCOMING
Round of 16
KAZ A. DANILINA/TPE S. HSIEH (4) vs GEO O. KALASHNIKOVA/CZE M. KOLODZIEJOVA

Court 2 Starts at 10:00 AM

Qualifying
ARG N. PODOROSKA (4) vs DEN C. TAUSON (8)
UPCOMING
Qualifying
POL M. FRECH (6) vs GER T. KORPATSCH (7)
UPCOMING
Round of 16
CHI A. GUARACHI/USA A. MUHAMMAD vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE
UPCOMING
Round of 16
TPE L. CHAN/CHN Z. YANG vs JPN M. NINOMIYA/USA S. SANTAMARIA

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:16 am Alexandrova is the best player in this field, in my estimate (I know, I know..we shall see)
No idea if she is recovering from injury or something...did not do anything at Cincy..hope she is ok
Her and Kudermetova.
Garcia and Krejcikova are simply enjoying the points from a while ago.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:22 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:16 am Alexandrova is the best player in this field, in my estimate (I know, I know..we shall see)
Her and Kudermetova.
Garcia and Krejcikova are simply enjoying the points from a while ago.
Krejcikova is the best player in the draw, IMO. Rough results lately, but she finaled a grass-court event while Alexandrova won a grass-court title. Krejcikova has a 1000 title to her name this year, beating Iga (Dubai).

by JTContinental Sloane Stephens is the best player in the draw, IMO. Now if only she would believe it.

by ashkor87 Certainly, Krejcikova is the class of this field but something seems to be wrong with her, maybe mental.. has failed to make an impact after the mideast swing...

by ashkor87 I wish Samsonova would sit out this one...she will be a spent force at the USO though I wasn't expecting much from her there..the court will be too fast for her.

by ponchi101 A spent force? Look at her schedule. 1R at WImbledon. Then, sure, she had a good run at both DC and Canada, but took this week off. If she can't play that amount of matches without being spent...
I know that I alone in this one, but this idea that players cannot play three weeks in a row is getting out of hand. I am old enough to remember Vilas playing every week, wielding a 15oz racquet.
Iga said something like that a few days ago. That her tank was empty. Really?

I remember once when Henri Laconte stated he was "burnout". That he needed to take some time off from the sport: "I feel I need I need to put down the racquet for a while. Maybe 3. 4 days..."

by jazzyg In 1995, Agassi lost to Becker in the semis of Wimbledon, took a week off, then won Washington and Montreal back to back, took a week off and then won Cincinnati and New Haven back to back, going 20-0 before the US Open.

When I hear players say they need a break now, I think of his summer of '95 and laugh. Three years later he played five straight weeks in the summer and went 18-3.

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:02 pm In 1995, Agassi lost to Becker in the semis of Wimbledon, took a week off, then won Washington and Montreal back to back, took a week off and then won Cincinnati and New Haven back to back, going 20-0 before the US Open.

When I hear players say they need a break now, I think of his summer of '95 and laugh. Three years later he played five straight weeks in the summer and went 18-3.
Where he reached the final and lost to Pete, a loss not due to fatigue.
Thanks for that perspective.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:34 am Sloane Stephens is the best player in the draw, IMO. Now if only she would believe it.
Hmmm. Sloane at her best vs Krejcikova at her best? Tough one. I don't know how the matchup would work, but I think I'd take Krejcikova. More variety. Better at net.

They have played once, the year Krejcikova won the French. She beat Sloane 2 and 0.

by skatingfan
jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:02 pm In 1995, Agassi lost to Becker in the semis of Wimbledon, took a week off, then won Washington and Montreal back to back, took a week off and then won Cincinnati and New Haven back to back, going 20-0 before the US Open.

