FRA S.Grosjean/FRA C.Pioline vs FRA M.Bahrami/FRA J.Benneteau
Women’s Legends
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA C.Rubin/FRA S.Testud vs SVK D. Hantuchova/USA M. Navratilova

Court SIMONNE-MATHIEU

Men’s Doubles
QUARTERFINALS
ESP M. Granollers (4)/ARG H. Zeballos (4) vs NED W. Koolhof (6)/GBR N. Skupski (6)
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
QUARTERFINALS
Not before 12:00
UKR M. Kostyuk/ROU EG. Ruse vs USA M. Keys/USA T. Townsend
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
QUARTERFINALS
BEL M. Zanevska/BEL K. Zimmermann vs UKR L. Kichenok (14)/LAT J. Ostapenko (14)
Women’s Doubles
UPCOMING
THIRD ROUND
Not before 15:30
CZE L. Hradecka (10)/IND S. Mirza (10) vs USA C. Gauff (8)/USA J. Pegula (8)
Mixed Doubles
UPCOMING
QUARTERFINALS
Not before 17:00
CZE L. Hradecka/ECU G. Escobar vs CAN G. Dabrowski (3)/AUS J. Peers (3)

Court 14

Women’s Legends
FIRST ROUND
ITA F.Pennetta/ITA F.Schiavone vs BUL M.Maleeva/AUS R.Stubbs
Men’s Legends
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
FRA G.Forget/GER T.Haas vs FRA N.Escude/FRA PH.Mathieu
Men’s Legends
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
FRA H.Leconte/FRA M.Llodra vs FRA A.Clement/FRA F.Santoro

Court 7

Boys’ Singles
SECOND ROUND
FRA P.Barbier Gazeu vs ESP D.Merida Aguilar
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
MAR A.El Aouni vs FRA Y. Bartashevich (16)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
USA B.Kuzuhara (1) vs FRA S.Cuenin
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
SVK N.Daubnerova/BEL A.Van Impe vs FRA Y. Bartashevich (4)/--- K.Zaytseva (4)

Court 6

Girls’ Singles
SECOND ROUND
FRA M.Ngijol Carre vs CZE N. Bartunkova (13)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
FRA G. Debru (14) vs USA O.Colak
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
SUI M.Brunold vs FRA A.Gea
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
FRA S. Iliev (W)/FRA TS. Rakotomanga Rajaonah (W) vs JPN H.Kinoshita/JPN S.Saito
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
USA A.Michelsen/USA M.Zheng vs THA T.Nirundorn/POL B.Zgola

Court 3

Boys’ Doubles
FIRST ROUND
--- E.Arutiunian/MKD K. Ivanovski vs CZE H.Barton/USA A.Kim
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
CRO L.Mikrut/ESP P.Rodenas vs CZE J.Nicod/CZE V.Petr
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
GER C.Kuhl/CZE K.Tomajkova vs CRO P.Marcinko (6)/DEN JC.Svendsen (6)

Court 4

Boys’ Doubles
FIRST ROUND
BEL GA.Bailly/KOR G.Campana Lee vs PER G.Bueno (2)/PER I.Buse (2)
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
CAN V.Mboko (11) vs GBR RA.Stoiber
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
SUI C. Naef (7) vs BUL D.Glushkova

Court 8

Girls’ Doubles
FIRST ROUND
GER E.Seidel/GER JLS.Steur vs ITA G.Pedone/CZE J.Struplova
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
BEL A.Blockx vs CRO D.Prizmic (10)
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
HUN L.Udvardy vs CZE L.Havlickova (9)
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
SUI C.Fontenel/ARG S.Sierra vs USA A.Blokhina/USA S.Macavei
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
HUN L.Udvardy/SVK N.Vargova vs CRO L.Ciric Bagaric (7)/BEL S.Costoulas (7)

Court 9

Girls’ Singles
SECOND ROUND
CAN A.Xu vs AND V.Jimenez Kasintseva (3)
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
SVK PB.Privara vs FRA T.Papamalamis
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
AUS J.Jin vs SUI K.Feldbausch (7)
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
BRA J.Fonseca/BOL JC.Prado Angelo vs FRA J.Leroux (W)/FRA T.Papamalamis (W)
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
CZE J.Mensik (5)/POL O.Pieczkowski (5) vs SUI M.Brunold/GER L.Gavrielides

Court 10

Girls’ Singles
SECOND ROUND
ARG L.Peyre vs DEN JC.Svendsen
Boys’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
BRA J.Fonseca vs PAR AD.Vallejo (2)
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
CZE L.Klimovicova/CZE D.Salkova vs ARG L.Peyre/USA M.Slama
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
SWE S.Eriksson/NAM CH.Van Schalkwyk vs USA O.Colak/CAN J.Weekes
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
CZE S.Bejlek (1)/CZE L.Havlickova (1) vs CAN M.Kupres/GBR RA.Stoiber

Court 11

Boys’ Doubles
FIRST ROUND
FRA W.Jucha/FRA L.Lestir vs SUI D.Dietrich/TUR T.Tokac
Girls’ Singles
UPCOMING
SECOND ROUND
ARG S.Sierra vs BEL H.Vandewinkel
Boys’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
SLO B.Artnak/LTU V.Gaubas vs SVK P.Nad/POL M.Pawelski
Girls’ Doubles
UPCOMING
FIRST ROUND
USA L.Hovde (3)/USA Q.Lopez (3) vs --- E.Khayrutdinova/CAN A.Xu

by Deuce I'm taking Grosjean and Pioline over Bahrami and Benneteau.
WHY ISN'T THERE A POLL ON THIS??!!??

by Deuce Leylah just took the first Medical Time Out I've ever seen her take at any level, going back to when she was playing Juniors at 15 years old.

The problem is with her right foot.
4-2 Trevisan, 1st set.

by ashkor87 Well, Bahrami must be a hundred or so!

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:42 am Leylah just took the first Medical Time Out I've ever seen her take at any level, going back to when she was playing Juniors at 15 years old.

4-2 Trevisan, 1st set.
Yes, not good, and she is not moving so well any more...

by Suliso
Deuce wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:42 am Leylah just took the first Medical Time Out I've ever seen her take at any level, going back to when she was playing Juniors at 15 years old.

4-2 Trevisan, 1st set.
I came here to write that I'm super surprised that Trevisan is winning so far. An injury would of course explain it easily...

by Deuce The kid's battling.
Although noticeably hampered by the foot injury, she's up 4-3 in the 2nd.

Dad/coach Jorge seemed to be telling her to retire from the match right after the MTO - but Leylah is as stubborn as he is, and she has ignored that advice.
She's a fighter...

by Deuce Quite admirably, given the circumstance, Leylah saves a match point and then goes up 6-5 in the 2nd...

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote:The kid's battling.
Although noticeably hampered by the foot injury, she's up 4-3 in the 2nd.

Dad/coach Jorge seemed to be telling her to retire from the match right after the MTO - but Leylah is as stubborn as he is, and she has ignored that advice.
She's a fighter...
She never gives up… biggest heart out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Deuce Leylah and the pain in her foot take the 2nd set in a tiebreak.
Win or lose, she's done herself very proud.

by Suliso I think this is as much as she could do today. Trevisan is not going to gift anything either. A lucky break for her, but of course lots of work and fight to get this far in the first place.

by ponchi101 Trevisan just missed a swinging volley long, to go down 15-40 while serving for the match. Then she gets broken.
I wrote about it, so obviously I am biased. But I have seem so many missed swinging volleys, and so many that are just smacked hard at the opponent who then gets it back and is back in the point, that I still consider it the dumbest shot on all the sport. It simply does not have the effectiveness of a proper, regular volley.
Would love to see how many swinging volleys actually go for a winner.

by ponchi101 Trevisan to serve for the match for the second time. I would put 48% of my money she gets broken back, again.

by Deuce With so many of today’s players retiring in-match if they have so much as a hangnail, I hope that Leylah’s effort today inspires some current and future players to have pride in their work and to respect the fans, the opponent, and the sport enough to battle on.
Pam Shriver described it as an ‘old school effort’ today. She knows, because she played in an era when retirements were extremely rare.

by ponchi101 Ok, I just lost 48% of my money.
Second time she makes the semis, no?
I got to watch the match late, so the reports here that Leylah was hobbled by an injury are welcome. Still, that will pay off in the future, if it is not paying off right now. Players will know that they cannot count on a retirement from her. It will not happen.
She will always be able to sleep the sleep of the Nadal's, Ferrer's, Graf's, Seles' and the many others that never quit on a court.
I gather she is approaching top 10 ranking soon. Not a given in the WTA, but with the parity and her game, very doable. One has to wonder where she would be had she won that USO final. She has been more solid than Emma since then.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:36 pm Ok, I just lost 48% of my money.
First semi. She was a quarterfinalist in 2020.

In case anyone missed it, Trevisan was a top junior then had to step away from the game for 5 years with anorexia. I had no idea! So nice that she has a second chance.
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:36 pm I got to watch the match late, so the reports here that Leylah was hobbled by an injury are welcome. Still, that will pay off in the future, if it is not paying off right now. Players will know that they cannot count on a retirement from her. It will not happen.
She will always be able to sleep the sleep of the Nadal's, Ferrer's, Graf's, Seles' and the many others that never quit on a court.
I gather she is approaching top 10 ranking soon. Not a given in the WTA, but with the parity and her game, very doable. One has to wonder where she would be had she won that USO final. She has been more solid than Emma since then.
Love this phrase.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:36 pm Ok, I just lost 48% of my money.
No, the first time she lost in QF's.

by jazzyg
jazzyg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:19 pm
I have never seen Trevisan play, but her results have been very good lately and she just clobbered Linette, making Jabeur's loss to Linette look even worse.

Would not be surprised if Trevisan reached the semis
She needed some help with Fernandez getting hurt, and she knocked me out of the suicide pool when she beat Sasnovich, but my initial impression turned out to be correct. And now that I have watched all of her matches against Saville (picked her) and Sasnovich (picked against her) while hoping to get a medal in a women's draw for the first time ever, I believe her ability is underrated. She has a nasty topspin forehand, can do damage with her backhand and has good court sense, knowing when to come in and knock off a volley. I saw only the final three games today, so I can't comment on her form from this one, but she is a deserving semifinalist.

by Suliso She has definitely proven that the first time was not a fluke. On the other hand Podoroska has fallen off the Earth...

by Deuce
Suliso wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:14 pm She has definitely proven that the first time was not a fluke. On the other hand Podoroska has fallen off the Earth...
... And Zidansek is somewhere in the middle of Trevisan and Podoroska...

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:14 pm She has definitely proven that the first time was not a fluke. On the other hand Podoroska has fallen off the Earth...
I think I posted this before. ESPN L. America was really counting on Podoroska to do much better, and ran an entire year of promotions literally saying "follow Nadia Podoroska AND THE OTHER STARS OF THE TOUR...".
I thought is was incredibly arrogant to single her over other, more established players. And now, they have stopped running that promotion but have not updated it to, for example, Haddad Maia, who is the highest ranked player in the continent, or Camila, who is the highest ranked SPANISH speaking player in the region (ESPN Brasil is of course separate from ESPN L.A. because of the language).

by Suliso I guess they learned their lesson. Is Schwartzman a big deal down there?

by ponchi101 In Argentina, very close to the top of popularity. He has to deal with Messi and a lot of other footballers, plus of course, Delpo is still a very popular guy. But Diego is revered for his fighting spirit and you have to admit, he is a fun guy that has a good sense of humor. So he has very good sponsorships.
Actually, he is sponsored by STAR+, which is the parent company that now owns ESPN, and is Disney's streaming platform to L. America. That has got to be a huge deal.

by ponchi101 I know he got whopped in Madrid, but how much of a chance do we give Zverev? I say he has a good one. 45%
IF he serves well (meaning, less than 2 DF per set).

by Suliso Maybe even more. Alcaraz almost lost already two rounds ago.

by ponchi101 Strange that this will be considered an upset, as Zverev is the higher ranked player.
But even here a lot of people said it was Alcaraz' tournament.

by Suliso It's just a bit too early

by ashkor87 Zverev was biding his time, waiting for the big 3 to leave but forgot to look in the rear-view mirror...now he seems to have seen the Predator approaching, hopefully he will wake up now! Focus on aggression on the court, not with his women!

