'22 Wimbledon Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: '22 Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I am watching the Luca Udvardy and Alexis Blokhina Juniors match. Luca is 16 years old just like me and Alexis is 17. Watching the match I think I could actually hit with these girls and make a match of it. I don't know if I would win and probably not, but I certainly would not make a fool out of myself against either of them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

We have told you. At 16, your tennis peak is far, far away. It is not inconceivable that you will be playing the best tennis of your life in double your current lifespan (at 32).
Your coach is your coach. He will guide you. But yours is a bit of an age in which you have to decide what you want your game to be. Many greats ones were not excellent juniors, because they were looking ahead. "I don't want to win now, I want to win later". Sampras and Edberg changed from 2 handed BH's to 1 handed, because they knew that at the pro level the needed a one handed for their serve and volley game.
What and how do you want to play in 2 years? In 4? At age 24, when you will be also out of college (graduated already). Little things that you may start considering, in your spare time.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:25 pm We have told you. At 16, your tennis peak is far, far away. It is not inconceivable that you will be playing the best tennis of your life in double your current lifespan (at 32).
Your coach is your coach. He will guide you. But yours is a bit of an age in which you have to decide what you want your game to be. Many greats ones were not excellent juniors, because they were looking ahead. "I don't want to win now, I want to win later". Sampras and Edberg changed from 2 handed BH's to 1 handed, because they knew that at the pro level the needed a one handed for their serve and volley game.
What and how do you want to play in 2 years? In 4? At age 24, when you will be also out of college (graduated already). Little things that you may start considering, in your spare time.
I do know one thing. I want to go to college and play 4 years of tennis there and see how my tennis progresses. Then at that time I will decide what I am gonna do.

It does feel good though to look at these girls playing Juniors that are my age and see what sort of games they have and know I am really not that far off and could easily give them a game.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You have spoken about it and, at least from me, you will not find any detraction to your plan. It sounds doable, achievable and responsible.
But, I was talking about something a bit different. HOW do you want to play in 4 years? Do you want to be an attaching baseliner? (Anisimova). A counter puncher? (Halep). Do you have the size and power to dominate the points from the back (Sabalenka) and want to work on that? What do you want to be able to do when inside the service boxes? Do you want to be a finesse artist? (Jabeur).
Strokes wise, what are your short, medium and long term goals?
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

After De Minaur attacks on Djokovic (trying to justify the actions of his gvmt pre Australian Open), he is forever on my "want to lose" list. So, yay Cristian Garin )) Good job!!!

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:58 pm You have spoken about it and, at least from me, you will not find any detraction to your plan. It sounds doable, achievable and responsible.
But, I was talking about something a bit different. HOW do you want to play in 4 years? Do you want to be an attaching baseliner? (Anisimova). A counter puncher? (Halep). Do you have the size and power to dominate the points from the back (Sabalenka) and want to work on that? What do you want to be able to do when inside the service boxes? Do you want to be a finesse artist? (Jabeur).
Strokes wise, what are your short, medium and long term goals?
My game resembles more of a counter puncher that moves around the court really well and moves my opponent around the court. Similar to Simona Halep. I do not have the size and power of a Sabalenka to dominate any player off the court. That is for sure. I work on my strength, but at the age of 16 and my mom is not really tall and big herself I doubt I have that on my side. I do see myself as more of a baseline player than a volley/net player. I guess you could also say I throw in a little finesse in my play as well because I really cannot over power my opponents.

My short term goals are to win a Girls Private School Championship either in my 11th grade year or 12th grade year. My medium range goals are to choose a university that has an Environmental Engineering program and begin my studies there and also play tennis at that school. My long term goals is to play in whatever Division College Championships my university is in and win and also graduate with a degree from that college. After that I will evaluate where I am with my tennis and my growth in the game and decide if the tour is something I feel is right for me or I go into the career I studied for. Either way I feel I set up well for my future and that is what it is all about.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Alize cramping badly.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

:freaking: :yahoo: Amanda moves onto the QF's to face Simona Halep.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

My predictions for tomorrow's matches
Marie over Niemeier
Jabeur over Bouzkova
Norrie over Goffin
Djokovic over Sinner
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I think Niemeier will beat Marie.

Agree with the others.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:53 pm I think Niemeier will beat Marie.

Agree with the others.
That one will be tough.

I also just noticed that Alize Cornet is scheduled to be right back onto the court to play Mixed Doubles QF in 15 minutes against Coco Gauff and Jack Sock. That is a really quick turn around and someone said she was cramping.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She was barely able to walk by the end of the match. Match point was an attempt of a drop shot, that made it to the other side, and then he took two more steps towards the net and stood there.
If she goes out on court, it will be borderline miraculous.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:02 pm She was barely able to walk by the end of the match. Match point was an attempt of a drop shot, that made it to the other side, and then he took two more steps towards the net and stood there.
If she goes out on court, it will be borderline miraculous.
I will keep an eye on the match and see if they actually default the match.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Alize Cornet is a tough cookie. She is out there for the Mixed Doubles match against Coco Gauff & Jack Sock.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

This is a surprisingly pathetic performance by Van De Zandschulp.