With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
JTContinental United States of America

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by JTContinental »

No one:

Jimmy Arias: From my standpoint, I don't think [Iga Swiatek's] been great for women's tennis, because she wears her hat so low that you can't even see her face or her eyes during a match, so you don't get a connection as much as you could. So, I don't mind her getting angry in some ways, but I want to see her personality.

Perhaps he also thinks she should smile more.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Unrelated, I could compile a decent sized list of players I'd like to wear hats on court so that I can see less of their personality.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:22 am No one:

Jimmy Arias: From my standpoint, I don't think [Iga Swiatek's] been great for women's tennis, because she wears her hat so low that you can't even see her face or her eyes during a match, so you don't get a connection as much as you could. So, I don't mind her getting angry in some ways, but I want to see her personality.

Perhaps he also thinks she should smile more.
To say that Iga isn't good for women's tennis because her hat hides her eyes is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard commentator say about a player let alone the only woman who comes out ready to take names every time she plays. I've always thought Arias is an idiot and he just proved that he is.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I assume this was said during broadcast and I know they say a lot of dumb things to fill the time but jesus.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They have to have a journalism class called "Silence 101". It should be for journalists and talking heads that need to be taught a simple rule: You don't have to talk all the time. Let the match/game carry you.
It is not as if Iga is the only one wearing a cap/visor.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:15 pm They have to have a journalism class called "Silence 101". It should be for journalists and talking heads that need to be taught a simple rule: You don't have to talk all the time. Let the match/game carry you.
Staying quiet is a classic reporter's trick. Don't rush to fill the dead air - the subject will likely keep talking because dead air is uncomfortable. Usually you want the person to do most of the talking.

Commentating is different, but the best know when to stay mum. I'd guess producers are involved, too.

Regarding Iga's cap, Roddick wore one, too. Someone should tell him it was bad for American tennis.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Henin also wore a cap and did quite well.

Post by meganfernandez »

patrick wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:58 pm Henin also wore a cap and did quite well.
Not in the popularity department, though. :) To Arias's point.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:24 am Regarding Iga's cap, Roddick wore one, too. Someone should tell him it was bad for American tennis.
So that's why American men haven't won a Grand Slam title since 2003. :o
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:29 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:24 am Regarding Iga's cap, Roddick wore one, too. Someone should tell him it was bad for American tennis.
So that's why American men haven't won a Grand Slam title since 2003. :o
:lol:
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:24 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:15 pm They have to have a journalism class called "Silence 101". It should be for journalists and talking heads that need to be taught a simple rule: You don't have to talk all the time. Let the match/game carry you.
Staying quiet is a classic reporter's trick. Don't rush to fill the dead air - the subject will likely keep talking because dead air is uncomfortable. Usually you want the person to do most of the talking.

Commentating is different, but the best know when to stay mum. I'd guess producers are involved, too.

Regarding Iga's cap, Roddick wore one, too. Someone should tell him it was bad for American tennis.
It is a good rule for salepeople too! The power of silence...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Tignor predicts Rublev will beat Alcaraz in the semis of cincy and Medvedev will beat Djokovic.. I wonder where he gets such ideas..a tennis expert..really?!

I wonder if it is just the need to say something different at any cost ..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Maybe create a little narrative that is different. And remember, IF he is wrong, no big deal. But if he is right, he gets bragging rights because people do not keep track of the misses, just of the hits.
Same procedure as astrologers do.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

As a member of the media (though rarely covering tennis), there's nothing worse than fans ripping our selections as stupid or calculated or something else.

I assume Tignor made those picks because he thinks that is what will happen. I've read all of his selections over the past several years, and for the most part, he is pretty accurate, although predicting what will happen always is difficult. Wertheim has riffed many times on how his picks create more anger and derision among his readers than anything else, almost to the point that he dreads making picks.

Ashkor, you have plenty of tennis knowledge, but like anyone else would be who tries to predict results, you've been incredibly wrong on a ton of your voluminous predictions over the last several months. I'm a little surprised you are questioning the basis for Tignor's given your own experience.

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:10 pm As a member of the media (though rarely covering tennis), there's nothing worse than fans ripping our selections as stupid or calculated or something else.

I assume Tignor made those picks because he thinks that is what will happen. I've read all of his selections over the past several years, and for the most part, he is pretty accurate, although predicting what will happen always is difficult. Wertheim has riffed many times on how his picks create more anger and derision among his readers than anything else, almost to the point that he dreads making picks.

Ashkor, you have plenty of tennis knowledge, but like anyone else would be who tries to predict results, you've been incredibly wrong on a ton of your voluminous predictions over the last several months. I'm a little surprised you are questioning the basis for Tignor's given your own experience.
Rublev and Medvedev played each other in the Cincy semis two years ago. Tignor is factoring in past performance in Cincy and maybe who might be well-rested after Canada. But I think he's nuts to pick Rublev and Medvedev, given recent results - Rublev has had a good summer, but on grass and clay. Losing if R1 to Mackie McDonals in straights in Canada doesn't scream "long run in Cincy" to me. Unless he is rested.

Tignor didn't explain his semi and finals picks, but he must think Alcaraz was too erratic in Canada. But he was a lot better than Rublev. And I don't think Medvedev this year beats Djokovic. Meddy hasn't had a good year.