'22 Wimbledon Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Great tournament for Taylor Fritz and the last standing American is gone.

Now I can officially say Rafa will beat Kyrgios.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm Great tournament for Taylor Fritz and the last standing American is gone.

What a heartbreaker for Fritz. Played a lousy tiebreak. I really though he was going to win when he went from 2-4 down in the fifth to 5-4 up. Rafa said in his interview that he hopes he can be ready to play the semi, first of all. My guess is he will. Hope he can handle Nick's serve.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:44 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:31 pm Great tournament for Taylor Fritz and the last standing American is gone.

What a heartbreaker for Fritz. Played a lousy tiebreak. I really though he was going to win when he went from 2-4 down in the fifth to 5-4 up. Rafa said in his interview that he hopes he can be ready to play the semi, first of all. My guess is he will. Hope he can handle Nick's serve.
Taylor Fritz also has a pretty nice serve, but not as big as Nick's. I do think Rafa will be ready and I think the match will be hard fought, but he will win the mental battle and win the match.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

OMG, you Rafa fans. Year after year after year of this.

Is Rafa injured? Of course. However....this was a match of an alumni of the Cornet School of Ouchy Melodrama vs. an alumni of the Isner School of No Returns and Missed Big Point First Serves.

Rafa wins? Wow. How shocking. WHO could have seen THAT happening?!?! :o

YES, somehow, Rafa first found the one Magic Doctor in the world who knew how to Magically remove all of those impolite feet nerves. So, certainly, Uncle Toni and Papa Nadal will now scour the world until they found the one Magic Doctor who will caress Rafa's abdomen until, poof, it falls out, and No More Pain.

THEN, get ready for the following excitement to come in the SF: "It's Rafa up match point in the first set tiebreaker, 387-386, when....OMG, all of Rafa's extremities have fallen out, his intestines have oozed out of this orifices, blood is covering the center court. Certainly Pirate Pants will have to default now. But....wait just a minute.....Are we really seeing this? Why, suddenly, Rafa's brain has popped out of his now shrunken skull, furiously grabs his racquet...serves and volleys and....IT'S A MIRACLE! RAFA NADAL IS INTO THE WIMBLEDON FINAL!!!!!!!!"

(After which, Rafa's Heroic Brain gets a headache and is forced to retire pre-final, giving Novax the Wimbledon final win. Rafa's Heroic Brain finally decides to retire so he can spend time with his children (let's not think too hard about how THAT happened....) Restrictions are then lifted, and Novax wins the US Open, all Grand Slams in 2023 and 2024, and is anointed GOAT. The Inevitable End.) :gorgeous:
Last edited by nelslus on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

Alternate post: YES, at least currently, Rafa is, indeed, the GOAT. PFFFFFFTTTTT. :)

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:07 pm OMG, you Rafa fans. Year after year after year of this.

Is Rafa injured? Of course. However....this was a match of an alumni of the Cornet School of Ouchy Melodrama vs. an alumni of the Isner School of No Returns and Missed Big Point First Serves.

Rafa wins? Wow. How shocking. WHO could have seen THAT happening?!?! :o

YES, somehow, Rafa found the one Magic Doctor in the world who knew how to Magically remove all of those impolite feet nerves. So, certainly, Uncle Toni and Papa Nadal will scour the world until they found the one Magic Doctor who will caress Rafa's abdomen until, poof, it falls out, and No More Pain.

THEN, get ready for the following excitement to come in the SF: "It's Rafa up match point in the first set tiebreaker, 387-386, when....OMG, all of Rafa's extremities have fallen out, his intestines have oozed out of this orifices, blood is covering the center court. Certainly Pirate Pants will have to default now. But....wait just a minute.....Are we really seeing this? Why, suddenly, Rafa's brain has popped out of his now shrunken skull, furiously grabs his racquet...serves and volleys and....IT'S A MIRACLE! RAFA NADAL IS INTO THE WIMBLEDON FINAL!!!!!!!!"

(After which, Rafa's Heroic Brain gets a headache and is forced to retire pre-final, giving Novax the Wimbledon final win. Rafa's Heroic Brain finally decides to retire so he can spend time with his children (let's not think too hard about how THAT happened....) Restrictions are then lifted, and Novax wins the US Open, all Grand Slams in 2023 and 2024, and is anointed GOAT. The Inevitable End.) :gorgeous:
Bravo! Rafa is your muse!

I agree with the larger point, but Fritz really did sorta blow this with a lousy tiebreak. I think it was on his racket by one extra string.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I love it when these players that fake injuries take it to the extreme that they drop their serves from 120MPH to 95-100MPH. Talk about a commitment to your craft! :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 pm I love it when these players that fake injuries take it to the extreme that they drop their serves from 120MPH to 95-100MPH. Talk about a commitment to your craft! :)
I don't think Rafa was faking it, and I'm not sure Nelslus is saying that, either. Maybe, I don't know. To me, the point is that Rafa comes through these injuries time and time again, so let's not act so amazed. That kind of thing.

I truly did think Fritz was going to win, but just by a hair. I don't think Rafa did anything special to beat him down the stretch, other than putting pressure on Fritz in all the right ways. Fritz got tight.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm, and I felt that, you know, Fire Vs Fire...
I am so lousy with emoji's. Really. About to be the poster boy for a new medical condition: emoji-challenged :cry:

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:13 pmI don't think Rafa was faking it, and I'm not sure Nelslus is saying that, either. Maybe, I don't know. To me, the point is that Rafa comes through these injuries time and time again, so let's not act so amazed. That kind of thing.

I truly did think Fritz was going to win, but just by a hair. I don't think Rafa did anything special to beat him down the stretch, other than putting pressure on Fritz in all the right ways. Fritz got tight.
*Absolutely, NO one, including myself, was intimating that Rafa was faking anything. Just that, he can be, IMO, melodramatic about all his injury/health stuff. I mean, anyone who plays tennis deals with pain issues. Every player, and most especially Roger, Rafa and Novax have their sh*t. (Frankly, I now wish Roger had been more a drama queen.) I think that Rafa is majorly motivated by "miraculously" winning these matches- injured! match points down!- he still wins!! (I view Serena as the same kind of drama queen.)

I mean, regardless of whether I'm right or wrong (spoiler alert: I'm right here. :gorgeous: )- Who cares? Clearly, "Whatever it Takes" has worked extremely well for the inhuman insanely talented Rafa, Novax and Roger.

*You're not wrong about Fritz either, of course. But, my view also sticks. First point of the tiebreaker, Fritz misses his first serve- I knew he was going to lose that point. Sets the tiebreaker up very badly, helps to relax Rafa. Fritz then missed most of his first serves in the tiebreaker- his only really big advantage vs. Rafa. Fritz had to hit Rafa off of the court, and/or find ways to get Rafa in very uncomfortable positions. Once any kind of regular rally is going on- no way Rafa is going to lose.
Last edited by nelslus on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 pm I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm, and I felt that, you know, Fire Vs Fire...
I am so lousy with emoji's. Really. About to be the poster boy for a new medical condition: emoji-challenged :cry:
When in doubt: :gorgeous:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:01 pm I know I've said this before, but Rybakina was on a roll in early 2020 before the shutdown. She was one of the hottest players on tour. I always felt Covid hurt her more than a lot of people in terms of momentum. Nice to see her get a great result like this.

Welp, no Ajla/Nick reunion at the Champions Ball.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm too. I know he's not a big Rafa fan but in his own way he was giving the devil his due.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I wasn't able to watch the majority of the match because I was at practice. What I did catch I saw two players that were giving it their all to attempt to make it to the semi final. I didn't see the extent of the abdominal injury for Nadal, but it is something that is a lingering injury for him and probably when he went back to get help for it he took some sort of medicine to try and get him through the pain which seemed to help and went on. Everyone knows he is not a quitter.

Taylor Fritz certainly gave it everything he had and had a horrible tie breaker in the 5th set unfortunately and a very hard fought 5 set match went to Rafa. The match could have easily gone the other way if Taylor would have made some shots in the tie breaker. Both players played a hard fought match and one just came out barely on top in the end.

I will be watching the full match later.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:26 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 pm I thought Nelslus was using sarcasm, and I felt that, you know, Fire Vs Fire...
When in doubt: :gorgeous:
It has been a personal problem all my life. I simply deadpan my jokes. You would not believe the things that I have said, that then people believe I am saying seriously, simply because I did not even wink when I said it.
(Sample: going to a routine medical check-up, I said "most likely it is cancer; better, that way I can put an end to this farce!" I got home and this person had called my Girlfriend to ask about my imminent demise. I kid you not).
:cry: