With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

meganfernandez United States of America

Re: 2024 AO Survivor Pool: WTA Picks and Results Summary

Post by meganfernandez »

joanjettson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:01 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:43 am Day 4 Summary - 59 of you went to battle today, and you left no one behind without a pick. God's speed.

Wozniacki -14
Fernandez - 12
Garcia - 7

FULL REACTIONS:
Remember. I was out on Day 1. I am in no position to judge. But I get to anyway.

Wozniacki - you'll sail through, but she is in a soft section where I'd take her over both BHM and Sakkari, I think. I'm betting on a 2017 Featherweight Flashback, Mertens vs Wozniakic, for a spot in the quarters.

Fernandez - You're golden if she wins because she will get Coco'd in the next round, but I predict a close match, like 60/40. (With no evidence, like a head-to-head or ever having seen Parks play a full match.) Parks is only ranked a couple spots behind Leylah. This isn't a gimme.

Garcia - You could have played her in the next round, but also, she could beat Gauff. Yes, I said it. Gauff is fantastic but she isn't unbeatable by any means. Garcia appears to be in great form again. If you're playing for the Updated thread, solid pick. If you're playing for glory, you have to hold on to these cards.
What a delightful morning-after read! Please rename "FULL REACTIONS" to "KISS OF DEATH" :ax
:lol: And thanks.

Post by meganfernandez »

Congrats to those Day 2 Mertens pickers, if any of you are still alive. That worked out. Barely!
Jeff from TX United States of America

Post by Jeff from TX »

Fernandez took me out, but I was happy for Parks. It's been a good tourney for her.
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:16 pm Congrats to those Day 2 Mertens pickers, if any of you are still alive. That worked out. Barely!
Up here for thinking and down there for dancing

Post by meganfernandez »

Jeff from TX wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:40 pm Fernandez took me out, but I was happy for Parks. It's been a good tourney for her.
90% of the pool is out by Day 4. You lasted three days longer than i did! Sorry I took you out. :)
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

New England Nitemare wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:06 pm And now add Sakkari.
The pool is down to 17 players, just on day 4. I gather the UPDATED topic has never been started this early. :cry: :cry: :cry:

EDIT: And Mertens. I did not see that she was out too. The pool is down to 13 players.
WOW....13 lucky people live to see another day!!! Not out of round 2 yet....sheesh.

I've been playing these survivor pools for a minute, and I NEVER have seen this few still standing so early.

It goes to show you how tough it is to win one of these survivor pools!!

At this rate we could have a winner before the week is out!!!
Wow 13 players left and R2 is not complete. I was surprised when I submitted my pick to see only 10 posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

Hey, no big deal but my day 2 Mertens Pick is missing from the picks and results summary.

Cheers
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

And all the Noskova pickers breathe again. Thought we were doomed after that 2nd set.

Post by meganfernandez »

naughtyT wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:37 am Hey, no big deal but my day 2 Mertens Pick is missing from the picks and results summary.

Cheers
it's in the Updated thread. Don't worry. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

naughtyT wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:37 am Hey, no big deal but my day 2 Mertens Pick is missing from the picks and results summary.

Cheers
Not coming down on you, but to explain.
Our parser picks your posts in two fashions:
1. Your LAST post of the topic as long as it is
2. Less than 100 characters long.

You posted a last comment that was complimentary of Megan's job, but it was less than 100 characters long. So, your Mertens post was lost in the parsing.
Why 100 characters? Because some of our members post via Tapatalk, and those posts come with a tag (posted from my phone via Tapatalk) that makes them about 80-90 characters long. So, we still need to pick those posts and THEN filter the gibberish that gets attached by Tapatalk.
Not picking on you, Naughty. But that is the reason we tell our members: post ONLY the last name. Our contest staff do their best, but they need to still do a lot of manual quality control.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:54 am

Cheers
Not coming down on you, but to explain.
Our parser picks your posts in two fashions:
1. Your LAST post of the topic as long as it is
2. Less than 100 characters long.

You posted a last comment that was complimentary of Megan's job, but it was less than 100 characters long. So, your Mertens post was lost in the parsing.
Why 100 characters? Because some of our members post via Tapatalk, and those posts come with a tag (posted from my phone via Tapatalk) that makes them about 80-90 characters long. So, we still need to pick those posts and THEN filter the gibberish that gets attached by Tapatalk.
Not picking on you, Naughty. But that is the reason we tell our members: post ONLY the last name. Our contest staff do their best, but they need to still do a lot of manual quality control.

ummm ... sorry but that is what I did. .. anyway as I said no big deal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We agree. No big deal, your pick has been recorded.
But ;)
Your LAST post IN THAT TOPIC was your post complementing Megan. As it was less than 100 characters, that was what was recorded. The post with your pick was before that.
I wrote the code for the parser so that, if a player changed her mind, and posted a new pick, that post would be the one selected by the parser would be the last one. That makes it easier for the contest staff.
Anyway, rejoice! You are in the updated topic. Hell of a job :thumbsup:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:33 pm We agree. No big deal, your pick has been recorded.
But ;)
Your LAST post IN THAT TOPIC was your post complementing Megan. As it was less than 100 characters, that was what was recorded. The post with your pick was before that.
I wrote the code for the parser so that, if a player changed her mind, and posted a new pick, that post would be the one selected by the parser would be the last one. That makes it easier for the contest staff.

aaaaaaah now I get it. Sorry old and blonde. A fatal combination.

Post by meganfernandez »

naughtyT wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:02 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:33 pm We agree. No big deal, your pick has been recorded.
But ;)

aaaaaaah now I get it. Sorry old and blonde. A fatal combination.
:) I caught it, though, so no worries! I appreciated the kind words.