'22 Wimbledon Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 pm More weird stats: Progress of the WTA. 20 years ago, a Tunisian/Kazak final was unthinkable (and yes, I said Rybakina is Kazak only by passport). Today, the four SF players were Tunisian, Kazak, Romanian and German.
Love this! So diverse. The eight semifinalists represent eight countries on four continents.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:33 pm MEANWHILE, Rajeev and Joe had 5-6 match points in the 3rd set tiebreaker SF- some while serving. Not sure either one of them got one first serve in- and this also included a Joe double fault. They, of course, have now lost in 5. VERY ironically, they saved numerous match points against the same team during last year's US Open. Since then, this team has made Rajeev and Joe pay- they also beat Rajeev and Joe at this year's Aussie Open.

Seriously- sometimes- I truly hate this sport.
Ouch. I still remember when they had 8 or 9 match points in the ATP Finals semi a couple years ago. I think they were up 9-1 in the match tiebreak and managed to lose it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About that doubles. I said it a while back. It has got to be the sole sport in which you only need to win ONE MORE POINT, and then, a considerable time later, and after actually having won MANY, MANY points, you still lost the match.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I didn't get to see the Halep/Rybakina match, but glanced at the stats from it when I got back from practice and the things that really stood out for me was the poor serving from Halep and the limit that Elena had with unforced errors in the match. That must have been the success for Elena.

I think if Elena can have that sort of formula against Ons in the final she is gonna win it all. My vote is for Elena now mostly because I want to hear her little kid squeaky voice doing the speech when she wins. :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

From the who moves better: Rybakina actually ran a bit more (1750 Mts / 1720). That I find a bit odd.
Or maybe: Rybakina left Simona flat on several occasions (she did), while SImona seldom did.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Oh, no! So sad for Rafa.

Post by meganfernandez »

Irena2 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm Oh, no! So sad for Rafa.
Oh, god. That's awful. It must be serious to withdraw from a semi. Maybe won't see him again this year except Laver? Kinda wish he had stopped yesterday and let Fritz play on, but that's not how it works.

I don't think I can watch the final. I won't watch Nick's circuses anymore. Haven't seen any of his matches or interviews.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 am I thought about the Under 14's tournament here at Wimbledon and since it is in the Round Robin style of play they might play 1 set player to 8 games wins. I remember when I was little playing that way before. I am not certain that is what they are doing here as it might still be the best two out of three, but since it is listed as a Round Robin style tournament that is the first thing that popped into my head about the possible scoring.
Thanks C4C. That makes sense.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 am I thought about the Under 14's tournament here at Wimbledon and since it is in the Round Robin style of play they might play 1 set player to 8 games wins. I remember when I was little playing that way before. I am not certain that is what they are doing here as it might still be the best two out of three, but since it is listed as a Round Robin style tournament that is the first thing that popped into my head about the possible scoring.
Thanks C4C. That makes sense.
It might make sense, but it is not correct. I am watching some of the matches today and they are playing the regular 2 out of 3 sets.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I saw a bit of the first set of Halep vs Rybakina. To say Halep was flat is putting it mildly. She almost looked disinterested in the match and her play. She peaked yesterday and as someone here said it would be she hadn't recouped enough to play a solid match today.

Ironic isn't it that Rybakina, born in Moscow (and still living there), now playing for Kazakhstan, is in the final and has a chance at lifting the Venus Rosewater plate.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, and she still lives in Moscow?
I mean: are all Russian players contacting the Kazak Tennis Federation for papers?

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Think about the big possibility of a player who lives in Russia winning this with the ban and the points not given. That would look pretty foolish on Wimbledon if it happens.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

The second layer of irony here is that Kazakhstan is a dictatorship that in January squashed pro-democracy protests with the help of the Russian military.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:37 pm The second layer of irony here is that Kazakhstan is a dictatorship that in January squashed pro-democracy protests with the help of the Russian military.
:slaptothefaceemojithatwedon'thave:
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 pmOuch. I still remember when they had 8 or 9 match points in the ATP Finals semi a couple years ago. I think they were up 9-1 in the match tiebreak and managed to lose it.
LOL, happily, I don't recall this match. BUT- Joe and Rajeev also blew numerous match points in this year's French QF. A very, very bad habit that the other doubles teams will be fully aware.

Having said that, they wouldn't have won the US Open doubles last year if they hadn't saved multiple match points during the QF. So, you live by the sword....

IN any case, sadly, I could see this team now breaking up any time this year. They are just blowing way too many opportunities. And, I am sure that there would be a huge bidding war to get Joe as your doubles partner. Grandpa Rajeev, my favorite, could certainly also get a very good partner. But, Joe, obviously, has youth on his side.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous: