With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

WTA 1000 Dubai 2/19 - 2/27 2023

To talk about both tours
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: WTA 1000 Dubai 2/19 - 2/27 2023

Post by ponchi101 »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:45 pm ...

Highly celebrated Serena gave 19 walkovers to her opponents. Out of the total of 172 losses it computes to 11%. I did not do a complete study but that seems to be a record percentage. I'm wondering if you were so harsh on her like you do now on these players.

Rybakina had until now 3 walkover losses out of 71 (4.2%). Pliskova has 208 losses and I did not find any walkover until now. This will be the first. Bencic has 158 losses of which there was only one walkover. It is less than 1%.

This rant about modern players being corrupted by money comparing to the previous generation seems to be missing the mark quite a bit.
And then you came up with the data.
Txs. It makes it clearer.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

We all are sometimes guilty of recency bias.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Also what happened to Muchova?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Went to play badminton at Sabalenka 6-0. Very surprised to see how it ended...
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:28 am
nelslus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:15 pm ....LET me also add, and to be clear- Bencic is not gonna happen. (Slam-wise, at least.) The gold medal was punishment enough for true tennis fans. :gorgeous:

....Same for Garcia- and I actually like Garcia. Albeit, I must add that two Slam doubles titles= nothing to sneeze at.
Though not popular, I kinda feel the same way about Coco.
:shock:

....Then again, Bencic and Garcia ain't 18. :gorgeous:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Gauff will be 19 in two weeks by the way.

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:29 pm Gauff will be 19 in two weeks by the way.
...Then again, Bencic and Garcia ain't 19. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:32 pm It sounds like Pliskova has a cold, so I think she gets a pass for pulling out in the middle of a tournament
Sure. But, assumedly. and unless I'm missing something timeline-wise, Pliskova won a match in 3 sets with the same cold- THEN quits?!?! How do you know how you'll feel with a cold when you get some sleep first? Unless she knew all her dreams would involve Iga..... :shock:

IN other tennis news, thank goodness Sabalenka has turned back into the player we've all known and loved for so long. So few things one can count on in life. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

NO, NO, NO!!! Do NOT give thanks for Aryna to return to form. She was the sole player left that could have pushed Iga to ... 6-4 in the 2nd?
;)
(Guess you are right. Weird score)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

I don’t think any of these recent withdrawals was that egregious, except for Bencic, and like Mick said, it’s not really their style to pull out of tournaments.

But there is a crop of players who are doing this. Off the top of my head: Badosa, Yastremska, Andreescu, Raducanu
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

nelslus wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:13 pm
JTContinental wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:32 pm It sounds like Pliskova has a cold, so I think she gets a pass for pulling out in the middle of a tournament
Sure. But, assumedly. and unless I'm missing something timeline-wise, Pliskova won a match in 3 sets with the same cold- THEN quits?!?! How do you know how you'll feel with a cold when you get some sleep first? Unless she knew all her dreams would involve Iga..... :shock:

IN other tennis news, thank goodness Sabalenka has turned back into the player we've all known and loved for so long. So few things one can count on in life. :gorgeous:

Pliskova is a court rat—if she can play, she will
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Day 8 Order of Play

Centre Court

Starts at 03:00 PM

Semifinal
TPE H. CHAN/TPE L. CHAN vs USA D. KRAWCZYK/NED D. SCHUURS (3)
NOT BEFORE 5:00 PM
Semifinal
POL I. SWIATEK (1) vs USA C. GAUFF (5)
NOT BEFORE 7:00 PM
Semifinal
USA J. PEGULA (3) vs CZE B. KREJCIKOVA
FOLLOWED BY
Semifinal
RUS V. KUDERMETOVA/RUS L. SAMSONOVA vs UKR L. KICHENOK/LAT J. OSTAPENKO (2)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I don't expect Gauff to defeat Iga but it's a good opportunity for her to play as well as she can and see how she measures up. Thanks for the reminders that she is still only 18 (19 in two weeks) and that she has another couple of years to fine tune her game.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Agree albeit let's not forget that Iga herself is only 21. One would expect further improvement from her too. She won her first GS just after turning 19 (born May 31st).
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

mick1303 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:45 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:51 pm These withdrawals and retirements are ridiculous. Three (at least) high profile withdrawals in the past week - Bencic, Rybakina, Pliskova. Players no longer have any integrity - it's pathetic.

It's amazing how players view every scheduled match as being optional!
The flippant withdrawals and retirements are disgusting.
There is way too much money in the game, and that ruins everything on several levels. "I'm rich, I'm famous, so I can play only if I want to - if I feel only 98%, I'll take it easy and rest while looking at my lovely bank account numbers and not give a damn about the fans, my opponents, the tournament, or the sport looking bad."
Highly celebrated Serena gave 19 walkovers to her opponents. Out of the total of 172 losses it computes to 11%. I did not do a complete study but that seems to be a record percentage. I'm wondering if you were so harsh on her like you do now on these players.

Rybakina had until now 3 walkover losses out of 71 (4.2%). Pliskova has 208 losses and I did not find any walkover until now. This will be the first. Bencic has 158 losses of which there was only one walkover. It is less than 1%.

This rant about modern players being corrupted by money comparing to the previous generation seems to be missing the mark quite a bit.
1) Yes - I absolutely criticized Serena's attitude, lack of sportsmanship, and questionable commitment to the game for a long time. Though she was undeniably a great player, she was far too much of a 'diva' personality for my liking. The way she robbed Osaka of the joy of her first U.S. Open win tells you all you need to know about Serena - she insisted on the spotlight being on HER, completely depriving Osaka of a once in a lifetime joyful experience. It was pathetic. And that wasn't the only time she stole the spotlight from a more deserving person at the U.S. Open - she did the same to Kim Clijsters some years earlier.
Of course, as is the custom in this crazy society, one's faults, no matter how grave, almost always get completely overlooked if the person is A) good at their craft, and B) very 'famous'. Infinite (very poor) excuses are made for the despicable behaviour of 'famous people' because of the sick and very unhealthy celebrity worship/culture that exists. Think Tiger Woods, as well...

And I also obviously remember the frequency with which Serena decided not to play, often at the last minute (conveniently, after the tickets were sold). No - I was never a Serena fan.

As for the recent withdrawals... I stand by my position that it's bush league. What other professional sport on Earth has 4 matches/games cancelled in the space of one week? And they were 4 high profile matches, too - not first round matchups between qualifiers.
I really don't care what percentages you worked out in terms of their frequencies of withdrawals (why didn't you add in-match retirements to your tally?) - the fact is that when a player quits a tournament - whether through withdrawal or in-match retirement - the fans are screwed, the tournament organizers are screwed, and the sport looks quite bad.

And I maintain that if you enter a tournament, you enter it to play until you either lose, or you win the tournament. That is called honest commitment. That is called respect for the fans, your opponents, the tournament, and the sport. To view every match as being optional, and to view quitting if you are not feeling absolutely 100% as being a viable option, is downright pathetic. The only exception should be if you are TRULY incapable of playing due to injury (or that there is a strong likelihood that your injury will become very serious if you play), or due to some sort of personal emergency. Does anyone honestly believe that this situation has occurred 4 times in the past week with the top athletes in the world? If so, I'm sure there are some good deals on a few bridges you could purchase.

History shows unequivocally and undeniably that money corrupts people. Do you honestly think that tennis players are above this?
If so, why?

If common sense is employed, there can be absolutely no denying that today's players are far more coddled and spoiled than were the players of the '70s, '80s, and even into the beginning of the '90s. They are treated as demi-gods today by sponsors, by tournaments, by fans, by the media... Plus they are making much, much, much more money (relative to the cost of living) than they were pre 1990s. To not see that this very directly leads to a sense of entitlement in the majority of players, and to a less intense level of commitment and respect for the fans, and for the game, is, in my opinion, to be ignorant of the obvious.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower