T. Fritz (USA) 11 v R. Nadal (ESP) 2

NO.1 COURT 1:00PM

LADIES' SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
A. Tomljanovic (AUS) v E. Rybakina (KAZ) 17
GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
C. Garin (CHI) v N. Kyrgios (AUS)

NO.2 COURT 11:00AM

GENTLEMEN'S DOUBLES - QUARTER-FINALS
R. Ram (USA) 1/J. Salisbury (GBR) 1 v N. Mahut (FRA) 12/E. Roger-Vasselin (FRA) 12
NOT BEFORE: 1:00PM
LADIES' DOUBLES - QUARTER-FINALS
D. Collins (USA)/D. Krawczyk (USA) v A. Rosolska (POL) 11/E. Routliffe (NZL) 11

INVITATION MIXED DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
G. Rusedski (GBR)/A. Keothavong (GBR) v M. Woodforde (AUS)/I. Majoli (CRO)

MIXED DOUBLES - SEMI-FINALS
M. Pavic (CRO) 6/S. Mirza (IND) 6 v N. Skupski (GBR) 2/D. Krawczyk (USA) 2

NO.3 COURT 11:00AM

GENTLEMEN'S DOUBLES - QUARTER-FINALS
M. Ebden (AUS) 14/M. Purcell (AUS) 14 v J. Peers (AUS) 7/F. Polasek (SVK) 7
NOT BEFORE: 1:00PM
LADIES' DOUBLES - QUARTER-FINALS
E. Mertens (BEL) 1/S. Zhang (CHN) 1 v A. Guarachi (CHI) 7/A. Klepac (SLO) 7
MIXED DOUBLES - SEMI-FINALS
M. Ebden (AUS)/S. Stosur (AUS) v J. Sock (USA)/C. Gauff (USA)

COURT 12 11:00AM

GIRLS' SINGLES - THIRD ROUND
H. Kinoshita (JPN) v J. Conway (GBR)
BOYS' SINGLES - THIRD ROUND
S. Gorzny (USA) v M. Poljicak (CRO) 3

GENTLEMEN'S INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
F. Gonzalez (CHI)/S. Grosjean (FRA) v J. Melzer (AUT)/G. Muller (LUX)

COURT 18 12:00PM

I. Kruger (RSA) v M. Xu (GBR)

LADIES' INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
D. Hantuchova (SVK)/L. Robson (GBR) v F. Pennetta (ITA)/F. Schiavone (ITA)

BOYS' DOUBLES - SECOND ROUND
C. Wong (HKG)/M. Zheng (USA) v L. Pow (GBR)/H. Searle (GBR)

COURT 4 11:00AM

E. Butvilas (LTU) 8 v K. Ivanovski (MKD)
B. Artnak (SLO) 14 v P. Rodenas (ESP)
GIRLS' DOUBLES - SECOND ROUND
S. Ishii (JPN)/L. Tararudee (THA) v A. Xu (CAN)/N. Xu (CAN)
M. Landaluce (ESP) 7/P. Rodenas (ESP) 7 v A. Basile (BEL)/P. Privara (SVK)

COURT 5 11:00AM

L. Tien (USA) v M. Pawelski (POL) 15
O. Lincer (POL) v V. Mboko (CAN) 5
C. Fontenel (SUI)/J. Svendsen (DEN) v K. Tomajkova (CZE) 8/N. Vargova (SVK) 8
N. Bartunkova (CZE) 1/C. Naef (SUI) 1 v R. Jamrichova (SVK)/O. Lincer (POL)

COURT 7 11:00AM

L. Udvardy (HUN) 7 v A. Xu (CAN) 10
A. Kim (USA) v M. Zheng (USA)
H. Klugman (GBR)/H. Oluwadare (GBR) v S. Macavei (USA)/J. Struplova (CZE)
A. Kim (USA)/C. Williams (USA) v G. Bailly (BEL) 4/J. Nicod (CZE) 4

COURT 8 11:00AM

C. Wong (HKG) v P. Privara (SVK)
L. Hovde (USA) 1 v K. Cross (CAN) 13
J. Loutit (NZL)/E. Winter (AUS) v J. Fonseca (BRA)/J. Prado Angelo (BOL)
K. Cross (CAN) 4/V. Mboko (CAN) 4 v E. Seidel (GER)/J. Steur (GER)

COURT 14 11:00AM

L. Klimovicova (CZE) 16 v C. Naef (SUI) 2
M. Landaluce (ESP) 10 v G. Bailly (BEL) 7
L. Klimovicova (CZE)/D. Salkova (CZE) v L. Peyre (ARG)/M. Slama (USA)
E. Butvilas (LTU) 1/M. Poljicak (CRO) 1 v O. Colak (USA)/L. Tien (USA)

COURT 15 11:00AM

K. Feldbausch (SUI) 6 v A. Blockx (BEL)
R. Nijkamp (NED) v N. Bartunkova (CZE) 3
D. Dietrich (SUI)/K. Feldbausch (SUI) v J. Mensik (CZE) 6/O. Pieczkowski (POL) 6
B. Artnak (SLO) 8/H. Barton (CZE) 8 v S. Gorzny (USA)/A. Michelsen (USA)

COURT 17 11:00AM

E. Seidel (GER) v Y. Li (TPE)
M. Brunold (SUI)/N. Godsick (USA) v G. Debru (FRA) 5/P. Inchauspe (FRA) 5
Y. Li (TPE)/S. Saito (JPN) v L. Ciric Bagaric (CRO) 3/N. Daubnerova (SVK) 3
R. Nijkamp (NED)/A. Okutoyi (KEN) v D. Glushkova (BUL)/H. Kinoshita (JPN)

TO BE ARRANGED 1
NOT BEFORE: 4:00PM

INVITATION MIXED DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
T. Enqvist (SWE)/R.P. Stubbs (AUS) v T. Johansson (SWE)/MJ Fernandez (USA)
NOT BEFORE: 5:00PM
LADIES' INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
A-L. Groenefeld (GER)/K. Sprem (CRO) v K. Clijsters (BEL)/M. Hingis (SUI)
NOT BEFORE: 5:00PM
GENTLEMEN'S INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
M. Baghdatis (CYP)/X. Malisse (BEL) v T. Haas (GER)/M. Philippoussis (AUS)

by Cuckoo4Coco This day presents 4 great matches. The two Americans left in the draw play on this day.

Here are my predictions:

Men's
Kyrgios over Garin (pains me to say that)
Nadal over Fritz

Women's
Rybakina over Tomljanovic
Anisimova over Halep( more of a hope pick)

by ponchi101 I will go with your picks, and I don't hope Amanda will beat Halep, I think she has a very good chance.

by jazzyg I like Kyrgios and Fritz and Halep and Rybakina.

Of course Halep could turn in a clunker, but she just beat Anisimova 6-1, 6-2 12 days ago. If she serves well and stays focused, she should be able to run Anisimova ragged, and Anisimova does not hit well on the run. The entire match is Halep's serve vs. Anisimova's return of serve.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:24 pm I will go with your picks, and I don't hope Amanda will beat Halep, I think she has a very good chance.
I really hope you are right. Amanda really needs to cut down on the errors to have a chance in the match. Halep is the type of player that can make her opponent make as many shots as possible and wait for the errors to happen. This is the way I play tennis maybe not as much as Simona as I will also take my chances from the baseline but most of the time I run my opponent all over the court and wait for them to make an error. I am afraid that is what Simona is going to do to Amanda. If Amanda is on and is hitting winners right and left she wins this match. If she is off and is making errors right and left she can easily get blown off the court.

I also hope Fritz wins I really do, but that really probably means that Kyrgios will make it to the final.

by meganfernandez
jazzyg wrote:I like Kyrgios and Fritz and Halep and Rybakina.

Of course Halep could turn in a clunker, but she just beat Anisimova 6-1, 6-2 12 days ago. If she serves well and stays focused, she should be able to run Anisimova ragged, and Anisimova does not hit well on the run. The entire match is Halep's serve vs. Anisimova's return of serve.
Same but Nadal over Fritz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:33 pm I like Kyrgios and Fritz and Halep and Rybakina.

I didn't know that stat. Change my impression to: "I hope Amanda can keep three ball inside the court, 5 times per set".
Yes, that does not bode well.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:36 pm ...

I also hope Fritz wins I really do, but that really probably means that Kyrgios will make it to the final.
Kyrgios WILL make it to the final. Garin simply does not have the grass chops to stop him, and Nadal will not be able to handle Kyrgios' serve with his return position.
In the final, Novak will have a good chance because he stands closer to the baseline and once the point starts, he will be able to frustrate Kyrgios with three or four lunging saves. We are getting to the point in which Darth Vader will be our last and only hope.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:16 pm

Kyrgios WILL make it to the final. Garin simply does not have the grass chops to stop him, and Nadal will not be able to handle Kyrgios' serve with his return position.
In the final, Novak will have a good chance because he stands closer to the baseline and once the point starts, he will be able to frustrate Kyrgios with three or four lunging saves. We are getting to the point in which Darth Vader will be our last and only hope.
I am not much of a fan of Novak, but he is a great champion and I cannot deny that. If it comes down to him or Nick, I will surely be cheering him on to another Grand Slam victory.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:

If you know what Rafa’s problem is vs Nick, then he knows, so why wouldn’t he adjust his return position? Rafa is 6-3 vs Nick, including last 3 meetings, one of which was Wimbledon 2019. And Indian Wells this year.

Nick would have to make a high percentage of first serves to keep it close. I’m sticking with Rafa, if the match happens.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 pm
ponchi101 wrote:

If you know what Rafa’s problem is vs Nick, then he knows, so why wouldn’t he adjust his return position? Nick will still have to make a high percentage of first serves. I’m sticking with Rafa, if the match happens.
I'm with you Megan. I am sticking with Rafa. He always seems to figure out how to get the job done in the end. I actually think he is going to win the whole thing.

by ponchi101 Kyrgios is playing different this year. He seems to really want it.
To me, adjusting a return position, especially if it involves FORWARD, is one of the hardest things to do. The reaction time shrinks too quickly, you have to grow with that inside you. And no one in his entourage played that way: Moya also returned from a relative far back position.
Rafa, indeed, is very good at solving problems. But, for example, he has not been able to solve Novak, outside of a clay court, for years now. He can solve Medvedev, he can solve Zverev, he can certainly solve everybody else. Right now, I would love for him to win it all, and I so hope I will be totally wrong. But the sets Kyrgios has lost have been lapses in concentration; he certainly will have one against Rafa, but he will focus in a fifth set (as ridiculous as that sounds).
We also have to look out for that shoulder. If it becomes a physical match, then Rafa can pound him down slowly.

by Cuckoo4Coco The one thing that Rafa I think has a clear advantage over Nick is in the mental game. If Rafa starts to figure out how to handle certain things that gives an advantage to him this could quickly unravel Nick and he could completely fall apart.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:Kyrgios is playing different this year. He seems to really want it.
To me, adjusting a return position, especially if it involves FORWARD, is one of the hardest things to do. The reaction time shrinks too quickly, you have to grow with that inside you. And no one in his entourage played that way: Moya also returned from a relative far back position.
Rafa, indeed, is very good at solving problems. But, for example, he has not been able to solve Novak, outside of a clay court, for years now. He can solve Medvedev, he can solve Zverev, he can certainly solve everybody else. Right now, I would love for him to win it all, and I so hope I will be totally wrong. But the sets Kyrgios has lost have been lapses in concentration; he certainly will have one against Rafa, but he will focus in a fifth set (as ridiculous as that sounds).
We also have to look out for that shoulder. If it becomes a physical match, then Rafa can pound him down slowly.
Good points. Has Rafa never returned from closer in? It will be physical, for sure.

by ponchi101 There are two things he has changed a lot during his career: his service GRIP, and his return position. On his serve, he has gone from an Eastern BH grip, all the way to a regular continental and back. He has changed his return position from medium back, to almost on top of the baseline, to his current "see me in the parking lot" stance.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 pm The one thing that Rafa I think has a clear advantage over Nick is in the mental game. If Rafa starts to figure out how to handle certain things that gives an advantage to him this could quickly unravel Nick and he could completely fall apart.
Well, yes. But a deranged chimpanzee after a lobotomy has a mental edge over Kyrgios. He can go from shouting to Brandon Nakashima "You are done!" to tanking an entire match at the flap of a butterfly. Rafa would have to start dominating on Nick's service games repeatedly to have Kyrgios falling there.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:48 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 pm The one thing that Rafa I think has a clear advantage over Nick is in the mental game. If Rafa starts to figure out how to handle certain things that gives an advantage to him this could quickly unravel Nick and he could completely fall apart.
Well, yes. But a deranged chimpanzee after a lobotomy has a mental edge over Kyrgios. He can go from shouting to Brandon Nakashima "You are done!" to tanking an entire match at the flap of a butterfly. Rafa would have to start dominating on Nick's service games repeatedly to have Kyrgios falling there.
That is definitely the key. Rafa knows the lethal serve that Nick has so I know he is going to prepare for that.

The funny thing is we are all talking about the Nick and Rafa match and watch tomorrow when Garin and Fritz upset them both. :lol:

by ashkor87 Fritz has a 20 to 30 % chance of beating Nadal ..he did beat him at IW...and he appears to be playing well ...but Fritz seems a bit slow, that didn't hurt him much on a slow court like IW but it will, here..

Am hoping this is Rybakina's breakthrough year..I always loved her game, this year she seems to be delivering..she has a 20% chance of winning the whole thing, she is a better player than anyone here except Halep.

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm
ponchi101 wrote:
If you know what Rafa’s problem is vs Nick, then he knows, so why wouldn’t he adjust his return position? Nick will still have to make a high percentage of first serves. I’m sticking with Rafa, if the match happens.
I'm with you Megan. I am sticking with Rafa. He always seems to figure out how to get the job done in the end. I actually think he is going to win the whole thing.
^ I agree.
It's hard to go against Nadal after the guts and determination he has shown over the years. Like Djokovic, Nadal simply does not see losing as an option - and that's what sets them apart from the rest of the players.

While 'mental strength' is impossible to quantify or measure precisely, it is the most important element at this level.

As for Kyrgios... yes, it seems that he is committed this time around... But how many times have we thought the same thing about him - "Oh, he has matured, and he is showing that he's more committed now", only to see him falter badly in his next match because he can't handle the pressure?

I think it's about the time now that Kyrgios panics and crumples, like he has so often done. The pressure of the quarterfinals or semi-finals of a Major - even if it's an Asterisk Major - will probably spook him enough to be terrified of failing, and the result will be that he'll play even more nervously than usual, and self-destruct again.
Plus the weight of the recent allegations against him will have a negative effect on his tennis, as well, I imagine.

by mick1303
Deuce wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:02 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm
^ I agree.
It's hard to go against Nadal after the guts and determination he has shown over the years. Like Djokovic, Nadal simply does not see losing as an option - and that's what sets them apart from the rest of the players.

While 'mental strength' is impossible to quantify or measure precisely, it is the most important element at this level.

As for Kyrgios... yes, it seems that he is committed this time around... But how many times have we thought the same thing about him - "Oh, he has matured, and he is showing that he's more committed now", only to see him falter badly in his next match because he can't handle the pressure?

I think it's about the time now that Kyrgios panics and crumples, like he has so often done. The pressure of the quarterfinals or semi-finals of a Major - even if it's an Asterisk Major - will probably spook him enough to be terrified of failing, and the result will be that he'll play even more nervously than usual, and self-destruct again.
Plus the weight of the recent allegations against him will have a negative effect on his tennis, as well, I imagine.
I would've agree that occasion could get to Kyrgios, except Nadal is a wrong opponent for this to happen. If there is a player on tour, who Kyrgios craves to beat, it is Nadal. Nadal's past remarks about Kyrgios were maybe fair and all, but in the psychotic mind of Kyrgios, Nadal is a part of "them", the establishment, that he fights in his own mind. The fact that it is in the semis changes nothing, IMO.

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote:
Deuce wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:02 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm I'm with you Megan. I am sticking with Rafa. He always seems to figure out how to get the job done in the end. I actually think he is going to win the whole thing.
^ I agree.

I would've agree that occasion could get to Kyrgios, except Nadal is a wrong opponent for this to happen. If there is a player on tour, who Kyrgios craves to beat, it is Nadal. Nadal's past remarks about Kyrgios were maybe fair and all, but in the psychotic mind of Kyrgios, Nadal is a part of "them", the establishment, that he fights in his own mind. The fact that it is in the semis changes nothing, IMO.
I agree with everything everyone has said… and I won’t be surprised by either outcome. But I still give Rafa the edge. Yes, Nick lives for these marquee matchups. But Rafa has won the last 3 and is a different class of competitor. He will know exactly what to do.

Of course, he has to get by Fritz first.

by Cuckoo4Coco And Nick has to get past Garin.

It is gonna be a great match, but I agree that Nadal will do everything to get the job done in the end and win a tight one.

by Cuckoo4Coco Tomljanovic wins the 1st set 6-4.

Amanda down a break in the first set.

by ponchi101
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:09 pm ...

Hadn't thought about that. Yes, it sounds right.
Fritz beat Nadal at IW, with Nadal having a cracked ribs. The second set still went to 7-6. Nobody that reaches a slam QF is a gimme, but I just don't see upsets in either one of those matches. Having said that, technically Kyrgios would be the upset; Garin is the higher ranked player in that match.

by ponchi101 Amanda having tons of problems in her match. Seems like that 1 & 2 of a couple of weeks ago was not a fluke, it was a pattern.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:10 pm
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:09 pm ...

