by ti-amie Court PHILIPPE-CHATRIER

DAY SESSION - FIRST ROUND

Women’s Singles
POL I. Swiatek (1) vs UKR L. Tsurenko (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FRA D.Parry vs CZE B.Krejcikova (2)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
AUS J.Thompson vs ESP R.Nadal (5)
Men’s Singles

NIGHT SESSION - FIRST ROUND

Not before 20:45
SRB N.Djokovic (1) vs JPN Y.Nishioka

Court SUZANNE-LENGLEN

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
USA A. Anisimova (27) vs JPN N.Osaka
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SUI S.Wawrinka vs FRA C. Moutet (W)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
EST A.Kontaveit (5) vs AUS A.Tomljanovic
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
RSA L. Harris vs FRA R.Gasquet

Court SIMONNE-MATHIEU

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
FRA O.Dodin vs GER A. Petkovic
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GBR C.Norrie (10) vs FRA M.Guinard (W)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
CZE L. Noskova (Q) vs GBR E.Raducanu (12)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
FRA B.Paire vs --- I.Ivashka

Court 14

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
--- V.Azarenka (15) vs ROU A.Bogdan
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GBR H.Watson vs FRA E. Jacquemot (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
HUN A.Balazs vs CRO M.Cilic (20)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
Not before 17:00
FRA A. Rinderknech vs KAZ A.Bublik

Court 7

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
CAN B.Andreescu vs BEL Y.Bonaventure (Q)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GBR D.Evans (29) vs ARG F.Cerundolo
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
HUN M.Fucsovics vs FRA G.Blancaneaux (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA M. Keys (22) vs --- A. Kalinskaya

Court 6

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
ARG SF.Rodriguez Taverna (Q) vs USA T.Fritz (13)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
FRA L. Jeanjean (W) vs ESP N.Parrizas Diaz
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GER A.Kerber (21) vs POL M.Frech
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA S. Korda (27) vs AUS J.Millman

Court 4

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
ITA A.Giannessi (L) vs CRO B. Gojo (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SVK AK. Schmiedlova vs SVK K.Kucova
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SVK A. Molcan vs ARG F. Coria
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
--- E.Alexandrova (30) vs BEL G.Minnen

Court 5

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
BEL M.Zanevska vs CHN Q.Zheng
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SRB D.Lajovic vs ARG S.Baez
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SVK N. Gombos (Q) vs ARG P. Cachin (L)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
ROU I.Begu vs ITA J.Paolini

Court 8

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
HUN A. Bondar vs CZE P. Kvitova (32)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GEO N. Basilashvili (22) vs USA M. Cressy
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
CHN L.Zhu (Q) vs --- V.Kudermetova (29)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
CHI C.Garin vs USA T.Paul (30)

Court 9

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
GRE V. Grammatikopoulou (Q) vs AUS D. Saville (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA B.Nakashima vs POL K. Majchrzak
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SWE M.Ymer vs AUS J.Duckworth
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA K. Volynets (W) vs SUI V. Golubic

Court 12

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
ITA M.Trevisan vs GBR H.Dart
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA A. Riske vs UKR D. Yastremska
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA M. Mcdonald vs ITA F.Agamenone (L)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
ESP P.Martinez vs SUI H.Laaksonen

Court 13

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
SRB F. Krajinovic vs USA R. Opelka (17)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
MNE D. Kovinic vs --- L. Samsonova (25)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SRB M.Kecmanovic (28) vs ARG TM. Etcheverry
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

RUS NED A.Rus vs KAZ E.Rybakina (16)

by meganfernandez Up early for Anisimova-Osaka and it is not disappointing. Dang Anisimova is good. Fantastic return. I don’t know if she has the belief to beat Swiatek but I think she is the one to beat in the bottom half. Would like to see her play Leylah, although I think she would tee off on the returns.

