Not Before: 1:00pm
2. Matthew Ebden / Samantha Stosur tied Joran Vliegen / Ulrikke Eikeri
3. Rajeev Ram / Joe Salisbury v Rafael Matos / David Vega Hernandez
4. Matwe Middelkoop / Ellen Perez v Neal Skupski / Desirae Krawczyk

COURT 12 - 11:00AM

1. Lloyd Glasspool / Harri Heliovaara v Nikola Mektic / Mate Pavic
2. Gabriela Dabrowski / Giuliana Olmos v Danielle Collins / Desirae Krawczyk
3. Kirsten Flipkens / Sara Sorribes Tormo v Barbora Krejcikova / Katerina Siniakova

COURT 18 - 11:00AM

1. Juan Sebastian Cabal / Robert Farah v Radu Albot / Nikoloz Basilashvili
2. Magdalena Frech / Beatriz Haddad Maia v Nicole Melichar-Martinez / Ellen Perez
3. Liv Hovde v Ranah Akua Stoiber
4. Bruno Soares / Beatriz Haddad Maia v John Peers / Gabriela Dabrowski

COURT 4 - 11:00AM

1. Lautaro Midon v Joao Fonseca
2. Martin Antonio Vergara Del Puerto v Jakub Nicod
3. Lanlana Tararudee v Lucia Peyre

COURT 5 - 11:00AM

1. Yu-Yun Li v Hannah Klugman
2. Martin Landaluce v Gerard Campana Lee
3. Weronika Ewald v Hephzibah Oluwadare
4. Bor Artnak v Paul Inchauspe

COURT 6 - 11:00AM

1. Gabriel Debru v Louis Bowden
2. Sebastian Gorzny v Viktor Frydrych
3. Mingge Xu v Carolina Kuhl

COURT 7 - 11:00AM

1. Sofia Johnson v Victoria Mboko
2. Kilian Feldbausch v Leanid Boika
Not Before: 2:00pm
3. Nicholas Godsick v Gilles Arnaud Bailly
4. Luca Udvardy v Daniela Piani

COURT 8 - 11:00AM

1. Cooper Williams v Ignacio Buse
2. Hayato Matsuoka v Aidan Kim
3. Johanne Christine Svendsen v Mia Slama
4. Alexis Blokhina v Sandugash Kenzhibayeva

COURT 9 - 11:00AM

1. Michael Zheng v Hayden Jones
2. Tereza Valentova v Sayaka Ishii
3. Isabella Kruger v Sonya Macavei
4. Alexander Frusina v Lennon Roark Jones

COURT 14 - 11:00AM

1. Isis Louise Van Den Broek v Taylah Preston
2. Kamil Majchrzak / Jan Zielinski v Denis Kudla / Jack Sock
3. Mate Pavic / Sania Mirza v Ivan Dodig / Latisha Chan

COURT 15 - 11:00AM

1. Jonah Braswell v Coleman Wong
2. Edward Winter v Alex Michelsen
3. Hayu Kinoshita v Kaitlin Quevedo

COURT 16 - 11:00AM

1. Chelsea Fontenel v Kayla Cross
2. Dino Prizmic v Tanapatt Nirundorn
3. Ela Nala Milic v Luciana Moyano

COURT 17 - 11:00AM

1. Jack Loutit v Learner Tien
Not Before: 12:30pm
2. Alize Cornet / Diane Parry v Alexa Guarachi / Andreja Klepac
3. Qavia Lopez v Denislava Glushkova
4. Edouard Roger-Vasselin / Alize Cornet v Filip Polasek / Andreja Klepac

TO BE ARRANGED 1 -
Not Before: 4:00pm
1. Nikola Cacic / Aleksandra Krunic leads Kevin Krawietz / Nicole Melichar-Martinez
Not Before: 5:00pm
2. Nicolas Mahut / Shuai Zhang v Jack Sock / Coco Gauff

The Committee, while adhering as closely as possible to the order of play given, is unable to guarantee that it will be maintained in its entirety.
This may result in matches being moved from one court to another. GERRY ARMSTRONG - REFEREE

by ashkor87 Sinner vs Alcaraz sounds like a banner headline for many future majors...really the future of tennis! I am betting on Sinner this time but support both!

by ponchi101 Carlitos is hitting his serve around 120-124 with consistency. I say Carlitos in 4.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am saying Carlitos in a tough one in 4 sets.

