An early look at the US Open

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: An early look at the US Open

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:16 pm US citizens already have exemptions
And as a non US citizen, when I went to the USA in January I had to upload my vaccination cards on the United Airlines site or they would not let me board the plane. No exception.
And, although I am a resident of Colombia, but not a Citizen, I would have not been allowed to enter the country again without proof of vaccination. If you are a citizen, you can enter if you are not vaccinated, AND then you have to go through a two weeks quarantine. Which is very strictly enforced (if you are caught breaching the quarantine you can spend some time quarantined in prison).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:30 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:16 pm US citizens already have exemptions
And as a non US citizen, when I went to the USA in January I had to upload my vaccination cards on the United Airlines site or they would not let me board the plane. No exception.
And, although I am a resident of Colombia, but not a Citizen, I would have not been allowed to enter the country again without proof of vaccination. If you are a citizen, you can enter if you are not vaccinated, AND then you have to go through a two weeks quarantine. Which is very strictly enforced (if you are caught breaching the quarantine you can spend some time quarantined in prison).
Is that the quarantine procedure for Colombia? Here in the USA they also have a time frame for quarantine , but I don't think it is strictly enforced. I don't know for sure though.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am flying to Venezuela on Saturday. MY Home country; not a resident, still a citizen.
I have to:
Bring in proof of vaccination.
Submit to a $60 C19 test (at the airport, upon arrival).
Give my address and e-mail for them to deliver the test result.
If I fail the test, I have to quarantine.
I can shove my rights up my... Ok, I don't have any rights there, since we are a dictatorship. But there are NO exceptions.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:42 pm I am flying to Venezuela on Saturday. MY Home country; not a resident, still a citizen.
I have to:
Bring in proof of vaccination.
Submit to a $60 C19 test (at the airport, upon arrival).
Give my address and e-mail for them to deliver the test result.
If I fail the test, I have to quarantine.
I can shove my rights up my... Ok, I don't have any rights there, since we are a dictatorship. But there are NO exceptions.
$60 to take a Covid test? What the ... is that all about? Here in the United States they give the test kits out for free. I never heard of something so ridiculous.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Because it is the Vennie Government, and they charge you that. And we are all very clear that SOME BIG SHOT in the Government is running the scam.
And if you don't like it, don't come.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:32 pm Because it is the Vennie Government, and they charge you that. And we are all very clear that SOME BIG SHOT in the Government is running the scam.
And if you don't like it, don't come.
Sounds like another reason to put in the column to not come. ;)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

the question it raises is - if the US Open discriminates between US Citizens and non-US-Citizens, how open is it, really? The defence could be - it is the government who is discriminating, not us, which is what the Australian Open and Wimbledon also could have said.. it looks like only the French Open is really Open!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Our problem with your line of reasoning is that the USO is not discriminating against anybody. The Govt of the USA is not discriminating against anybody. The government sets a series of policies for people to enter and, if you do not fulfill them, you don't come in.
Daniel Galan and Cami Osorio (Colombian 31's) need to apply for a visa to get into the USA. Hugo Dellien from Bolivia, too. Every single Argentinian needs a visa. If you don't get it, you don't come in.
If you cannot show proof of money to come into the USA, you can be detained by ANY officer from CBP and be returned back home. When I fly through Europe, I need to show AT LEAST one credit card or financial instrument that will show that I have the money to sustain myself while there.
And every single foreign person the USA needs to be vaccinated. The rule is simple.
I really do not understand your line of reasoning. If Americans want to enter their country without being vaccinated, that is between Americans (and we know the problems that has generated). But that is precisely what a country is: a club, and the members get special treatment over the non-members.
So, if it raises a question, the answer is right there.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm Our problem with your line of reasoning is that the USO is not discriminating against anybody. The Govt of the USA is not discriminating against anybody. The government sets a series of policies for people to enter and, if you do not fulfill them, you don't come in.
Daniel Galan and Cami Osorio (Colombian 31's) need to apply for a visa to get into the USA. Hugo Dellien from Bolivia, too. Every single Argentinian needs a visa. If you don't get it, you don't come in.
If you cannot show proof of money to come into the USA, you can be detained by ANY officer from CBP and be returned back home. When I fly through Europe, I need to show AT LEAST one credit card or financial instrument that will show that I have the money to sustain myself while there.
And every single foreign person the USA needs to be vaccinated. The rule is simple.
I really do not understand your line of reasoning. If Americans want to enter their country without being vaccinated, that is between Americans (and we know the problems that has generated). But that is precisely what a country is: a club, and the members get special treatment over the non-members.
It was similar for Australia. The exemption for recent covid infection only applied to Australian citizens returning to the country. All non citizens were still required to be vaccinated.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I guess until this Covid thing is really under control which I doubt will be in a very long time these countries governments are going to have a hand in a lot of things when it comes from people from other countries coming and going in and out of there countries. This includes athletes in all types of sports.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm Our problem with your line of reasoning is that the USO is not discriminating against anybody. The Govt of the USA is not discriminating against anybody. The government sets a series of policies for people to enter and, if you do not fulfill them, you don't come in.
Isn't that the same argument the Trump administration made when it tried to ban people from Muslim countries? Are you now saying that argument was correct? I should hope not!

If anything, it is US citizens who need to be vaccinated..they are more vulnerable than most non-us citizens, low immunity..anyway, once you say US citizens can enter without vaccination, it ceases to be a public health argument, doesn't it?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Time to close this chapter though, maybe shift it to the board on government policies or something! I generally stay away from that sort of thing, so...partly because I am not particularly proud of my own government's policies- is anybody?

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Maybe it is just me but this whole Covid and vaccine thing has gotten into everything. Politics, Sports, Entertainment when really it is a health related issue and in my opinion that is where it should have stayed. Once it became political and in many ways the whole Novak Djokovic thing is that now it has all gone completely insane and out of control. It is a health issue that is a world health issue. Let the health professionals deal with it and the scientists that make these vaccines and all these other people keep their two cents out of it.

I don't know maybe I am being too naive about all of it as I am not going to say I know much about all of this, but it seems because this and many other things become political it all gets out of control.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:29 am Time to close this chapter though, maybe shift it to the board on government policies or something! I generally stay away from that sort of thing, so...partly because I am not particularly proud of my own government's policies- is anybody?
There is a "C19 and tennis" topic:
https://www.talkabouttennis2.com/viewto ... ?t=83#p721

And, yes, maybe time to move it there. Feel free to do so, and then I can reply to a couple of your questions.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

On the tennis side of things at the US Open, I look for more of an open men's draw kind of like the women's draw this year with Novak out, Rafa and his Abs injury, Zverev out. That leaves the chances for one of these younger players to step up and jump into the spotlight and possibly knock off a Medvedev. Someone like A Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner or even an American in Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Brandon Nakashima or someone like that. Regardless who it might be, I think it is a lot more wide open and I think we are going to come out of this USO with a 1st time champion.