Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:36 pm Most of the top 100 would eclipse 500K by playing the four slams and the 1000 series tournaments.
I don't think this would be as much out of pocket
Right now, the WTA would pay out around $2 million to the Top 100 players who haven't cleared $500K yet this year. The highest-ranked player who hasn't made $500k is, ironically, #47 Emma Navarro at $496k, and then #51 Aranxta Rus at $434k. Most of the Top 80 clears $500k. Doubles helps if they can win a few rounds at the Slams.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

That's something I hadn't considered. How many players who currently dabble in doubles would bypass it knowing they were guaranteed money. It would figure into their scheduling I have to believe

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:17 pm That's something I hadn't considered. How many players who currently dabble in doubles would bypass it knowing they were guaranteed money. It would figure into their scheduling I have to believe
It would be a huge part of player scheduling, especially toward the end of the year when non-Asian players would weigh traveling to Asia versus staying home and making the same money. But they wouldn't get the points. And this just affects the players ranked lower than 60 or so, entering ITFs and 125s. Everyone else clears the threshold easily and won't need to factor it in.

On the flip side, players 100-150 might work their tails off to squeak into the top 100 by the end of the year to cross the threshold. It's extra incentive on top of making the Top 100 to get direct entry into the AO and that fat R1 Slam prize money.

I imagine there might be guardrails to keep players from abusing the system, skipping tournaments where they might earn the money honestly in order to stay home and take the freebie. Maybe you have to enter X number of events that you're eligible for in order to qualify for the guaranteed income, or you have to choose to enter WTA events rather than ITF when you're ranked high enough to qualify for both (because you stand to earn more at the WTA event, thus giving yourself a better chance to earn $500k).

The big winner in this scenario would be Yafan Wang, the lowest earner - by far - in the top 100 right now. She is #94 and has made $189k, mostly at ITF events and WTA 125s (plus a R1 win at the US Open, after qualifying). Her ranking had fallen to 700 this summer, I'm guessing from an injury, and she went 57/11 to get back into the top 100 in September. Playing ITFs wasn't lucrative, but she got to stay close to home for many months and get some relatively easier wins and build confidence. She had to play a ton of matches, but it worked and she would stand to get a $300k bonus. I could see someone using this strategy of dropping down to play ITFs and WTA 125s in some scenarios when they need confidence and the points, knowing the WTA will supplement their prize money.

Another potential big winner - Emina Bektas (who lives in Indy, by the way - i see you're in Michigan). She came on strong this fall and is up to #104 and $130k. She is 16 points outside the top 100 with one week left to go. That's one round at a 250 event, and there are three of them this week. She is entered in Tunisia and plays Claire Liu in R1 - Liu is ranked #92. That's incredible pressure.

Humor me on this, too - that R1 in Tunisia match is worth $4,000. The title winner only gets $32,000. Claire Liu has already cleared $500k. Emina Bektas stands to make another $370 if she wins that match. Any scenario in which she tells Liu that she will give her $50k to lose? You don't think this will cross someone's mind at some point? It introduces a new incentive opportunity that someone will take advantage of. Maybe not most players, but someone will.

It will really suck for the players who drop out of the Top 100 at the end of the year.

So yes, a guaranteed salary might change a lot for lower-ranked players, frequent doubles players, and those dealing with injuries.

Post by Fastbackss »

Glad I am not tasked with going through the scenarios. You've gone through many already.

Ps - I likely will see Ms. Bektas at the Midland tournament in a few weeks

Post by Fastbackss »

IMG_20231016_120656.jpg
Interesting story but...
I'm sorry - there is a level of degenerateness involved betting $28 on a ten leg parlay. (Unless bankroll is big enough I guess).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote:Glad I am not tasked with going through the scenarios. You've gone through many already.

Ps - I likely will see Ms. Bektas at the Midland tournament in a few weeks
Oh cool. She played at Michigan, I think. I’m just now making the connection between Midland the cool architecture destination and the Midland tennis tournaments. I’ve wanted to check out the Dow sites and the canopy walk. I assume the tournament is inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Fastbackss »

Indeed it is.

And I still need to do the canopy walk...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

WTA

12. GAUFF
14. OSAKA
18. SABALENKA
21. RADUCANU
43. KVITOVÁ
50. JABEUR

ATP

Novak Djokovic - 11
Carlos Alcaraz - 54
Iga Swiatek - 58
Caroline Garcia - 85
Frances Tiafoe - 88
Holger Rune - 95
Jannik Sinner - 97
Andrey Rublev - 105
Borna Coric - 121

Full List

https://50mm.sportspromedia.com/athletes/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jenson Brooksby given 18 months sanction for whereabouts failures

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) can confirm that an independent tribunal has suspended American tennis player Jenson Brooksby for 18 months after it found the player had committed three whereabouts failures in a twelve-month period.

The independent tribunal, established by Sport Resolutions, met on 10 October 2023, hearing from the player and several witnesses including the Doping Control Officer (DCO) who was involved in the disputed second missed test. Brooksby accepted that the first and third missed tests were valid so only the second missed test was in dispute before the tribunal.

Having considered the evidence, the tribunal found that Brooksby’s degree of fault for the missed test was high. The tribunal found that the DCO “took all reasonable steps to locate the player” in the disputed test and the player was negligent by not making themself available for testing during the identified time slot.

Brooksby, who has a career-high ATP singles ranking of 33, elected to take a voluntary provisional suspension shortly after being notified of the charge and as such, the sanction will be backdated to 5 July 2023 and end on 4 January 2025. During this time, the player is prohibited from playing in, coaching at, or attending any tennis event authorised or sanctioned by the tennis members of the ITIA: ATP, ITF, WTA, Australian Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US Open.

ITIA CEO Karen Moorhouse commented, “The whereabouts programme is a vital tool in maintaining a clean sport. No-one wants players to fall foul of the rules in this way. We offer regular support and education to all players who are part of the whereabouts programme and make ourselves available to answer any questions. We urge all players to take the necessary steps to ensure that they are meticulous with their whereabouts filings.”

Three Whereabouts Failures – which can include missed tests or filing failures – within a rolling 12-month period can result in an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under article 2.4 of the TADP, which can carry a maximum sanction of a two-year suspension. In Brooksby’s case, three missed tests were registered within a 12-month period from April 2022.

The player has 21 days to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and the full decision will be published on the ITIA website in due course.

The ITIA is an independent body established by its tennis members to promote, encourage, enhance and safeguard the integrity of professional tennis worldwide.

End

Published 24 October 2023 21:00

https://itia.tennis/news/sanctions/jens ... ereabouts/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

For reference Mikael Ymer's suspension was reduced to 18 months.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ATP Tour @atptour
A message from Pete 🙏

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Still my favorite player of all times, especially because, yes, he was always private and quiet.
Wish her (and her family) the best. Tough think to go through, at such young age.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Likewise...although she'll always be Veronica Vaughn to me!
:steven: