With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

meganfernandez United States of America

Re: 2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:08 am Well, my Martic-Tomljanovic match is finally in session. 5-5 1st set. I can only score watch since ESPN is running Alcaraz-Gasquet.
Sorry! Rule of SP is to not talk about the match until it's over. Strong comeback by Ajla from 1-4 in the third, 2 breaks. Have to believe the crowd helped.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

And I'm out. Martic was up 4-1 in the 3rd but Tomljanovic came back and won 6-4.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

And while I may have met the same fate, at least I didn't get taken by Cirstea!
aidsasis Philippines

Post by aidsasis »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:08 am I can only score watch since ESPN is running Alcaraz-Gasquet.
Used to have the same problem until I switched from cable TV to streaming. Currently loving the power to watch any of the ongoing matches I want.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

aidsasis wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:20 pm Used to have the same problem until I switched from cable TV to streaming. Currently loving the power to watch any of the ongoing matches I want.
We use YoutubeTV plus other subs. Problem is keeping the number of subs down at any one time. Currently have Prime and Netflix and Hulu/Disney (but not ESPN+) on top of yttv. Then other stuff gets rotated in for a month or two at a time to binge particular things. Example, in a couple weeks I'll have to do Apple+ for a month to watch Masters of the Air. We had Paramount for a couple things for a while. Starz for a month for Outlander. It can easily get to be nuts! Still...if I really really wanted I could add ESPN+ for a month.

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:15 pm And while I may have met the same fate, at least I didn't get taken by Cirstea!
Way to look on the bright side. Martic SHOULD have won, so you weren't far off.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 am Too superstitious to post before my pick is through!! Don't want to jinx her
I'd be so scared I'd mentally think I made my pick and then forget to actually do it :)
:steven:
aidsasis Philippines

Post by aidsasis »

texasniteowl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm if I really really wanted I could add ESPN+ for a month
Oh that's exactly what I do too! I only subscribe on Grand Slam months!
MediaGrrl Ireland

Post by MediaGrrl »

weefunk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:39 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:12 am
Collins: Imagine picking a recent finalist to beat a former champion in round 1! Do you also fight bears? Do you like polar plunges? It might work out - after all, Kerber let herself get bageled by Sakkari at the United Cup - but Collins isn't in the business of winning matches these days. Apropos of nothing, Collins is wearing blousy pink ruffled shorts. I sewed a pair like this in home-ec class in 1986.
I will admit, I'm not a Collins fan, and that outfit did not help matters. All I could think of was "baby romper".

I've been enjoying your comments. I was bounced out from both the WTA and ATP pools today, so reading critiques of everyone's picks will be the extent of my participation going forward. Thanks for the laughs.
Exactly what I was going to say - your comments are very fun to read, and, well, I would say you have a critical fashion eye but you'd have to be blind, or Ostapenko, to deny the hideousness of Danielle's romper.

Post by meganfernandez »

MediaGrrl wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 pm
weefunk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:39 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:12 am
Collins: Imagine picking a recent finalist to beat a former champion in round 1! Do you also fight bears? Do you like polar plunges? It might work out - after all, Kerber let herself get bageled by Sakkari at the United Cup - but Collins isn't in the business of winning matches these days. Apropos of nothing, Collins is wearing blousy pink ruffled shorts. I sewed a pair like this in home-ec class in 1986.
I will admit, I'm not a Collins fan, and that outfit did not help matters. All I could think of was "baby romper".

I've been enjoying your comments. I was bounced out from both the WTA and ATP pools today, so reading critiques of everyone's picks will be the extent of my participation going forward. Thanks for the laughs.
Exactly what I was going to say - your comments are very fun to read, and, well, I would say you have a critical fashion eye but you'd have to be blind, or Ostapenko, to deny the hideousness of Danielle's romper.
Thank you! I definitely love the clothes. Collins's shorts made me gasp in horror. Funny about "or Ostapenko." :)

Are you in the media? Because MediaGrrl.
MediaGrrl Ireland

Post by MediaGrrl »

sadly for me in 2023, yes, I'm in television production!

Post by meganfernandez »

Day 4 Summary - 59 of you went to battle today, and you left no one behind without a pick. God's speed.

Wozniacki -14
Fernandez - 12
Garcia - 7
Tsurenko - 6
Sakkari - 5
Mertens - 4
Haddad Maia - 3
Juvan - 2
Pavlyuchenkova - 2
Anisimova - 1
Jabeur - 1
Krejckkova - 1
Rakhimova - 1

FULL REACTIONS:
Remember. I was out on Day 1. I am in no position to judge. But I get to anyway.

Wozniacki - you'll sail through, but she is in a soft section where I'd take her over both BHM and Sakkari, I think. I'm betting on a 2017 Featherweight Flashback, Mertens vs Wozniakic, for a spot in the quarters.

Fernandez - You're golden if she wins because she will get Coco'd in the next round, but I predict a close match, like 60/40. (With no evidence, like a head-to-head or ever having seen Parks play a full match.) Parks is only ranked a couple spots behind Leylah. This isn't a gimme.

Garcia - You could have played her in the next round, but also, she could beat Gauff. Yes, I said it. Gauff is fantastic but she isn't unbeatable by any means. Garcia appears to be in great form again. If you're playing for the Updated thread, solid pick. If you're playing for glory, you have to hold on to these cards.

Tsurenko - I have no clue. I hope you do. By ranking, she should beat Masarova and then lose next round to Sabalenka. if you know enough to feel good about this pick, it's a smart one.

Sakkari - It is possible to win a SP without ever taking this risk, you know. :) But odds are she will win, and I don't expect her to live up to her seeding. I like Mertens to beat Sakkari if they both get through. I should respect Sakkari more. I'm just never surprised when she loses.

Mertens - too early. Is this the "last safe time to pick her" move?

Haddad Maia - solid pick and I think Wozniacki might beat her, so I can get behind this. Which is bad news for you because I am dreadful at WTA SPs.

Juvan - Remember when she almost did something special about 5 or 6 years ago, then got hurt? That, and that she is Iga's close friend, is the extent of my knowledge about Juvan. I know she was a touted prospect and has loads of talent. This is probably a savvy pick.

Pavs - A toss-up considering Badosa won so easily in the first round, and then no idea if Anisimova can keep up her good form in the next round, Bit of a wild shot but could pay off.

Anisimova - I think she will win, but might go another round, too. And then it could get interesting in Sabalenka's section. Remember when Sabalenka was the red-hot pick to win the 2019 AO after blazing through the summer and fall of 2018? All the experts were picking her to break out here. She lost in the third round to Anisimova, 3 and 2.

Jabeur - I think Jabeur will live to fight another day on clay and at Wimbledon. I don't think she is irreparably damaged from last year, as some do. And she looked good in the first two rounds. But Andreeva is dangerous, and she just bageled the first set.

Krejcikova - I like this pick. Siegemund likely in the next round, and she is at her most honey-badgery right now. I wouldn't want to pick Krejcikova then. Good time to use her.

Rakhimova - Who? Is this the mysterious "Other" Ponchi is always talking about? Mr_socko, care to explain? She isn't ranked much higher than her opponent.

Good luck, everyone.

Post by meganfernandez »

MediaGrrl wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:07 am sadly for me in 2023, yes, I'm in television production!
Haha! I'm in print, so same. Bleak times. Are you in news?

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 am
Wozniacki - you'll sail through, but she is in a soft section where I'd take her over both BHM and Sakkari, I think. I'm betting on a 2017 Featherweight Flashback, Mertens vs Wozniakic, for a spot in the quarters.
At least 14 other people were as wrong as I was. First bandwagon crash of the tournament.

She sailed to a big lead then she got the Feeva. The 20-year-old played gutsy tennis. Caro wasn't sharp at the end. She had 15-40 to get back on serve in the third and missed two bread-and-butter backhands down the line. Stubbs was stunned.
aidsasis Philippines

Post by aidsasis »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 am Wozniacki - you'll sail through
They sailed out instead. One of my faves is gone :(