The summer of vengeance.

by ti-amie Ed Salmon
@fogmount@mas.to
Qualifiers placed in Cleveland: #tennis

(LL) Trevisan–Stearns
Wang Xiyu–Grabher
Sasnovich–Navarro
Burel–(Q) Wang Xinyu
Frech–(11) Paolini
(LL) Sorribes Tormo–Siniakova
Podoroska–Kudermetova
(LL) Tauson–Krejcikova

(Sherif, Cocciaretto, and Begu withdrew.)

by ti-amie Day 3 Order of Play

Stadium Court Starts at 11:00 AM

USA E. NAVARRO vs BLR A. SASNOVICH
FOLLOWED BY
DEN C. TAUSON vs CZE B. KREJCIKOVA (2)
FOLLOWED BY
FRA C. GARCIA (1)
vs CZE L. FRUHVIRTOVA
NOT BEFORE 6:30 PM
USA S. STEPHENS (9)
vs USA L. DAVIS
FOLLOWED BY
ARG N. PODOROSKA vs RUS V. KUDERMETOVA (3)

Court 1 Starts at 11:00 AM

FRA C. BUREL vs CHN X. WANG
FOLLOWED BY
POL M. FRECH vs ITA J. PAOLINI (11)
FOLLOWED BY
RUS M. ANDREEVA vs GER T. KORPATSCH
FOLLOWED BY
UKR A. KALININA (5)
vs ROU A. BOGDAN
FOLLOWED BY
TPE H. CHAN/MEX G. OLMOS vs JPN S. AOYAMA/JPN E. SHIBAHARA (3)

Court 2 Starts at 11:00 AM

CHN X. WANG vs AUT J. GRABHER
FOLLOWED BY
USA P. STEARNS vs ITA M. TREVISAN
FOLLOWED BY
CZE K. SINIAKOVA vs ESP S. SORRIBES TORMO
FOLLOWED BY
SVK T. MIHALIKOVA/CHN Y. XU vs JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI

by JTContinental Looks like Venus is out too--she was scheduled to play Andreeva and now I see it's Korpatsch

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:20 pm
JTContinental wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:34 am Sloane Stephens is the best player in the draw, IMO. Now if only she would believe it.
Hmmm. Sloane at her best vs Krejcikova at her best? Tough one. I don't know how the matchup would work, but I think I'd take Krejcikova. More variety. Better at net.

They have played once, the year Krejcikova won the French. She beat Sloane 2 and 0.
This is a hard court though.. Sloane is certainly better on hard..?

by ponchi101 Her USO title would say that, but I don't think that the court differences are that important nowadays.
Krejcikova has shown glimpses of being the better player as of late. She did get a 1000 this year: Sloane has been nowhere near that for a few years now.

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:39 am I wish Samsonova would sit out this one...she will be a spent force at the USO though I wasn't expecting much from her there..the court will be too fast for her.
Samsonova is not in the draw any more. In other news, Tauson has taken out Krejcikova in the first round, and will face Fernandez in round 2.

by nelslus BTW, it turns out that Emma Navarro had a 5-0 lead in the third set- only to lose to Sasnovich 7-5 in the third. :shock:

by ponchi101
skatingfan wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:45 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:39 am I wish Samsonova would sit out this one...she will be a spent force at the USO though I wasn't expecting much from her there..the court will be too fast for her.
Samsonova is not in the draw any more. In other news, Tauson has taken out Krejcikova in the first round, and will face Fernandez in round 2.
We have said it. Krejcikova is not going anywhere at the moment. She may be BIG 4 in Prague, or maybe one its boroughs. That's about it.

by JTContinental Siniakova retired with an injury too, which might hamper their doubles quest at the Open.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:04 pm
skatingfan wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:45 pm
We have said it. Krejcikova is not going anywhere at the moment. She may be BIG 4 in Prague, or maybe one its boroughs. That's about it.
I am sure she regrets that comment..it sounded a bit absurd, now more so...

by ti-amie Day 4 Order of Play

GER T. MARIA vs FRA V. GRACHEVA
FOLLOWED BY
CHN X. WANG vs ITA J. PAOLINI (11)
FOLLOWED BY
FRA C. GARCIA (1)
vs USA P. STEARNS
CAN L. FERNANDEZ vs DEN C. TAUSON
FOLLOWED BY
BLR L. MAROZAVA/BRA I. GAMARRA MARTINS vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (2)

AUT J. GRABHER vs CHN L. ZHU
NOT BEFORE 12:30 PM
USA D. HEWITT/USA J. LOEB vs RUS E. ALEXANDROVA/BLR A. SASNOVICH
FOLLOWED BY
CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (1)
vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE

by ashkor87 Tauson quite unimpressive.. Krejcikova gave away too many UFEs..

by patrick
JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:11 pm Siniakova retired with an injury too, which might hamper their doubles quest at the Open.

That may be a precautionary measure

by ti-amie Day 5 Order of Play

RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (4)
vs BLR A. SASNOVICH
FOLLOWED BY
UKR A. KALININA (5)
vs GER T. MARIA
FOLLOWED BY
ESP S. SORRIBES TORMO vs RUS V. KUDERMETOVA (3)
USA S. STEPHENS (9) vs RUS M. ANDREEVA
FOLLOWED BY
JPN M. NINOMIYA/USA S. SANTAMARIA vs TPE H. CHAN/MEX G. OLMOS

Quarter finals
GEO O. KALASHNIKOVA/CZE M. KOLODZIEJOVA vs JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI

by ti-amie Day 6 Order of Play

Quarter finals
RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (4) vs CHN X. WANG
UPCOMING
Quarter finals
FRA C. GARCIA (1) vs CHN L. ZHU
UPCOMING
Quarter finals
RUS E. ALEXANDROVA/BLR A. SASNOVICH vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (2)
Quarter finals
TBD vs ESP S. SORRIBES TORMO
UPCOMING
Quarter finals
GER T. MARIA vs CAN L. FERNANDEZ

by JTContinental So far, Sloane is giving Mirra a lesson in shot selection, up a set and 2 breaks before the rain.

by ashkor87
She has reached the semis...not bad..Sloane and Krejcikova didn't.. not good. Of course the winner here is highly unlikely to do well at the USO..

by ti-amie Day 7 Order of Play

Stadium Court Starts at 02:30 PM

Semifinal
CHN L. ZHU vs RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (4)
UPCOMING
Semifinal
CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE vs JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI
UPCOMING
Semifinal
ESP S. SORRIBES TORMO vs GER T. MARIA
UPCOMING
Semifinal
TPE H. CHAN/MEX G. OLMOS vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (2)

by ashkor87 saw a bit of Sorribes Tormo beating Sloane.. cat and mouse game that ST won. Sloane didnt seem willing to come forward and take risks against ST's moonballs..I expect Maria will.

by ti-amie Ed Salmon
@fogmount@mas.to
The Cleveland tournament has not been well run this year. Early in the week, the WTA occasionally showed winner/unforced error stats, but the numbers were nonsensical. Yesterday, there were plausible W/UE stats for the 2 quarterfinals in the night session. Today there were sort-of plausible W/UE stats for the 1st set of this match but not for the match as a whole. And multiple times this week players were sent out even though anyone who looked out a window could see it was about to rain. #tennis

by ti-amie Day 8 Order of Play

Stadium Court

Starts at 01:00 PM

Final
RUS E. ALEXANDROVA (4) vs ESP S. SORRIBES TORMO
FOLLOWED BY
Final
JPN M. KATO/INA A. SUTJIADI vs TBD

by ponchi101 And SST takes down Alexandrova, maybe by both boring her to tears and driving her to despair with her game (first) and her screams (second).
And I would not have put SST as any kind of possible winner this week.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:And SST takes down Alexandrova, maybe by both boring her to tears and driving her to despair with her game (first) and her screams (second).
And I would not have put SST as any kind of possible winner this week.
And Kato won the doubles, poetically