National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ponchi101 »

In short, they were presented with the bill and needed some time to come up with the money.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Stephanie Ruhle said this is what happened yesterday. Part of the problem is that while she was predicting this is what happened with a high level of certainty, Robinhood took a very long time coming up with that explanation and instead went with something that looked like a combo of Wall Street pressure and protecting big investors. So even though this is very likely true, people are having a hard time believing it because it should've been the first thing they announced yesterday when things were halted.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I like Stephanie Ruhle a lot. I feel she is one of MSNBC's underused talents.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I've been thinking we need a thread on financial stuff but big stories don't come that often. This is here because Amazon is based in the US. Notice the announcement came after the markets closed.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I wonder how many of those small investors managed to cash in on the GameStop rally they engineered. Even to a novice like me it's obvious that the stock price was bound to eventually crash and will likely end exactly where the Wall street tycoons expect it to end. As I understand it the reason short sellers were hurt so badly is because their trades are time bound (have to return stock at a given date no matter the price). They couldn't wait out wild price swings like normal investors could.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You are correct. A "short" is really nothing more than a bet, and it has an expiration date. By that date, you have to buy back.
The moment the short expired, GameStop was once again worth what the market would say. And now, with no shorts out there, it is basically worthless. It is Blockbuster, or Blackberry. The business model is obsolete.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

New report finds toxic heavy metals in popular baby foods. FDA failed to warn consumers of risk.
Gerber, Beech-Nut, HappyBABY and Earth’s Best Organic baby foods contained arsenic, lead, cadmium and mercury, report found

By
Laura Reiley
Feb. 4, 2021 at 8:45 a.m. EST

A congressional report found many of the products made by the country’s largest commercial baby food manufacturers contain significant levels of toxic heavy metals, including arsenic, lead, cadmium and mercury, which can endanger infant neurological development.

The report released Thursday from the House Oversight Committee’s subcommittee on economic and consumer policy found heavy metals in rice cereals, sweet potato puree, juices and sweet snack puffs made by some of the most trusted names in baby food.

Gerber, Beech-Nut, HappyBABY (made by Nurture) and Earth’s Best Organic baby foods (made by Hain Celestial Group) complied with the committee’s request to submit internal testing documents.

Campbell Soup, which sells Plum Organics baby foods, Walmart (its private brand is Parent’s Choice) and Sprout Foods declined to cooperate, according to members of the subcommittee.

The committee said the findings show the need for more stringent regulation of commercial baby food, including FDA standards for heavy metals, as well as mandatory testing for heavy metals.

“Over the last decade advocates and scientists have brought this to the attention of the Food and Drug Administration,” subcommittee Chair Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-Ill.) told The Washington Post. “The FDA must set standards and regulate this industry much more closely, starting now. It’s shocking that parents are basically being completely left in the lurch by their government.”

The FDA said it was reviewing the findings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... baby-food/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I wouldn't say I'm a health nut but I made my daughter's baby food. I don't remember any particular reason I did it back then except that I was home and thought it was easier than running to the store.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

But remember. The smallest government is the best government.
In a world that gets more complicated by the minute.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

^^ What did I say? Get in early if you have money to invest, a blossoming industry.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The West/North-west of the USA is a different country.
BTW. This was not posted here, which is another major step in making things better, not solving anything and everything by sending the police and slapping handcuffs on everybody:
Oregon Just Decriminalized All Drugs
Portugal did that at least 5 years ago. Needless to say, Portugal has become hell on earth.
Not.