'22 Wimbledon Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

Condolences, Rafa fans- horrible news.

However, truly, I am very glad that he has made this sane choice. Unlike some in here, I am very much not on board with players always completing matches, regardless of injury or illness. Venus played through her abdominal injury during one of their Wimbledon finals against Serena- and she managed to first beat Kim, and, sure, she played some great tennis in the final. AND then she had to be off the tour for quite a long time.

IMO, Leylah should have quit her match at the French, and Rafa- incredible effort to win and all- should have quit his match with Fritz. I mean, when your family is telling you to quit....Leylah at least, obviously, has youth on her side. Rafa took huge risks to win this match- and this could have serious implications for the rest of his career, or at least this year. (AND, when Rafa wins this year's US Open, and a bunch more Slam titles, you all can most assuredly remind me how wrong I was.)

The older players also have to take into account their upcoming quality of life. Tiger's gonna be dealing with a ton of hurt for the rest of his life- and, I'd hate for this to happen to Rafa, Roger, and even Novak.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yes, but Tiger smashed his car at 90MPH against a tree. There are different injuries there.
If Rafa had not had this mentality of not quit ever, or until it was really beyond the scale, he would have not been the same player. Not quitting a match, a game, a point. Who knows how many matches he won just because of that, and how many opponents went out there knowing they did not have a chance, with Rafa winning the match in the locker room.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Rafa continuing yesterday. He is the ultimate competitor, and if I were Taylor Fritz, I would not have wanted to advance by retirement. Fritz had his chance and couldn't get it done. I have a feeling Nadal would have been out for the same amount of time if he had retired in the second set.

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:35 amYes, but Tiger smashed his car at 90MPH against a tree. There are different injuries there.
If Rafa had not had this mentality of not quit ever, or until it was really beyond the scale, he would have not been the same player. Not quitting a match, a game, a point. Who knows how many matches he won just because of that, and how many opponents went out there knowing they did not have a chance, with Rafa winning the match in the locker room.
Tiger also ruined his body from all of his masochistic work-out insanities (that would have been enough for many of his problems), in addition to the inebriated car crashes and all that- AND he's still playing?

Of course, Roger, Rafa and Novak won a lot of matches in the locker room, and wanted to keep that benefit for as long as possible- which does mean, hanging in there. Plus, they just have been superior players.

But, like has happened with football players (YES, of course, a different sport)- I don't want tennis players to have to go through the rest of their lives hobbled and/or in pain. So, I remain genuinely appreciative that Rafa is making the wise choice here (like Roger being out for so long- albeit, I'd just as soon Roger doesn't try to come back. Don't want to see him as a non-contender.)

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:54 amI have a feeling Nadal would have been out for the same amount of time if he had retired in the second set.
Could be- we shall have to see. It is also possible that Rafa is gonna get some rude awakenings here. I think Roger hadn't planned to be out for so long. I again use the example of Venus- finishing off Kim and then playing Serena, and then having to be out a long time. And, Venus was a lot younger than Rafa is now. Of course, it could be that the tear Rafa has isn't anywhere near as bad. Still, IMO he took a huge risk here with the Fritz match- especially now that he has stated that this had started being an issue for the past week, if I am remembering what he said correctly. I'm very glad he's not trying to play 1-2 more matches.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

As for Halep... As I mentioned yesterday, the mental part of her game is her weak point - by far.
It's somewhat odd, though - because she is definitely a fighter... we saw yesterday how much she fought for points. So she definitely possesses a high degree of determination. But she gets down on herself very easily and quickly, and sort of punishes herself (yells at herself, and even hits herself rather frequently). I feel that this is her undoing. While some players use anger to kick themselves in the butt and motivate themselves, in Halep's case, her anger certainly seems to have a negative effect on her.
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:11 pm Elena could blow Ons off court. Ons can't blow Elena off.
^ But she could carve Elena up...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:10 am ...

Could be- we shall have to see. It is also possible that Rafa is gonna get some rude awakenings here. I think Roger hadn't planned to be out for so long. I again use the example of Venus- finishing off Kim and then playing Serena, and then having to be out a long time. And, Venus was a lot younger than Rafa is now. Of course, it could be that the tear Rafa has isn't anywhere near as bad. Still, IMO he took a huge risk here with the Fritz match- especially now that he has stated that this had started being an issue for the past week, if I am remembering what he said correctly. I'm very glad he's not trying to play 1-2 more matches.
A 7mm tear, on soft tissue, should heal in time for him to play part of the N. American circuit and be ready for the USO.
But, with Rafa, who knows. So far this year: the congenital foot problems, a broken rib, and an abs tear. With him, you really have to start wondering what else can happen. A torn ear ligament, incontrollable eyelid hiccups (when serving), (even more) accelerated alopecia. He has got to be one of the most extreme cases of extreme conditions: one of the strongest bodies ever, and one of the most fragile.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem