Junior Boys' Doubles • Final
A. Michelsen/A. Vallejo vs B. Kuzuhara 2/C. Wong 2

Court 5

Day session - From 7:00pm EST

Junior Boys' Singles • Semifinals
J. Mensik 4 vs K. Feldbausch 11

Junior Girls' Singles • Semifinals
P. Marcinko 1 vs L. Hovde 13

by Liamvalid There’s no way I want to miss Berrettini vs Nadal 3am start here. Looks like I will be fit for nothing at work tomorrow

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 pm There’s no way I want to miss Berrettini vs Nadal 3am start here. Looks like I will be fit for nothing at work tomorrow
Go to bed early? I tried that last night and hoped to get up at 3:30 for the women's semis. Didn't work. And I was glad when I saw the scorelines. I half-watched Swiatek-Collins when I got up.

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:31 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 pm There’s no way I want to miss Berrettini vs Nadal 3am start here. Looks like I will be fit for nothing at work tomorrow
Go to bed early? I tried that last night and hoped to get up at 3:30 for the women's semis. Didn't work. And I was glad when I saw the scorelines. I half-watched Swiatek-Collins when I got up.
It's the Apprentice UK tonight on the BBC-don't want to mis that either! I expect the first set to go to a tie break anyway so might set the alarm for 4am, that gives me a good 6 hour sleep and I should still catch some of the first set

by ponchi101 I say Nadal tames Berrettini: Matteo's weakest link is his BH, and that drops right onto Nadal's forehand.
And I say Tsisipas has a very good chance. At worst, I say that is a 50/50 match.

by Liamvalid Yep, I don’t see Nadal dropping more than a set. Berrettini would have to serve like he did against Carreno Busta to stand a chance

by meganfernandez McEnroe: "Rafael Nadal is the classiest, perhaps most humble superstar champion in the history of any sport."

Predicts Rafa handily in 3 or 4 sets, if he plays up to his level.

by ponchi101 I now Mac likes to talk a lot, and I do not deny that Rafa is very classy. But you don't even have to leave our sport to find plenty of good examples: Edberg comes to mind, Henman. I will always say that Sampras was very classy and low key. On the women's, we have a lot of classy champions: Evert easily comes to mind.
Rafa in 4 sounds reasonable.

by meganfernandez Is it me or is Rafa's forehand not quite as scary as it used to be? Still potent but not the absolute lethal weapon?

by ponchi101 I don't think he is using ALL of it. He is going for steady and deep, as opposed to "finish the point". He does not need the flat one against Berrettini, because if he just hits 10 FH to Berrettini's BH, he will wear him down.
Plus, great practice for Sunday.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:14 am I now Mac likes to talk a lot, and I do not deny that Rafa is very classy. But you don't even have to leave our sport to find plenty of good examples: Edberg comes to mind, Henman. I will always say that Sampras was very classy and low key. On the women's, we have a lot of classy champions: Evert easily comes to mind.
Understatement. ESPN had to have been paying him by the word in that Sinner vs. Tsitsipas match. He's comparatively reasonable tonight.

Also, don't take every word he says as anything other than talking just to talk. You can definitely find him calling a Federer match where he could call him the classiest, see Rod Laver in the crowd during that exact match, call him the classiest, and the next day call Nadal's match and call him the classiest.

And honestly, they are all playing for second. If you listen to him enough, the classiest to him is Arthur Ashe, a worthy choice of course. But I'm just saying, he talks a lot, tune him out as best as you can if it's too much for you. And mute him if you can't take it anymore.

by ponchi101 Remember how we were talking in another topic about how good Barty's slice BH is? Berrettini's is the opposite. No bite, no pace, no depth. It floats like a butterfly up there.
Rafa really simply has only one game plan to follow. And the only one he needs.

by ponchi101 He is jerking him around like a trout.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:43 am McEnroe: "Rafael Nadal is the classiest, perhaps most humble superstar champion in the history of any sport."
How noble of John to exclude himself from holding the label of 'classiest, most humble superstar champion'...

by Deuce Maybe these boring, one-sided Semi-Final matches so far is Craig Tiley's way of punishing all those who've criticized him for the way he handled the Djokovic situation... :)

by meganfernandez You know who feels even worse than Berrettini right now? Shapo.

by dmforever I won't be able to see the match here on the US West Coast and I have to work all morning tomorrow. :( I so so so so so want Matteo to win but I highly doubt he can come out on top.

Kevin

by dmforever
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:27 am You know who feels even worse than Berrettini right now? Shapo.
And you know who feels worse than Shapo? Novax. :)

Kevin

by jazzyg I love how seriously Berrettini takes himself.

Totally outplayed for two sets and in a bad matchup, he hung in there and took full advantage of Nadal's slip in form. Don't like his chances to win the match, but he did the exact same thing against Djokovic at Roland Garros last year, including the same set scores for the first two sets, and came darn close to taking it to five sets.

by ponchi101 Rafa does not look fresh. I am not sure he has more energy than Matteo right now.

by ashkor87 Medvedev should beat Tsipsi quite comfortably, I feel..that topspin isn't very effective on this surface, especially against a giant like Medvedev..he will enjoy the nice chest-high bounce...

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 am Rafa does not look fresh. I am not sure he has more energy than Matteo right now.
His energy seems to be hitting a wall about the same time as it did last time. Wonder if he's not back to 100% from his bout with covid. Matteo is far fresher and holding very easily.

by Deuce I'll take Nadal in any match in any Major vs. any active player with the exception of Djokovic. Versus Djokovic, it's a toss up.

I think Medvedev will beat Tsitsipas because he's the most intelligent player on the tour at figuring out what he must do to win and adjusting his game to do what's necessary - while Tsitsipas is still quite dependent on others to figure the match out for him.

by Suliso Nadal found that last bit of energy to finish this in four. It must be a bit concerning for him in case the final goes very long.

by ponchi101 Really don't know how he pulled that one out in four.

by mick1303
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:32 am I'll take Nadal in any match in any Major vs. any active player with the exception of Djokovic. Versus Djokovic, it's a toss up.

I think Medvedev will beat Tsitsipas because he's the most intelligent player on the tour at figuring out what he must do to win and adjusting his game to do what's necessary - while Tsitsipas is still quite dependent on others to figure the match out for him.
I consider Djokovic a heavy favorite against Nadal outside clay. On clay it is close. Nadal certainly not a heavy favorite anymore.

by jazzyg
Deuce wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:32 am I'll take Nadal in any match in any Major vs. any active player with the exception of Djokovic. Versus Djokovic, it's a toss up.

That's a silly statement. Nadal has not won a set against Djokovic on any hard court in more than eight years, but you say it would be a toss-up. OK.

I do not think Nadal will win the final unless the winner of the second semifinal is drained by a long match, which is certainly possible. Neither Medvedev nor Tsitsipas has gone more than eight years without winning a set against Nadal on this surface.

You do realize Nadal has lost the Australian Open final from a break up in the fifth set twice, right? He's incredibly tough mentally, but not impervious to pressure.

by Deuce Will. Desire. Perseverance. Drive. Determination. Persistence. Tenacity.
Call it what you want - but Nadal has more of it than any other player. And that's a huge advantage to have.
Of course, he possesses some decent physical ability, as well... ;)
But it's his incredible level of determination that gets him to and across the finish line.

He may just be the greatest competitor that tennis has ever seen.
Connors had a phoniness about him - like secretly, he was doing it to be liked by the crowd. But Nadal does it simply because it is inherent within him. And, as competitive as he is, he's genuinely humble about it - which makes him even more worthy of admiration.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:41 am Really don't know how he pulled that one out in four.
Me neither. Was trying to figure out if I should stay awake and watch the 5th set or go to sleep and hopefully wake up early enough to catch the end of Medvedev vs. Tsitsipas if it goes long. Didn't see a way this was ending in 4 with the way Matteo was serving.

by Deuce I don't understand how any tennis fan who has watched Nadal play for years could possibly be surprised by anything that he does.
Really.
I can say something similar about anyone who is surprised when Djokovic pulls a match out.

