1 United States Coco Gauff/United States Jessica Pegula 5,565
2 Australia Storm Hunter/ Belgium Elise Mertens 5,130
3 Japan Shuko Aoyama/Japan Ena Shibahara 3,790
4 Czech Republic Barbora Krejčíková/Czech Republic Kateřina Siniaková 3,785
5 United States Desirae Krawczyk/Netherlands Demi Schuurs 3,570
6 Germany Laura Siegemund/Vera Zvonareva 3,405
7 Canada Gabriela Dabrowski/New Zealand Erin Routliffe 3,386
8 United States Nicole Melichar-Martinez/Australia Ellen Perez 3,325

by ti-amie Otis hit the west coast of Mexico and now Tammy may be saying "hold my cerveza"

by ti-amie Casablanca Shocked...

Mateusz Wasiewski
@wasiiewskim
❌ Tenisistki nie rozpoczną treningów na głównym obiekcie w czwartek.

Zawodniczki będą mogły zapoznać się z nawierzchnią kortu głównego najwcześniej w sobotę - na dzień przed startem #WTAFinals. 😬
Translated from Polish by Google
❌ Tennis players will not start training at the main facility on Thursday.

The players will be able to familiarize themselves with the surface of the main court on Saturday at the earliest - the day before the start #WTAFinals . 😬

by ti-amie Image

via @TurboKozak
@BartekIgnacik

As you can see most of this is in Polish. None of this is on the official @wta Xitter feed.

by ti-amie How long does it take cement/concrete to dry in F85 degrees and 64% humidity?

I'm hoping the stands hold up and no one decides to smash their racquet...

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:05 pm How long does it take cement/concrete to dry in F85 degrees and 64% humidity?

I'm hoping the stands hold up and no one decides to smash their racquet...
He he true that last bit!

by ptmcmahon
ti-amie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:59 pm Casablanca Shocked...
I use this all the time, but most of my co-workers are too young to understand :)

by ti-amie
EmpireHJ 🧭 @zxgarcia11
La realidad 🙃

by ti-amie Tennis Channel @TennisChannel
Iga Świątek and Elena Rybakina arriving for the draw ceremony in Cancún 🔥
#WTAFinals

Iga Swiatek

Elena Rybakina

by ti-amie TurboKozak @BartekIgnacik
Singles @WTAFinals

The group pics are horrific. Maybe they hired the cousin of a staffer?

by ti-amie TurboKozak
@BartekIgnacik
No to 💣 @WTAFinals

by ti-amie TurboKozak
@BartekIgnacik
Doubles
@WTAFinals

by ti-amie Seriously no professional photographer would have released those group pics - except for the doubles players - without a lot being done to clean them up.

by ti-amie Relevant Tennis
@RelevantTennis
Aryna sending kisses.

by ti-amie Relevant Tennis @RelevantTennis
Just share this selfie, please.

by ti-amie

by skatingfan
ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:12 pm I use this all the time, but most of my co-workers are too young to understand :)
That move came out 80 years ago - most of us should be too young to understand but that's no excuse for not having a proper meme education in the 21st century.

by skatingfan
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:39 pm TurboKozak @BartekIgnacik
Singles @WTAFinals

The group pics are horrific. Maybe they hired the cousin of a staffer?
Someone didn't get the memo. Swiatek looks stunning - almost unrecognizable in the best way.

by ptmcmahon
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:46 pm Seriously no professional photographer would have released those group pics - except for the doubles players - without a lot being done to clean them up.
My kids wouldn't post pictures that bad!

by ti-amie Someone on r/tennis said to wait until the official photos come out.

by ptmcmahon Bacalar Group

1. Aryna Sabalenka
4. Elena Rybakina
5. Jessica Pegula
8. Maria Sakkari

Chetumal Group

2. Iga Swiatek
3. Coco Gauff
6. Ons Jabeur
7. Marketa Vondrousova

by Suliso The obvious SF's are clear, but will there be surprises?

by ashkor87 Oh? Clear? Do tell...

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:40 am Oh? Clear? Do tell...
Sabalenka, Swiatek, Gauff, Rybakina

by ptmcmahon I’ll take Pegula over Rybakina for second spot in their group.

And we know there will be at least one surprise :)

by Suliso
skatingfan wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:39 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:40 am Oh? Clear? Do tell...
Sabalenka, Swiatek, Gauff, Rybakina
Of course. Not saying it's for certain, but on average those are the four best on hard courts.

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:58 pm Relevant Tennis @RelevantTennis
Just share this selfie, please.

Love the picture, and love Aryna for taking it.
Such a contrast of that infamous shot, ages ago, with all the players sitting on a bench and all of them glued to their phones because none could stand any of the others. These women are competitors, but not enemies.
And, yes. Iga is unrecognizable in a good way.

by ashkor87 Why is Iga the only one wearing red?!

by ashkor87 I will wait to see what the court is like .even hard courts have a wide range...

by JTContinental These photographs are awful. Did they hire my mother as the photographer?

by ti-amie Apparently it costs €475 per photo to get Getty to clean pics up. Since the WTA went really cheap and dirty with the facility my guess is they didn't have enough left to get the pics cleaned up. Talk about adding insult to injury.

by ti-amie Day 1 Order of Play 10/29/23

Estadio Paradisus

Starts at 02:30 PM

JPN S. AOYAMA/JPN E. SHIBAHARA (3) vs USA D. KRAWCZYK/NED D. SCHUURS (5)
NOT BEFORE 5:00 PM
KAZ E. RYBAKINA (4) vs USA J. PEGULA (5)
NOT BEFORE 6:00 PM
BLR A. SABALENKA (1) vs GRE M. SAKKARI (8)
FOLLOWED BY
USA C. GAUFF/USA J. PEGULA (1) vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (7)

by ti-amie Day 2 Order of Play 10/30/2023

Estadio Paradisus Starts at 02:30 PM

AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (2) vs JPN S. AOYAMA/JPN E. SHIBAHARA (3)
NOT BEFORE 5:00 PM
POL I. SWIATEK (2) vs CZE M. VONDROUSOVA (7)
NOT BEFORE 6:00 PM
USA C. GAUFF (3) vs TUN O. JABEUR (6)
FOLLOWED BY
USA D. KRAWCZYK/NED D. SCHUURS (5) vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (8)

by ti-amie TV Coverage (US Only)

via @tenniswatchers

by ti-amie

Iga is already getting to know the court.
Is it windy? Yes, it's windy.

by ti-amie Better view of the court

by ti-amie GNP Seguros WTA Finals Cancún, A Few Hours Away From Raising The Curtain

The stadium is ready for the competition to begin
A few hours before the action of the GNP Seguros WTA Finals Cancún begins, everything is in place to hold one more edition of the contest that closes the 2023 season, with the participation of the eight best singles and the eight best pairs.

The main stadium, located in the Paradisus hotel, and with capacity for four thousand people, shines in its splendor for the first matches, which begin on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. (local time).

The tournament will be played on hard courts, with the Wilson US Open Regular Duty ball. For the second time, Mexico is hosting this tournament, and once again declares itself ready for the challenge in record time.

It should be remembered that two years ago Guadalajara made the commitment, because the conditions in China were not ideal to hold the tournament, due to Covid-19.

The time to be ready was eight weeks.

This time, with 15 days less, the challenge was huge; However, the organizers are only waiting to raise the curtain.

In addition to the stadium, the hotel has two practice fields where the players trained during this week to adapt to the weather conditions; The vast majority agreed in commenting that the wind will be the most complicated factor they will face, but in addition, there is the fact that any match will be difficult, since the best eight in the world are playing and there will be no easy opponent.

Thus, the fans only wait for the spectacle of seeing the best exponents of the racket, who will offer their greatest effort to win the trophy.

The round robin phase begins this Sunday; Two doubles matches and two singles matches will be played each day.

