Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ti-amie »

Wimbledon expansion plans rejected by Wandsworth council
Planning committee votes unanimously against All England Club’s proposals to triple size on to listed park

The All England Lawn Tennis Club as it now stands. The club’s proposals would have almost tripled its grounds from 17 to 46 hectares. Photograph: Thomas Lovelock/AP

Rupert Neate Wealth correspondent
@RupertNeate
Tue 21 Nov 2023 23.03 GMT
A London council has rejected plans to build a new 8,000-seat stadium and 38 further tennis courts on a Grade II*-listed park in Wimbledon.

Wandsworth council’s planning committee on Tuesday night voted unanimously to reject the All England Lawn Tennis Club’s plans to almost triple the size of the tennis championship grounds from 17 hectares (42 acres) to 46 hectares.

The councillors agreed with Wandsworth’s planning officers’ recommendation that the proposal be refused as it would “cause substantial harm to the openness of metropolitan open land”.

Applause broke out in the public gallery when councillors voted 7-0 to reject the All England Club’s plans after more than two and a half hours of debate. Campaigners have described the club’s proposals – which include a nine-storey stadium, more than 9km [5.5 miles] of roads, 10 maintenance hubs and 38 new grass courts on Wimbledon Park – as creating an “industrial tennis complex”.

Guy Humphries, a Conservative councillor for the Southfields ward, said he could not recall any other “planning application that has upset so many people for so many reasons”.

Humphries said the All England Club “fails desperately” in its claim that there are “very special circumstances” that should allow it to build on Wimbledon Park, which is designated as metropolitan open land and was first designed by Capability Brown in the 18th century.

The All England Club had argued that it desperately needs to expand and increase its facilities to ensure that the Wimbledon grand slam “remains the world’s premier tennis tournament”.

Ravi Govindia, a councillor for East Putney and former leader of Wandsworth council, said the All England prides itself on the serenity of its grounds but the plans “are going away from tennis in English country garden”. “As much as I would like to see this investment in the area this is not the way to do it,” he added.

The 155-year-old All England Club succeeded last month in winning the approval of the planning committee of the neighbouring authority, Merton, but a small triangle of the park lies within Wandsworth’s boundaries. The All England requires the permission of both councils and the mayor of London (and possibly Michael Gove, the secretary of state for levelling up, housing and communities) in order to go ahead with the project.

Sally Bolton, chief executive of the All England Club, said: “Naturally, we are disappointed by the London Borough of Wandsworth’s decision. Our proposals will deliver one of the greatest sporting transformations for London since 2012, alongside substantial benefits for the local community.

“We firmly believe the AELTC Wimbledon Park Project offers significant social, economic and environmental improvements, including turning 23 acres of previously private land into a new public park, alongside hundreds of jobs and tens of millions of pounds in economic benefits for our neighbours in Wandsworth, Merton and across London.

“Given the split council decision, with the London Borough of Merton resolving to approve our application last month, our planning application will now be referred to the mayor of London’s office for consideration.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... th-council
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Accused by an ex. Former tennis player David Nalbandian, reported for alleged harassment and harassment
The woman - a young model from Rosario - found a camera installed in a vent in the apartment they shared when they were dating, between February and September of this year; Justice began an investigation based on an audio message from him
November 22, 2023
16:01

Gabriela Origlia
FOR THE NATION

David Nalbandian acknowledged installing the camera, but said he never saw anything.
Fabian Marelli - LA NACION

CÓRDOBA.- Former Córdoba tennis player David Nalbandian was reported for alleged harassment and harassment. It was done by his ex-partner, who stated that he placed a camera in the windlight of an apartment they shared when they were still together, so that he could control her and see what she was doing.The case, due to lack of evidence, was filed in the first and second instance.

Araceli Torrado is a model from Rosario with whom Nalbandian had a relationship for several months. He acknowledged, in an audio message, having installed the camera, but claimed that he had “never” seen anything because the device did not work.

The relationship between the two became public last February, when they were seen at the theater in the City of Buenos Aires; They finished in June.

The couple shared an apartment in Palermo, where she continued to live for a while longer after the separation. It was there that one day she discovered, while with her brother, a security camera installed behind a central ventilation outlet.

According to the complaint, Torrado's brother removed the cover with a screwdriver and discovered the security camera connected with several cables to be monitored live. He then presented the complaint to the Court, which, at first, filed it due to lack of evidence.

With audios and messages from Nalbandian admitting what happened, Torrado appealed the decision. The young woman's lawyer, Martín Olari Ugrotte , stated that, in this way, the investigation was reopened.

Nalbandian retired from professional tennis a decade ago, in October 2013, when he was 31 years old. He became number 3 in the world ranking and won eleven titles on the ATP circuit. He was a three-time finalist in the Davis Cup with the national team. Although he always liked cars, it was not until 2014 that he debuted as a driver in the Argentine Rally. He was married for 22 years until he separated last year. He has two children.

Gabriela Origlia

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/seguridad/d ... d22112023/
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jon Wertheim @jon_wertheim
FWIW, hearing more chatter about the Slams joining to acquire 10 biggest events, forming a super tour (with Saudi Arabia getting 10th event)…leaving @atp and @WTA to run 500s and year-end finals…lot of hurdles to clear but this would be the proverbial game-changer…stay tuned
So goodbye to 250's and WTA 1000's?

I read this as implying that the ATP M1000's will become joint ATP/WTA events since no mention is made of them in this rumor.

They're trying to sneak KSA event in the back door.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:
Jon Wertheim @jon_wertheim
FWIW, hearing more chatter about the Slams joining to acquire 10 biggest events, forming a super tour (with Saudi Arabia getting 10th event)…leaving @atp and @WTA to run 500s and year-end finals…lot of hurdles to clear but this would be the proverbial game-changer…stay tuned
So goodbye to 250's and WTA 1000's?

I read this as implying that the ATP M1000's will become joint ATP/WTA events since no mention is made of them in this rumor.

They're trying to sneak KSA event in the back door.
Yes that’s what I assume. I HOPE they would all become dual-gender events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi: We're all on the same side – that's team tennis
Gaudenzi speaks to The National about plans to expand in Saudi Arabia, his 'OneVision' strategy, and the threat of a possible civil war in tennis

Reem Abulleil
Dec 07, 2023

Listen In English

Listen in Arabic

Powered by automated translation

Professional tennis’ first foray into Saudi Arabia saw Hamad Medjedovic clinch the Next Gen ATP Finals title in front of a capacity crowd in Jeddah.

Andrea Gaudenzi, the chairman of the ATP, attended the final day of action at King Abdullah Sports City's indoor arena and says the tour’s first experience in the Kingdom was generally positive, despite the teething issues that are expected with any first-year event.

“I think I've heard very, very good feedback, both from the players and from my team, in terms of execution, the infrastructure here is impressive. The amount of work, investment and passion into the details has been amazing. I also looked at it on TV and it looked very nice. So yeah, I’m very, very, very pleased,” Gaudenzi told The National on the sidelines of the tournament now in its sixth edition following a five-year stint in Milan.

The Next Gen ATP Finals features eight of the world’s best players aged 21 and under. It was that criteria that attracted the Saudi Tennis Federation to host the event as a way to engage with the Kingdom’s predominantly young population.

But as has been the trend with other sports, Saudi Arabia is keen to expand its involvement in tennis by staging bigger events across both the men’s and women’s tours.

“We are exploring a number of different opportunities" with Saudi Arabia, said Gaudenzi.

“And we are here obviously, so we want to work with Saudi. I think we had very good relations the last couple of years, very interesting discussions.

“They have expressed the willingness and the desire to do more in sport and in tennis. I think the biggest challenge on our side is the calendar. In all honesty, it's very tight, it's very jammed.

“But the desire for us to actually be here and be in the region, because we value the Middle East a lot, is there.

“I think we're going to have to work it out together in phases or we're looking at all opportunities. We don't have the solutions at the moment, but we're definitely going to keep discussing with all the parties.”

An announcement regarding the WTA Finals signing a multi-year deal with Saudi Arabia is said to be in the works, but Gaudenzi hopes the Next Gen ATP Finals will become a combined event that unites the best young players on the men’s and women’s tours in Jeddah – an idea that was floated for this year’s edition but never materialised.

“We did already try to push it forward. I definitely would like the idea to have Next Gen being combined and to see the top eight [21-and-under] men and women together, I really liked that concept a lot. And hopefully it can come to reality ... Obviously, this is beyond my control,” added Gaudenzi.

Threat of a spin-off tour?
The 50-year-old Italian was re-elected for a second term earlier this year that will see him serve as ATP chairman through 2026. A former top-20 player, Gaudenzi’s chairmanship has centred around his ‘OneVision’ strategy, which is based on three core principles: driving unity, enhancing the fan experience, and leveraging scalable growth opportunities in media, data, content and technology.

Tennis’ fragmented structure is one of the main reasons the sport has been unable to maximise its financial potential with its seven stakeholders – ATP, WTA, ITF, and the four Grand Slams – rarely aligned.

As Gaudenzi’s OneVision strategy enters its second phase, which is meant to foster unity among the various stakeholders and among players and tournaments, a recent report in The Athletic suggested that the four Grand Slams are plotting to form a partnership between themselves and the nine ATP Masters 1000 events to create "a premium tour that resembles a tennis version of Formula One”.

According to the report, a 10th Masters tournament would be added, to be staged in Saudi Arabia.

Is there a real danger that the tour’s biggest events, the Masters 1000s, would leave the ATP’s umbrella and join forces with the Grand Slams?

“No, in my opinion, absolutely not,” replied Gaudenzi.

“I think that generally there is a lot of noise in that regard. I think what I've been extremely vocal about the last four years with OneVision is that we need to figure out a way to work together, right?

“Because ultimately, whatever was written in that article, it's definitely the concept of focusing on a premium product, which will mean the Slams and the Masters and the premium product, all together combined, is a very powerful proposition for the consumers. That I agree with 100 per cent. That's what we are trying to do with OneVision.

“Obviously, I don't know, different people probably come up with different ideas on how to get there.”

‘Having civil war doesn’t help’
Gaudenzi believes tennis should not compete with itself and instead unite to compete with other sports and entertainment organisations.

He feels division, like the one suggested in The Athletic report “will only destroy value, not create value.

“And there is also another problem: in some cases it’s difficult to come back. Because then you hinder the relationship and it becomes even more difficult.

“Ultimately, I think you can get there by building on top of the value that we have today rather than destroying and creating disruption, which I think ultimately, it's always more expensive, it’s time and energy and money-consuming, it’s not necessary.”

Gaudenzi doesn’t believe the Grand Slams have any interest in purchasing other tournaments or running their own tour and says they actually prefer to “simplify the narrative”.

“I'm 100 per cent pro unity and pro finding solutions through conversations in a room. I strongly believe we can agree a lot more than we actually believe, when you're together,” said Gaudenzi.

“Because ultimately we are aligned. We are all pushing for tennis to be stronger and growing, vis-à-vis the other sports and vis-à-vis the other entertainment properties. So we're on the same side, we're on the same team – that's team tennis. Having civil war doesn't help.”

Gaudenzi has also warned that a spin-off tour could further confuse fans. “So it would be a massive mistake to go down that direction,” he added.

Transparency, profit-sharing and guaranteed base earnings
While many challenges lie ahead, there are significant accomplishments that have been achieved during Gaudenzi’s tenure through his strategic plan.

The ATP is a membership organisation of tournaments and players but historically players had no access to the financials of the tournaments they were participating in. But in 2022, a game-changing 50-50 profit-sharing initiative was introduced which gave players full transparency on the economics of tournaments, via auditors, and gave them access to half of the profits made by these events, based on a specific formula.

The first profit-sharing payout for the 2022 season – announced last month – resulted in an additional $12.2 million Bonus Pool distribution to players, which increased the total player compensation this year by a record $50 million.

Gaudenzi says the profit-sharing initiative has fostered trust between players and tournaments and has changed the dynamic among their representatives in board meetings.

“It’s like we are on the same boat and it's a lot easier to make decisions and there is a feeling of, we're a team rather than before, you could see players and tournaments sitting on the opposite side of the table, it was almost like a tennis game,” he explained. “You know, I serve faster, I have to return faster but now it's a team. And that is the mindset that I'm trying to change also at the higher level with WTA and the Grand Slams.

“I think we are in a very, very good place with WTA. We are discussing WTA Ventures which is a merger of all the commercial entities – ATP Media, TDI [Tennis Data Innovations] and WTA Ventures.

“And I'm also not shy in saying that the progress with Grand Slams in the last few years has been slower than I would have wished. But I'm still optimistic.”

The ATP also announced an unprecedented Baseline programme which will guarantee base earnings for players ranked in the top 250, provide injury protection compensation, and offer newcomer investment funding for players who have broken into the top 125 for the first time.

Since player earnings have always been directly related to performance, the Baseline programme offers a degree of financial security to the players, irrespective of their results.

Currently, the ATP is the sole contributor to the baseline programme but Gaudenzi believes the benefit can be much greater if the Grand Slams contributed as well.

“I think we can make player welfare a lot better if the wider group would also contribute. But giving that feeling to them of security I think is very, very important for their career and their mental health,” he said.

Undervalued media rights
As Gaudenzi puts it, phase one of OneVision strategy was about “getting our house in order” and phase two is about achieving goals that involve collaborating with other stakeholders.

A key challenge has been how undervalued tennis’ media rights have been. While broadcast deals are usually one of the biggest sources of revenue in other sports, that is not the case in tennis, once again due to its fragmented structure.

“It's probably the biggest untapped opportunity in our sport. And the solution to that is one word: aggregation,” said Gaudenzi.

“If we were able to go to market with the Grand Slams, ATP, WTA package, premium product, to market, especially today, where big global streamers, the Apples, the Netflix, or the Amazon, are coming into sport, it will be a very, very, very compelling package.

“Two-hundred days of premium product, lots of volume; if you compare that to Formula One which is two, three hours per race, 23 races per year ... I think we can be a very, very compelling proposition.

“The problem is that we all go to market separately, market by market. That's very inefficient and it also creates pain points for the fans.

“You need three, four, five subscriptions per market to actually follow tennis [on TV]. We make it difficult for fans to follow the story rather than say, ‘hey, free aperitivo, come and have dinner in our restaurant. Here is a plate of pasta’.

“So aggregation basically means again a deal with a Grand Slams and the WTA. It's OneVision. One of the goals of OneVision is aggregating the commercial rights.”

Does he see it happening though?

“Is it moving as fast as I wish? No. And that's going to be the number one priority my next three years. So I don't know, I'm an optimist. Will it be easy? No. Is it impossible? No. It's doable, but we'll see!”

Updated: December 07, 2023, 4:12 AM

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/t ... am-tennis/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I like Reem and have followed her for years before I began limiting my visits to Xitter. She's a great reporter.

I never thought about what it would mean if the Slams and M1000's became it's own tour. Wouldn't that leave KSA out of the picture? I wish she had explored that angle more.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A tenth masters. In S. Arabia.
If I remember well, how about the incessant claim that the calendar is too long?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I would love to be a very out, flamboyant, top ranked tennis player queening out on court at my win and during the award ceremony at a Saudi Arabian masters 1000.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I don't want to denigrate Reem. She's covered tennis for years and she's based in Cairo. That said any other reporter would've brought up the issues surrounding KSA and that is the major problem I have with the interview.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Injury and Illness, but since she's retired I went with here...

reports are that Chris Evert's cancer has recurred

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... er-returns

"While this is a diagnosis I never wanted to hear, I once again feel fortunate that it was caught early," she said in the statement. "Based on a PET CT scan, I underwent another robotic surgery this past week. Doctors found cancer cells in the same pelvic region. All cells were removed, and I have begun another round of chemotherapy."
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not going to "like" that post, but thanks for that, Ti. Hope Chris will make it through, again.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

texasniteowl wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:04 am Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Injury and Illness, but since she's retired I went with here...

reports are that Chris Evert's cancer has recurred

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/ ... er-returns

"While this is a diagnosis I never wanted to hear, I once again feel fortunate that it was caught early," she said in the statement. "Based on a PET CT scan, I underwent another robotic surgery this past week. Doctors found cancer cells in the same pelvic region. All cells were removed, and I have begun another round of chemotherapy."
So sad. But she's a fighter and will have the best care.