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:19 pm Strange that this will be considered an upset, as Zverev is the higher ranked player.
But even here a lot of people said it was Alcaraz' tournament.
Not by me. And only me. :) Alcaraz may still win the whole thing, but he wasn't in my top 3.
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:33 pm I know he got whopped in Madrid, but how much of a chance do we give Zverev? I say he has a good one. 45%
IF he serves well (meaning, less than 2 DF per set).
I threw out the Madrid result. I thought Zverev had a very good chance based on experience and suitability of the surface. Not a favorite, but an equal.

by ponchi101 Focus on improving his second serve (Zverev, replying to Ashkor). I would give Sampras a call and ask if he could spend a week doing nothing but serving. His mechanics are very good, but the mental aspect when serving that 2nd serve is so shaky.

by ashkor87 Zverev suddenly fell back into his passive ways, cost him the third set!

by ponchi101 Does this go 5? I say yes...

by meganfernandez Don't ask me to explain or justify, but I absolutely hate Alcaraz's stupid drop shot. It's probably why I haven't caught Alcaraz fever yet.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:15 pm Don't ask me to explain or justify, but I absolutely hate Alcaraz's stupid drop shot. It's probably why I haven't caught Alcaraz fever yet.
Well, you are asking for us not to ask why you hate it but, it is very effective. He wins more than he loses.
So don't explain ;)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:21 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:15 pm Don't ask me to explain or justify, but I absolutely hate Alcaraz's stupid drop shot. It's probably why I haven't caught Alcaraz fever yet.
Well, you are asking for us not to ask why you hate it but, it is very effective. He wins more than he loses.
So don't explain ;)
Oh, it's a good one. It works. It's hard to articulate. Something along the lines of something fairly basic - it's not hard to learn a good-enough drop shot and when to use it - working disproportionally well for this one player and becoming an awe-inspiring part of his game. This outcome offends my twitchy pragmatism.

I love a good drop shot - who doesn't? All respect for the dropper. I wish I had one.

by shmrck14
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:27 pm
So don't explain ;)
Oh, it's a good one. It works. It's hard to articulate. Something along the lines of something fairly basic - it's not hard to learn a good-enough drop shot and when to use it - working disproportionally well for this one player and becoming an awe-inspiring part of his game. This outcome offends my twitchy pragmatism.

I love a good drop shot - who doesn't? All respect for the dropper. I wish I had one.
You must of really just hated that dropper lob dropper within one point!

by meganfernandez
shmrck14 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:59 pm

So don't explain ;)

You must of really just hated that dropper lob dropper within one point!

thank GOD I wasn't watching. I would have taken it personally. :) It was fine when Hingis did it!

by meganfernandez I love how the commentator (on TC Plus) said "Zverev FINALLY defeats a Top 10 player at a major!" Such a burn.

by Irena2 I really, really wanted Alcaraz to get that match. I can't stand watching Zverev.

by dmforever Bleck :(

Kevin

by ponchi101 First game of the Novak/Rafa match: like 8 minutes.
They are going to be playing past midnight...

by JTContinental Waking up this morning to see Coco is in the semis. She still has not dropped a set in this tournament, but also has not faced a player ranked higher than she is yet

by dryrunguy Belated comments on the Zverev/Alcaraz match... I wasn't able to pay close attention because the day was packed with meetings. But when I was able to take a look or actually watch a point here and there, I could tell that this was a deeply personal match for Zverev. And except for that last service game in the third, he managed the "personalness" of the match pretty darn well.

On the flip side, a loss like this might be the best thing for Carlitos' immediate and long-term development. He will have to struggle with keeping the hype in check. And today, it got checked.

by texasniteowl I am not able to see the Nadal/Djok. match...what is going on? I didn't expect Rafa to be out to a 6-2, 3-0 lead?!

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:20 pm I am not able to see the Nadal/Djok. match...what is going on? I didn't expect Rafa to be out to a 6-2, 3-0 lead?!
Same...

by ponchi101 Novak is a bit off, Rafa is playing just solid tennis. Not a great match as far as strokes or points, but Rafa is doing what is needed.
It can change quickly if Novak raises the level. He is really not bothering Rafa at all.

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:20 pm I am not able to see the Nadal/Djok. match...what is going on? I didn't expect Rafa to be out to a 6-2, 3-0 lead?!
Try the radio... http://chai5she.cdn.dvmr.fr/roland-garros.mp3

by ponchi101 20 minutes of serving by Rafa, to lose that game.
I think this has changed completely, and our poll will come true.

by ponchi101 Totally weird match. Now Rafa again ahead.

by jazzyg I knew it was over the second Djokovic didn't run for the Rafa drop "lob" that hit the service line when Djokovic was serving for the fourth set. He tapped out physically twice in the lead-up tournaments and was gassed again today.

This year has been an unrelenting nightmare for me when it comes to tennis. The worst ever.

by ponchi101 I guess one is so involved in this matches that the feelings are the same. I felt that there was no way Rafa was coming back from that dropped second set.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:I knew it was over the second Djokovic didn't run for the Rafa drop "lob" that hit the service line when Djokovic was serving for the fourth set. He tapped out physically twice in the lead-up tournaments and was gassed again today.

This year has been an unrelenting nightmare for me when it comes to tennis. The worst ever.
I’m so sorry. Are you a Novak fan? He’ll still be the favorite - and super motivated - at the next two Slams.

by ashkor87
So don't explain ;)

Me too actually...sometimes it feels disrespectful, like an underhand serve..
I use it a lot myself but that is club tennis where the ethos is different...

by ashkor87 I still feel winning the Italian was not good for Djokovic..the record shows it too .whenever he has won the Italian, he has lost at the French..takes too much out of him, perhaps.

by ponchi101 Well, but since 2005, whoever won anything before RG that was NOT Nadal, could say it was not good.
The Nadal streak simply has made those stats very difficult to analyze because Nadal is such an anomaly.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:07 am Well, but since 2005, whoever won anything before RG that was NOT Nadal, could say it was not good.
The Nadal streak simply has made those stats very difficult to analyze because Nadal is such an anomaly.
'others abide our question, thou art free'

by ashkor87 Mathew Arnold on Shakespeare...

by Deuce
So don't explain ;)
^ I very much disagree. It's not at all an easy shot to master. It's very difficult to hit well, and it's also difficult to learn WHEN to use it.
meganfernandez wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:27 pm I love a good drop shot - who doesn't? All respect for the dropper. I wish I had one.
^ Well... THAT explains your disgust with the Alcaraz drop shot... It's pure jealousy. :D

By the way... I came close to having to pay you $100 - and I would have paid it... but I escaped at the last moment. So Sloane didn't quite make the Semis... and you didn't quite make $100 :cry: .
Very surprised to see her make the quarterfinal after the past couple of years, during which she has certainly looked more disinterested and uninspired than anything else. I figured she'd be gone by the 2nd round here.
She gave me a legitimate scare after I wrote that I'd give you $100 if she made the Semis... :shock:

by ashkor87 It is funny how Djoko-Nadal matches often pivot on the third set...

by Deuce Regarding Leylah's foot injury... it wasn't a blister or blisters.
It's something she came into the match with - it happened in a previous match and worsened.
I don't know what the final diagnosis is, or whether they want to reveal what it is, but they were going to check it after the match.

Her dad wasn't very happy that she continued playing. But, hey - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree - she is stubborn because he is stubborn - that's the example he set, and she followed it! :D
Personally, I'm glad she continued and definitely made a match of it. This shows the other players that she's not going to just roll over - even if something is obviously wrong.

by Deuce This Nadal guy is incredible.
Every time it looks like 'No - he can't do it this time' - because of injury, age, or other factors, he shows that he CAN still do it.

His will and desire can overcome more obstacles than anyone else is remotely capable of.
He has got to be the most fierce competitor tennis has ever known.