An early look at the US Open

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: An early look at the US Open

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:09 pm On the tennis side of things at the US Open, I look for more of an open men's draw kind of like the women's draw this year with Novak out, Rafa and his Abs injury, Zverev out. That leaves the chances for one of these younger players to step up and jump into the spotlight and possibly knock off a Medvedev. Someone like A Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner or even an American in Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Brandon Nakashima or someone like that. Regardless who it might be, I think it is a lot more wide open and I think we are going to come out of this USO with a 1st time champion.
Bo-tic, Bo-tic, Bo-tic!

If Medvedev and Rafa aren't at their best, it's definitely going to be open season. I think Medvedev will establish himself as the favorite before the Open. Berrettini could be a factor. Kyrgios could be in the mix again. Would be nice to see Korda back. How about Andy Murray pulling out a performance for the ages?
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:56 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:09 pm On the tennis side of things at the US Open, I look for more of an open men's draw kind of like the women's draw this year with Novak out, Rafa and his Abs injury, Zverev out. That leaves the chances for one of these younger players to step up and jump into the spotlight and possibly knock off a Medvedev. Someone like A Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner or even an American in Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Brandon Nakashima or someone like that. Regardless who it might be, I think it is a lot more wide open and I think we are going to come out of this USO with a 1st time champion.
Bo-tic, Bo-tic, Bo-tic!

If Medvedev and Rafa aren't at their best, it's definitely going to be open season. I think Medvedev will establish himself as the favorite before the Open. Berrettini could be a factor. Kyrgios could be in the mix again. Would be nice to see Korda back. How about Andy Murray pulling out a performance for the ages?
Your guy Botic would be awesome.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Even with Rafa's abs totally healed, I would still give Fritz a reasonable chance. Sure, he lost that QF Vs Rafa at Wimby, and it must have hurt, but that was his best Slam result. He has been improving little by little, which is all you can ask for.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:13 pm Even with Rafa's abs totally healed, I would still give Fritz a reasonable chance. Sure, he lost that QF Vs Rafa at Wimby, and it must have hurt, but that was his best Slam result. He has been improving little by little, which is all you can ask for.
I also like the chances of Taylor Fritz.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think with the right draw Fritz can go far in New York this year. I definitely see him in Week 2.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, not making week 2 will be underperforming.
I know I just posted, in a separate topic, that we have to gauge Alcaraz' potential. We have to do the same with Fritz. But, by now, we also can claim some minimum's. Any 1R/2R loss by Alcaraz on clay will look bad; he is too good for that. And for Fritz, the same but on hard courts.
It is delicate: we cannot expect them to win a slam THIS year (apart from there being only one left), but we also should not expect 1R losses.
(Unless they run into a Kyrgios on an exceptional day, or an Isner hitting 50 aces in a three setter, or other oddities like that).

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:50 pm Oh, not making week 2 will be underperforming.
I know I just posted, in a separate topic, that we have to gauge Alcaraz' potential. We have to do the same with Fritz. But, by now, we also can claim some minimum's. Any 1R/2R loss by Alcaraz on clay will look bad; he is too good for that. And for Fritz, the same but on hard courts.
It is delicate: we cannot expect them to win a slam THIS year (apart from there being only one left), but we also should not expect 1R losses.
(Unless they run into a Kyrgios on an exceptional day, or an Isner hitting 50 aces in a three setter, or other oddities like that).
For sure. As their rankings reflect, they are favorites in the first few rounds. Fritz isn't that young - he's 24, will be 25 in October. He's entering the long middle phase of his career. Alcaraz's early years have had a different shape.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I am going to throw out this young American to watch in the USO and that is 19 year old Ben Shelton. I am not going to say he is going to win the tournament, but he could stun some players on the way to a good appearance at the Open. He is also currently playing at the Atlanta Open.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

He is ranked 281. I am not sure if what you meant by "stun some players" is that there are players he could beat, because stunning some players sounds, to me, like making 3R or 4R. And Shelton has no credentials for that.
He would even have to qualify first, which is not a given (unless a WC is in order).
Not sure, Cuckoo...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:17 pm He is ranked 281. I am not sure if what you meant by "stun some players" is that there are players he could beat, because stunning some players sounds, to me, like making 3R or 4R. And Shelton has no credentials for that.
He would even have to qualify first, which is not a given (unless a WC is in order).
Not sure, Cuckoo...
I think he is going to get a WC. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins 2 matches and makes it to the 3rd round. Try and watch him in the Atlanta Open if you can. He plays tomorrow.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Shelton will get a wild card because he is an American NCAA singles champion from this year. They did away with automatic wild cards to NCAA singles champs more than a decade ago, but they still give them to players from the U.S. when they win the NCAA singles title.
Last edited by jazzyg on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:08 pm I am going to throw out this young American to watch in the USO and that is 19 year old Ben Shelton. I am not going to say he is going to win the tournament, but he could stun some players on the way to a good appearance at the Open. He is also currently playing at the Atlanta Open.
Good eye on Ben Shelton. I saw him play at the Indy Challenger last week. He made the semis. I was surprised he lost that match, actually. The kid has some big firepower. And he was very nice. It looks like he can get stronger physically. I don't think he will win a round at the Open, but you never know. I'll watch him. It will be interesting to see if he stays in school or goes pro. I think he should stay and get stronger.

Funny, I thought Shelton's serves were bombs, but in the two matches I saw, the opponents returned them pretty easily, nice and deep. Particularly Kovacevic, who beat Shelton in the semi. Kovacevic has a sweet one-handed backhand.

Shelton technically beat Van Rijthoven, but it was a retirement. Van Rijthoven won the first set 7-6 and retired with a sore back soon after, but actually Shelton should have won that first set. One of his own team members messed him up. Late in the set, VR missed a serve and Shelton's uncle (I think) clapped, and VR turned to him and called him out, saying it was disrespectful. Kids sitting next to the uncle were hooting about it. It was sort of a spectacle. I didn't see it, but I heard Shelton was visibly upset by his uncle's actions and the whole thing, and promptly dropped his serve. I don't know if this was during the set or TB. Anyway... I was impressed with the kid, but maybe he's a dime a dozen. I think he plays for his dad in Florida.

Wu Yibing won the Challenger, and that makes three in a row this summer on hard court. The final vs Kovacevic was so close. Kovacevic won the first in a TB and Wu took the second 15-13 in the TB.

Not to derail this topic, but the coolest thing I saw during the tournament was after the doubles final, two opponents stayed on court analyzing the match, very complimentary of each other. The losing finalist, Raja Purav, who is 36, looks like he's a member at the host club, not a pro player. The first time he took the court, I was thinking, "Did they have a tournament to give a doubles wild card to some local players?" He looks way older than 36, mostly because he's bald. But he's good.

Also, the courts weren't as big as we're used to seeing on TV, in terms of room behind the baseline. The line judges were always lunging out of the way or covering their heads to avoid getting hit. The proximity hindered players at some points. I saw someone lose a point because the ball was deep and he would have hit the line judge if he had swung. Also, there were only 3 line judges on the whole court. One calling the service line, and one for each sideline. The sideline judges stood on opposite ends of the court and had to call the whole line, even on the other side, plus the center line on the serve. The chair called the baselines. No review.
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:43 am Shelton will get a wild card because he as American NCAA singles champion from this year. They did away with automatic wild cards to NCAA singles champs more than a decade ago, but they still give them to players from the U.S. when they win the the NCAA singles title.
Main draw or qualies? I'd prefer a qualies wild card. I just wonder if the R1 prize money lures them into leaving school so they don't have to leave it on the table. I assume if they say in school, they can't accept the $40,000 R1 prize money. I think they can take enough to cover expenses, so maybe there are some loopholes. I also wonder if that's changing now that NCAA athletes can accept endorsements.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:53 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:08 pm I am going to throw out this young American to watch in the USO and that is 19 year old Ben Shelton. I am not going to say he is going to win the tournament, but he could stun some players on the way to a good appearance at the Open. He is also currently playing at the Atlanta Open.
Good eye on Ben Shelton. I saw him play at the Indy Challenger last week. He made the semis. I was surprised he lost that match, actually. The kid has some big firepower. And he was very nice. It looks like he can get stronger physically. I don't think he will win a round at the Open, but you never know. I'll watch him. It will be interesting to see if he stays in school or goes pro. I think he should stay and get stronger.

Funny, I thought Shelton's serves were bombs, but the two opponents I saw returned them pretty easily, nice and deep. Particularly Kovacevic, who beat Shelton in the semi. Kovacevic has a sweet one-handed backhand.

Shelton technically beat Van Rijthoven, but it was a retirement. Van Rijthoven won the first set 7-6 and retired with a sore back soon after, but actually Shelton should have won that first set. One of his own team members messed him up. Late in the set, VR missed a serve and Shelton's uncle (I think) clapped, and VR turned to him and called him out, saying it was disrespectful. Kids sitting next to the uncle were hooting about it. It was sort of a spectacle. I didn't see it, but I heard Shelton was visibly upset by his uncle's actions and the whole thing. Then he dropped his serve next. I don't know if this was during the set or TB. Anyway... I was impressed with the kid, but maybe he's a dime a dozen. I think he plays for his dad in Florida.

Wu Yibing won the Challenger, and that makes three in a row this summer on hard court. The final vs Kovacevic was so close. Kovacevic won the first in a TB and Wu took the second 15-13 in the TB.

Not to derail this topic, but the coolest thing I saw during the tournament was after the doubles final, two opponents stayed on court analyzing the match, very complimentary of each other. The losing opponent, Raja Purav, who is 36, looks like he's a member at the club, not a pro player. First time he took the court, I was like, "Did they have a tournament to give a doubles wild card to some local players?" He looks way older than 36, mostly because he's bald. But he's good.

Also, the courts weren't as big as we're used to seeing on TV, in terms of room behind the baseline. The line judges were always lunging out of the way or covering their heads to avoid getting hit. The proximity hindered players at some points. I saw someone lose a point because the ball was deep and he would have hit the line judge if he had swung at hit. Also, there were only 3 line judges on the whole court. One calling the service line, and one for each sideline. The sideline judges stood on opposite ends of the court and had to call the whole line, even on the other side, plus the center line on the serve. The chair called the baselines. No review.
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:43 am Shelton will get a wild card because he as American NCAA singles champion from this year. They did away with automatic wild cards to NCAA singles champs more than a decade ago, but they still give them to players from the U.S. when they win the the NCAA singles title.
Main draw or qualies? I'd prefer a qualies wild card. I just wonder if the R1 prize money lures them into leaving school so they don't have to leave it on the table. I assume if they say in school, they can't accept the $40,000 R1 prize money. I think they can take enough to cover expenses, so maybe there are some loopholes. I also wonder if that's changing now that NCAA athletes can accept endorsements.
I love your analysis on Shelton. Very in depth and spot on. I have heard a lot about him on the The Mini Break Podcast I listen to. Alex Gruskin who does the podcast was raving about him so I had to check him out. Another player the podcast has also raved about is South Korean Kwon Soon-woo who defeated Marcos Giron in the 1st Round of the Atlanta Open yesterday. From what I saw of him he does have solid ground strokes, but can get into a funk and make a slew of errors in bunches.

I am also for Shelton going back to school, but I guess that will be determined by his success on the tour. I do however think he can upset one or two players if he is on his game at the USO. He is definitely someone to watch for the future.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm

Funny, I thought Shelton's serves were bombs, but the two opponents I saw returned them pretty easily, nice and deep. Particularly Kovacevic, who beat Shelton in the semi. Kovacevic has a sweet one-handed backhand.

Shelton technically beat Van Rijthoven, but it was a retirement. Van Rijthoven won the first set 7-6 and retired with a sore back soon after, but actually Shelton should have won that first set. One of his own team members messed him up. Late in the set, VR missed a serve and Shelton's uncle (I think) clapped, and VR turned to him and called him out, saying it was disrespectful. Kids sitting next to the uncle were hooting about it. It was sort of a spectacle. I didn't see it, but I heard Shelton was visibly upset by his uncle's actions and the whole thing. Then he dropped his serve next. I don't know if this was during the set or TB. Anyway... I was impressed with the kid, but maybe he's a dime a dozen. I think he plays for his dad in Florida.

Not to derail this topic, but the coolest thing I saw during the tournament was after the doubles final, two opponents stayed on court analyzing the match, very complimentary of each other. The losing opponent, Raja Purav, who is 36, looks like he's a member at the club, not a pro player. First time he took the court, I was like, "Did they have a tournament to give a doubles wild card to some local players?" He looks way older than 36, mostly because he's bald. But he's good.

Also, the courts weren't as big as we're used to seeing on TV, in terms of room behind the baseline. The line judges were always lunging out of the way or covering their heads to avoid getting hit. The proximity hindered players at some points. I saw someone lose a point because the ball was deep and he would have hit the line judge if he had swung at hit. Also, there were only 3 line judges on the whole court. One calling the service line, and one for each sideline. The sideline judges stood on opposite ends of the court and had to call the whole line, even on the other side, plus the center line on the serve. The chair called the baselines. No review.
I love your analysis on Shelton. Very in depth and spot on. I have heard a lot about him on the The Mini Break Podcast I listen to. Alex Gruskin who does the podcast was raving about him so I had to check him out. Another player the podcast has also raved about is South Korean Kwon Soon-woo who defeated Marcos Giron in the 1st Round of the Atlanta Open yesterday. From what I saw of him he does have solid ground strokes, but can get into a funk and make a slew of errors in bunches.

I am also for Shelton going back to school, but I guess that will be determined by his success on the tour. I do however think he can upset one or two players if he is on his game at the USO. He is definitely someone to watch for the future.
Kwon took a set off Djokovic at Wimbledon, R1. Alex Gruskin lives in Indianapolis, where I am. :) He's a good guy and he's making moves - he's commentating on Tennis Channel in Atlanta this week, I think. I think he said T2, whatever that is. Maybe TC Plus?

I worry about Shelton in B5. It will be very impressive if he wins a match at the Open against a Top 100 player. He played US Open qualies last year and lost in R2 to.... Botic! Fairly close match. If Shelton had won, I wouldn't even know who Botic is.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:46 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm

Kwon took a set off Djokovic at Wimbledon, R1. Alex Gruskin lives in Indianapolis, where I am. :) He's a good guy and he's making moves - he's commentating on Tennis Channel in Atlanta this week, I think. I think he said T2, whatever that is. Maybe TC Plus?

I worry about Shelton in B5. It will be very impressive if he wins a match at the Open against a Top 100 player. He played US Open qualies last year and lost in R2 to.... Botic! Fairly close match. If Shelton had won, I wouldn't even know who Botic is.
Kwon looked great at times in yesterday's match in Atlanta and other times looked awful. The Shelton match is about to come on now so we shall see how he does. Good thing you got to see who Botic was. :D

I love the podcast that Alex Gruskin does and yeah he is doing matches for T2 which has something to do with the Tennis Channel, but I have no idea how to get it. I have Tennis Plus with the Tennis Channel and that isn't it. I don't know what it is exactly. Alex Gruskin said on his podcast that he is living his dream doing these matches.