2022 Wimbledon SDP: Updated ATP Picks and Results

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

2022 Wimbledon SDP: Updated ATP Picks and Results

Post by dave g »

Congratulations to the 15 people who made it to the update picks and results thread.

ajstew GRIEKSPOOR OTTE 32 SONEGO 27 PAUL 30 VAN DE ZANDSCHULP GOFFIN FRITZ NORRIE Kyrgios
andre8735 Basilashvili Krajonovic Kecmanovic Garin Paul Nakashima Norrie Fritz Goffin
bankerb4 VESELY BAUTISTA AGUT OTTE SONEGO NORRIE NAKASHIMA DJOKOVIC FRITZ GOFFIN
Bismarck Opelka Reilly. de Minaur Alex. Otte Oscar. Kubler Jason. van Rijthoven Nakashima Norrie Fritz Goffin
CyborgShoes Vesely Thompson Kecmanovic Sonego Paul Nakashima Norrie Fritz Goffin
Eskimo53 KOKKINAKIS SOCK KECMANOVIC Sonego GOFFIN Nakashima NORRIE DE MINAUR
Fastbackss Tiafoe De Minaur Otte Fritz Paul Nakashima Norrie Kyrgios Goffin
Michelle_fenlon Isner Bonzi Kecmanovic Van De Zandschulp Van Rijthoven Nakashima Norrie De Minaur
Naughtyboiosu PAUL Bonzi Otte GARIN Norrie Nakashima Djokovic Fritz Goffin
Pjstew MURRAY KRAJINOVIC OTTE DE MINAUR ALCARAZ VAN DE ZANDSCHULP Goffin Fritz NORRIE Kyrgios
ptmcmahon Paul Brooksby KECMANOVIC SONEGO ALCARAZ NAKASHIMA Sinner Fritz Norrie Kyrgios
rktct2b PAUL Bonzi Otte Sonego Alcaraz VAN DE ZANDSCHULP Norrie De Minaur
ron@tennisreporters VAN RIJTHOVEN NAKASHIMA KECMANOVIC GARIN PAUL VAN DE ZANDSCHULP NORRIE KYRGIOS GOFFIN
SoulCandy93 MANNARINO KRAJINOVIC OTTE GARIN PAUL FRITZ NORRIE DE MINAUR
TheCalmness VAN RIJTHOVEN THOMPSON KECMANOVIC SONEGO ALCARAZ NAKASHIMA GOFFIN DE MINAUR

Honorary_medal

Re: 2022 Wimbledon SDP: Updated ATP Picks and Results

Post by dave g »

Day 8 Pick Summary

Start 15
No Picks 0
Left 15

Frits 8
de Minaur 5
Kyrgios 2

Start 15
Alive 10
Dead 5
in LImbo 0
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Down to 10.
:steven:
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

The Garin Machine knocks out the Aussie and takes 3 with him. :)
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Good thing I lost yesterday because right now is the first time I've realized they no longer divide the men's and women's draws for the second week. I knew Manic Monday was gone but thought there was only one extra pick, with all the men's quarters on Wednesday and the semis on Friday and the women's quarters on Tuesday followed by the women's semis on Thursday.

I would already have boxed myself into a hole I could not get out of.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:44 pm The Garin Machine knocks out the Aussie and takes 3 with him. :)
The frustration of this game. I thrice went to change my pick to Garin but didn't have the fortitude to do so...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Fastbackss wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:44 pm The Garin Machine knocks out the Aussie and takes 3 with him. :)
The frustration of this game. I thrice went to change my pick to Garin but didn't have the fortitude to do so...
That is a tough one, but it also looks like you made it really tough with already picking Fritz the time before.