by ashkor87 Sinner hits flatter, Alcaraz has a bit too much spin, we have seen already that spin doesnt work too well, yet - it will in the next week but not yet, perhaps. But yes, Alcaraz can certainly win. We shall see.

by ashkor87 still havent been able to watch Bouzkova on grass.. waiting and hoping.

by meganfernandez Anyone giving Van Rijthoven a chance vs Djokovic? He’s undefeated on grass this year! :)

by ponchi101 10%, if he plays lights out. 1/3 chance of taking one set.

by Suliso Ostapenko is serving at 93% so not much for Maria to attack so far.

by ponchi101 So great to see Chrissie on court! And she looks so well. :clap: :clap: :clap:

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:52 pm Ostapenko is serving at 93% so not much for Maria to attack so far.
Super clean match from Alona, but now they are showing the CC ceremony so I can't watch the match. It does seem very uphill for Maria.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:52 pm Ostapenko is serving at 93% so not much for Maria to attack so far.
Super clean match from Alona, but now they are showing the CC ceremony so I can't watch the match. It does seem very uphill for Maria.
Ostapenko is playing great. Almost took off a ballkid’s head with a shot just now, that far wide. I still think Jabeur or Mertens would be a tougher out for Ostapenko. I can’t analyze this match technically (and I’m only half-watching), but Ostapenko does well when she is set. Not sure she would if she has to scramble or get into long rallies. And yeah, she is serving great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by the Moz Decent turnout of former champs for CC celebrations :thumbsup:

by Suliso Of course Jabeur and Mertens would be much tougher as indicated by their respective rankings. :D

by ponchi101 If in 1980 you would have said that John McEnroe would be the MC for the CC Centennial Ceremony, you would have been institutionalized.
How time heals things.
(And yes, I am fine with that).

by Suliso Because of her RG title we might erroneously conclude that clay is Ostapenko's favorite surface. Actually it's grass.

by ponchi101 She has said it. And, if you take that one RG out, her record on clay seems to confirm it. Her record at RG is schizophrenic: 1R, W, 1R, 1R, 3R, 1R, 2R. She won more matches in one year than all other years combined.

by ponchi101 And.... wow. Maria saves two MP (on her serve) and takes the 2nd set. Alona could not keep that high level.
Still: 50% match? Or is somebody now holding an advantage?

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:And.... wow. Maria saves two MP (on her serve) and takes the 2nd set. Alona could not keep that high level.
Still: 50% match? Or is somebody now holding an advantage?
Incredible turnaround from 1-4 in the second set. I think Ostapenko’s serving dropped off. Maria won 85% of her first serve points. Pe lo was 1/4 on break points.

I think 60/40 Ostapenko. On her racket.

by ponchi101 UE's: Maria 2, Alona 18. Their first serves %: 63%, 62%

by Suliso How about winners?

by ponchi101 Maria 10, Alona 13.
You mentioned that Maria used her time from maternity leave to get a one handed BH. Yes, you can tell. That is a learned BH; it is not a natural shot, like Mauresmo's, or currently Parry's. And the topspin BH lacks pace and floats too much. That shot still needs a lot of work.

by meganfernandez Maria holds at love for 4-4, in the blink of an eye. A lot of pressure on Ostapenko right now. She nets a volley on the first point.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Of course Jabeur and Mertens would be much tougher as indicated by their respective rankings. :D
Touché. :) but rankings don’t mean a lot to me in the second week of a Slam. More about form, matchup, experience.

Unbelievable, Maria broke (with help) and is serving for the match.

by Cuckoo4Coco It seems right now from what I have seen in the tournament that Jabeur has been playing some great tennis. I do think that the SF from that side will come down to Jabeur and Ostapenko. If Ostapenko can get by Maria.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:It seems right now from what I have seen in the tournament that Jabeur has been playing some great tennis. I do think that the SF from that side will come down to Jabeur and Ostapenko. If Ostapenko can get by Maria.
Penko just hit some rippers to break back and stay in the match. Terrible serving game from Maria. Only one first serve, double fault, second serve to Penko’s forehand…

by Cuckoo4Coco Then she just lost her serve and Maria will try and serve it out again.

by ponchi101 One of those great stories. Maria, mom to a 7 yo, reaches the QF.
Alona, 57 UE's.
Maria, Niemieir of Watson will make the SF. As I keep saying, OTHER, in any WTA poll, is a very strong pick.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:Then she just lost her serve and Maria will try and serve it out again.
You know after she wanted that 5-4 game back after serving so poorly. And she got it. Didn’t make the same mistake - missed just one first serve in four points.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Maria, Niemieir of Watson will make the SF. As I keep saying, OTHER, in any WTA poll, is a very strong pick.
And no points to show for it. Such a shame.

Fun finish to this match.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:19 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:Then she just lost her serve and Maria will try and serve it out again.
You know after she wanted that 5-4 game back after serving so poorly. And she got it. Didn’t make the same mistake - missed just one first serve in four points.

Great win for her. She looks good to go up against Niemeier or Watson and than against Jabeur, but the way these matches are going I am not counting out Bouzkova.

by ponchi101 Bouzkova made easy work of Garcia. Not an impressive win (Garcia is past her peak) but a score that says she is playing well.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:20 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Maria, Niemieir of Watson will make the SF. As I keep saying, OTHER, in any WTA poll, is a very strong pick.

Imagine what those 720 points would have done for any of those rankings.

by Suliso I guess they'll have to drown their sorrow in all those pounds they're earning :)

by ashkor87 seeing Ostapenko go down, cant help thinking Halep's chances of winning look brighter by the day! Other than Rybakina, who is a bit of an unknown quantity, Halep seems to be the best player left in the draw..

by Suliso Halep is past her prime as well. I'd not put down any money on her anymore...

by Cuckoo4Coco As silly as this sounds, I am hoping this opens up even more of a chance for Amanda Anisimova. If somehow she does get by Halep which will be really tough then she could really set up well. The way that upsets have been happening right and left on the women's side I wouldn't be surprised to see Cornet vs. Bouzkova in the Final. :)

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:35 pm As silly as this sounds, I am hoping this opens up even more of a chance for Amanda Anisimova. If somehow she does get by Halep which will be really tough then she could really set up well. The way that upsets have been happening right and left on the women's side I wouldn't be surprised to see Cornet vs. Bouzkova in the Final. :)
I would LOVE that final. I'm planning to host a Breakfast at Wimbledon party for the women's final and that would be amazing. But Ponchi would be right about "Other" and I don't know if I can take it. :)

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:30 pm seeing Ostapenko go down, cant help thinking Halep's chances of winning look brighter by the day! Other than Rybakina, who is a bit of an unknown quantity, Halep seems to be the best player left in the draw..
Rybakina is the leader in aces in the tour, #10 in first serve percentage, and has a 51.2% wins in 2nd serve. I am not sure if I will put her as a favorite over Halep, but an easy out she will not be.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:27 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:20 pm

Imagine what those 720 points would have done for any of those rankings.
Was hoping someone would keep track of Alternate Rankings this year, if Wimbledon had counted.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:22 pm

Great win for her. She looks good to go up against Niemeier or Watson and than against Jabeur, but the way these matches are going I am not counting out Bouzkova.
I'm not counting out Mertens, either. Not counting out anyone at this point!

by ponchi101 Leo Lavalle explaining that Martina N. was not in the CC ceremony because she is down with C19.

by Suliso Rod Laver on the other hand never misses such opportunities. :)

by ponchi101 But for Martina, very sad. All time most winner, men or women, and she tested positive this morning. Probably was already dressed to go.
9 times singles winner, 6 in a row at one time, 7 times doubles, 3 times mixed. Personally, the greatest champion at WImbledon ever.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:47 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:35 pm As silly as this sounds, I am hoping this opens up even more of a chance for Amanda Anisimova. If somehow she does get by Halep which will be really tough then she could really set up well. The way that upsets have been happening right and left on the women's side I wouldn't be surprised to see Cornet vs. Bouzkova in the Final. :)
I would LOVE that final. I'm planning to host a Breakfast at Wimbledon party for the women's final and that would be amazing. But Ponchi would be right about "Other" and I don't know if I can take it. :)
I really want to see Anisimova make it to the final. Not only is she an American but she is also young. Anisimova vs. Bouzkova would be an awesome final for me. Both players are young and upcoming players.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:52 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:22 pm

I'm not counting out Mertens, either. Not counting out anyone at this point!
I do think Jabeur is the front runner at this point but really anything can happen and it really has so far.

