No votes
Other
28%

Total votes: 109

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: '24 Wimbledon Ladies Singles Draw & Discussion

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:34 am Didn't see it but the reports of the press conference after the match ..Swiatek seemed singularly ungracious ..not a word of praise for her opponent .all about how she didn't get enough rest..sounds like Biden!
It is one of the reasons she is not a fave (to me). She is indeed ungracious when she losses. When you win, everything is fine. When you lose, your real person comes out. And hers is not pleasant.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I'll eat my hat if anyone had Lulu Sun in QF's before the tournament...
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:35 pm I'll eat my hat if anyone had Lulu Sun in QF's before the tournament...

I’ll eat mine if anyone even had her in the tournament.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The Field (AKA Miss Other) takes out the #1 player in the world, and the crowd favorite.
The field, in the WTA, NEVER is below 25%. That is how intense the parity in the WTA is.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Let's see first who the winner is. Still high chances it's either Gauff or Rybakina. Neither is Miss Other.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:16 am putintseva beat Swiatek by doing exactly what Rybakina and Ostapenko do..take time away from her...
I will never understand why so called top players allow her to set the pace outside of the two mentioned above. I'm sitting at home on my couch and I can see that if allowed she will romp through a match at her own pace. Aren't these women, for the most part, paying big bucks to coaches to create a game plan for them? If they're coming on the court with the attitude of "if I play my game I can beat her" Iga wins.

I don't get it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Nobody created a viable game plan against Rafa on clay either. Not for lack of trying I assume. On clay generally speaking no one is able to rush her. Maybe Ostapenko could, but that match hardly ever happens.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:02 pm Let's see first who the winner is. Still high chances it's either Gauff or Rybakina. Neither is Miss Other.
Agree. I am not saying Miss Other is a cinch to win a slam. But she is not at 5%. I think that right now, Gauff and Rybakina are looking at great odds. But if we get Miss Other at least in the final, she has done well.

EDITING AFTER THE REAL EMMA SHOWED UP. The field has taken out the top two, the crowd favorite, and is almost certain to reach the final.
Not bad.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She was born Lulu Radovcić. Her father is Croatian.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Can someone tell me who the woman doing the interview is because isn't she a tad overdressed...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:48 pm Can someone tell me who the woman doing the interview is because isn't she a tad overdressed...
Annabel Croft. Former top UK player. Played in the 90's.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:54 pm
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:48 pm Can someone tell me who the woman doing the interview is because isn't she a tad overdressed...
Annabel Croft. Former top UK player. Played in the 90's.
Thanks. I know her voice but this is the first time I'm seeing her.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The Tennis Letter
@TheTennisLetter
Coco Gauff says fans of the game are disrespectful when it comes to lower ranked players, ‘Even though they might not be as known, they’re still talented… they deserve their spot’

“How much did the fact that you were one of the few remaining top seeds left play on your mind today? I know that’s not very unusual in women’s tennis… did that add any pressure or anything like that?”

Coco: “Not really. Because I’ve seen and played so many slams where anybody can win. And the seed is just a number. It’s just an advantage so you don’t play another seed first round. It doesn’t mean you can’t lose. We’ve seen how a lot of seeds drop out. We’ve seen defending champions drop out. It means nothing. I think especially on my side of the draw.. even though the players might not be as known they’re still talented. I think that’s something that people… fans of the game are a little bit disrespectful when it comes to other players on tour. Maybe the ranking isn’t there. But the level is there. And they’re here for a reason. They deserve their spot. There’s no easy draw. There’s no cake walk or anything. This is competitive sport. We all want to win. I’ve been there when I was ranked whatever or unknown. It would be disrespectful for another player to be like ‘Yeah this girl is ranked whatever and she’s this age.. I should be able to win.’ That’s not the case. I don’t take my seed into account when it comes to anything. I take every match with a very competitive mindset regardless of the ranking or the person I’m playing against.”

Very classy statement.

(via Wimbledon Press)