She seems to be really hard on herself. She had two beak points at 5-5, 15-40. It got to deuce and then Anisimova missed an overhead right on top of the net - it was high and she had to leap straight up and kind of stab at it. Framed it into the net. She was sooo upset. Ended up winning the game with some great returns and serving out the set, but I was worried for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by JTContinental Ysaline Bonaventure is...dour, and also serving prison lunch lady realness in her severe black sheath dress with long sleeves

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:Ysaline Bonaventure is...dour, and also serving prison lunch lady realness in her severe black sheath dress with long sleeves
Haha! When I flipped over to the match a minute ago, I thought “oh look, it’s me!”

by Suliso That's a great win for Anisimova even on clay. Hope she goes far now.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:That's a great win for Anisimova even on clay. Hope she goes far now.
It was. She’s the one to beat in the bottom half IMO. Curious how she how she will do against a real clay-courter. Someone who won’t give her pace and will push her off the court. Also Osaka didn’t serve well today at all.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:00 am Up early for Anisimova-Osaka and it is not disappointing. Dang Anisimova is good. Fantastic return. I don’t know if she has the belief to beat Swiatek but I think she is the one to beat in the bottom half. Would like to see her play Leylah, although I think she would tee off on the returns.

But maybe she wouldn't. Anisimova has one of those embarrassing retirements of the year. I think it was IW, but she played Leylah there, crushed her in the first set, served for the match in the second, had 40-0 and lost the game, then the TB 7-1 and then went to the bathroom and came out, to hand over the match. No explanation other than an injury that was nowhere to be seen during the match.
Remember she made the semis here not too long ago. 2019, I think. She lost to Vondrousova. So she likes it here.

by ponchi101 Watching Krejcikova/Parry. Gorgeous 1 handed BH from Parry. One truly long motion, she uncoils with fantastic speed. You have to wonder how many posters of Amelie and Gasquet she has pinned on her walls. It would be perhaps a liability on grass or any fast court because the wind up is that long but, on this clay, it works. But the Ue's are piling up.

by ponchi101 And just looked up the Swiatek score. Another 2 & 0. 54 minutes. You know by now she her training sessions are more physically demanding than the actual matches.
I said it before. The moment she gets a lead, she just starts hitting better. Totally in the mix of great players that were amazing front runners.

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:58 am
Suliso wrote:That's a great win for Anisimova even on clay. Hope she goes far now.
It was. She’s the one to beat in the bottom half IMO. Curious how she how she will do against a real clay-courter. Someone who won’t give her pace and will push her off the court. Also Osaka didn’t serve well today at all.
Had a look at her draw again and it is a lousy one. Maria Sakkari in the 3rd round... Why were we mentioning Fernandez instead?

by ponchi101 Sakkari/Anisimova in the 3rd is bad for both. It sounds competitive and very 50/50.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:58 am
Had a look at her draw again and it is a lousy one. Maria Sakkari in the 3rd round... Why were we mentioning Fernandez instead?
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:03 pm Sakkari/Anisimova in the 3rd is bad for both. It sounds competitive and very 50/50.
Admittedly, I don't watch Sakkari very much, but I'd lean toward Anisimova in that match. I didn't even look at the draw before wishing for Anisimova/Fernandez, just thinking of the two people I think are playing the best in the bottom half. I might be unfairly overlooking Sakkari - she just doesn't register for me very much. Last match of hers I remember was the fantastic win over Andreescu at the US Open.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:49 am
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:00 am Up early for Anisimova-Osaka and it is not disappointing. Dang Anisimova is good. Fantastic return. I don’t know if she has the belief to beat Swiatek but I think she is the one to beat in the bottom half. Would like to see her play Leylah, although I think she would tee off on the returns.

But maybe she wouldn't. Anisimova has one of those embarrassing retirements of the year. I think it was IW, but she played Leylah there, crushed her in the first set, served for the match in the second, had 40-0 and lost the game, then the TB 7-1 and then went to the bathroom and came out, to hand over the match. No explanation other than an injury that was nowhere to be seen during the match.
Remember she made the semis here not too long ago. 2019, I think. She lost to Vondrousova. So she likes it here.
That's true, and part of the reason I'd like to see a rematch. Leylah is a better competitor and fitter mentally, but that match was on hard court and Anisimova should have won it. Would like to see them tussle on clay.

Anisimova lost to Barty in the French Open semis, after leading a set and a break.

by Liamvalid
ti-amie wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:58 pm Court PHILIPPE-CHATRIER

Women’s Singles
POL I. Swiatek (1) vs UKR L. Tsurenko (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING
FRA D.Parry vs CZE B.Krejcikova (2)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
AUS J.Thompson vs ESP R.Nadal (5)
Men’s Singles

NIGHT SESSION - FIRST ROUND

Not before 20:45
SRB N.Djokovic (1) vs JPN Y.Nishioka

Court SUZANNE-LENGLEN

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
USA A. Anisimova (27) vs JPN N.Osaka
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SUI S.Wawrinka vs FRA C. Moutet (W)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
EST A.Kontaveit (5) vs AUS A.Tomljanovic
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
RSA L. Harris vs FRA R.Gasquet

Court SIMONNE-MATHIEU

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
FRA O.Dodin vs GER A. Petkovic
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GBR C.Norrie (10) vs FRA M.Guinard (W)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
CZE L. Noskova (Q) vs GBR E.Raducanu (12)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
FRA B.Paire vs --- I.Ivashka

Court 14

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
--- V.Azarenka (15) vs ROU A.Bogdan
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GBR H.Watson vs FRA E. Jacquemot (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
HUN A.Balazs vs CRO M.Cilic (20)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
Not before 17:00
FRA A. Rinderknech vs KAZ A.Bublik

Court 7

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
CAN B.Andreescu vs BEL Y.Bonaventure (Q)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GBR D.Evans (29) vs ARG F.Cerundolo
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
HUN M.Fucsovics vs FRA G.Blancaneaux (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA M. Keys (22) vs --- A. Kalinskaya

Court 6

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
ARG SF.Rodriguez Taverna (Q) vs USA T.Fritz (13)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
FRA L. Jeanjean (W) vs ESP N.Parrizas Diaz
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GER A.Kerber (21) vs POL M.Frech
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA S. Korda (27) vs AUS J.Millman

Court 4

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
ITA A.Giannessi (L) vs CRO B. Gojo (Q)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SVK AK. Schmiedlova vs SVK K.Kucova
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SVK A. Molcan vs ARG F. Coria
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
--- E.Alexandrova (30) vs BEL G.Minnen

Court 5

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
BEL M.Zanevska vs CHN Q.Zheng
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SRB D.Lajovic vs ARG S.Baez
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SVK N. Gombos (Q) vs ARG P. Cachin (L)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
ROU I.Begu vs ITA J.Paolini

Court 8

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
HUN A. Bondar vs CZE P. Kvitova (32)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
GEO N. Basilashvili (22) vs USA M. Cressy
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
CHN L.Zhu (Q) vs --- V.Kudermetova (29)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
CHI C.Garin vs USA T.Paul (30)

Court 9

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
GRE V. Grammatikopoulou (Q) vs AUS D. Saville (W)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA B.Nakashima vs POL K. Majchrzak
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SWE M.Ymer vs AUS J.Duckworth
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA K. Volynets (W) vs SUI V. Golubic

Court 12

Women’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
ITA M.Trevisan vs GBR H.Dart
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA A. Riske vs UKR D. Yastremska
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
USA M. Mcdonald vs ITA F.Agamenone (L)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
ESP P.Martinez vs SUI H.Laaksonen

Court 13

Men’s Singles
FIRST ROUND
SRB F. Krajinovic vs USA R. Opelka (17)
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
MNE D. Kovinic vs --- L. Samsonova (25)
Men’s Singles
UPCOMING

