Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
mick1303 Ukraine

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by mick1303 »

What I've noticed that in all tennis couples it is clear who is the more accomplished on his/her respective tour. I thought that it was not the clear case in Monfils-Svitolina couple. But then I looked up and Gael does not quite measure up. Elina has 4 tier I titles plus YEC. Higher career win-loss percentage and more titles.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:43 am What I've noticed that in all tennis couples it is clear who is the more accomplished on his/her respective tour. I thought that it was not the clear case in Monfils-Svitolina couple. But then I looked up and Gael does not quite measure up. Elina has 4 tier I titles plus YEC. Higher career win-loss percentage and more titles.
Connors-Evert. Evert more accomplished.
Graf-Agassi. Steffi more accomplished.
Deminaur-Boulter. Alex more.
Berrettini- Tomljanovic. Matteo.
Sinner-Kalinskaya. Sinner so far.
Hingis-Stepanek. Hingis more accomplished.

And you point out Gael/Elina.

Mixed results.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:57 pm
As a Roddick fan (don’t judge me too harshly) this is the number one reason I always “hated” Roger… in a can’t beat our rival kind of way. :)

I remember the fifth set was so eerie as all of Rogers holds were so easy and Roddick had to fight for each hold so the whole set seemed like it was just a matter of time.
:steven:
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:43 am
As a Roddick fan (don’t judge me too harshly) this is the number one reason I always “hated” Roger… in a can’t beat our rival kind of way. :)

I remember the fifth set was so eerie as all of Rogers holds were so easy and Roddick had to fight for each hold so the whole set seemed like it was just a matter of time.
I didn't "hate" Roger, but I do wish Andy had won that one. If I had the power to change any one match...that one would be at the top of my list for consideration. But generational timing is everything. Without Roger and Rafa, Andy Roddick and Andy Murray would both likely have more Slam titles to their names, along with other players.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I was looking at the doubles ladies draw of the recent Roland Garros and got a question. How is the score that is ended with "Ab" is different from retirement, if this is not the final round and there is a winner, that proceeds in a draw? What actually happened there (in Kenin/Mattek vs Frech/Tomova)?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

That was (one of) the days with rain delays. Maybe ab = aborted? As in the team losing decided not to continue after the rain delay? Maybe :)
:steven:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

That is a good question to trigger a new discussion topic. If you had the power to change the result of any one match, which one would that be? And why?
I would say the Medvedev - Nadal Australian open finals..because the crowd was so patently unfair, it may have changed the course of Medvedev's career..
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

mick1303 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:04 am I was looking at the doubles ladies draw of the recent Roland Garros and got a question. How is the score that is ended with "Ab" is different from retirement, if this is not the final round and there is a winner, that proceeds in a draw? What actually happened there (in Kenin/Mattek vs Frech/Tomova)?
It's a retirement - I can't remember what word they use in French that would start with an a - but when you click on the match to see the details it shows retirement.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:14 pm That is a good question to trigger a new discussion topic. If you had the power to change the result of any one match, which one would that be? And why?
I would say the Medvedev - Nadal Australian open finals..because the crowd was so patently unfair, it may have changed the course of Medvedev's career..
The crowd was unfair? Medvedev called the Australian open crowd "STUPID" and he expected the crowd to be impartial? He behaved like a total jerk throughout the tournament.
You crop what you seed.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:14 pm That is a good question to trigger a new discussion topic. If you had the power to change the result of any one match, which one would that be? And why?
I agree. This one did not feel right. They were shouting between first and second serve. IMO this was a clear hindrance and umpire should've called it and gave Meddy a first serve. This was the only way to counteract this. Asking them to be quiet clearly did not work.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

Medvedev called them stupid AFTER they were shouting during his serve. Overall I consider this Oz open in the same mold with Roddick's US Open 2003. Multiple interferences to help the "desired" player to win. Roddick got obvious calls in his favor during the semis with Nalbandian and very generous scheduling, having JCF exhausted before the final. Nadal had officials turning blind eye to his time violations during Shapo match.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Nadal did not have officials turning a blind eye during his Shapo match. Nadal had the officials turning a blind eye for his time violations during his entire career.
So that was expected.

And, if we are going to start giving players an excuse for a loss because of the way the crowd behave, we can call Stan Smith (DC vs Romania) or Taylor Fritz (2023 RG) to tell us how you handle that. Medvedev had that match on his hands, and he let it go.