Women's Doubles • Round 3
J. Cristian/A. Petkovic vs K. Flipkens/S. Sorribes Tormo

Mixed Doubles • Round 2
E. Shibahara 8/B. Mclachlan 8 vs N. Kichenok/S. Gonzalez

Mixed Doubles • Round 2
K. Mladenovic 5/I. Dodig 5 vs A. Rodionova WC/M. Polmans WC

Mixed Doubles • Round 2
L. Kichenok/A. Golubev vs M. Ninomiya A/A. Qureshi A

by meganfernandez Didn't see this Keys obliteration of Badosa coming. Keys just isn't making many mistakes. Badosa is going to have to take more chances, get more aggressive. Her serve seems like a bit of a weakness, at least today. Maddy has done a lot of damage on return.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:51 am Didn't see this Keys obliteration of Badosa coming. Keys just isn't making many mistakes. Badosa is going to have to take more chances, get more aggressive. Her serve seems like a bit of a weakness, at least today. Maddy has done a lot of damage on return.
Badosa has certainly exposed Maddy's lack of foot speed...Keys is winning thus far but Badosa still has a chance, I feel . vika will certainly beat Keys in the next round

by Deuce Kind of get the feeling that Badosa wasn't ready for this... like she had prepared to play someone else, and then Keys got slotted in at the last minute, and Badosa is simply unprepared.
It looks like Keys is a complete unknown to Badosa - she seems completely surprised, and has no idea how to play her.

Fortunately for Badosa, Keys is starting to miss more. But the 1st set was Badosa running around a lot, stretching for shots, and looking confused and frustrated.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:02 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:51 am Didn't see this Keys obliteration of Badosa coming. Keys just isn't making many mistakes. Badosa is going to have to take more chances, get more aggressive. Her serve seems like a bit of a weakness, at least today. Maddy has done a lot of damage on return.
Badosa has certainly exposed Maddy's lack of foot speed...Keys is winning thus far but Badosa still has a chance, I feel . vika will certainly beat Keys in the next round
I agree that Badosa could adjust and exploit Maddy's weaknesess. She needs to change up pace and move her around, bring her in with some slices. It's not over. So far Badosa has given Keys exactly the kind of balls she likes to hit - and isn't serving well.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:07 am Kind of get the feeling that Badosa wasn't ready for this... like she had prepared to play someone else, and then Keys got slotted in at the last minute, and Badosa is simply unprepared.
It looks like Keys is a complete unknown to Badosa - she seems completely surprised, and has no idea how to play her.

Fortunately for Badosa, Keys is starting to miss more. But the 1st set was Badosa running around a lot, stretching for shots, and looking confused and frustrated.
If that's true, Badosa has no excuse! She - and her coach - should have known exactly what Keys would do. She only does one thing! The rest of us knew! ;)

by JTContinental World number 6, my @$$

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:24 am World number 6, my @$$
haha! not today. That was 60% Maddy, 40% Badosa. I think Barty would be a totally different story. Maybe Halep, too.

by ashkor87 I have always thought Badosa is over-rated...her game is quite mediocre

by ti-amie In the end Badosa looked as if she finally hit the wall that's been looming from day 1. No legs and nothing on her serve.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 am In the end Badosa looked as if she finally hit the wall that's been looming from day 1. No legs and nothing on her serve.
Maybe. The Kostyuk match might have taken a lot out of her. But this is the sport. She should be fit enough for her matchload over the last couple weeks. Most of her matches this week were fast.

Maybe the shoulder that was strapped? Heck, maybe she's on her period. My friend and I talk about that a lot in tennis (in fact, she just texted me that about Badosa). It can really throw people off and we never know when they're feeling the effects. Remember when Swiatek mentioned it last year in a presser? Loved it.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:26 am always thought Badosa is over-rated...her game is quite mediocre.
Competitiveness, athleticism, and solid groundies go a long way. She won her way into the top 10.

by ashkor87 Trouble is, everybody has those
.who doesn't?

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 am Trouble is, everybody has those
.who doesn't?
I don't think everyone has her level of competitiveness or pure athleticism. I think both are world-class. And she's aggressive without being sloppy. Some players aren't that consistent. That's what I meant by solid - good pace with the consistency.

by ashkor87 Oh she is certainly a good player..and she is good for the game..we need more like her...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:43 am Oh she is certainly a good player..and she is good for the game..we need more like her...
I think so... and honestly, I was just saying what I see. I'm not the best judge of player talent. So many people see stuff I don't see. Maybe you're right.

by jazzyg
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:02 am I feel . vika will certainly beat Keys in the next round
I think Keys will beat her about as easily as she did Badosa if she continues to play like this. Just a more talented, better player than Azarenka. Not sure what Azarenka does as well as Keys.

by jazzyg
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 am I'm not the best judge of player talent. So many people see stuff I don't see. Maybe you're right.
I don't know about that. Years ago, you went against the grain and wrote Sabalenka was not nearly as ready to win a slam as most people (including me) thought. You were right. You also liked Kontaveit's ability a few years ago, and although she flamed out here, you were proven right with her sizzling end to 2021.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:47 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:02 am I feel . vika will certainly beat Keys in the next round
I think Keys will beat her about as easily as she did Badosa if she continues to play like this. Just a more talented, better player than Azarenka. Not sure what Azarenka does as well as Keys.
I think Azarenka is more consistent and builds points better. Badosa didn't do anything to make Madi uncomfortable.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:50 am
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 am I'm not the best judge of player talent. So many people see stuff I don't see. Maybe you're right.
I don't know about that. Years ago, you went against the grain and wrote Sabalenka was not nearly as ready to win a slam as most people (including me) thought. You were right. You also liked Kontaveit's ability a few years ago, and although she flamed out here, you were proven right with her sizzling end to 2021.
Very flattered that you remember my Sabalenka skepticism. I was pretty smug about that. :) She was the fashionable pick in 2019, I think, after a blazing fall, but didn't have much Slam experience. Anisimova beat her in R2. Well, I was definitely wrong about Badosa - she was my pick to win the tournament. I actually think Barty is the clear favorite, but it was a boring pick. In all fairness, I suck at the women's SPs! I've only made it to the 2nd week once or twice in 15 years!

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:33 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 am In the end Badosa looked as if she finally hit the wall that's been looming from day 1. No legs and nothing on her serve.
Maybe. The Kostyuk match might have taken a lot out of her. But this is the sport. She should be fit enough for her matchload over the last couple weeks. Most of her matches this week were fast.

Maybe the shoulder that was strapped? Heck, maybe she's on her period. My friend and I talk about that a lot in tennis (in fact, she just texted me that about Badosa). It can really throw people off and we never know when they're feeling the effects. Remember when Swiatek mentioned it last year in a presser? Loved it.
Some people are saying the heat was the big issue with Badosa today. Similar to Tokyo, when she retired and left the court in a wheelchair. Do you think that's why she might have been out of gas, playing in the heat this week?

by ashkor87 Krejcikova is smooth as silk...reminds me of Mecir...no effort at all..

by jazzyg Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.

I had Krejcikova beating her in my pre-tournament picks.

by martini4me Heat, maybe a stomach bug or some other illness. She was bending over or slumping several times during the match, she seemed to be feeling somewhat less than 100 per cent today, or actually tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:18 am Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.

10 of those losses might have been to Serena. :) She has lost to Serena 10 times in Slams, but I don't know if Serena was ranked in the top 10 for all of those. Most of them, probably, based on the years those matches happened. I think Vika was extremely tough in her prime. Those 2 finals against Serena at the US Open were pretty close.

by jazzyg Azarenka was very good the first time she won the Australian Open. The next year she survived some very shaky matches, and her movement has never been strong since that first slam win.

No doubt she suffered a lot of tough losses to Serena. Her biggest asset is that she takes herself very seriously and is intimidated by no one, unlike just about everyone else was by Serena in her long prime. But I've watched Azarenka play a series of stinker matches in slams, with her performance in the third round against Halep in 2019 Wimbledon one of the worst matches Ii've ever seen any player play. I just don't like her game. Her serve in particularly is balky, and she has been victimized by several nervy performances even though mental strength is a supposed strength of hers.

by Deuce Am I missing something here?
All this talk (typing) here about how Azarenka will do vs. Keys... But, as far as I'm aware, Azarenka hasn't reached that point yet. Not only that - but it looks like she won't reach that point.
I don't know why you guys are (were?) so sure that it would be Keys vs. Azarenka...

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:42 am Azarenka was very good the first time she won the Australian Open. The next year she survived some very shaky matches, and her movement has never been strong since that first slam win.