by Suliso Alcaraz not starting well.

by ponchi101 Sinner is playing solid tennis. I said Alcaraz would win in 4, but he will need to totally revamp his game if he is going to pull this one out of the hat.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlitos needs to change things up or he is gonna exit quick and I am gonna a exit the SP as well.

by Suliso Before the match I thought Sinner is a slight favorite. Still think that. Alcaraz might be better overall, but he is likely on his weakest surface here.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:39 pm Before the match I thought Sinner is a slight favorite. Still think that. Alcaraz might be better overall, but he is likely on his weakest surface here.
I really only had two choices I thought going into today's picks for the SP and that was Alcaraz or Norrie. I already selected Tiafoe and I wasn't picking Djokovic. Alcaraz I thought if he won faced Djokovic in the next match and would lose that match. Norrie would have an easier path later on in either facing Tiafoe or Goffin and I could use him later. So I went with Alcaraz. It looks like most people went with Alcaraz today and only 1 with Sinner.

by Cuckoo4Coco The announcer just said a little drizzle coming down. OH NO!!!!!!!!!

by Suliso For me the situation was that no matter what I need Paul to lose (took him very early). Sinner, Tiafoe, Norrie and Goffin were available. Sinner seemed too risky, Norrie would likely beat Goffin/Tiafoe. So it was between Tiafoe and Goffin. I gambled on the former and now they're in set 5...

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:52 pm For me the situation was that no matter what I need Paul to lose (took him very early). Sinner, Tiafoe, Norrie and Goffin were available. Sinner seemed too risky, Norrie would likely beat Goffin/Tiafoe. So it was between Tiafoe and Goffin. I gambled on the former and now they're in set 5...
I picked Tiafoe as my first pick before I really knew how the game worked. So he was long gone. I still think Alcaraz is gonna make a good match out of this one, but really I suppose with every match in the SP from now on they will be hard.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:56 pm ...

I picked Tiafoe as my first pick before I really knew how the game worked. So he was long gone. I still think Alcaraz is gonna make a good match out of this one, but really I suppose with every match in the SP from now on they will be hardER.
Sorry to keep correcting you ;)

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:59 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:56 pm ...

I picked Tiafoe as my first pick before I really knew how the game worked. So he was long gone. I still think Alcaraz is gonna make a good match out of this one, but really I suppose with every match in the SP from now on they will be hardER.
Sorry to keep correcting you ;)
Please keep doing so, I learn that way.

by ponchi101 Nah, if there is one person you do not want to learn from is me. The poster child for re-instituting straight jackets and cold water hoses in mainstream society.
You have the gist of the game by now. Let's see when luck will break your way.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:07 pm Nah, if there is one person you do not want to learn from is me. The poster child for re-instituting straight jackets and cold water hoses in mainstream society.
You have the gist of the game by now. Let's see when luck will break your way.
The one thing I have going for me is I am a hard worker and I love learning. I am one of those kids that actually likes school. :lol:

by Suliso Alcaraz has improved, but Sinner was able to nurture the first game break all the way to 2-0 lead in sets. I wouldn't say it's over yet, but coming back from 0-2 is tough.

by ponchi101 It is not the score, is that Alcaraz seems a bit out. A bit like Iga yesterday (keeping the differences in players).

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:26 pm Alcaraz has improved, but Sinner was able to nurture the first game break all the way to 2-0 lead in sets. I wouldn't say it's over yet, but coming back from 0-2 is tough.
Carlitos is a player that never gives up so it is definitely not over. It is gonna be a tough climb up a long hill for him though to get this done.

by ponchi101 Sinner also DOES NOT have a reputation as a chokers. Yes, not over, way not over, but it looks mighty difficult
Also. We (or at least I) was expecting a much closer match. So far, fairly easy for Sinner.

by ponchi101 Goffin tames Tiafoe. An actually very good match.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:31 pm Sinner also DOES NOT have a reputation as a chokers. Yes, not over, way not over, but it looks mighty difficult
Also. We (or at least I) was expecting a much closer match. So far, fairly easy for Sinner.
Very difficult for sure. If Carlitos can break I would feel better about this set.

by Suliso So far Alcaraz hasn't been able to put much pressure on Sinner's serve. Only one break point and that was very early in the match.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:37 pm So far Alcaraz hasn't been able to put much pressure on Sinner's serve. Only one break point and that was very early in the match.
Until he is able to do that, I think he is going to exit in 3 sets.

by ponchi101 I have always liked Goffin. Not a big player, not a lot of power, yet solid strokes, good mechanics.
A player to learn from, and somebody I think would make a great coach if he ever decides to go that way. A players' player.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlitos had his chances in that chance to break, but it didn't happen. He is hanging in there in this set though.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlitos hanging on by the skin of his teeth and won the 3rd set in a tie breaker.

by jazzyg That was an unbelievable half-volley by Alcaraz.

Sinner tightened up a bit at the end of the set, but he still played well enough to win that one in straights. Let's see how he reacts to having to play a fourth.

by Cuckoo4Coco I think if Carlitos can take this 4th set he is gonna win this match.

Also a side note if this match does go the distance and Novak's match goes long it definitely will not finish tonight.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:For me the situation was that no matter what I need Paul to lose (took him very early). Sinner, Tiafoe, Norrie and Goffin were available. Sinner seemed too risky, Norrie would likely beat Goffin/Tiafoe. So it was between Tiafoe and Goffin. I gambled on the former and now they're in set 5...
My gut was saying Goffin and I regret not taking that risk. Alcaraz seemed like a more sure thing. Ugh.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:15 pm
Suliso wrote:For me the situation was that no matter what I need Paul to lose (took him very early). Sinner, Tiafoe, Norrie and Goffin were available. Sinner seemed too risky, Norrie would likely beat Goffin/Tiafoe. So it was between Tiafoe and Goffin. I gambled on the former and now they're in set 5...
My gut was saying Goffin and I regret not taking that risk. Alcaraz seemed like a more sure thing. Ugh.

That last game for Carlitos to break right back I think was his chance, but it was not meant to be. I think me and my mom will be heading to the pub shortly. :lol:

by Suliso Seems like the fat lady is about to sing for Carlitos.

by Cuckoo4Coco Carlitos is gonna make him serve it out.

by jazzyg Well-deserved win for Sinner.

He was clearly the better player in all four sets today. Like Megan, my initial instinct was to take Goffin, but that was a total 50-50 match and played out that way. No regrets, other than just being plain wrong in sussing out the Sinner-Alcaraz matchup. Should have heeded Suliso's advice.

by Cuckoo4Coco Definitely two great players for the future and a great win for Sinner.

by Suliso Happy that Sinner won. It has been some time since he beat someone very good. Do we think he has any chance at all versus Djokovic?

by Cuckoo4Coco
Suliso wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:44 pm Happy that Sinner won. It has been some time since he beat someone very good. Do we think he has any chance at all versus Djokovic?
Yikes, I doubt it.

by ponchi101 If he serves extremely well. He has the strokes, but what I wonder about them is that he always hit the same ball and, against Novak, that gives him too much time to get used to them.
Ons-Elise. A damn good match, and if Ons wins in two, the score will not totally reflect how close it was. Torn, because I really like Elise.

by Cuckoo4Coco It was a very tough match for Jabeur. Definitely the toughest one so far for Ons Jabeur. She has got to be the favorite to win this whole thing.

by ponchi101 Ons reaches #2, and of course, that will be the least important thing if she wins the tournament. Most successful female player ever to come out of Africa? I am trying to recall other players, and can only think of Coetzer and Cara Black.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:19 pm Ons reaches #2, and of course, that will be the least important thing if she wins the tournament. Most successful female player ever to come out of Africa? I am trying to recall other players, and can only think of Coetzer and Cara Black.
Me neither, but it's a very small list. For men too.

by ponchi101 If she wins it, she will be the second most successful player out of the continent, male or female. Only Johan Kriek, with two Aussies (early 80's) would be ahead. She would pass K. Anderson, who has made two slam finals, and K. Curren, with 1 Wimby final.

by ponchi101 They had not shown Ritjhoven here before. Gorgeous BH, smooth strokes.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

That last game for Carlitos to break right back I think was his chance, but it was not meant to be. I think me and my mom will be heading to the pub shortly. :lol:
Save me a stool!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:14 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

Save me a stool!