Love them or hate them, these two guys possess enormous resolve and will. To me, Nadal has more of it, while I view Djokovic as being more like Connors - his will to win is more rooted in a desperate desire for approval from others. But still - it propels him forward and over seemingly every obstacle he encounters on the court.
How many times must these two players show what they are capable of for people to cease being surprised???

by Suliso They have had some surprising defeats as well. Today could have been one of those days, but wasn't.

by dmforever OH crap!!! I thought it was a night match. I could have actually watched the match. But actually, I'm glad I didn't see it. Dang, I need to be more on top of things. :(

Kevin

by ashkor87 Med has about an even chance of beating Nadal, I would say...assuming he gets there, of course...I always thought the AO is well- suited to Nadal - medium paced, hot ..but he is never in top gear this early in the year..seems to have woken up early this year..I would like to see the AO move to October or November..it is simply too hot in Australia at this time ... Unbearable conditions for players, not fun to see good players wilt in the heat like my unwatered coleus..

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 am They have had some surprising defeats as well. Today could have been one of those days, but wasn't.
"Could have been" is entirely meaningless.
To my eye, there was no point where I thought Berrettini would win this match. No point even where I thought that Berrettini MIGHT win this match. Because of Nadal's history of determination, especially at Majors, along with his physical talent.
It was the same in his last match vs. Shapovalov - people were saying "Oh, it looks like Nadal is going to lose this match." But I never thought that - again, because of his history of determination, especially at Majors, along with his physical talent.

My point is that both of them (Nadal and Djokovic) have proven countless times that it's foolish to ever count them out.
And so I literally do not understand how tennis fans who have watched them both play for years can ever be surprised with what they accomplish. It's like people are assessing them the same way that they would assess a normal player in those situations.
For example, in the Shapovalov match a couple of nights ago, if Denis were playing Coric, or Dimitrov, or Berrettini, or even Tsitsipas, or almost any other player, I could completely understand people saying at various points in the match that it definitely looks like Denis will win this one - and be surprised if the other player came back to win. Because those players do not have a long track record of willing themselves through to victory. But Nadal and Djokovic certainly DO have that history. And every tennis fan has seen it countless times.
So how can people possibly be surprised when Nadal or Djokovic overcome every obstacle and win? I am never surprised when they pull these matches out. The only times I'm surprised is when they DON'T pull these matches out - because that is far more rare.

And so, again, I ask: How many times must these two players show what they are capable of for people to cease being surprised?

Medvedev is showing definite signs that he is capable of the same degree of overcoming obstacles and winning matches that it 'looks like' he'll lose (to the untrained eye). The difference I see with Medvedev is that he doesn't win these matches via a profound degree of determination so much as by his pure intelligence in being able to figure out what he needs to do to win, and adjusting his game accordingly.

by ashkor87 High quality match thus far..Medvedev-Tsip

by Liamvalid Medvedev going crazy at the umpire for not giving Tsitsipas a coaching code violation

by Deuce Nothing unusual or surprising thus far, after 3 pretty close sets (2-1 Medvedev).
Could go 4, could go 5...

by ashkor87 Medvedev can possibly beat Nadal, Tsitsipas cannot..so am happy..not that I don't like Nadal, I just want the big 3 to all finish even, on 20..there is some poetic justice to that...although Nadal winning would certainly teach Djoko a lesson!

by Deuce The two finalists I figured would be there - even when they were down in matches and most people were quite sure they'd lose.
It will be a very intriguing matchup in the final - the most match-intelligent player vs. the greatest and most determined competitor.

by ashkor87 The other one tomorrow will be pretty one-sided, I think..Collins is not in Barty's class as a player...

by Deuce No... Barty is the better, more balanced player for sure - and she'll have a greater longevity at the top level (if she keeps playing - remember, she 'went away' once already) than Collins will.
But if Collins can maintain her composure and be relatively consistent in her play, she could put pressure on Barty that Barty has rarely felt.

The home crowd may work for or against Barty. They'll be cheering for her, of course - but whether Barty processes that as support (positive), or as pressure (negative) is to be determined during the match. This is her first Final in her home Aussie Open - so she may feel pressure.

by mick1303 I'm wondering if Novak will give Meddy a call with the words of encouragement ))

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:I don't understand how any tennis fan who has watched Nadal play for years could possibly be surprised by anything that he does.
Really.
I can say something similar about anyone who is surprised when Djokovic pulls a match out.

Love them or hate them, these two guys possess enormous resolve and will. To me, Nadal has more of it, while I view Djokovic as being more like Connors - his will to win is more rooted in a desperate desire for approval from others. But still - it propels him forward and over seemingly every obstacle he encounters on the court.
How many times must these two players show what they are capable of for people to cease being surprised???
I am never surprised by Nadal. Frankly over the years I have been surprised when the tennis world is so surprised when Nadal comes back from an injury and does well again. Of course he does. He’s one of the best champions ever and the best competitor ever. If he’s healthy, he’s the favorite (except vs Novak on hard).

I called Nadal to win the tournament… but honestly I think Medvedev is the favorite but Nadal’s will and determination might carry him through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ti-amie This is going to take two posts because of the limit on url's we have.

by ti-amie

The Body Serve Tennis Podcast
@TheBodyServe

And THEN, Daniil goes into press and he's like, "GUYS, I've grown SO much over the last five years! I regret it so much. This really isn't me!" So, why did you do it, boo?

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:01 pm
Why can't these people stop coaching? Is it a compulsion? Is it hubris? Is it just too reflexive? Do they not know what counts as coaching? It's bizarre.

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 pm I'm wondering if Novak will give Meddy a call with the words of encouragement ))
They are buddies, so maybe... although Novak has already done Medvedev a huge favor.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:11 pm
Why can't these people stop coaching? Is it a compulsion? Is it hubris? Is it just too reflexive? Do they not know what counts as coaching? It's bizarre.
They truly believe that Jr. can't win without their advice. They need to introduce themselves into the match. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that some of these tennis parents simply live vicariously the tennis life they never had, via their more talented children.
Medvedev has become a serial abuser of the chair, and it seems to be a current theme with the new generation. Of course, not all. Plenty are very nice and well behaved: FAA, Berrettini, Rublev. But there are enough characters on the tour to make it concerning for the image of the game. If you have ONE villain, sure, it ads to the broth. If you have several (Medvedev, Tsisipas, Shapo) then it gets to be too much.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
They truly believe that Jr. can't win without their advice. They need to introduce themselves into the match. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that some of these tennis parents simply live vicariously the tennis life they never had, via their more talented children.
Medvedev has become a serial abuser of the chair, and it seems to be a current theme with the new generation. Of course, not all. Plenty are very nice and well behaved: FAA, Berrettini, Rublev. But there are enough characters on the tour to make it concerning for the image of the game. If you have ONE villain, sure, it ads to the broth. If you have several (Medvedev, Tsisipas, Shapo) then it gets to be too much.
Yeah, Medvedev's sustained, full-throated tirade and demands to “LOOK AT ME WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU!” were pretty ugly. It’s one thing to pop off in frustration. To demean is another. Roddick demeaned umpires and line judges and I hated it.

https://www.instagram.com/underarmserve ... =copy_link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101 They just showed the highlights of the Medvedev/Tsisipas match, and the Medvedev meltdown. That is the kind of thing that if tennis had a commissioner, it would earn you a huge fine and/or a suspension.
That was pretty low.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm They just showed the highlights of the Medvedev/Tsisipas match, and the Medvedev meltdown. That is the kind of thing that if tennis had a commissioner, it would earn you a huge fine and/or a suspension.
That was pretty low.
It was extreme. But I must say, I got a cheap laugh from this comment, especially because it's crafted in a second or third language. He's an artist.

by Liamvalid After Nadal ended his season early last year, and Nole won #20, I kind of made peace with the fact that I probably wouldn’t see Rafa on a court again, and to follow the progress of some of the other players I like, and to get used to Nole adding to his slam count. Now this is happening, I’m all a nervous wreck again about whether Nadal is finally going to get his second Aussie, and I’m about 90% sure Medvedev will win, and I’m dreading watching it already. I miss that peace of mind that I had last year!!!

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:28 pm After Nadal ended his season early last year, and Nole won #20, I kind of made peace with the fact that I probably wouldn’t see Rafa on a court again, and to follow the progress of some of the other players I like, and to get used to Nole adding to his slam count. Now this is happening, I’m all a nervous wreck again about whether Nadal is finally going to get his second Aussie, and I’m about 90% sure Medvedev will win, and I’m dreading watching it already. I miss that peace of mind that I had last year!!!
well at least you don't have expectations. :) Medvedev is the slight favorite but it should be very competitive and Rafa can totally win this.

by JazzNU I don't think Daniil's an artist, but he is seeming more and more like a malcontent. Should this be amusing rather than insulting because he didn't use the word he clearly wanted to? No mistaking his meaning, he's insulting the chair and it's bush league behavior yet again from a top player. It's not a good look.

The only way I consider him impressive is somehow coming out of this match seeming like the bigger asshole than the guy who was begging loudly to let his daddy coach him during his matches, gets told no and continues to get coached in not so subtle ways by his daddy on the sidelines anyway because it's a crutch he apparently can't let go of. I guess there is an art to besting that pitiful behavior.

by meganfernandez

by meganfernandez
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm I don't think Daniil's an artist, but he is seeming more and more like a malcontent. Should this be amusing rather than insulting because he didn't use the word he clearly wanted to? No mistaking his meaning, he's insulting the chair and it's bush league behavior yet again from a top player. It's not a good look.

The only way I consider him impressive is somehow coming out of this match seeming like the bigger asshole than the guy who was begging loudly to let his daddy coach him during his matches, gets told no and continues to get coached in not so subtle ways by his daddy on the sidelines anyway because it's a crutch he apparently can't let go of. I guess there is an art to besting that pitiful behavior.
One person's asshole is another's artist. I'm digging it. He crosses the line sometimes, but when he's right up on it, I'm more entertained than offended. To each their own!

by mick1303 Medvedev didn't take the bait when during his presser the journo said "Tsitsipas called you immature". Just said that he has no issues with Tsitsipas. Kind of shows who is the immature of the two.

by mick1303
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm I don't think Daniil's an artist, but he is seeming more and more like a malcontent. Should this be amusing rather than insulting because he didn't use the word he clearly wanted to? No mistaking his meaning, he's insulting the chair and it's bush league behavior yet again from a top player. It's not a good look.

One person's asshole is another's artist. I'm digging it. He crosses the line sometimes, but when he's right up on it, I'm more entertained than offended. To each their own!
But unlike Shapo, with this outburst he made umpire actually do his job (which did not happen with Nadal time violations), which resulted in deserved warning for ST. Seems that even his outburst was more calculated.

by ti-amie I find nothing amusing about Medvedev's outburst. He call the chair a "pu**y" which is one step from calling him the "eff" word and this is cute? Amusing? No. Alexis Sr said it best.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:26 pm I find nothing amusing about Medvedev's outburst. He call the chair a "pu**y" which is one step from calling him the "eff" word and this is cute? Amusing? No. Alexis Sr said it best.

The outburst was ugly. I liked the "small cat" phrasing, though. I didn't think about it too hard - it just made me laugh out loud. Medvedev should totally get a fine for his rant and maybe the "small cat" quip. Wasn't he walking off the court when he said this, after the match? If not, he should have gotten a penalty at the time. The punishment is a separate issue than the entertainment value (which, in this case, I enjoyed, but understand that it hits other people differently).

by JazzNU It happened mid-match. He was walking off the court, but it was between sets, not after the match was over.

by dmforever It's over the top for sure. And while I'm not condoning the rant, I can understand Medvedev's frustration. Tsitsipas's dad's coaching is nonstop. It's ridiculous. It's almost like it's compulsive. And other than a warning, nothing is ever done. I'd love to know if the chair umpires feel like they actually have the freedom to call a second coaching violation in a match. It's obvious that it's happening. Where does the lack of enforcement come from? Is it internal or external or a combination of both? To be honest, the coaching bugs me way more than the rant. The rant would not have existed without the repeated coaching violations. Honestly, the ATP and WTA should just tell the players that starting in 2022, from now on, they are going to actually enforce this rule. And then they should do it. In a few weeks, no one will be doing it anymore. It's not rocket science.

Kevin

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 am It's over the top for sure. And while I'm not condoning the rant, I can understand Medvedev's frustration.

Kevin
Replace Medvedev with Kyrgios in this exact match and circumstances against Tsitsipas. Are you posting this?

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:59 am
dmforever wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 am It's over the top for sure. And while I'm not condoning the rant, I can understand Medvedev's frustration.

Kevin
Replace Medvedev with Kyrgios in this exact match and circumstances against Tsitsipas. Are you posting this?
Good question. It's hard for me to say because they come with different histories. But I think so. Again, Medvedev went way over the top, but the coaching is ridiculous. So if Nick called that out, or anyone else for that matter (yes, even Fabio, shudder shudder), I think I'd be OK with that. And I am kind of ambivalent about Nick. He can be so much fun, and he has a huge heart and his talent is off the charts. But he tanks matches, and what he said about Vekic to Wrarinka was hard for me to forget.

Kevin

by ponchi101 Isn't this like a: "He started!" 5 years old conversation? (by Medvedev). I gather that the whole point is that Tsisipas has to be called for the coaching, AND Medvedev has to be called for the insults to the chair. It is not a "this OR that" thing.
I gather the underlying issue is that the ATP is totally inconsistent in calling its players for different code violations. Sometimes an umpire will call the serve clock violation, then another won't. Then they will call coaching, then they won't.
I guess Medvedev's "a small cat" can be applied to the entire umpire staff of the ATP.

by ashkor87 I wonder whom the 'coaching' bothers and whom it benefits.. can Tsitsipas actually hear anything being shouted to him above the din? It probably distracts him more than his opponent...! he said he cant hear a thing, in his post-match interview.. I dont know, for sure, but I do wonder.. I know when my son played and I used to shout advice to him from the sidelines, it bothered him more than his opponent!

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:41 pm
ponchi101 wrote:

Yeah, Medvedev's sustained, full-throated tirade and demands to “LOOK AT ME WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU!” were pretty ugly. It’s one thing to pop off in frustration. To demean is another. Roddick demeaned umpires and line judges and I hated it.

https://www.instagram.com/underarmserve ... =copy_link
Roddick was an asshole. As disrespectful as they come.
Roddick wanted/wants to be viewed as being 'clever' and 'witty' - but I always viewed him as a complete phony. I can't understand anyone who had/has respect for him.

Courrier was very similar to Roddick (or, I suppose Roddick was very similar to Courrier, as Courrier was on the tour first). Both were terrible toward umpires.

I don't condone the way that Medvedev is with umpires - it's boorish, disrespectful, childish, etc. That said, it adds some spice to the sport. Having players show their true personality - whether it's as a mature, respectful person, or as an immature jerk - a is much better, in an overall sense, than having a bunch of automatons out there all behaving the same. Everyone should have the right to reveal who they truly are - and if they reveal themselves to be an asshole, they themselves are usually going to be the ones who suffer the most from it.

Also, the way that Medvedev (and a few others) are behaving toward umpires today is nothing compared to what Nastase, Connors, McEnroe, etc. did back in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. You can easily add Roddick and Courrier to that list.
We must, as well, remember that tennis is one of the only sports where fans (and media persons) can hear player and coach interactions with officials. I doubt very much that managers in baseball are inviting the umpires to dinner when they charge out onto the field to 'talk' with them.