No doubt she suffered a lot of tough losses to Serena. Her biggest asset is that she takes herself very seriously and is intimidated by no one, unlike just about everyone else was by Serena in her long prime. But I've watched Azarenka play a series of stinker matches in slams, with her performance in the third round against Halep in 2019 Wimbledon one of the worst matches Ii've ever seen any player play. I just don't like her game. Her serve in particularly is balky.
This match sure is a stinker. Two stinkers in a row tonight. Looks like Azarenka is having a neck problem. Yeah, Azarenka's best weapon has always been her belief and competitiveness, I think. But that backhand, too, at times.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:46 am Am I missing something here?
All this talk (typing) here about how Azarenka will do vs. Keys... But, as far as I'm aware, Azarenka hasn't reached that point yet. Not only that - but it looks like she won't reach that point.
I don't know why you guys are (were?) so sure that it would be Keys vs. Azarenka...
It's definitely not going to be, and I think Krejcikova beats Keys. She can absorb pace.

by Suliso I'd take Keys over Krejcikova as well, but with less confidence than over Azarenka.

Meanwhile Pegula seems to be keen on kicking us all out of the SP... Sakkari kind of mediocre for a top 10 player, but I thought still too strong for Pegula. Maybe still recovers...

by ti-amie If Keys has to face Krejcikova she's toast.

by JazzNU I like Badosa, but I'm not as high on her as many others are. I thought as long as Madison played her game and her serve was on, she'd have this match no problem. I am skeptical of Badosa's staying power at the very top of the game as some of the younger talent emerges. But since she's worked on her serve in the last year, I certainly think she's got a better shot than I did last Spring.

But I like her a lot, think she's been a good addition to the tour. She doesn't mind the spotlight, which is great, not everyone is so natural with it. And regardless of whether she's ranked in the top 10 or top 30, I think she'll be able to be one of the faces of the sport for the next 10 years, and that's a very good thing.

by Suliso
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:50 am If Keys has to face Krejcikova she's toast.
Way too premature, I think. On a good day Keys can blast anyone off the court and I mean anyone. Krejcikova is good, but not amazing on hard courts.

by martini4me
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:18 am Maybe I'll be burned here (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think Azarenka is the most overrated great player of all time. ESPN just posted a stat that she is 2-14 against top-10 players in grand slams, and both wins came against Sharapova. Mystifyingly, she's considered to be some big-match player.
That's quite a stat.

It's also quite wrong. Just looking at her Australian Open history, she beat Zvonareva (9), Radwanska (8), Sharapova (4), Li (6), Wozniacki (8). She did lose to Serena three years in a row (2009-11). If I recall correctly, a couple of those she was ill. Do you remember her staggering around the court and then fainting, luckily her hair braid cushioning the back of her head as she hit the court?

by ti-amie

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:49 am I'd take Keys over Krejcikova as well, but with less confidence than over Azarenka.

Meanwhile Pegula seems to be keen on kicking us all out of the SP... Sakkari kind of mediocre for a top 10 player, but I thought still too strong for Pegula. Maybe still recovers...
Tend to agree with you on Sakkari. Love her and she maximizes her talent, but she has to work awfully hard for everything.

by jazzyg Maybe the stat was from a certain year and on. It definitely was the stat I read.

EDIT: I count 12 wins against players seeded in the top 10 of slams over her career, so that graphic was not even close although her record in those matches is quite poor. Apologize for passing on misinformation.

by meganfernandez
martini4me wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 am
That's quite a stat.

It's also quite wrong. Just looking at her Australian Open history, she beat Zvonareva (9), Radwanska (8), Sharapova (4), Li (6), Wozniacki (8). She did lose to Serena three years in a row (2009-11). If I recall correctly, a couple of those she was ill. Do you remember her staggering around the court and then fainting, luckily her hair braid cushioning the back of her head as she hit the court?
I remember Vika being ill/staggering against Serena in Australia early in her career, before she won. I think it was in 2009, R4, because Vika won that first set and then retired down 4-2 in the second. I also remember hating her back then, for some reason. I was so happy when she retired. It's a very stark memory!

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:54 am
ti-amie wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:50 am If Keys has to face Krejcikova she's toast.
Way too premature, I think. On a good day Keys can blast anyone off the court and I mean anyone. Krejcikova is good, but not amazing on hard courts.
It's not easy to blast balls when you've got no pace coming at you, though. Trying to hit hard off of soft shots is often a recipe for over-hitting.

by ashkor87

Good call then!

by Suliso Not saying easy... But still if I get that far I'm taking Keys in SP. :)

by ashkor87 I am quite confident Krejcikova will beat Keys...just as Sloane did at the USO..she will expose Keys' poor movement and footwork...