Hadn't thought about that. Yes, it sounds right.
Fritz beat Nadal at IW, with Nadal having a cracked ribs. The second set still went to 7-6. Nobody that reaches a slam QF is a gimme, but I just don't see upsets in either one of those matches. Having said that, technically Kyrgios would be the upset; Garin is the higher ranked player in that match.
Nothing really would surprise me in the tournament. The men's side has been a little more stable then the women's side, but still have had it's share of upsets. I doubt these two will be part of them, but you never know.

As for the matches now Halep is forces Amanda to make mistakes and it is showing on the scoreboard. I hope Amanda can turn things around in the 2nd set or she will be out quickly.

The Tomljanovic/Rybakina match looks like it is a great one.

by ponchi101 I am flipping between both matches. Ajla/Elena is not great, but better than Amanda/Simona. At least, it is close.

by Cuckoo4Coco Amanda is not going away easily. Gets one break back in the 2nd set.

That is what I meant. At least the match is a contest. I am also not watching the Tomljanovic/Rybakina match. I am just scoreboard watching it.

by jazzyg Halep also beat Anisimova 6-1, 6-0 at Roland Garros in 2020.

All that said, if she had not come back from 0-40 in that last game, I'm not sure she would have won today. Thankfully I won't have to worry about it now.

by ponchi101 Amanda had three BP, to even the match. 3 UE in a row, 1 W from Halep, 1 more UE from Amanda.
At IW she had three MP against Leylah. She hit 5 consecutive UE's to lose the game, then the set, then retired. Lovely game, all the power in the world, some issues understanding the game.

by Suliso I'll be really surprised now if we don't end up with Halep vs Jabeur final.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:42 pm Amanda had three BP, to even the match. 3 UE in a row, 1 W from Halep, 1 more UE from Amanda.
At IW she had three MP against Leylah. She hit 5 consecutive UE's to lose the game, then the set, then retired. Lovely game, all the power in the world, some issues understanding the game.
Amanda had her chances to even up that set. Simona was definitely nervous in the end of that 3rd set and her first serve was having trouble. I now think Simona is the one to beat.

by ponchi101 You have three BP's. At least, play one in which you just send everything back. At least one. Make the other player earn the point with her hitting the winner.
The other two, sure. Play to win. But make the other player earn at least one.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:43 pm I'll be really surprised now if we don't end up with Halep vs Jabeur final.
Maybe, maybe, maybe Rybakina with her serve. But here we go again. She is serving for the match, and falls 0-40.
I mean, I can understand. I would do the same (and most likely, with three doubles). But there is the reason they are in London right now, and I only have been there on vacation.

by Cuckoo4Coco Rybakina moves on to play Counter Puncher Simona Halep. That is gonna be a really good match I think. Still give the advantage to Simona, but it will be a good one.

by meganfernandez I know I've said this before, but Rybakina was on a roll in early 2020 before the shutdown. She was one of the hottest players on tour. I always felt Covid hurt her more than a lot of people in terms of momentum. Nice to see her get a great result like this.

Welp, no Ajla/Nick reunion at the Champions Ball.

by jazzyg I only saw the beginning and the end of the Rybakina match, but that was a carbon copy of the Tomljanovic-Halep matches I've seen in the past. On three occasions, Tomljanovic looked like the better player for about a set-and-a-half but could not maintain that high level.

Halep-Rybakina will be a virtual toss-up, but Halep is really good at exploiting players who do not move well on grass. If Rybakina has an average serving day, I like Halep to win, but it will be a battle.

by Cuckoo4Coco I think Jabeur has a much easier time in her match than either Halep or Rybakina do. Also they are playing on back to back days, but at least Simona's match didn't go the distance.

by ponchi101 Will there be certain irony if Rybakina, born in Moscow, grew up in Moscow, trained in Moscow (Dynamo and Sparta clubs) and who, except for her passport, is in all senses Russian, wins this thing?

by ashkor87 ..I just love Rybakina but Halep will be able to exploit her lack of movement...great that she got this far, good portent..!

by ponchi101 Ok. And no sooner had I talked about Rafa's "from the parking lot" return of serve position, today he is noticeably closer to the baseline than as early as yesterday.

by jazzyg One set down.

by Cuckoo4Coco One set down for Rafa and on serve for Nick and Garin. Also Garin has already broken Nick's serve so it is not impossible. Not gonna be able to watch the rest of these matches unless they go for several more hours which could be possible as I am about to hit the courts myself for practice and hopefully take a little of what Simona had today with me. ;)

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:49 pm One set down for Rafa and on serve for Nick and Garin. Also Garin has already broken Nick's serve so it is not impossible. Not gonna be able to watch the rest of these matches unless they go for several more hours which could be possible as I am about to hit the courts myself for practice and hopefully take a little of what Simona had today with me. ;)
Love that she is inspiring you. She inspired me after she gave a monstrous effort at the Australian in 2018, even though she lost the final (played so hard she ended up in the hospital with dehydration). A few days after the final, I was struggling with something at work and literally thought, "If Simona can play her guts out for several matches, I can push harder on this" and it helped, Have a great practice!

by ponchi101 Solid play from Fritz, but Rafa is serving like :poop:

by ashkor87 Nadal's foot bothering him..I think he will quit

by ponchi101 Not his foot. Seems to be something in his abdomen.
Warning for Rafa: playing Taylor Fritz is hazardous to your health. This is sad.

by ashkor87 Not his foot though, seems to be his abdomen

by texasniteowl
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:24 pm Not his foot though, seems to be his abdomen
interesting. he's had kinesio tape on it all tournament but he hadn't been showing any signs of problems...until today.

by ashkor87 His box wants him to stop..especially his dad

by ponchi101 Assuming, and it is a big assuming, that Rafa wins this match, that abs injury will really start to hurt when he cools down.
For us that were (wrongfully) under the impression that retirements were on the rise, the fact that he won't is refreshing.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:31 pm Assuming, and it is a big assuming, that Rafa wins this match, that abs injury will really start to hurt when he cools down.
For us that were (wrongfully) under the impression that retirements were on the rise, the fact that he won't is refreshing.
Not looking good for Nadal. I think Fritz will win this fourth set and the match.

by JTContinental I don’t it refreshing to watch someone play injured. Rafa is one of the worst on tour for playing when he shouldn’t, which I think has factored much more into his career than the others in the big 3

by ponchi101 He allowed Stan to win his match fair and square, as opposed to with a RET on the side.
I remember when Edberg retired against Lendl at the Aussie open. He felt really bad precisely because he had not been able to play the full match, and denied Lendl of a "proper" win (that concept I would agree with you is sort of passé).
Remember, I am becoming too old for this, and am starting to say things such as "in my days", "when I was young", "I remember when..." (oops, I did just that ;) ). I would like to believe that finishing a match is important.

by Suliso Nadal will likely find a way to win because it's only Fritz, but it doesn't look promising vs Kyrgios not at 100%.

by JTContinental ?????