The semifinals are played on Saturday, November 4 and the title matches on Sunday, the 5th.

https://www.wtafinalscancun.com/gnp-seg ... -el-telon/

Translated from the Spanish by Google.

by ashkor87 Windy conditions...the only thing we know yet. Won't help Sabalenka and other unguided missiles like her .Swiatek will be fine, her topspin will help control the ball..

by ashkor87 Without seeing what the court is like, I would project Swiatek, Vondrousova, Rybakina and Pegula

WTAfinalspic.jpeg
-->
by meganfernandez Ons looks amazing and regal and gorgeous. Iga is channeling Carrie at the prom. Sabalenka is wearing the Santa's Sexy Elf collection. Jess is a bit too matronly. Coco's okay but not that flattering - could look more her age (and the shoes, why?). Sakkari is safe but flawless anyway. Rybakina, I like it but kind of swallows her. Vondrousova, fine I guess, but looks a bit uncomfortable and like she's not at the same event as the other ones.
WTAfinalspic.jpeg

by ashkor87 Nice observations....

by ti-amie

She's speaking in English

by ti-amie Pegula came from behind to take the first set 7-5 from Rybakina who was ahead and in position to win the set but Pegula was not having it and took it from her. She won the second set 6-2. Does Rybakina not like the heat?

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:39 pm Pegula came from behind to take the first set 7-5 from Rybakina who was ahead and in position to win the set but Pegula was not having it and took it from her. She won the second set 6-2. Does Rybakina not like the heat?
IMO, this wasn't any kind of matter of Jessica "not having it" when she was down in the first set. At the point that Rybakina was up 5-3 in the first set- neither one of them were playing particularly well. From that point on, Rybakina played miserably- and Jessica (mostly) stopped her errors, played excellent defense, and let Rybakina self-destruct.

Just pathetic. Both tours have far too many players in the Top 10 who just fall apart far too often during any big matches. Makes it very hard to be a fan of these players (hopefully, Carlos will have a fully HOF career, if his health permits- and, Coco can put together a HOF career). Very tiring. :D

by ti-amie Thanks for this. I couldn't remember what the score was when Pegula went on her roll.( I was watching the NFL Red Zone at the same time) All I knew was that Rybakina didn't win another game after winning five games.

by ashkor87 What are conditions like? Not able to watch ..if someone has a sense, do enlighten me. I read the wind was a factor but not a big factor..

by ashkor87 Am on the road so cant see much. The 1 min video i did see ...court seems slow, really slow. No wonder Saba did well, and Sakkari couldn't do much ..

by ti-amie Following up on Ashkor's comments about court speed: doesn't it make sense that it would be slow since the concrete has barely dried and would therefore slow the ball down?

That said, Sakkari was only able to win one game? Maybe it's just me but I don't like seeing bagels at year end events.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:10 pm Following up on Ashkor's comments about court speed: doesn't it make sense that it would be slow since the concrete has barely dried and would therefore slow the ball down?

That said, Sakkari was only able to win one game? Maybe it's just me but I don't like seeing bagels at year end events.
They should have a WTA and ATP Head-Case of the Year award. SO much to choose from, after all. :gorgeous:

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Swiatek taking so long to tie her shoe laces they went ahead and did the coin toss while she finished.

by ti-amie Tuesday, October 31, 2023 Day 4

Court Central Starts At 11:00 Am

(Q) Marton Fucsovics VS (10) Alexander Zverev
Followed By
Daniel Altmaier VS Arthur Fils
Followed By
Ugo Humbert VS (Q) Marcos Giron
Followed By
(PR) Gael Monfils VS Francisco Cerundolo
Not Before 7:30 Pm
(Q) Roman Safiullin VS (2) Carlos Alcaraz
Not Before 8:30 Pm
(Q) Yoshihito Nishioka VS (5) Andrey Rublev

Court 1 Starts At 11:00 Am

(LL) Dusan Lajovic VS (WC) Benjamin Bonzi
Followed By
Sebastian Korda VS (11) Hubert Hurkacz
Followed By
Felix Auger-Aliassime VS Jan-Lennard Struff
Not Before 4:00 Pm
Tallon Griekspoor VS Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
Followed By
(16) Karen Khachanov
VS Laslo Djere
Followed By
Alexander Bublik VS Nicolas Jarry