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:21 am I am quite confident Krejcikova will beat Keys...just as Sloane did at the USO..she will expose Keys' poor movement and footwork...
Didn't you also think Badosa would beat Keys? ;)

by JTContinental Keys footwork has not really been a liability so far this year. She worked on her fitness a lot over the break

by martini4me
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:02 am Maybe the stat was from a certain year and on. It definitely was the stat I read.
Looking at her WTA page, she certainly had a few deep runs at the hard court majors where she didn't have to play many top seeds. (But you can only beat who's on court against you.) But just 16 months ago, she beat Sabalenka (5) and Serena (3) at the US Open, so ESPN was either out to lunch or was seriously cherry-picking what matches they were counting (like maybe quarter-final or later matches from 2013-2019, or something nonsensical like that).

by jazzyg I had Krejcikova beating Keys in the quarters when the tournament started, but I agree with suliso. If Keys plays like this, she should win that match and can beat anyone no matter how they are playing.

I don't really have a right to comment on that Stephens-Keys U.S. Open final because I've never been more certain one player would win only to have the other player destroy her, but Keys played horribly that day. If she had not been overcome by nerves, she would not have allowed Stephens to expose her movement. Because she was tight and sloppy, that match turned into a rout.

by meganfernandez Meanwhile, Pegula serving for the quarters.

by Suliso 2nd straight AO quarters one should add...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:01 am 2nd straight AO quarters one should add...
Could have 4 US women in the quarters - Anisimova and Collins still alive. I think both have a decent chance at the upset. Collins plays Mertens.

by ponchi101 Just came back to find out that Pegula put 53 people out of the pool.
We have to make some new rules. At least one mulligan, please!

by ashkor87 No one can fight fate!!! Who would have thunk it?

by ashkor87
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:32 am I had Krejcikova beating Keys in the quarters when the tournament started, but I agree with suliso. If Keys plays like this, she should win that match and can beat anyone no matter how they are playing.

I don't really have a right to comment on that Stephens-Keys U.S. Open final because I've never been more certain one player would win only to have the other player destroy her, but Keys played horribly that day. If she had not been overcome by nerves, she would not have allowed Stephens to expose her movement. Because she was tight and sloppy, that match turned into a rout.
Easy to brag now, but I was sure Sloane would win ...she is the most under-rated player ever..a player's player, really..anyway that was then.

by Deuce By the way... Nadal and Mannarino are playing a hell of a 1st set, for anyone interested...

by ponchi101 Since when did Adrain Mannarino learned to play this way? I know this is not over, but, one hell of a set.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:45 am Since when did Adrain Mannarino learned to play this way? I know this is not over, but, one hell of a set.
I'm quite confused by this form as well. Not just this match, but against Hurkacz and Karatsev as well. I'm not saying I've watched him play 100 times or anything, but I don't remember anything remotely close to this in the past.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:58 am ...

I'm quite confused by this form as well. Not just this match, but against Hurkacz and Karatsev as well. I'm not saying I've watched him play 100 times or anything, but I don't remember anything remotely close to this in the past.
I have seen him enough times to see that this is the same style, at a completely different level.
That was a great set, and a majestic TB. And a bit of bad luck for Mannarino. But when two players win 47 points each, that was just luck and the desig n of the scoring system. Somebody had to win it, that is all.

by Deuce 16-14 (Nadal) tiebreak that lasted almost half an hour.
The last point of the tiebreak was great - the best point of the set, and the standard was quite high.
Whether he won or lost this tiebreak, Mannarino wasn't going to win the match - but he is certainly providing entertaining tennis to this point with his 24-25 pound string job.

Another non-power player who plays with Babolat...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:02 am 16-14 (Nadal) tiebreak that lasted almost half an hour.
The last point of the tiebreak was great - the best point of the set, and the standard was quite high.
Whether he won or lost this tiebreak, Mannarino wasn't going to win the match - but he is certainly providing entertaining tennis to this point with his 24-25 pound string job.

Another non-power player who plays with Babolat...
Who would have thought?? Great stuff. Tiebreak lasted half an hour, evidently. Rafa's celebration on set point was, um, improvised. A little bit Emilio Estevez dancing high in The Breakfast Club.

by JazzNU Sascha in serious danger of losing this match. Seems off today for sure and now getting frustrated. Not like it was ever going to be a gimme anyway. Denis very much on his game so far.

by MJ2004 Decent racquet smash from Sascha.

by ashkor87 Wonder if Shapo is going to pull off a huge upset...he has Zverev down...that would be a big step up for him.

by ashkor87 Will make Nadal's path a bit easier...

by skatingfan Not so fast - Shapovalov is donating a few points now.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:22 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:21 am I am quite confident Krejcikova will beat Keys...just as Sloane did at the USO..she will expose Keys' poor movement and footwork...
Didn't you also think Badosa would beat Keys? ;)
No, I was not sure how good Badoda really is..now I know

by meganfernandez

by skatingfan That was a bad tie-break that Shapovalov & Zverev just played, in contrast to Nadal-Mannarino. Both players tried to give it away but in the end Zverev's forehand errors were more generous than Shapovalov's double faults, and Denis got the 2nd set.

by meganfernandez Zverev now down 2 sets and a break. They are saying the heat might be a problem? Also makes the court play really fast? Listless performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by martini4me "Listless" is a very good description. No fire at all. Since he destroyed the racquet, he hasn't even shown negative emotion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by JazzNU
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:29 am Zverev now down 2 sets and a break. They are saying the heat might be a problem? Also makes the court play really fast? Listless performance.
They don't know. They are as perplexed by his performance as the rest of us, they are just trying to come up with explanations that informs what they are seeing. The heat is the their best guess, but they can't be sure. They haven't noticed much besides him seeming out of sorts. They've talked most about the heat in relation to the speed of the court and the ball being more than what he expected, rather than him physically wilting in the heat.

ETA: This is on the world feed at least, maybe they know more on the main ESPN one.

by meganfernandez Nadal is going to crush Shapo.

by skatingfan Zverev was very listless, and was mistiming the forehand.

by skatingfan Nadal vs Medvedev final - rematch of the 2019 US Open.

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote:Zverev was very listless, and was mistiming the forehand.
Yeah Sascha framed quite a few. And Denis didn’t play like a dum-dum.

by meganfernandez
skatingfan wrote:Nadal vs Medvedev final - rematch of the 2019 US Open.
Likely. Or Med-Monfils. Or Cilic-Nadal.

by jazzyg Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

This Rafa can't handle Shapo's all-around game without donations.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

Rafa won’t let him get away with serving around 50%, like Shapo did in the first set and still won 6-3! Would be nice to see a match like the one they had in Montreal so many years ago. But Nadal won’t roll over like Sascha did today.

by jazzyg Zverev has a much better return of serve than Rafa. Shapovalov will be more comfortable serving to him.

by JTContinental I don't mind all the UFEs that Anisimova is hitting because she is being really aggressive. She needs to work on her shot selection, but she looks like she could contend for big titles again.

by skatingfan The crowd at Kecmanovic-Monfils is starting to get annoying - a little too lubricated I suppose. Usually it's the piercing screams from the players that get to be too much, but the fans their need to bring it down to an 11.

by Suliso Maybe Key in the zone can prevent Barty reaching the final, but otherwise I don't see a chance for anyone. Assuming of course her level doesn't drop significantly.

by Deuce In the 2nd set, Berrettini just served at 83% 1st serves and an average of 195 kph - and still had to go to a tiebreak to win it.
He's up 2 sets to love now.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:56 am Nadal is going to crush Shapo.

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 am Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

So, do we settle in: it will go 5 sets? :)
It would be really hard to call.

by JazzNU The Barty vs. Anisimova match is a perfect example of why I'm not a fan of OCC at grand slams (and think it's changed the trajectory of outcomes on the regular tour). Amanda was very jumpy and even a single visit from Darren I think would have calmed her down and re-focused her efforts. She was not capable of doing it on her own yesterday. Give her some OCC, and I think she would've done much better. Which I guess is great for the viewer to see a more competitive, higher quality match, but not for many other reasons to me.

A shame she couldn't muster more than what she did in this match, but I'd expect her to have a better shot at beating Ash in the future on hard courts, and being capable of doing so on clay this season if she maintains this form.

by ti-amie
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:31 pm The Barty vs. Anisimova match is a perfect example of why I'm not a fan of OCC at grand slams (and think it's changed the trajectory of outcomes on the regular tour). Amanda was very jumpy and even a single visit from Darren I think would have calmed her down and re-focused her efforts. She was not capable of doing it on her own yesterday. Give her some OCC, and I think she would've done much better. Which I guess is great for the viewer to see a more competitive, higher quality match, but not for many other reasons to me.

A shame she couldn't muster more than what she did in this match, but I'd expect her to have a better shot at beating Ash in the future on hard courts, and being capable of doing so on clay this season if she maintains this form.
OCC has ruined the women's game.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:56 am Nadal is going to crush Shapo.

jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 am Shapovalov is going to beat Nadal if he keeps this level. Doesn't have to be better. Just has to stay at this level.

So, do we settle in: it will go 5 sets? :)
It would be really hard to call.
I think 4 or 5. I guess “crush” would be too harsh. But he’s gonna make Denis work a lot harder than Zverev did.

by Liamvalid Just noticed that every singles match was won in straight sets today, that must be rare at this stage of a slam