'22 Wimbledon Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:36 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:01 pm I know I've said this before, but Rybakina was on a roll in early 2020 before the shutdown. She was one of the hottest players on tour. I always felt Covid hurt her more than a lot of people in terms of momentum. Nice to see her get a great result like this.

Welp, no Ajla/Nick reunion at the Champions Ball.
I am not really a B- word person , but if I was Alja and that was the first question and the questions from the journalists my response would have been if you have any questions about my tennis match I will gladly answer those. If not then this is over.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Rafa played a fantastic match in the fourth and fifth sets except for his obviously compromised serve. He was winning baseline rallies that Fritz would have won against anyone not named Djokovic. Fritz played well from start to finish and missed a few key shots that would have put him over the top--particularly when he had a real opportunity to take a two-sets-to-none lead, but it was hardly a case of Fritz's game disintegrating like Sinner's did yesterday

I do think Fritz would have beaten Kyrgios, but we'll never get to find out now. In this tournament, watching both of them play, Fritz has looked a little better to me. Kyrgios almost lost in the first round and went five sets in the fourth round against guys Fritz would have taken out in straights. Their match would have come down to a few key points, and I trust Fritz more in those situations than Kyrgios.

The Kyrgios-Rafa match will depend on how compromised Raft is on serve. I don't think he will get away with serving around 100 miles per hour on the first serve because there is no way he will break Kyrgios as many times as he did Fritz, but we know he will give everything he has and more to beat his least favorite player on tour. I guess I lean to Kyrgios, but I have no real feel for that outcome.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:04 pm ...

I am not really a B- word person , but if I was Alja and that was the first question and the questions from the journalists my response would have been if you have any questions about my tennis match I will gladly answer those. If not then this is over.
But aren't we, as a society, sending a mix message?
1. Domestic violence has to be talked about, and exposed. It affects too many people (mostly women). People that are violent to partners must be identified, and then punished accordingly.
But
2. A person that was the partner of another person accused of domestic violence is asked about such former partner. The person is offended, because THE PRESS is asking the "wrong" question. Why are they asking that question? Because, as a former partner of the accused, you may have something to say.
Imagine the following: Ajla, after asked the question, answers truthfully: (AGAIN, THIS DID NOT, NOT, NOT happen, it is just a hypothetical): "Yes, Nick has a violent temper towards his partners, and I experienced that". (DID NOT HAPPEN). Now the situation changes. The reporter has found an important set of information. Ajla, HAD THIS SCENARIO BEEN REAL, perhaps would finally find a venue and a time to talk about something that would be of importance.
I am not a journalist. But, I don't think that good, balanced, proper, pertinent investigative journalism happens when a box with all the info is delivered to your desk, notes annotated, verifiable evidence included. Investigative journalism involves asking a lot, and it must be a lot, of impertinent questions, most of which will lead nowhere. But the few that lead to proper news are important.
It is a job of percentages. And I wonder if the unfortunate stories of Jelena Dokic, Mary Pierce and Mirjana Lucic would have been told earlier if one impertinent reporter had asked them, flat out, "Is your father an abusive person?". In a room full of reporters, even if those women had lied, somebody would have noticed. Help, maybe, would have arrived sooner.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:43 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:04 pm ...

But aren't we, as a society, sending a mix message?
1. Domestic violence has to be talked about, and exposed. It affects too many people (mostly women). People that are violent to partners must be identified, and then punished accordingly.
But
2. A person that was the partner of another person accused of domestic violence is asked about such former partner. The person is offended, because THE PRESS is asking the "wrong" question. Why are they asking that question? Because, as a former partner of the accused, you may have something to say.
Imagine the following: Ajla, after asked the question, answers truthfully: (AGAIN, THIS DID NOT, NOT, NOT happen, it is just a hypothetical): "Yes, Nick has a violent temper towards his partners, and I experienced that". (DID NOT HAPPEN). Now the situation changes. The reporter has found an important set of information. Ajla, HAD THIS SCENARIO BEEN REAL, perhaps would finally find a venue and a time to talk about something that would be of importance.
I am not a journalist. But, I don't think that good, balanced, proper, pertinent investigative journalism happens when a box with all the info is delivered to your desk, notes annotated, verifiable evidence included. Investigative journalism involves asking a lot, and it must be a lot, of impertinent questions, most of which will lead nowhere. But the few that lead to proper news are important.
It is a job of percentages. And I wonder if the unfortunate stories of Jelena Dokic, Mary Pierce and Mirjana Lucic would have been told earlier if one impertinent reporter had asked them, flat out, "Is your father an abusive person?". In a room full of reporters, even if those women had lied, somebody would have noticed. Help, maybe, would have arrived sooner.
The thing is this is after a TENNIS MATCH and not some news event. These journalists are supposed to be there to ask questions about the tennis match that the player had just played and the upcoming match ahead. The players are not obligated to answer personal questions at all really and they shouldn't have to. If they want to talk about it that is all fine, but it is in their court to bring personal stuff out in the open.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I am a journalist, and I agree with Ponch on this one.

The way the question is worded and when it is asked are significant--that should not have been the first question because there is much less chance of it being answered then it it came after a few soft tennis questions--but tennis players completely insulate themselves from reporters. The ONLY chance to ask them that question is right after a match because they are not granting one-one-one interviews to anyone unless the questions are pre-screened or certain topics are forbidden. Players in professional team sports do not have this option without risking a fine because there are mandatory interview sessions where their presence is required.

The media is not there to be the player's friend. This is a similar debate I had with people on the old board when they took exception to Konta being asked about choking in a match when she clearly choked. Yes, that was tennis related and this wasn't, but players seem to expect that they only be asked positive questions. That's not supposed to the reporter's role. Tomljanovic is in a clear position to comment on Kyrgios considering their past relationship. If she does not want to answer, all she has to do is say no comment.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:10 pm I am a journalist, and I agree with Ponch on this one.

The way the question is worded and when it is asked are significant--that should not have been the first question because there is much less chance of it being answered then it it came after a few soft tennis questions--but tennis players completely insulate themselves from reporters. The ONLY chance to ask them that question is right after a match because they are not granting one-one-one interviews to anyone unless the questions are pre-screened or certain topics are forbidden. Players in professional team sports do not have this option without risking a fine because there are mandatory interview sessions where their presence is required.

The media is not there to be the player's friend. This is a similar debate I had with people on the old board when they took exception to Konta being asked about choking in a match when she clearly choked. Yes, that was tennis related and this wasn't, but players seem to expect that they only be asked positive questions. That's not supposed to the reporter's role. Tomljanovic is in a clear position to comment on Kyrgios considering their past relationship. If she does not want to answer, all she has to do is say no comment.
You are correct in the timing of the question was not right and also players should not go into an interview expecting to receive only positive tennis related questions. I do believe that since they have just completed a tennis match and played that match for hours in some cases those should be the basis of the questions. I mean a player isn't expecting to go into a tennis interview and receive a question that is off the wall even if they were in a relationship with Nick Kyrgios. There were no allegations from her being assaulted so why ask her the question? I truly think it is a journalist just trying to stir up something and I don't think that is right.

True the journalist is not going into the interview to be the player's best friend, but why does the player have to be the journalist's best friend? If they get a question that is off the wall then they can do what they want with the question. They can dismiss it answer it, or end the interview completely if the question is completely out there.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Last thing I will "add".
You mentioned Deshaun Watson earlier. One person brought forth the "issues" surrounding him. And, all of the sudden, the damn burst. It is a pattern with abusers; they do nor abuse ONE person, and never again. All recent abuse scandals have usually ended up with a line of women/abused people coming forward and saying "me too".
I AM NOT IN THE BELIEF THAT NICK DID ANYTHING. Yet. I want to see the evidence. But, one person has opened her mouth. It is the journalists role to find out which of the three possible truths is the one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So what was Ajla to do? The question to me is in the category of "so when did you stop beating your wife?"

It was a tacky question and one asked to try and get her to dish on her personal life which she, despite her very public dating choices, is, in the end, no one's business.

Yes the reporter had every right to ask the question. And Ajla had every right to be ticked off about it. There was no way for her to answer that would not have led to follow up questions.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I agree with ti-amie here. The reporters have every right to ask whatever question they want, but the players also have every right to deny giving any sort of answer to any questions they do not want to.

The reporters knew exactly what they were doing asking that question and that was stirring the pot around a personal situation that had absolutely nothing to do with tennis other than it involves a tennis player.

You let the court systems figure out this sort of stuff and the police investigators ask those questions if they have cause to do so. Not some sports journalist.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:35 pm Not looking good for Nadal. I think Fritz will win this fourth set and the match.
^ And I thought you were the only person on this message board, other than myself, who NEVER doubted or gave up on Nadal; who realized that he has the extra gear when needed; the incredible level of drive and determination that he simply does not see losing as an option...!
But you gave up on him here.
Shame on you!

In case history somehow hasn't made it crystal clear by now:
The ONLY time to give up on the possibility of Nadal winning ANY match is AFTER HE HAS OFFICIALLY LOST THE MATCH.
Until that point, he has a strong chance to win.

As for Kyrgios... he is not only a much more physically talented player than Fritz, but Kyrgios has more natural physical ability for tennis than any other current player - including Federer.

Fritz couldn’t beat an injured Djokovic last year (Aussie Open 2021) - Fritz was up 2 sets to love vs. the injured Djokovic.
Similar scenario yesterday vs. an injured Nadal.
Granted, Nadal and Djokovic are the most mentally strong players on tour... But the bottom line is that Mr. Vanilla Fritz has no killer instinct at all.
And so, as I said after he blew that golden opportunity last year at the Aussie Open - no matter how physically good he may or may not be, he will never be a top 5 player.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'm putting this here as well. Until or unless he says something stupid I like this man Fritz. When he won the warm up right before Wimbledon he ga e a shout out to the mother of his son and his girlfriend.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:10 pm

I'm putting this here as well. Until or unless he says something stupid I like this man Fritz. When he won the warm up right before Wimbledon he ga e a shout out to the mother of his son and his girlfriend.
Seriously, you want to win and advance. You want to earn it. No gimmes.