You got it, but after I saw what they served up a full roasted baby pig and some sort of drink . I went across the street to the McDonalds for a Big Mac and Fries. :lol:

by Cuckoo4Coco Van Rijthoven has just even the match up with Djokovic.

by ponchi101 A tough hold, especially after that silly drop shot that could have won him the set. But he kept playing, and managed it.
I don't think that he can win, but this is exactly what Novak does not want. A very late Sunday finish. The rhythm for Tuesday may be disrupted.
And the crowd is cheering for Rijthoven, a lot.

by ti-amie

by Cuckoo4Coco After van Rijthoven won that 2nd set it has been all Novak in the 3rd.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm After van Rijthoven won that 2nd set it has been all Novak in the 3rd.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by Cuckoo4Coco I wanted to mention the Centre Court 100 year celebration today as I thought it was a very well done and awesome celebration. Many of those past champions that came back, I have never seen play unless I viewed them on video. What Novak and Roger and Billie Jean King said though really was what I thought was really most important in the entire celebration. When they all talked about the players that paved the way for them and mentioned players like Pete Sampras and Martina and even when Novak said he feels so honored to be standing here with all of these past champions and he was more nervous there than playing on Centre Court. This is what it is all about. The legacy of players and those who pave the way and those players we all look up to. That is why I look up to these tennis players. Even Coco Gauff who is only 2 years old then me, I look up to her because of what she has already accomplished in her tennis career at a very young age. It gives me inspiration.

That is what it is all about and I thought the celebration was amazing to showcase these champions from the past.

by ponchi101 It brought a smile, and I am not very fond of celebrations. To me, three big people were missing: Navs, who could not be there due to C19, Steffi and Sampras. Pete was, to me, such a special player at W because he played the style that I thought was "correct" (my bias, there is no correct way to play tennis other than the one that gets the ball in one time more than your opponent), and both him and Graf personified grace on the surface.
I wish they had been there. 7-time champions should have made the trip.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:48 am It brought a smile, and I am not very fond of celebrations. To me, three big people were missing: Navs, who could not be there due to C19, Steffi and Sampras. Pete was, to me, such a special player at W because he played the style that I thought was "correct" (my bias, there is no correct way to play tennis other than the one that gets the ball in one time more than your opponent), and both him and Graf personified grace on the surface.
Another player I was shocked wasn't there was Serena Williams who was just there playing.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:06 am ...

Another player I was shocked wasn't there was Serena Williams who was just there playing.
Now that you mention her. Indeed, a big gap in that lineup.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:28 pm It is not the score, is that Alcaraz seems a bit out. A bit like Iga yesterday (keeping the differences in players).
Yes, I got the same impression..like his heart wasn't really into it..

by ashkor87 Of course I had expected Sinner to win anyway ..it may be that both Alcaraz and Swiatek could tell even in practice that their game wasn't going to work on grass so got discouraged before they even stepped onto the turf...

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:17 am Of course I had expected Sinner to win anyway ..it may be that both Alcaraz and Swiatek could tell even in practice that their game wasn't going to work on grass so got discouraged before they even stepped onto the turf...
I just don't understand that way of thinking at all. I really think every player that enters into the draw feels they are going to win every match, especially the higher ranked players. If they have that attitude then why enter the tournament at all.

Also in the case of Swiatek who was on a 38 match win streak and everyone in her camp and all over the place telling her she is the one that is going to take this title for sure was discouraged at all with her game and her capabilities even on grass? You have to be kidding me. She was on a roll and a super high. She was not discouraged about anything in her game. She just got beat that day by someone who played a better game that particular day. Possibly 9 out of 10 other times they play she would have won.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:48 am It brought a smile, and I am not very fond of celebrations. To me, three big people were missing: Navs, who could not be there due to C19, Steffi and Sampras. Pete was, to me, such a special player at W because he played the style that I thought was "correct" (my bias, there is no correct way to play tennis other than the one that gets the ball in one time more than your opponent), and both him and Graf personified grace on the surface.
Couldn't believe Sampras wasn't there. Then Steffi and Agassi. Then Seles. Then Serena. Guess Serena didn't want to stick around.

Do you think everyone was invited?

by New England Nitemare
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:49 am
Couldn't believe Sampras wasn't there. Then Steffi and Agassi. Then Seles. Then Serena. Guess Serena didn't want to stick around.

Yes, was definitely surprised that Sampras, Steffi and Agassi were not there. i guess Serena left London after she lost in the 1st round.

Seles never won Wimbledon, she got to the finals once and lost to Steffi.

by Cuckoo4Coco The one guy that was there and was really old was Rod Laver. A true legend of the game and even though I don't know anything about his game or him as a player other than he was called "The Rocket" it was great to see him there.

by ashkor87
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:30 am
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:17 am Of course I had expected Sinner to win anyway ..it may be that both Alcaraz and Swiatek could tell even in practice that their game wasn't going to work on grass so got discouraged before they even stepped onto the turf...
I just don't understand that way of thinking at all. I really think every player that enters into the draw feels they are going to win every match, especially the higher ranked players. If they have that attitude then why enter the tournament at all.

Also in the case of Swiatek who was on a 38 match win streak and everyone in her camp and all over the place telling her she is the one that is going to take this title for sure was discouraged at all with her game and her capabilities even on grass? You have to be kidding me. She was on a roll and a super high. She was not discouraged about anything in her game. She just got beat that day by someone who played a better game that particular day. Possibly 9 out of 10 other times they play she would have won.
Swiatek said so herself! It is PC to say players always think they can win but self-doubt is human, everyone is subject to it.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:49 am ...

Yes. Whatever you may think of the British, they are good (very good) at protocol. Even if Serena had not been invited (which is very doubtful), she could have shown up and say "Tell them Serena is here". She would have walked out to a huge ovation.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:07 am

Swiatek said so herself! It is PC to say players always think they can win but self-doubt is human, everyone is subject to it.
Of course everyone has a little self doubt, but as a professional player or any player to go into a tournament and say well I am entering this tournament , but there is no way I am going to win it is just ridiculous.

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:49 amCouldn't believe Sampras wasn't there. Then Steffi and Agassi. Then Seles. Then Serena. Guess Serena didn't want to stick around. Do you think everyone was invited?
Monica Seles never won a Wimbledon title- just one Wimbledon final, against Graf.

Sad that Virginia Wade wasn't there.

by nelslus
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:02 amThe one guy that was there and was really old was Rod Laver. A true legend of the game and even though I don't know anything about his game or him as a player other than he was called "The Rocket" it was great to see him there.
My challenge to you: There is much available match coverage via YouTube, if you do some digging- sometimes coverage with full matches- of many of the greats that were there today. Some even have written books- and some, such as Billie Jean King, McEnroe and Agassi, have written excellent books. Watch, read when you can. There is so much to be learned. Watch the ways that Martina, Laver, Billie Jean King, Sampras, McEnroe, Edberg, and Becker hit volleys- all of them were far better at volleys then the great majority of current players. Borg and Evert had incredible groundstrokes. Some of the former greats had service techniques that were incredible. On and on I could go. And, while of course the game has changed- too few current players have taken the time to study the greats. Very telling that this is not the case with Federer, Nadal, Novak, the Sisters, and a lot of the current true greats. (It has always killed me that Petra, at least to the best of my knowledge, has never taken the time with Navratilova- her countrywoman- to get tips on how to volley. And I remember Martina saying during past matches that she was available for this.)

by Cuckoo4Coco
nelslus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:36 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:02 amThe one guy that was there and was really old was Rod Laver. A true legend of the game and even though I don't know anything about his game or him as a player other than he was called "The Rocket" it was great to see him there.
My challenge to you: There is much available match coverage via YouTube, if you do some digging- sometimes coverage with full matches- of many of the greats that were there today. Some even have written books- and some, such as Billie Jean King, McEnroe and Agassi, have written excellent books. Watch, read when you can. There is so much to be learned. Watch the ways that Martina, Laver, Billie Jean King, Sampras, McEnroe, Edberg, and Becker hit volleys- all of them were far better at volleys then the great majority of current players. Borg and Evert had incredible groundstrokes. Some of the former greats had service techniques that were incredible. On and on I could go. And, while of course the game has changed- too few current players have taken the time to study the greats. Very telling that this is not the case with Federer, Nadal, Novak, the Sisters, and a lot of the current true greats. (It has always killed me that Petra, at least to the best of my knowledge, has never taken the time with Navratilova- her countrywoman- to get tips on how to volley. And I remember Martina saying during past matches that she was available for this.)
I will definitely do this and thanx. I love learning about the game in any way possible.

by nelslus
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:44 amI will definitely do this and thanx. I love learning about the game in any way possible.
And I promise you- you'll enjoy so much watching these players.