Court 2 Starts At 11:00 Am

Miomir Kecmanovic VS Tomas Martin Etcheverry
Followed By
(Q) J.J. Wolf VS Mackenzie McDonald
Not Before 3:30 Pm / After Suitable Rest
Jannik Sinner/Stan Wawrinka VS Novak Djokovic/Miomir Kecmanovic
Followed By / After Suitable Rest
Marcelo Melo/Alexander Zverev VS Nathaniel Lammons/Jackson Withrow
Followed By / After Suitable Rest
(WC) Sadio Doumbia/Fabien Reboul VS (WC) Arthur Fils/Richard Gasquet
Followed By
Kevin Krawietz/Tim Puetz VS Alternate

by ashkor87 Coco is up 6-0,1-0 against Jabeur...again, without even watching, one can deduce the court is slow...lopsided scores happen when the serve doesn't count for much...on grass, scores like 7-6,7-5 happen because it is so hard to break serve..

by ti-amie Day 3 Order of Play

Estadio Paradisus
Starts at 02:30 PM

CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (4) vs GER L. SIEGEMUND/RUS V. ZVONAREVA (6)
FOLLOWED BY
BLR A. SABALENKA (1) vs USA J. PEGULA (5)
FOLLOWED BY
KAZ E. RYBAKINA (4) vs GRE M. SAKKARI (8)
FOLLOWED BY
AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (2) vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (8)

Note: As I type this the Gauff/Jabeur match is still isted as being suspended due to rain.

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:01 am Coco is up 6-0,1-0 against Jabeur...again, without even watching, one can deduce the court is slow...lopsided scores happen when the serve doesn't count for much...on grass, scores like 7-6,7-5 happen because it is so hard to break serve..
Jill Craybas, commentating at the final, mentioned the court was fast.

by JTContinental Coco won 6-0, 6-1–I didn’t see it, but maybe Ons isn’t 100% healthy?

by Suliso Lots of bakery products. Iga delivered one as well.

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:21 am
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:01 am Coco is up 6-0,1-0 against Jabeur...again, without even watching, one can deduce the court is slow...lopsided scores happen when the serve doesn't count for much...on grass, scores like 7-6,7-5 happen because it is so hard to break serve..
Jill Craybas, commentating at the final, mentioned the court was fast.
What do your eyes say,,? I can't see anything, am on the road

by skatingfan
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:05 am What do your eyes say,,? I can't see anything, am on the road
I don't have an eye for court speed, but speed is not something that can be judged well on tv screen.

by ashkor87
skatingfan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:22 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:05 am What do your eyes say,,? I can't see anything, am on the road
I don't have an eye for court speed, but speed is not something that can be judged well on tv screen.
True but what option do we have?

by ashkor87 Finally got to see video clip of Gauff-Jabeur..court is definitely on the slow side..one can see Jabeur struggling to get the ball through..of course, Coco's defence makes it difficult anyway. Now that wind doesn't seem to be a factor, I would pick Sabalenka and Swiatek to meet in the finals . Jabeur is certainly off..wonder if she is unwell..

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Just my opinion but nothing about this YEC says top tier tennis. The court situation was predictable after the shenanigans leading up to the beginning of the event but the pitiful scorelines? You're one of the top eight women in the world and you can only manage to win one game? You're one of the top eight in the world and you get served a bagel?

It's a pathetic situation.

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:07 pm Finally got to see video clip of Gauff-Jabeur..court is definitely on the slow side..one can see Jabeur struggling to get the ball through..of course, Coco's defence makes it difficult anyway. Now that wind doesn't seem to be a factor, I would pick Sabalenka and Swiatek to meet in the finals . Jabeur is certainly off..wonder if she is unwell..
The balls bounce really, really high and I don't think Cancun has an altitude situation like other courts in Mexico.

I think Ons has been playing injured for a long time.

by Owendonovan
ti-amie wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:53 pm Just my opinion but nothing about this YEC says top tier tennis. The court situation was predictable after the shenanigans leading up to the beginning of the event but the pitiful scorelines? You're one of the top eight women in the world and you can only manage to win one game? You're one of the top eight in the world and you get served a bagel?

and 2 of those matches were 6-0, 6-1.

by ti-amie Pegula up 6-4, 4-1 on Sabalenka

by ti-amie Day 4 Order of Play

Estadio Paradisus

Starts at 12:30 PM
GER L. SIEGEMUND/RUS V. ZVONAREVA (6) vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (7)
FOLLOWED BY
FOLLOWED BY
POL I. SWIATEK (2) vs USA C. GAUFF (3)
FOLLOWED BY
TUN O. JABEUR (6) vs CZE M. VONDROUSOVA (7)
FOLLOWED BY
USA C. GAUFF/USA J. PEGULA (1) vs CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (4)

by ponchi101 They should have leave this at Guadalajara. But noooooooo!, let's keep looking for a better place than the really, really good one we already have.
How is Steve Simon still at the helm of the WTA?

by ptmcmahon If Rybakina wins this match (she is up 6-4 0-5 of all scores) Pegula will win group and Sabalenka - Rybakina will play for second. Was right to be optimistic on Pegula, maybe not enough.

by ti-amie Rybakina broke Sakkari for 4-2 and Sakkari broke her back to love. She's serving 3-4 30-15 in the third set.

by ti-amie Sakkari forced a third set TB but she's down 0-5.

by ti-amie It's Rybakina 6-0, 6-7(4), 7-6(2).

by ptmcmahon So Pegula has won the group. So much for the obvious SFs :)

by texasniteowl I swear I looked and Pegula went 0-3 last year...so of course I didn't pick her to win the group this year! Figures!

by JTContinental Yes, she and Coco were a combined 0-9 at last years YEC

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:53 pm Just my opinion but nothing about this YEC says top tier tennis. The court situation was predictable after the shenanigans leading up to the beginning of the event but the pitiful scorelines? You're one of the top eight women in the world and you can only manage to win one game? You're one of the top eight in the world and you get served a bagel?

I think it is the court ..on some courts, the serve doesn't get you any free points, so if you are even playing 5% better than your opponent, you can win practically every point: because all points are the same.

by ti-amie Day 5 Order of Play

Estadio Paradisus

Starts at 12:30 PM

JPN S. AOYAMA/JPN E. SHIBAHARA (3) vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (8)
UPCOMING
AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (2) vs USA D. KRAWCZYK/NED D. SCHUURS (5)
UPCOMING
USA J. PEGULA (5) vs GRE M. SAKKARI (8)
UPCOMING
BLR A. SABALENKA (1) vs KAZ E. RYBAKINA (4)
UPCOMING
USA C. GAUFF/USA J. PEGULA (1) vs GER L. SIEGEMUND/RUS V. ZVONAREVA (6)

by Owendonovan I haven't paid any attention to her in years, but does Vera still have meltdowns?

by ashkor87 Zvonareva is known as the queen of wind..she can handle windy conditions better than anyone else..not sure where I heard this but it has stuck in my mind. Cancun is windy for sure..
Connors was another player who handled wind very well..not sure why .

by ptmcmahon Swiatek just needs to win one set to clinch a semifinal spot.

by ashkor87 I just love to watch Aoyama play doubles.. her instincts about when to intercept are simply out of this world..

by ti-amie Day 6 Order of Play

Estadio Paradisus Starts at 11:30 AM

CZE B. KREJCIKOVA/CZE K. SINIAKOVA (4) vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (7)
UPCOMING
UPCOMING
USA C. GAUFF (3) vs CZE M. VONDROUSOVA (7)
UPCOMING
POL I. SWIATEK (2) vs TUN O. JABEUR (6)

by Fastbackss Wonder when the sabalenka/rybakina match will resume and how it will end up. Was an interesting scoreline when it did

by ptmcmahon Scoreboard says it will be one hour before Gauff - Vondrousova. About 6 hours from now. May change due to doubles of course I'm guessing.

by ti-amie So far the WTA site is only listing this doubles match.

B. KREJCIKOVA CZE/K. SINIAKOVA (4) vs CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE

by ti-amie Per the Tennis One app:

Sabalenka vs Rybakina will follow the Doubles match in the above post. The scoreline is 6-2, 3-5

Estimated start time for Krawczyk/Schuurs vs Melichar/Perez is 2p which is weird since the other doubles match is still in the first set. It's 1:13p here in NYC

Gauff vs Vondrousova 4:30p
Swiatek vs Jabeur 6:00p

Gauff/Pegula vs Siegemund/Zvonareva at 7:30p

by ti-amie Rant:

WHY DO I HAVE TO CHECK AN APP TO FIND OUT THE SCHEDULE OF PLAY FOR THE WTA YEC?!

Rant over

by ti-amie WOW.
They sure got the doubles players off court fast.

Anyway Sabalenka and Rybakina are warming up

by ti-amie Gauff and Vondrousova leave the court due to rain.

by Suliso It's sad how WTA has damaged this event via incompetence and penny pinching. Mexican organizers are at fault as well.

by ti-amie

What would you call these weather conditions? Because we must agree that playing tennis in them may be difficult?
Ps. We are connecting with you on the occasion of our studio on Canal+ in just an hour, at 22:05.

Play is still suspended.

Also the WTA is annoyed with Polish media for keeping the focus on things like the above.

Z kortu - informacje tenisowe | Tennis news
@z_kortu
💬
@SaKostecka
: "To jest nasza praca, żeby Państwu pokazywać to, co jest na miejscu. Co więcej - niektóre osoby z WTA już gdzieś tam zaczynają węszyć, że im się to nie podoba, że my właśnie mówimy prawdę. No trudno, taka jest nasza rola tutaj. Po to tutaj przyjechaliśmy, nie na wakacje".

👏👏👏

🔗 Link:

📸 CANAL+ SPORT | YouTube | #WTAFinals
💬
@SaKostecka
: "It's our job to show you what's on the ground. What's more - some people from the WTA are already starting to snoop around, saying that they don't like it, that we're telling the truth. Well, that's too bad "This is our role here. That's why we came here, not for a holiday."

by ashkor87 Yup, shoot the messenger! The way of incompetent despots.

by ti-amie Day 8 Order of Play

Estadio Paradisus Starts at 12:30 PM

SUSPENDED
Round of 16
USA C. GAUFF/USA J. PEGULA (1) vs GER L. SIEGEMUND/RUS V. ZVONAREVA (6)
6 1 -
3 1 -

NOT BEFORE 1:00 PM
CAN G. DABROWSKI/NZL E. ROUTLIFFE (7) vs USA N. MELICHAR-MARTINEZ/AUS E. PEREZ (8)
FOLLOWED BY
TBD vs AUS S. HUNTER/BEL E. MERTENS (2)

SUSPENDED
Semifinal
BLR A. SABALENKA (1) vs POL I. SWIATEK (2)
1 - -
2 - -

by Fastbackss Oh sweet - ladies doubles in 3rd set TB.

Go to put on and it's Pickleball. Ironically another Pickleball tourney is also on one of ESPN channels.

Of course they weren't expecting to be playing now but what a kick in the shins

by ashkor87 Good call by Navratilova..she had predicted Pegula and Swiatek would make it...based on the windy conditions...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 hate to disagree with Navratilova but she thinks Pegula is going to beat Swiatek.. I dont think so.. sure, Pegula's footwork and compact strokes will help her but she simply isnt in Swiatek's class as a player, accoridng to me. Maybe I am wrong, we will see.

by Fastbackss Both of them looked really good in their wins, dismantling their opponent.
Swiatek looked more impressive to me because she won a whole lot of points she had no business winning

by ti-amie Swiatek so far is setting the pace and tone of the match and she's up 4-1 over Pegula first set. Pegula will have to find a way to break Swiatek's rhythm or this is over.

by ti-amie Iga 6-1 in 27 minutes.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie What a pitiful showing by Pegula. It's easy to say Iga dominated but if Pegula had not played like one of the tourists who wandered in from the hotel it might have been an interesting match.

What does it say that the last two GS winners barely made it past the RR stage?

Congratulations to Iga though. She was obviously on a mission.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87
ti-amie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:16 pm What does it say that the last two GS winners barely made it past the RR stage?
that court speed matters? The USO and Wimbledon are somewhat faster courts, the FO winner did ok, didnt she?

by Fastbackss Como se dice "bakery"

by Owendonovan I'm not sure of another tournament that was as bad as this one from start to finish. Frankly, I'm disgusted. Not to take anything from Iga, good for her to be ONLY player to keep her s(*t together for 5 matches. That was disappointing miserable, really no good tennis played by anyone.

by ti-amie Ewa @Strzewa91
Dream Team

by ashkor87
Owendonovan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:23 am I'm not sure of another tournament that was as bad as this one from start to finish. Frankly, I'm disgusted. Not to take anything from Iga, good for her to be ONLY player to keep her s(*t together for 5 matches. That was disappointing miserable, really no good tennis played by anyone.
They should have held a kite--flying competition instead...

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:13 am hate to disagree with Navratilova but she thinks Pegula is going to beat Swiatek.. I dont think so.. sure, Pegula's footwork and compact strokes will help her but she simply isnt in Swiatek's class as a player, accoridng to me. Maybe I am wrong, we will see.
And so it was...Swiatek is simply at another level..

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:16 pm What a pitiful showing by Pegula. It's easy to say Iga dominated but if Pegula had not played like one of the tourists who wandered in from the hotel it might have been an interesting match.

What does it say that the last two GS winners barely made it past the RR stage?

Congratulations to Iga though. She was obviously on a mission.
Iga was incredible. Her attitude was amazing. Her returns were insane. A true champion. I don't think she gets the respect she deserves.

by ptmcmahon Yeah I didn't see much, but what I saw made me think it was more Iga dominant than the other players being pitiful :)

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:28 pm ...

Iga was incredible. Her attitude was amazing. Her returns were insane. A true champion. I don't think she gets the respect she deserves.
How? I can't recall anybody ever saying anything bad about her.
I mean, I must be the worst player when it comes to criticizing her, and all I say is that her strokes are ghastly and she complaints a bit too much for my taste.
And, BTW. We now know the answer to why she was the only one wearing red for the inauguration. It was a warning.

by ashkor87 Swiatek is moving to a Djokovic-like game plan...few winners, fewer errors, just applying pressure without taking risks ..

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:28 pm ...

How? I can't recall anybody ever saying anything bad about her.
I mean, I must be the worst player when it comes to criticizing her, and all I say is that her strokes are ghastly and she complaints a bit too much for my taste.
And, BTW. We now know the answer to why she was the only one wearing red for the inauguration. It was a warning.
She doesn't get a lot of criticism, but she also doesn't come in for much praise, either. I feel like the response to her dominance and excellence is lukewarm. Formal acknowledgement that she's good but no reverence. She's incredible and should be a bigger star.

True about the dress....

by ptmcmahon Yeah - just as a comparison a few years ago if Serena blew through the WTA this easily I don't think people would have said the other competitors were pathetic.

by Owendonovan My only knock on Iga is that weird arm waving thing she does on rare occasion, otherwise I think she's fantastic and enjoyable to watch. And she's pals with Michaela Shiffrin.

by meganfernandez
Owendonovan wrote:My only knock on Iga is that weird arm waving thing she does on rare occasion, otherwise I think she's fantastic and enjoyable to watch. And she's pals with Michaela Shiffrin.
Yeah the wild arms are weird. Haven’t seen it in a while. I didn’t know they were pals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
ptmcmahon wrote:Yeah - just as a comparison a few years ago if Serena blew through the WTA this easily I don't think people would have said the other competitors were pathetic.
Exactly. Iga is objectively dominant. The way she imposes herself and plays with urgency and supreme confidence sets her apart. She knows exactly what she is trying to do. So locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk