Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by Deuce »

atlpam wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:10 pm Got my first Pfizer dose yesterday!
I believe you mean your pfirst Pfizer...

When you received that pfirst shot, did you automatically get an appointment for your 2nd shot?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Well, I can't NOT share this gem.

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:17 am Well, I can't NOT share this gem.

I literally spit my food out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

From beginning to end, that was one of the best Golden Girls episodes ever.

the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:43 am From beginning to end, that was one of the best Golden Girls episodes ever.

Oh Frieda Claxton. Bless her!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

(...)

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

From the very beginning of this pandemic, I worried about Brazil. That wasn't an irrational fear in itself. But the degree to which I worried about Brazil OVER other countries and regions of the world was completely irrational.

I know it's a crazy thing to even hope for, but I hope Bolsanaro suffers miserably for his dereliction of duty.

I'm going back and forth every 5 minutes over whether or not the cumulative nature of complete and utter inaction in Brazil potentially DOES fall into the category of a genocide. I bristle when I see that word. But when it's all said and done, genocides do not necessarily need to involve armies and guns. (I still haven't ruled out that may be precisely what happened in the United States in 2020.)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If Brazilians are calling it a genocide I'll go with what they're saying.

Was the same thing attempted here? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would prefer a different word. Genocide has a specific connotation which, if we extend it, may start losing meaning and purpose.
I do not deny that Bolsanaro is guilty of a major crime. I just don't want to compare this with Rwanda, Armenia and the current genocides in China and, recently, Myanmar.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:31 am If Brazilians are calling it a genocide I'll go with what they're saying.

Was the same thing attempted here? I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
I am pretty sure I alluded to it at least once before--almost certainly on the old board.

But I never thought it was a coincidence that people of color in the United States were being disproportionately affected by COVID, from the very beginning of the pandemic, both in terms of COVID morbidity but especially in COVID mortality, and the policy stances that were taken by the previous administration. Even as COVID moved into poor white rural areas, it is quite conceivable the previous administration saw the demographic shift as simply expanding into another disposable population--even if we're talking about their voting base--because the rural white population in the United States is overwhelmingly older (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid) and poor (Medicaid, food stamps, welfare, unemployment, etc.).

To be clear, I'm not saying I am convinced of it. I'm only saying I cannot rule it out. And I won't be at all surprised if someone squeals in a tell-all book (which may or may not be believable) or as federal documents/emails are made public.

But if we had a global pandemic that disproportionately affected millionaires or billionaires, we'd be all over it.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Deuce wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:05 pm
atlpam wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:10 pm Got my first Pfizer dose yesterday!
I believe you mean your pfirst Pfizer...

When you received that pfirst shot, did you automatically get an appointment for your 2nd shot?
I did not, but they said I will receive an email in 2 weeks with a link to schedule my 2nd dose.
A friend went to the same vaccination site a week or so ahead of me, so she should be receiving her email soon if the process is working.
When my son got his first dose, they did schedule the second at that time.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

atlpam wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:40 pm I did not, but they said I will receive an email in 2 weeks with a link to schedule my 2nd dose.
A friend went to the same vaccination site a week or so ahead of me, so she should be receiving her email soon if the process is working.
So your son got vaccinated before you did?
Is he a front line worker of some sort? Or is the vaccine priority not at all done by age where your son is?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Deuce wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:09 pm
atlpam wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:40 pm I did not, but they said I will receive an email in 2 weeks with a link to schedule my 2nd dose.
So your son got vaccinated before you did?
Is he a front line worker of some sort? Or is the vaccine priority not at all done by age where your son is?
Yes, he is in an essential worker category - he's an air traffic controller.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is starting to happen.
Received a possible call for a job, which I will not get*, and one of the conditions is "Covid Vaccinated".
I believe a bit too early to "demand" that you have the vaccine. It is still not like I can go to the local health provider, stand in line and get it.
Off Topic
* Won't get it because I know the company (Repsol) and they always do the same: they go out on a tender because it is in their manuals, but then they stick to their 5-6 Spaniards which are the only ones they hire. Don't have a problem with that except that they are not honest and people have to work to present the bid. Guess it keeps them in their jobs.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm It is starting to happen.
Received a possible call for a job, which I will not get*, and one of the conditions is "Covid Vaccinated".
I believe a bit too early to "demand" that you have the vaccine. It is still not like I can go to the local health provider, stand in line and get it.
Given that several million people worldwide have been vaccinated now, I think it's fair that any company ask that applicants for a job be vaccinated. That's a pretty large pool from which to select.
It may not seem fair to those who've not yet been vaccinated... but such is life. There are plenty of other conditions for getting jobs, or for every day life - not everyone is given the same opportunity... only people with a valid driver's licence are permitted to drive, for example.

From the employer's perspective, it makes sense. If they have a choice between a vaccinated person and a non vaccinated person, they'll choose the vaccinated person in order to create a safer workplace. That's less trouble and less costly than testing the employees every 3 days.
Makes sense to me.
R.I.P. Amal...