FIRST ROUND
SRB M.Kecmanovic (28) vs ARG TM. Etcheverry
Women’s Singles
UPCOMING

RUS NED A.Rus vs KAZ E.Rybakina (16)
Eugh EasyJet have cancelled my flight to Paris, so I’m having to travel down to London to see if I can flight from there that will get me to Paris sometime tonight. If I have to travel tomorrow I won’t be able to make it to RG for start of play, although looking at todays line up, most of the R1 matches I want to see are being played today anyway

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:31 pm Eugh EasyJet have cancelled my flight to Paris, so I’m having to travel down to London to see if I can flight from there that will get me to Paris sometime tonight. If I have to travel tomorrow I won’t be able to make it to RG for start of play, although looking at todays line up, most of the R1 matches I want to see are being played today anyway
Oh no! Allez, hurry! I hope you make it! Can you get the Eurostar tonight?

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:52 am Watching Krejcikova/Parry. Gorgeous 1 handed BH from Parry. One truly long motion, she uncoils with fantastic speed. You have to wonder how many posters of Amelie and Gasquet she has pinned on her walls. It would be perhaps a liability on grass or any fast court because the wind up is that long but, on this clay, it works. But the Ue's are piling up.
I imagine the number of errors has gone down significantly.

by ponchi101 Vanished. Went from one side to the other.

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:34 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:31 pm Eugh EasyJet have cancelled my flight to Paris, so I’m having to travel down to London to see if I can flight from there that will get me to Paris sometime tonight. If I have to travel tomorrow I won’t be able to make it to RG for start of play, although looking at todays line up, most of the R1 matches I want to see are being played today anyway
There’s a flight around 7pm from Gatwick with Vueling Air (never heard of them!!) I’m due in to Gatwick on the train at 5pm so I should be ok to fly, then it’s only an hour or so to Orly from there. If anything it might get me to Paris a little quicker than my original flight from Manchester so I can’t complain. Plus looking at this lives scores it looks like it’s been raining so at least I will miss that too!

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:04 pm
There’s a flight around 7pm from Gatwick with Vueling Air (never heard of them!!) I’m due in to Gatwick on the train at 5pm so I should be ok to fly, then it’s only an hour or so to Orly from there. If anything it might get me to Paris a little quicker than my original flight from Manchester so I can’t complain. Plus looking at this lives scores it looks like it’s been raining so at least I will miss that too!
Good outlook! Let us know! How many days will you be there?

by Suliso Down goes our defending champion! In her defense I don't think she was ready to play and wouldn't have if this were not her title defense.

She leaves the top 10 and it would not surprise me if forever.

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:32 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:04 pm

Good outlook! Let us know! How many days will you be there?
Coming back Friday so going to be a whirlwind tour of RG EuroDisney and the the Paris attractions. Will try and get some photos of the players whilst I’m there

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm Down goes our defending champion! In her defense I don't think she was ready to play and wouldn't have if this were not her title defense.

Forever is a very long time, but indeed, the way things are going in the WTA, that is a possibility. She really was not ready; the UE's piled too much in the last two sets.
Nice poise from Parry after winning. This is a big win for her and yet, very calm after the victory. It would be good for France to get a new face. Of course, she now goes against Osorio, who is very different and will get back a lot of balls, but that is a winnable match.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm Down goes our defending champion! In her defense I don't think she was ready to play and wouldn't have if this were not her title defense.

Yeah, not surprised by this. Bottom half is a Grand Canyon now. So much opportunity to be a French Open runner-up. Could be a surprise finalist (Maria Camila Ocosio Serrano) or maybe Kerber. I know, I'm looking right past Sakkari.