I looked over my pick of Alcaraz that knocked me out. My alternative pick on that day would have been Norrie. He of course won. That is all great. Then in these matches I would have picked Fritz. It then would have come back to either picking Norrie or Djokovic. I wouldn't have been able to pick Norrie because I already did and would have ended up having to pick Djokovic. This is where the problem starts. So I already used Kyrgios and I would have used Fritz as well. So that leaves either Nadal or Garin. I would be stupid not to pick Nadal. This is where it ends for me. The remaining players are Djokovic, Norrie, Kyrgios, & Nadal. I used them all.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Playing the game of "What I could have done?" usually leads to madness.
When I play that one, it invariably leads to "If I had not clicked that link in the Jon Wertheim's 2004 Roland Garros report, I would not be suffering this thing, 8 times a year". ;)
Seriously. Soon after I joined TAT1.0, I started wondering a bit about how tough this really is. We worked it out, and it is really difficult as hell to beat the draw. Something like "1 in several Millions" chance. Of course, SOMEBODY (or bodies) has to win the pool; whomever stands at the end wins it. But in 6 slams already, since the re-start with TAT2.0, only one person has beat ONE draw. Twelve pools already, around 180 players in each. Only one has beaten the draw. It is super hard.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:44 pm Playing the game of "What I could have done?" usually leads to madness.
When I play that one, it invariably leads to "If I had not clicked that link in the Jon Wertheim's 2004 Roland Garros report, I would not be suffering this thing, 8 times a year". ;)
Seriously. Soon after I joined TAT1.0, I started wondering a bit about how tough this really is. We worked it out, and it is really difficult as hell to beat the draw. Something like "1 in several Millions" chance. Of course, SOMEBODY (or bodies) has to win the pool; whomever stands at the end wins it. But in 6 slams already, since the re-start with TAT2.0, only one person has beat ONE draw. Twelve pools already, around 180 players in each. Only one has beaten the draw. It is super hard.
I really just did that to see if I stood any chance at beating the whole thing, but it wouldn't have worked. The game is extremely fun and I can't wait til the US Open one starts. I can't believe though that when the US Open is going on for most of it I will be back in school. School starts back for me September 1st. It is weird to think the Summer will go that fast.

I see you have won the SP 3 times, but I guess that was not by beating the draw completely?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have never beaten the draw. And, this year, Wimbledon became more difficult than ever. You see, until last year, all QF's (for each draw) were played in one day. So you really only needed 11 correct picks: 8 days until the QF (2 days per round), and then one pick for QF, one for SF and one for F. This year they split the QF's, so you need 12 correct picks.
At RG, next year, you will see the most difficult SP. Starting on a first Sunday, RG goes for 15 days, which means 13 picks. It is tougher than all the rest because 1R gets split into three sessions so, if you survive those, you have already burnt three players, and you are not even in the second round. It is super tough.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I and two others beat the men's draw at Wimbledon last year.

But it was a little easier than Ponch said because the round of 16 was all played on one day, too. You had to get six picks right in the first week and four in the second week for a total of 10. That took the element of blind luck out of it that is required in all of the others, with RG requiring a 13th pick since its first round extends over three days. I beat the draw at the Aussie Open once in the 1.0 version, and it required Almagro to fail to serve out a match three times in a row against Ferrer along the way.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I didn't record that you (and yes, two more) had beaten the draw. Txs, I updated that cell in the HALL OF FAME count.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Today's picks:

7 - Goffin
3 - Norrie

My Sinner pick is now looking not as good - I'm the only one who's used him so I won't be able to beat draw if he closes this out. Everyone else had picked either Goffin or Norrie already and picked the other one - so will all have a pick on this half left at least.
:steven:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:15 pm Today's picks:

7 - Goffin
3 - Norrie

My Sinner pick is now looking not as good - I'm the only one who's used him so I won't be able to beat draw if he closes this out. Everyone else had picked either Goffin or Norrie already and picked the other one - so will all have a pick on this half left at least.
Not quite over for Novak yet as he is up in the 3rd set a break.

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Day 9 Pick Summary:

Start 10
No Picks 0
Left 10

Goffin 7
Norrie 3

Start 10
Alive 3
Dead 7
In Limbo 0

Not suprisingly, all of the picks are from one match.