I agree Rafa will pull this out, but Fritz is a way better player than Kyrgios

by ponchi101 Fritz is not a mental dwarf. At least, I don't think he has that reputation.
One more set with that pain... I guess I hope you are right this time (@Suliso)

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 pm ?????

Even during this tournament, you think Fritz is playing better thank Kyrgios?

by Suliso
JTContinental wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 pm I agree Rafa will pull this out, but Fritz is a way better player than Kyrgios
Not if you look at their respective A+ games and I think that's what matters in this case.

by JTContinental
Suliso wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:14 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 pm I agree Rafa will pull this out, but Fritz is a way better player than Kyrgios
Not if you look at their respective A+ games and I think that's what matters in this case.

Hmmm, we’ll have to agree to disagree there. Kyrgios has played longer, but Fritz has performed better in a shorter amount of time.

by JTContinental
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 pm ?????

Even during this tournament, you think Fritz is playing better thank Kyrgios?
Today is the first day he’s lost a set

by mick1303 If I remember correctly, at some point in his career Kyrgios had even or positive head-to-head against each of big 3. His high is quite a bit higher than that of Fritz. His low on the other hand....

by ponchi101 That's the thing. His low is certainly subterranean, but he has not displayed it here. So: is he due? Or has he learned to control that for two weeks?

by JTContinental
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:35 pm If I remember correctly, at some point in his career Kyrgios had even or positive head-to-head against each of big 3. His high is quite a bit higher than that of Fritz. His low on the other hand....
Agree 5 years ago, Kyrgios was a better player than Fritz but not in 2022

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:54 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:49 pm One set down for Rafa and on serve for Nick and Garin. Also Garin has already broken Nick's serve so it is not impossible. Not gonna be able to watch the rest of these matches unless they go for several more hours which could be possible as I am about to hit the courts myself for practice and hopefully take a little of what Simona had today with me. ;)
Love that she is inspiring you. She inspired me after she gave a monstrous effort at the Australian in 2018, even though she lost the final (played so hard she ended up in the hospital with dehydration). A few days after the final, I was struggling with something at work and literally thought, "If Simona can play her guts out for several matches, I can push harder on this" and it helped, Have a great practice!
I watch Simona play and because she is small in stature like me and plays a similar style as me I try to follow what she does a lot. She also is one of those players that just gives 120% all the time and I try and do that all the time. Coco is my inspiration because she is around my age and she has accomplished so much, but Simona is really the player that I'd love to be like.

by Suliso If Fritz is as good as you say he ought to beat an injured Nadal today.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am just catching the tail end of this Nadal & Fritz match and I see Nadal is injured. Nadal is a different type of species. I don't know what it is he does to play through the pain he is in, but he does it.

by meganfernandez
JTContinental wrote:
mick1303 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:35 pm If I remember correctly, at some point in his career Kyrgios had even or positive head-to-head against each of big 3. His high is quite a bit higher than that of Fritz. His low on the other hand....
Agree 5 years ago, Kyrgios was a better player than Fritz but not in 2022
And the H2H was like 1-0 or 2-1 in some cases. Not big. Rafa is 6-3 vs Nick and has won the last 3 meetings.

by Suliso Yes, but I think the argument here is that Nick is a more dangerous opponent than Fritz not that he's better than Nadal. The latter is obviously not true.

by ponchi101 Captain Obvious says that this has become a very good match (with the added drama as a plus).

by JTContinental
Suliso wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:50 pm If Fritz is as good as you say he ought to beat an injured Nadal today.
Maybe, but I only said he’s better than Nick Kyrgios, not a future #1 or anything. FWIW, I don’t think Kyrgios will beat an injured Nadal, either

by Cuckoo4Coco But.... Will it be Nadal that Nick plays?

Fritz is falling apart.

by dryrunguy I keep catching myself rooting for Taylor. Just because Rafa can handle an injury, and he can handle Nick's crap, but I'm not sure he can handle both at the same time.

Plus, I can imagine Taylor throwing a pretty juicy punch down Nick's throat if push comes to shove. And I have no idea why I think that.

by JTContinental Michael Russell to Carrot Top conversion: 50% complete

by ponchi101 Now let's see what his doctor can do. If he can mend bones, a torn muscle must be solely a special band-aid and a kiss on that booboo.

by Cuckoo4Coco Great tournament for Taylor Fritz and the last standing American is gone.

Now I can officially say Rafa will beat Kyrgios.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm Great tournament for Taylor Fritz and the last standing American is gone.

What a heartbreaker for Fritz. Played a lousy tiebreak. I really though he was going to win when he went from 2-4 down in the fifth to 5-4 up. Rafa said in his interview that he hopes he can be ready to play the semi, first of all. My guess is he will. Hope he can handle Nick's serve.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:44 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm Great tournament for Taylor Fritz and the last standing American is gone.

What a heartbreaker for Fritz. Played a lousy tiebreak. I really though he was going to win when he went from 2-4 down in the fifth to 5-4 up. Rafa said in his interview that he hopes he can be ready to play the semi, first of all. My guess is he will. Hope he can handle Nick's serve.
Taylor Fritz also has a pretty nice serve, but not as big as Nick's. I do think Rafa will be ready and I think the match will be hard fought, but he will win the mental battle and win the match.

by nelslus OMG, you Rafa fans. Year after year after year of this.