Anisimova, Gauff, Fernandez, Bencic, Trevian, Stephens, Bouzkova...

by Suliso
meganfernandez wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:48 pm
Yeah, not surprised by this. Bottom half is a Grand Canyon now. So much opportunity to be a French Open runner-up. Could be a surprise finalist (Maria Camila Ocosio Serrano) or maybe Kerber. I know, I'm looking right past Sakkari.
Why are you? She's not THAT incapable.

by ponchi101 I know, I know, I know. This is silly. I know, I know, I know. I am being stupid. But, Rafa, you have a chronic foot injury. DON'T hit your shoes with your racquet to get the clay off. At least not on that foot.
Any little thing might...

by Suliso Mildly surprised of Samsonova losing this early.

by ashkor87 Sorry, repeated post

by ashkor87 Swiatek is so quick, so relentless..reminds me of Achilles going after Hector at the walls of Troy

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:59 pm Mildly surprised of Samsonova losing this early.
I thought of picking her today for the SP and thought: "nah, too early".
Dodged that one. I thought she would go farther indeed.

by ashkor87

Anisimova or Gauff, I think...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:
Why are you? She's not THAT incapable.
She has just never been on my radar very much. She has only 1 title. I don’t see her as a big-match player, and her size probably influences me a bit. Lacks a weapon. But she has reached a couple Slam semis, so she probably deserves a little more credit than I am giving her.

by Liamvalid Just watching some of the Raducanu match on my phone. T Noskova is a sensation! Can see why she won the junior tournament here, that backhand is dynamite

by ponchi101 Why this game is insane.
Kecmanovic and Etcheverry played a 20 minutes long game, Etcheverry serving. Kecmanovic had at least 6 break points. Did not convert. Then Etcheverry broke him at 30, in like 2 minutes. Only one BP. Now serving for the set.

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:07 pm Just watching some of the Raducanu match on my phone. T Noskova is a sensation! Can see why she won the junior tournament here, that backhand is dynamite
yeah, that backhand is world-class and Raducanu is hitting to it way too much. I think Noskova would beat a lot of seeds today. Honestly, Raducanu is doing well to stay as close as she is. Noskova looks ready to win matches now. I've seen enough from Raducanu today to think this won't be a bad loss if she does lose (and she's still very much in it). I like how she competes.

At 3-3 in the second, Noskova broke at love with 4 winners, I think. Raducanu isn't keeping the ball deep enough to bother her, and Noskova is jumping on balls like she's Swiatek... but she's as smooth as butter. Clearly playing without any pressure. Fully expect her to close this match. (Oops, Raducanu broke back.)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:14 pm Why this game is insane.
Kecmanovic and Etcheverry played a 20 minutes long game, Etcheverry serving. Kecmanovic had at least 6 break points. Did not convert. Then Etcheverry broke him at 30, in like 2 minutes. Only one BP. Now serving for the set.
Momentum... it will probably swing back. Kecmanovic has the experience to know this and stay the course, I hope. Needs to tell himself that at least he's getting a ton of break chances. I think momentum swings are one of the hardest things to manage, at least at my level.

by meganfernandez Incredible comeback from Raducanu in the 2nd set after losing serve at love at 3-3. No matter who wins this match, that set was worth showing up at RG. (I thought she might rest her back for the grass.) Insane FH down the the line on Noskova's game point at 5-6 (after Raducanu had 3 set points, not consecutively). Then a drop shot to seal the set. She is finding more depth on her shots and going to the BH at smarter times, like that FH down the line.

Great match from both of these teenagers. Raducanu haters can take a seat until the next tournament.

by ponchi101 Anybody hates Raducanu? :?
I am, of course, forced to watch two matches in courts 97 and 143, between Gombos/Cachin and Kecmanovic/Etcheverry, because ESPN will NOT show a women's match unless it is the semis and a latin american player is playing.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:01 pm Anybody hates Raducanu? :?
I am, of course, forced to watch two matches in courts 97 and 143, between Gombos/Cachin and Kecmanovic/Etcheverry, because ESPN will NOT show a women's match unless it is the semis and a latin american player is playing.
Haters. Raducanu haters.

by ponchi101 That was my question. Does anybody actually hate Raducanu? I mean, I gather she has her fans, but she is not a player that I would guess would lead to those emotions.
I gather since I am not in social media, I would not know.

by jazzyg The bottom half is indeed wide open, and I never say never, but Coco Gauff double faulted five times in one game yesterday. Combine her second-serve yips with her forehand inconsistency, and it's hard to imagine how she could get to the final.