AND- here's a starter book recommendation I make to everyone- This book is extremely well-written, funny, moving, dishy, at times brutally honest, and all about the women's tour in 1973. It also pissed off some players- most especially BIllie Jean King- for reasons that will become very, very apparent if you ever get to read this book. The book might be available in your local library- Grace Lichtenstein's "A long way, baby: Behind the scenes in women's pro tennis".

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 am

Of course everyone has a little self doubt, but as a professional player or any player to go into a tournament and say well I am entering this tournament , but there is no way I am going to win it is just ridiculous.
This is one of the reasons I like Leylah so much...
After she beat Osaka at the U.S. Open last year, she was asked in the post match on-court interview "At what point did you believe you could actually win this match?"
Her deadpan answer was "When I was in the locker room before the match."

It reminded me of, back in 2019, after she'd lost in the Final of a 60k Challenger, she was asked what her hopes are for the 1000 tournament in Toronto a couple of weeks later...
16 year old Leylah replied: "Well, my goal is to win the tournament."
Great stuff.

Unfortunately, if they were to give an honest response to such a question, too many players today would say "My goal is to play as long as absolutely everything is perfect. But if I feel the slightest degree of discomfort, or if it's no longer convenient for me to play - I'll quit."

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:36 am ... (It has always killed me that Petra, at least to the best of my knowledge, has never taken the time with Navratilova- her countrywoman- to get tips on how to volley. And I remember Martina saying during past matches that she was available for this.)
I hadn't heard that story. Actually, kind of short sighted from Petra. All the ones that you mentioned were indeed great volleyers but, to me, the pinnacle of evolution in volleying was Martina, men's or women's. I could not think of somebody better to emulate.
It is sort of that offer that Roddick publicly made to Brooksby, to work together one week on Jenson's serve. Did he take it up? I know he has changed his serve a bit, but one has to admit that some tips about serving by Roddick should always be welcomed. So if he did not fly one week to Austin... shortsighted too.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:34 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:26 am
This is one of the reasons I like Leylah so much...
After she beat Osaka at the U.S. Open last year, she was asked in the post match on-court interview "At what point did you believe you could actually win this match?"
Her deadpan answer was "When I was in the locker room before the match."

It reminded me of, back in 2019, after she'd lost in the Final of a 60k Challenger, she was asked what her hopes are for the 1000 tournament in Toronto a couple of weeks later...
16 year old Leylah replied: "Well, my goal is to win the tournament."
Great stuff.

Unfortunately, if they were to give an honest response to such a question, too many players today would say "My goal is to play as long as absolutely everything is perfect. But if I feel the slightest degree of discomfort, or if it's no longer convenient for me to play - I'll quit."
I do think players have to look out for their bodies and if injuries are part of it but I really think if they are fully healthy entering a tournament their goal is to win it.

by ti-amie Sampras rarely attends these things. They got him to come once for Federer surpassing him at Wimbledon (?) and he arrived late if I recall correctly and talked to his wife the entire match.

by ponchi101 Sampras and Steffi simply never show up. I gather they know what they did, they are satisfied with who they are. Good for them.
Still, he is a 7 times champion, with some incredible records here. NEVER lost a final, and in seven total matches, he was broken THREE TIMES. This place was his for a considerable time. It would have been nice to see him.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:16 pm Sampras and Steffi simply never show up. I gather they know what they did, they are satisfied with who they are. Good for them.
Still, he is a 7 times champion, with some incredible records here. NEVER lost a final, and in seven total matches, he was broken THREE TIMES. This place was his for a considerable time. It would have been nice to see him.
I guess it does come down to what the player wants to do and all, but really sometimes it is not always about the player. This was about more than that. It was about the event. The Centre Court tradition and most of all the fans. 90 some percent of those players I didn't know who they were or never saw a single accomplishment they achieved on Centre Court. That didn't matter to me at all watching that. I knew one thing. They were past champions of the game I love and some of the newer players that were there also got it even just standing there with them. That is what it was all about. Not really about any one single player or anything like that but the event and Centre Court itself. Those players like Steffi Graf and Pete Sampras were a huge part of the event and Centre Court and I do agree they both should have been there along with Serena. Now Martina if she had Covid that is a whole other ballgame but no excuses for the other players.