Is Rafa injured? Of course. However....this was a match of an alumni of the Cornet School of Ouchy Melodrama vs. an alumni of the Isner School of No Returns and Missed Big Point First Serves.

Rafa wins? Wow. How shocking. WHO could have seen THAT happening?!?! :o

YES, somehow, Rafa first found the one Magic Doctor in the world who knew how to Magically remove all of those impolite feet nerves. So, certainly, Uncle Toni and Papa Nadal will now scour the world until they found the one Magic Doctor who will caress Rafa's abdomen until, poof, it falls out, and No More Pain.

THEN, get ready for the following excitement to come in the SF: "It's Rafa up match point in the first set tiebreaker, 387-386, when....OMG, all of Rafa's extremities have fallen out, his intestines have oozed out of this orifices, blood is covering the center court. Certainly Pirate Pants will have to default now. But....wait just a minute.....Are we really seeing this? Why, suddenly, Rafa's brain has popped out of his now shrunken skull, furiously grabs his racquet...serves and volleys and....IT'S A MIRACLE! RAFA NADAL IS INTO THE WIMBLEDON FINAL!!!!!!!!"

(After which, Rafa's Heroic Brain gets a headache and is forced to retire pre-final, giving Novax the Wimbledon final win. Rafa's Heroic Brain finally decides to retire so he can spend time with his children (let's not think too hard about how THAT happened....) Restrictions are then lifted, and Novax wins the US Open, all Grand Slams in 2023 and 2024, and is anointed GOAT. The Inevitable End.) :gorgeous:

by nelslus Alternate post: YES, at least currently, Rafa is, indeed, the GOAT. PFFFFFFTTTTT. :)

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:07 pm OMG, you Rafa fans. Year after year after year of this.

Is Rafa injured? Of course. However....this was a match of an alumni of the Cornet School of Ouchy Melodrama vs. an alumni of the Isner School of No Returns and Missed Big Point First Serves.

Rafa wins? Wow. How shocking. WHO could have seen THAT happening?!?! :o

YES, somehow, Rafa found the one Magic Doctor in the world who knew how to Magically remove all of those impolite feet nerves. So, certainly, Uncle Toni and Papa Nadal will scour the world until they found the one Magic Doctor who will caress Rafa's abdomen until, poof, it falls out, and No More Pain.

THEN, get ready for the following excitement to come in the SF: "It's Rafa up match point in the first set tiebreaker, 387-386, when....OMG, all of Rafa's extremities have fallen out, his intestines have oozed out of this orifices, blood is covering the center court. Certainly Pirate Pants will have to default now. But....wait just a minute.....Are we really seeing this? Why, suddenly, Rafa's brain has popped out of his now shrunken skull, furiously grabs his racquet...serves and volleys and....IT'S A MIRACLE! RAFA NADAL IS INTO THE WIMBLEDON FINAL!!!!!!!!"

(After which, Rafa's Heroic Brain gets a headache and is forced to retire pre-final, giving Novax the Wimbledon final win. Rafa's Heroic Brain finally decides to retire so he can spend time with his children (let's not think too hard about how THAT happened....) Restrictions are then lifted, and Novax wins the US Open, all Grand Slams in 2023 and 2024, and is anointed GOAT. The Inevitable End.) :gorgeous:
Bravo! Rafa is your muse!

I agree with the larger point, but Fritz really did sorta blow this with a lousy tiebreak. I think it was on his racket by one extra string.

by ponchi101 I love it when these players that fake injuries take it to the extreme that they drop their serves from 120MPH to 95-100MPH. Talk about a commitment to your craft! :)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 pm I love it when these players that fake injuries take it to the extreme that they drop their serves from 120MPH to 95-100MPH. Talk about a commitment to your craft! :)
I don't think Rafa was faking it, and I'm not sure Nelslus is saying that, either. Maybe, I don't know. To me, the point is that Rafa comes through these injuries time and time again, so let's not act so amazed. That kind of thing.

I truly did think Fritz was going to win, but just by a hair. I don't think Rafa did anything special to beat him down the stretch, other than putting pressure on Fritz in all the right ways. Fritz got tight.

by ponchi101 I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm, and I felt that, you know, Fire Vs Fire...
I am so lousy with emoji's. Really. About to be the poster boy for a new medical condition: emoji-challenged :cry:

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:13 pmI don't think Rafa was faking it, and I'm not sure Nelslus is saying that, either. Maybe, I don't know. To me, the point is that Rafa comes through these injuries time and time again, so let's not act so amazed. That kind of thing.

I truly did think Fritz was going to win, but just by a hair. I don't think Rafa did anything special to beat him down the stretch, other than putting pressure on Fritz in all the right ways. Fritz got tight.
*Absolutely, NO one, including myself, was intimating that Rafa was faking anything. Just that, he can be, IMO, melodramatic about all his injury/health stuff. I mean, anyone who plays tennis deals with pain issues. Every player, and most especially Roger, Rafa and Novax have their sh*t. (Frankly, I now wish Roger had been more a drama queen.) I think that Rafa is majorly motivated by "miraculously" winning these matches- injured! match points down!- he still wins!! (I view Serena as the same kind of drama queen.)

I mean, regardless of whether I'm right or wrong (spoiler alert: I'm right here. :gorgeous: )- Who cares? Clearly, "Whatever it Takes" has worked extremely well for the inhuman insanely talented Rafa, Novax and Roger.

*You're not wrong about Fritz either, of course. But, my view also sticks. First point of the tiebreaker, Fritz misses his first serve- I knew he was going to lose that point. Sets the tiebreaker up very badly, helps to relax Rafa. Fritz then missed most of his first serves in the tiebreaker- his only really big advantage vs. Rafa. Fritz had to hit Rafa off of the court, and/or find ways to get Rafa in very uncomfortable positions. Once any kind of regular rally is going on- no way Rafa is going to lose.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 pm I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm, and I felt that, you know, Fire Vs Fire...
I am so lousy with emoji's. Really. About to be the poster boy for a new medical condition: emoji-challenged :cry:
When in doubt: :gorgeous:

by ti-amie
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:01 pm I know I've said this before, but Rybakina was on a roll in early 2020 before the shutdown. She was one of the hottest players on tour. I always felt Covid hurt her more than a lot of people in terms of momentum. Nice to see her get a great result like this.

by ti-amie I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm too. I know he's not a big Rafa fan but in his own way he was giving the devil his due.

by Cuckoo4Coco I wasn't able to watch the majority of the match because I was at practice. What I did catch I saw two players that were giving it their all to attempt to make it to the semi final. I didn't see the extent of the abdominal injury for Nadal, but it is something that is a lingering injury for him and probably when he went back to get help for it he took some sort of medicine to try and get him through the pain which seemed to help and went on. Everyone knows he is not a quitter.

Taylor Fritz certainly gave it everything he had and had a horrible tie breaker in the 5th set unfortunately and a very hard fought 5 set match went to Rafa. The match could have easily gone the other way if Taylor would have made some shots in the tie breaker. Both players played a hard fought match and one just came out barely on top in the end.

I will be watching the full match later.

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 pm I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm, and I felt that, you know, Fire Vs Fire...
When in doubt: :gorgeous:
It has been a personal problem all my life. I simply deadpan my jokes. You would not believe the things that I have said, that then people believe I am saying seriously, simply because I did not even wink when I said it.
(Sample: going to a routine medical check-up, I said "most likely it is cancer; better, that way I can put an end to this farce!" I got home and this person had called my Girlfriend to ask about my imminent demise. I kid you not).
:cry:

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:36 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:01 pm I know I've said this before, but Rybakina was on a roll in early 2020 before the shutdown. She was one of the hottest players on tour. I always felt Covid hurt her more than a lot of people in terms of momentum. Nice to see her get a great result like this.

I am not really a B- word person , but if I was Alja and that was the first question and the questions from the journalists my response would have been if you have any questions about my tennis match I will gladly answer those. If not then this is over.

by jazzyg Rafa played a fantastic match in the fourth and fifth sets except for his obviously compromised serve. He was winning baseline rallies that Fritz would have won against anyone not named Djokovic. Fritz played well from start to finish and missed a few key shots that would have put him over the top--particularly when he had a real opportunity to take a two-sets-to-none lead, but it was hardly a case of Fritz's game disintegrating like Sinner's did yesterday

I do think Fritz would have beaten Kyrgios, but we'll never get to find out now. In this tournament, watching both of them play, Fritz has looked a little better to me. Kyrgios almost lost in the first round and went five sets in the fourth round against guys Fritz would have taken out in straights. Their match would have come down to a few key points, and I trust Fritz more in those situations than Kyrgios.

The Kyrgios-Rafa match will depend on how compromised Raft is on serve. I don't think he will get away with serving around 100 miles per hour on the first serve because there is no way he will break Kyrgios as many times as he did Fritz, but we know he will give everything he has and more to beat his least favorite player on tour. I guess I lean to Kyrgios, but I have no real feel for that outcome.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:04 pm ...

I am not really a B- word person , but if I was Alja and that was the first question and the questions from the journalists my response would have been if you have any questions about my tennis match I will gladly answer those. If not then this is over.
But aren't we, as a society, sending a mix message?
1. Domestic violence has to be talked about, and exposed. It affects too many people (mostly women). People that are violent to partners must be identified, and then punished accordingly.
But
2. A person that was the partner of another person accused of domestic violence is asked about such former partner. The person is offended, because THE PRESS is asking the "wrong" question. Why are they asking that question? Because, as a former partner of the accused, you may have something to say.
Imagine the following: Ajla, after asked the question, answers truthfully: (AGAIN, THIS DID NOT, NOT, NOT happen, it is just a hypothetical): "Yes, Nick has a violent temper towards his partners, and I experienced that". (DID NOT HAPPEN). Now the situation changes. The reporter has found an important set of information. Ajla, HAD THIS SCENARIO BEEN REAL, perhaps would finally find a venue and a time to talk about something that would be of importance.
I am not a journalist. But, I don't think that good, balanced, proper, pertinent investigative journalism happens when a box with all the info is delivered to your desk, notes annotated, verifiable evidence included. Investigative journalism involves asking a lot, and it must be a lot, of impertinent questions, most of which will lead nowhere. But the few that lead to proper news are important.
It is a job of percentages. And I wonder if the unfortunate stories of Jelena Dokic, Mary Pierce and Mirjana Lucic would have been told earlier if one impertinent reporter had asked them, flat out, "Is your father an abusive person?". In a room full of reporters, even if those women had lied, somebody would have noticed. Help, maybe, would have arrived sooner.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:43 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:04 pm ...

But aren't we, as a society, sending a mix message?
1. Domestic violence has to be talked about, and exposed. It affects too many people (mostly women). People that are violent to partners must be identified, and then punished accordingly.
But
2. A person that was the partner of another person accused of domestic violence is asked about such former partner. The person is offended, because THE PRESS is asking the "wrong" question. Why are they asking that question? Because, as a former partner of the accused, you may have something to say.
Imagine the following: Ajla, after asked the question, answers truthfully: (AGAIN, THIS DID NOT, NOT, NOT happen, it is just a hypothetical): "Yes, Nick has a violent temper towards his partners, and I experienced that". (DID NOT HAPPEN). Now the situation changes. The reporter has found an important set of information. Ajla, HAD THIS SCENARIO BEEN REAL, perhaps would finally find a venue and a time to talk about something that would be of importance.
I am not a journalist. But, I don't think that good, balanced, proper, pertinent investigative journalism happens when a box with all the info is delivered to your desk, notes annotated, verifiable evidence included. Investigative journalism involves asking a lot, and it must be a lot, of impertinent questions, most of which will lead nowhere. But the few that lead to proper news are important.
It is a job of percentages. And I wonder if the unfortunate stories of Jelena Dokic, Mary Pierce and Mirjana Lucic would have been told earlier if one impertinent reporter had asked them, flat out, "Is your father an abusive person?". In a room full of reporters, even if those women had lied, somebody would have noticed. Help, maybe, would have arrived sooner.
The thing is this is after a TENNIS MATCH and not some news event. These journalists are supposed to be there to ask questions about the tennis match that the player had just played and the upcoming match ahead. The players are not obligated to answer personal questions at all really and they shouldn't have to. If they want to talk about it that is all fine, but it is in their court to bring personal stuff out in the open.

by jazzyg I am a journalist, and I agree with Ponch on this one.

The way the question is worded and when it is asked are significant--that should not have been the first question because there is much less chance of it being answered then it it came after a few soft tennis questions--but tennis players completely insulate themselves from reporters. The ONLY chance to ask them that question is right after a match because they are not granting one-one-one interviews to anyone unless the questions are pre-screened or certain topics are forbidden. Players in professional team sports do not have this option without risking a fine because there are mandatory interview sessions where their presence is required.

The media is not there to be the player's friend. This is a similar debate I had with people on the old board when they took exception to Konta being asked about choking in a match when she clearly choked. Yes, that was tennis related and this wasn't, but players seem to expect that they only be asked positive questions. That's not supposed to the reporter's role. Tomljanovic is in a clear position to comment on Kyrgios considering their past relationship. If she does not want to answer, all she has to do is say no comment.

by Cuckoo4Coco
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:10 pm I am a journalist, and I agree with Ponch on this one.

The way the question is worded and when it is asked are significant--that should not have been the first question because there is much less chance of it being answered then it it came after a few soft tennis questions--but tennis players completely insulate themselves from reporters. The ONLY chance to ask them that question is right after a match because they are not granting one-one-one interviews to anyone unless the questions are pre-screened or certain topics are forbidden. Players in professional team sports do not have this option without risking a fine because there are mandatory interview sessions where their presence is required.

The media is not there to be the player's friend. This is a similar debate I had with people on the old board when they took exception to Konta being asked about choking in a match when she clearly choked. Yes, that was tennis related and this wasn't, but players seem to expect that they only be asked positive questions. That's not supposed to the reporter's role. Tomljanovic is in a clear position to comment on Kyrgios considering their past relationship. If she does not want to answer, all she has to do is say no comment.
You are correct in the timing of the question was not right and also players should not go into an interview expecting to receive only positive tennis related questions. I do believe that since they have just completed a tennis match and played that match for hours in some cases those should be the basis of the questions. I mean a player isn't expecting to go into a tennis interview and receive a question that is off the wall even if they were in a relationship with Nick Kyrgios. There were no allegations from her being assaulted so why ask her the question? I truly think it is a journalist just trying to stir up something and I don't think that is right.

True the journalist is not going into the interview to be the player's best friend, but why does the player have to be the journalist's best friend? If they get a question that is off the wall then they can do what they want with the question. They can dismiss it answer it, or end the interview completely if the question is completely out there.

by ponchi101 Last thing I will "add".
You mentioned Deshaun Watson earlier. One person brought forth the "issues" surrounding him. And, all of the sudden, the damn burst. It is a pattern with abusers; they do nor abuse ONE person, and never again. All recent abuse scandals have usually ended up with a line of women/abused people coming forward and saying "me too".
I AM NOT IN THE BELIEF THAT NICK DID ANYTHING. Yet. I want to see the evidence. But, one person has opened her mouth. It is the journalists role to find out which of the three possible truths is the one.

by ti-amie So what was Ajla to do? The question to me is in the category of "so when did you stop beating your wife?"

It was a tacky question and one asked to try and get her to dish on her personal life which she, despite her very public dating choices, is, in the end, no one's business.

Yes the reporter had every right to ask the question. And Ajla had every right to be ticked off about it. There was no way for her to answer that would not have led to follow up questions.

by Cuckoo4Coco I agree with ti-amie here. The reporters have every right to ask whatever question they want, but the players also have every right to deny giving any sort of answer to any questions they do not want to.

The reporters knew exactly what they were doing asking that question and that was stirring the pot around a personal situation that had absolutely nothing to do with tennis other than it involves a tennis player.

You let the court systems figure out this sort of stuff and the police investigators ask those questions if they have cause to do so. Not some sports journalist.

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:35 pm Not looking good for Nadal. I think Fritz will win this fourth set and the match.
^ And I thought you were the only person on this message board, other than myself, who NEVER doubted or gave up on Nadal; who realized that he has the extra gear when needed; the incredible level of drive and determination that he simply does not see losing as an option...!
But you gave up on him here.
Shame on you!

In case history somehow hasn't made it crystal clear by now:
The ONLY time to give up on the possibility of Nadal winning ANY match is AFTER HE HAS OFFICIALLY LOST THE MATCH.
Until that point, he has a strong chance to win.

As for Kyrgios... he is not only a much more physically talented player than Fritz, but Kyrgios has more natural physical ability for tennis than any other current player - including Federer.

Fritz couldn’t beat an injured Djokovic last year (Aussie Open 2021) - Fritz was up 2 sets to love vs. the injured Djokovic.
Similar scenario yesterday vs. an injured Nadal.
Granted, Nadal and Djokovic are the most mentally strong players on tour... But the bottom line is that Mr. Vanilla Fritz has no killer instinct at all.
And so, as I said after he blew that golden opportunity last year at the Aussie Open - no matter how physically good he may or may not be, he will never be a top 5 player.

by ti-amie

I'm putting this here as well. Until or unless he says something stupid I like this man Fritz. When he won the warm up right before Wimbledon he ga e a shout out to the mother of his son and his girlfriend.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:10 pm

I'm putting this here as well. Until or unless he says something stupid I like this man Fritz. When he won the warm up right before Wimbledon he ga e a shout out to the mother of his son and his girlfriend.
Seriously, you want to win and advance. You want to earn it. No gimmes.