Suliso likes Kenin's game and doesn't like Krejcikova's. I like Krejcikova's game and don't like Kenin's. Maybe neither of them will ever be in the top 10 again, but the odds are both will be back there. Krejcikova did a whole lot of winning AFTER Roland Garros last year.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm The bottom half is indeed wide open, and I never say never, but Coco Gauff double faulted five times in one game yesterday. Combine her second-serve yips with her forehand inconsistency, and it's hard to imagine how she could get to the final.

Suliso likes Kenin's game and doesn't like Krejcikova's. I like Krejcikova's game and don't like Kenin's. Maybe neither of them will ever be in the top 10 again, but the odds are both will be back there. Krejcikova did a whole lot of winning AFTER Roland Garros last year.
Agree. I wouldn't bury either of them. People tend to do that very quickly. Most careers have some ups and downs. I think both of them have a better-than-50% chance of returning to the top 10 at some point. Whether they stay there, who knows.

Also agree that Coco is not on the short list to make the final, even though I named her (and about everyone else) in an earlier post about those who can take advantage of the opportunity in the bottom half.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:11 pm That was my question. Does anybody actually hate Raducanu? I mean, I gather she has her fans, but she is not a player that I would guess would lead to those emotions.
There are lots of heavy criticizers ready to pounce and call her overrated every time she loses a match. Maybe not a lot here, I don't know, but some.

by meganfernandez Raducanu ran away with it. What a win. On the brink of losing to someone younger, a new teen queen, she digs in and guts it out. Great playing from both. Looking forward to more matches between these two.

Clicked over to Kerber, down a break in the third... she looks gassed. Barely moving, moonballing....

by Liamvalid
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:11 pm That was my question. Does anybody actually hate Raducanu? I mean, I gather she has her fans, but she is not a player that I would guess would lead to those emotions.
I have to avoid the BBC forums when Emma is playing, there are more haters than fans on there most times. Obviously in the general population she is liked by most people who know who she is, but her lack of success after the US Open made it open season for the usual online trolls

by JTContinental Catching up on the days action. Krejcikova performed just about how I thought she would.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm Catching up on the days action. Krejcikova performed just about how I thought she would.
Flip over to Kerber-Fetch if you can.... such a battle. I'm exhausted just watching it. Kerber has fought off at least one match point, despite being absolutely exhausted. Fetch is doing a great job competing, but Angie won't say die.

Edit: unbelievable match. Kerber refused to lose. Crowd was so into it.

by ti-amie

She's done nothing recently to make you do otherwise.

by ti-amie Noskova ran out of gas mid second set after coming through qualies. She is 16 and should've lost to a recent Slam winner.

As for Raducanu, I am not a fan.

Krejcikova came for the check. JMHO. She was in no condition to play.

by ponchi101 A lot of matches were suspended due to the rain. So, a lot of matches have been suspended. Only Nishioka and Novak remain.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:41 pm Noskova ran out of gas mid second set after coming through qualies. She is 16 and should've lost to a recent Slam winner.

She's 17 (and a half, as Rafa would say). :) My take: Yeah, she should have lost 3 and 3, but instead she was up a set and a break, serving at 4-3 and red-lining, very composed, with about 80% chance of winning the match (unscientific). Raducanu responded to getting broken at love by immediately putting pressure on Noskova. She didn't wait for Noskova to get tired—she made it happen, and then kept her level up. To my eyes it was a quality win, not diminished by Noskova's relative inexperience.

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:41 pm Noskova ran out of gas mid second set after coming through qualies. She is 16 and should've lost to a recent Slam winner.

Sure, I am not a fan either. But I don't hate her. It is a player that I find that she lost or won, it is just news to me. I don't mind either way.
Krecjikova maybe thought she could get some court time. She has been away for quite a while and clay is her best surface.
Yes, plus the check and trying to lose as few points as possible.

by ashkor87 Can't believe Golubic is losing...didn't get to see it though

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:Can't believe Golubic is losing...didn't get to see it though
She could still win. Don’t fret. :)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:53 pm

Sure, I am not a fan either. But I don't hate her. It is a player that I find that she lost or won, it is just news to me. I don't mind either way.
Krecjikova maybe thought she could get some court time. She has been away for quite a while and clay is her best surface.
Give her some credit..maybe she feels a responsibility ..to defend her title

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:03 am

You're right Ashkor. I shouldn't have assumed what her motives were. It's just weird that until the official draw came out many of her fans assumed she wasn't going to play because of her injury.

by Deuce
Anisimova and Leylah could meet in the round of 16.

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:43 am
ashkor87 wrote:Can't believe Golubic is losing...didn't get to see it though
She could still win. Don’t fret. :)
Or not. Sorry! Was this Suicide Pool distress or are you a Golubic fan?

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:43 am
Anisimova and Leylah could meet in the round of 16.
Popcorn is ready. I think this match will happen. Leylah will beat Bencic in R3 (and yes, Bencic will beat Andreescu, another match I am looking forward to).

by Suliso I have my doubts about it. Bencic is weak on clay...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:03 am

Yeah, it's not often you get to defend a Slam title. I appreciate players who at least try, if they aren't clearly unable or uninterested in mounting the slightest competition. I also don't begrudge anyone who shows up for the Slam R1 paycheck, especially women, given that the WTA prize money is embarrassing.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:40 pm I have my doubts about it. Bencic is weak on clay...
Understandable. Would you say she's WEAK on clay, or just weaker than she is on hard court? She won the French juniors, plus Charleston this year, which is halfway between red clay and hard court. Per Marc Lucero, the Roland Garros courts are playing somewhat like a hard court. In his latest podcast, he emphasized how different the RG courts are from other tour stop on clay, because of the incredibly high quality. All of which is to explain why I'm taking Bencic over Andreescu.

by Suliso I guess I'm mostly going by her never having reached past the 3rd round here. That clay title in Charleston is her only career clay final at WTA level. Of course Andreescu is no clay dinamo either.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:44 pm ...

Understandable. Would you say she's WEAK on clay, or just weaker than she is on hard court? She won the French juniors, plus Charleston this year, which is halfway between red clay and hard court. Per Marc Lucero, the Roland Garros courts are playing somewhat like a hard court. In his latest podcast, he emphasized how different the RG courts are from other tour stop on clay, because of the incredibly high quality. All of which is to explain why I'm taking Bencic over Andreescu.
I would like somebody to explain that to me. Other than the top pros being able to slide on hard courts now, how can a clay court play like a hard?
IATA, I know, these people know more about this sport than I do, but I just don't get it.
Next thing: "This NASCAR race feels like a F1 track."

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:58 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:44 pm ...

I would like somebody to explain that to me. Other than the top pros being able to slide on hard courts now, how can a clay court play like a hard?
IATA, I know, these people know more about this sport than I do, but I just don't get it.
Next thing: "This NASCAR race feels like a F1 track."
The bounce and ball speed, I guess. He said the kick serve is grabbing really well (but that could have been about the balls, which he also discussed, because he said they play very differently than the ATP balls). I don't know if that's congruent with clay playing like a hard court - to me, that sounds classically clay. Doesn't a kick serve bounce even higher on clay? I'll try to go back to the podcast and see if he said more. It's a short podcast.